saving files as PDF with Publisher

Hello,

When you save a Publisher file as a PDF, can you make it very-high
resolution?  I see options for high-quality printing and commercial
printing, but it doesn't say the dpi specs.

I know that PDF's are often made to lower the file size for web
viewing and e-mailing.  But I want a giant PDF that is super high
resolution.  1200dpi, nothing compressed.

Just wondering if I can get a super-sharp printing file out of the
Publisher PDF authoring, or if I will have to get the Adobe version or
another company's version to get a really crisp file.

Of course you can assuming that you have high resolution images. Just
because an image is high resolution does not mean that they are any
good. More dots per inch does not necessarily equate to higher quality.
there is a point of diminishing returns and a point where you just screw
up a perfectly good (or bad) picture by having too much resolution.

If you look at the settings for high quality and commercial press you'll
notice that they are the same, images over 450 DPI are down sampled to
300 DPI, monochrome images over 3600 DPI are down sampled to 2400. Both
settings are exceedingly over any necessary requirements for general
printing. Even for "high quality" printing... God, I just love how
"quality this" or "quality that" get tossed around. Quality printing at
133 LPI looks good. Not so good quality at 133 looks like crap. Same
thing with 200 LPI an 10 micron Staccato. If it ain't done right it's
going to like crap. If it's done right, it's going to look good.

PDF's are made smaller for web posting and emailing but not necessarily
by changing the resolution down drastically. Sometimes it is as simple
as changing the image compression method, and amount, as well as making
a modest change in resolution. Like I said above, having too much
resolution is a bad thing. Actually, being a bit under the resolution
threshold is a bit better than being over sampled. The last thing you
want is a super-high res PDF like 1200 DPI and uncompressed. You want
300 DPI for color and grayscale images and 1200 to 2400 for monochrome
images. Without getting into all the technical details of halftones,
spot sizes, dot sizes, screen frequencies and angles suffice it to say
that 300/1200 is plenty of information to produce a quality piece. You
can reproduce images as low as 225 DPI at 150 LPI. The idea of having no
compression is of no real consequence and generally absurd. Having some
compression is a good thing if you are sending files over the internet.
Even if you are storing them it's not a bad thing. Modern computing
power is so high at this point that the CPU cycles required for
compressing image data while being normalized is modest at best. I doubt
you will see a significant speed improvement by going with no image
compression. ZIP compression is lossless, meaning image data is not
deleted in order to achieve a higher level of compression. You end up
with lower compression ratios but you also preserve all the original
image data. Whereas JPEG and JPEG2000 are lossy image compression
formats. Lossy meaning image data is deleted (somewhat intelligently)in
order to achieve greater compression ratios. The higher the quality
setting for JPEG and JPEG2000 the less image data is removed. Conversely
the lower the quality level the more data is removed. JPEG2000 suffers
less from artifacts than JPEG does, but not many applications and
printers support JPEG2000. JPEG also suffers from the problem of
progressive saving causing more data loss which results in more
artifacts becoming obvious. The problem is that every time you save a
JPEG in an image editor you go through the entire image compression
sequence each time you save the document. Each time you do that data is
averaged and then deleted. Do it a few times and you'll see what
happens. In Acrobat Distiller the default for some settings is to
preserve the original JPEG encoding whenever possible.

Chances are that what ever scanner you might be using won't have the
dynamic range or the level of optics and image processing to produce a
high quality scan. Digital camera's aren't much better unless you get
into DSLR's. Many point and shoot cameras can produce quite stunning
results if basic rules of photography are followed. I've seen some real
shitty pictures taken with $30,000 Leaf digital camera backs. I've got
some great pictures from my Sony DSC-W7, a $180 7MP digital camera.
Heck, for most applications shooting at 5MP is as good as shooting at 7MP.

Whether you use Publisher, Scribus, PageMaker, InDesign, Quark, Ready
Set Go!, Apple Pages or some other program you can get excellent results
if you follow some basic rules about desktop publishing, image
reproduction and prepress/printing. If you want to do it right, use the
right techniques and forget the idea that bigger is better. Often bigger
causes more problems than it creates benefits and results in a piece of
junk being printed.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Markzware Recognized Trainer
(206) 201-2320 - Main
(720) 367-3869 - eFax
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.automatetheworkflow.com
http://www.mattbeals.com
http://forums.mattbeals.com

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

genericaudioperson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When you save a Publisher file as a PDF, can you make it very-high
> resolution?  I see options for high-quality printing and commercial
> printing, but it doesn't say the dpi specs.
>
> I know that PDF's are often made to lower the file size for web
> viewing and e-mailing.  But I want a giant PDF that is super high
> resolution.  1200dpi, nothing compressed.
>
> Just wondering if I can get a super-sharp printing file out of the
> Publisher PDF authoring, or if I will have to get the Adobe version or
> another company's version to get a really crisp file.

