Recovering a publisher file from its .tmp file

I am not familiar with Publisher 2002 and its workings. One of my bosses was
creating a company news letter and while inserting, rather large, pictures
she crashed and it saved all the work as a .tmp.

I tried renaming the file to a .pub with no avail.

I am primarily interested in recovering the text.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!

Thanks,
Jim
0
Jim8980 (510)

Try Open, files of type, scroll down to "recover text from any file" and browse to
the file.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not familiar with Publisher 2002 and its workings. One of my bosses was
> creating a company news letter and while inserting, rather large, pictures
> she crashed and it saved all the work as a .tmp.
>
> I tried renaming the file to a .pub with no avail.
>
> I am primarily interested in recovering the text.
>
> Any hints or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

0
gsauer (5094)
1/10/2005 5:54:28 PM
Thanks for the idea.

Although it didn't work.  It converts about 50% of the file then bogs my
machine down.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Try Open, files of type, scroll down to "recover text from any file" and browse to
> the file.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not familiar with Publisher 2002 and its workings. One of my bosses was
> > creating a company news letter and while inserting, rather large, pictures
> > she crashed and it saved all the work as a .tmp.
> >
> > I tried renaming the file to a .pub with no avail.
> >
> > I am primarily interested in recovering the text.
> >
> > Any hints or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

0
Jim8980 (510)
1/10/2005 6:17:03 PM
Did the file have a lot of images? Try sliding down the acceleration some,
right-click the desktop, properties, settings, advanced button, troubleshoot tab...

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Thanks for the idea.
>
> Although it didn't work.  It converts about 50% of the file then bogs my
> machine down.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Try Open, files of type, scroll down to "recover text from any file" and browse to
>> the file.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not familiar with Publisher 2002 and its workings. One of my bosses was
>> > creating a company news letter and while inserting, rather large, pictures
>> > she crashed and it saved all the work as a .tmp.
>> >
>> > I tried renaming the file to a .pub with no avail.
>> >
>> > I am primarily interested in recovering the text.
>> >
>> > Any hints or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jim

0
gsauer (5094)
1/10/2005 8:04:37 PM
That didn't work either.

When I open it to recover the text I can see it but it seems once it gets to
pictures thats when it hangs.

Is there some way I can edit the .tmp file to remove the images?

Thanks again for your help Mary!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Did the file have a lot of images? Try sliding down the acceleration some,
> right-click the desktop, properties, settings, advanced button, troubleshoot tab...
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the idea.
> >
> > Although it didn't work.  It converts about 50% of the file then bogs my
> > machine down.
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Try Open, files of type, scroll down to "recover text from any file" and browse to
> >> the file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Jim8980 (510)
1/10/2005 9:13:08 PM
Jim, I don't know how you can recover the file. If you want to send it to me I will
give it a go.
Remove "my" to reply.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> That didn't work either.
>
> When I open it to recover the text I can see it but it seems once it gets to
> pictures thats when it hangs.
>
> Is there some way I can edit the .tmp file to remove the images?
>
> Thanks again for your help Mary!
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Did the file have a lot of images? Try sliding down the acceleration some,
>> right-click the desktop, properties, settings, advanced button, troubleshoot
>> tab...
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the idea.
>> >
>> > Although it didn't work.  It converts about 50% of the file then bogs my
>> > machine down.

0
gsauer (5094)

open file (as variable) from macro
User inputs a date etc., I add path in front of date and some other manipulation, and come up w/ the filename that I'm trying to open with a macro. Then I work on that file, print it, etc. and want to close it. Problem is, when I record the "open filename", it puts that one filename in my macro as literal, rather than the cell address. I need that to be variable. As is, even when a different date is entered by user, it still keeps opening the same file cuz it's recorded that way in the macro. Maybe something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wkbk As Workbook ...

Template error? (Publisher 2007; Avery 3268 or 8317)
I'm trying to print my own "Thank you" cards with Avery note cards, product number 3268. The product is supposed to yield two cards per US letter-size sheet. The sheets are microperforated to break apart the two cards, and each card is pre-scored to make it easy to fold into a 4-1/4" X 5-1/2" card. I've used this same Avery product before (in fact, the very same box) to make small holiday greeting cards, but at the time I was using a Broderbund software product that I no longer own. I even have an extra card left over from that long-ago project, and the card ...

Linking Word and Publisher files
Hi, Is it possible to have links between files saved in Word, Publisher and Powerpoint 2003? I have been working on a twenty page document saved in each program. As I make updates, can I have each of the files in each separate program updated when I make one new save? -- Frankly Speaking Insert, object, create from file, browse to the file, check link. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Frankly Speaking" <FranklySpeaking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D024A22-8FFF-421D-9C86-E825E1...

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

There has been an error reading or writing the file '.'
I've the Money Deluxe 2004. When I go to the Reports (Account Transations, Payee, ...) it crash and give me that message. How can I resolve? thanks ...

How do I change the undo limit in Publisher?
Many thanks for an answer. I don't know if it can be done. My experience is that it will allow you to undo all the way back to the last save. (Publisher 2000) -- Don Vancouver, USA "Troy Filipek" <Troy Filipek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C46822D6-26EC-4D29-8DD6-4358D32D9E4A@microsoft.com... > Many thanks for an answer. I see. Not very convenient, is it? You would think that if an entry-level graphic software like Paint Shop would allow unlimited "undos" then something like Publisher 2007 should have it with no questions aske...

Procedure for sending an email in Publisher
I am trying to use Publisher for the first time to send an email newsletter. I have selected one of the templates and I was trying to send it to myself as a test. When I typed my email address and hit "send" I received an error message from Outlook Express. It said "Access to the account was denied. Verify that your username and password are correct. Account: Hotmail, Server: http://services.msn.com/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: Bad Password, Port: 0, Secure (SSL): No, Error Number 0x800CCC32 I would greatly appreciate some guidanc...

Publisher #58
How do I set up a self running brochure in publisher??? Thanks, Amber Define "self running". -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Amber" <Amber @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68260A3F-0070-4DA2-B361-0187F77FF8A4@microsoft.com... > How do I set up a self running brochure in publisher??? Thanks, Amber Amber wrote: > How do I set up a self running brochure in publisher??? Thanks, Amber Find your "self", feel "publisher", what a burn! ...

Excel File Size issues
Hi, I deal with large excel files (varies between few MB upto 130MB!) One file in particular is causing a huge issue and the problem is: File is @ 120MB so I decided to split to two parts one has the data and formulas an the other contain pivot tables. the result was disappointing the dat file is @ 76MB and the Pivot file is @ 126MB !!! I couldn't figure ou why the size is larger now (I copied each sheet by right clicking o the sheet tag and created a copy to a new work book)??? Being creative person that I am ;) I decided to open a brand new work boo and copied each sheet by clicking...

What do I do if I have publisher on computer but no software?
I pushased Microsoft Publisher online and downloaded it onto computer. I have purchased rights to use on multi computers. However, the computer tech that I had for my company is the one that did this for me. I have additional computers that need this software as well as I would like to have a hard copy of the software. Can anyone help me with this situation? embrace <embrace@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I pushased Microsoft Publisher online and downloaded it onto > computer. I have purchased rights to use on multi computers. > However, ...

Different headers needed in Publisher 2003
For some inane reason, this newbie here cannot seem to get the headers to be different in spite of the use of section breaks! I need to use different headers for the different sections but when I change a header in one section, it changes thoughout the entire publication!! Can anyone help please??!!! Edit, turn off synchronize. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jujube" <jujube@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0C4C7F2-64D5-4F8B-8021-F0EA43F4A966@microsoft.com... > For some inane re...

creating excel file on the internet
Hi, I have a report that I generated on a web page, and I might have the need to get the information to an excel file. I have tried the export to excel, but because I am using cold fusion to generate the report, the normal way of exporting to excel doesn't work. Currently, I just select the complete report and do cut and paste to Excel manually. Just want to see if anyone can help me to automatically do this manual part using JavaScript or other method. Thanks! ...