0
matt4238 (148)
7/13/2007 4:25:41 AM
Thanks Matt,

So if you are printing mostly line art black and white pictures that
are not resized that much once they are placed in Publisher, is 600dpi
good enough for the imported file?

I noticed you mentioned 2400dpi as a standard for monochrome
printing.  That kind of makes me think I should use 1200dpi to get
good lines and good small lettering.

How can I update my "Publisher for Windows 95"?
I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? one_thing_303 wrote: > I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a > more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? The current version of Publisher is Publisher 2007, available at most software stores as well as online. Check that your computer meets the system requirements before purchasing. Publisher has undergone rather a substantial number of chan...

Test file needed quickly
Does anyone know where I can get a very large testt excel file that has a running macro? What I need to do is to run several apps that will "drain" most of my resources. I need to test another app in how it will handle low resources. I was thinking someone might have a test file just for this reason. A large spreadsheet that has a macro doing some calculations, at the same time while other apps are running. Thanks ahead for any help or suggestions. You realize if you fill a cell and then copy it to the rest of the sheet, it get really big, really fast? Dave wrote: > Doe...

Code Bloat/Growing Excel files?

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

money file extraction: virus or worm
hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it started extracting a bunch of files. then that screen closed. now the program will not work. is there a worm or virus targeting people's MOney files? travis johnson lafayette, oregon In microsoft.public.money, travis johnson wrote: >hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of >starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it >started extracting a bunch of files. > >then that screen closed. > >now the program will not work. > >i...

Save and save as

Saving Images

Accessing Excel files over network
Hi Guys, First time here, so go easy on me. Scenario: Basic Windows 2000 Server based network with about 20 work stations connections. Server is a DC and workstations are all running Windows XP Pro. Workstations are also running Office XP. Users have deposited common files in a folder on the server. Because of control measures, these excel folders and files need to have permissions defined for either full control of read only access for certain members of the dept. Eg would be Folder Full Control Read-only Folder A Employee 1 Employee 10 ...

"Unattainable" savings goals

Saving default tabs

why I can't declaring a CArray object in a separate header file?
Hello I have no problem declaring a CArray variable inside a class definition but as I have a separate file that I place all my typedefs inside it, I have tried to define a struct that has a CArray member but compiler says: Error 1 error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afxtempl.h 272 this was my code inside TypeDefs.H typedef struct tag_compliance_info { LONG lModuleCode; LONG lModuleVersion; CString sModuleName; CArray<POINT> aCompliance; } STRUCT_COM...

Save to unProtect a Document?

PST file import to windows mail
I have chage my PC and I cannot import the PST outlook file in to my new windows Mail so far A error message appaer when I try to import a outlook message. Is someone have an idea regarding this issue Thanks Philippe You need outlook installed and configured on the Vista PC before you can import There is a workaround, assuming the old pc with outlook on is still available. You export your mail to outlook express, then copy the outlook express msg store to the Vista PC, then Mail can import it. Or you download the Office trial, with outlook, connect your pst as default to outlook, ...

Save csv format to dbf format

Daylight Savings Time #2

Export drawing to EMF file
Hello, How do I export a drawing to an EMF (or other image type) file using the ActiveX in VB6? I've tried the SaveAs and a file is created but it is empty. TIA Vic ...

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

Attachments Opening as Read Only File
Whenever I open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint email attachment, the file opens up as "read only"; this does not happen to any other file attachment. Support says Microsoft is aware of this problem - has it been corrected? I am having the same problem. Did you ever get it fixed???? "Reed" wrote: > Whenever I open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint email > attachment, the file opens up as "read only"; this does > not happen to any other file attachment. Support says > Microsoft is aware of this problem - has it been > corrected? > ...

Personal macros file
I keep a number of blocks of code in my personal.xls startup file just to have them readily at hand and perform routine tasks more quickly (and sometimes to save bits that were hard to figure out how to do). My company has chosen a somewhat chaotic approach to transitioning staff/depts from Excel 2003 to 2007, resulting in my needing to have both application versions on my PC at the same time. Believe me, I KNOW this is not recommended. So, here is my question. I've succeeded in creating one personal.xls file in my startup folder that opens for either application - though...