My publisher emails r low quality
When creating a publisher doc it's lookin fine but then when I try to send it, the images become grainy and low quality. Any suggestions? Tools, Options, Web tab, e-mail options. Check the .jpg option. Otherwise convert your publication to a PDF. What version Publisher are you using? There are free converters around, do a search for free PDF converter. If you have 2007 there is a free Microsoft save as PDF. https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en-- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "kitts63" <...

printing banners set up in Publisher
I would like to print a banner set up in Publisher in color book setting...only prints outline of font. Is this possible? I've done it before in Print Shop but can't find a setting in Publisher Use WordArt. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ble" <ble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D82DECA3-7BC2-4ED7-935D-CEE8C3F8AB47@microsoft.com... >I would like to print a banner set up in Publisher in color book > setting...only prints outline of font. Is this possible? I've done it before > in Print Shop but can't find a setting in Publ...

Sending Multi-page e-mails out of Publisher
My wife has a 4-page resume and cover letter that she is trying to send as one continuous (scrollable) document in an e-mail. So far, we have only been successful at sending one page at a time. Does anyone know how we can send the entire 4 pages as one long e-mail? She thinks she has to reformat it all over again into one large page, but if there's a way to save doing all that work over again, it'd sure be nice to know about it. Thanks, Jim Carruth jcarruth wrote: > Does anyone know how we can send the entire 4 pages as one long e-mail? She > thinks she has to reforma...

File Locked for Editting.
We have a network running on server 2003, client machines are all Windows XP SP1. I have a user that consistently when opening .xls files that are stored on the server, gets the popup message, <filename> is locked for editting by 'user'. The odd thing is, the 'user' is the user that is opening that file.. and she does not have it open allready. Also, the open and close time of her files are a lot slower than they should be. Any ideas? Justin One possible cause....... Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open. Sometimes this *....

Can't view files with latest beta2 refresh #2
I downloaded the latest Beta2 refresh and now I cant access any of my word and publisher docs. It says "can't find file" or some such thing. I thought I read somewhere that the view and print functions in the latest refresh have been disabled. This is MOST inconvenient as every piece of business on my hard drive is now useless....is there any way of fixing this? Yes, you've said that already. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Fabman" <Fabman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9FD0DA9-F0DF-4CFF-ACB9-8207333DEBE7@microsoft.co...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

Office Publisher 2003 email activity opens as a print publication
Using Publisher 2003, I click on "email" and then "activity". Then when I select a template, it opens as a "print publication" instead, which doesn't allow me to transfer it to the body of an email. Any ideas why this is happening and what can be done about it? Thanks!! That's how it works, although I've never done it that way. I'd usually create the document first, then File | Send Email... -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56CDA6...

"File Format is not valid" message
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet that I've been using successfully. I don't recall anything that might have caused file corruption. However, now, when I try to open the file, I get the message "File Format is not valid". But, the excel icon is shown and in a file list, it's displayed as type Excel. Any ideas how I can open this file?? Thanks in advance. The message you sent later appears to have been to cancel this post you said it was a Word file with an .xls file extension. Opening an Excel file in word is one way of destroying an Excel file. If that is the ...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

Embedded File Not Opening Correctly
I have embedded PDF files in an excel spreadsheet that were created with valid, non-Adobe software. When other users without this software try to open the embedded file, they get an error message that their computer "cannot open the source application". They have no problem opening the PDF if I send it to them directly. If I embed a PDF created with Adobe Acrobat, other users do not experience this problem. Can the association with my PDF software be removed from the embedded files so the recipients' default PDF viewer will simply open the embedded file? Thanks...

Publisher to PDF #3
How do I convert a publisher file to PDF file so I can email it. I did have a programme to do this but lost in re formatt of hardrive. thanks In article <%612j.120635$7_4.118399@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "S" <nonense@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > How do I convert a publisher file to PDF file so I can email it. > I did have a programme to do this but lost in re formatt of hardrive. > I use the Broadgun PDF machine to do this - cheaper that Adobe Distiller -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /'...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...