Read-only problems

When I down load pictures from the card into a publisher file, some of the
pictures are "read-only".  It will not allow me to do anything with them
because "access is denied".  How do I remove the "read-only"?

--
Thank you, Bonnie
0

When you say card, do you mean removable media? Copy the image to your hard
drive, right-click, properties, uncheck read only.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I down load pictures from the card into a publisher file, some of the
> pictures are "read-only".  It will not allow me to do anything with them
> because "access is denied".  How do I remove the "read-only"?
>
> --
> Thank you, Bonnie

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/14/2008 3:29:32 PM
Copy the photos to your hard drive then change the attribute.

Win XP:
http://www.febooti.com/products/filetweak/tutorials/tutorial-changing-file-attributes.html

I don't have a similar link for Vista however it's basically the same. (I'm
on an XP system right now so bear with me. I may not be exactly correct but
I know I'm close.) Try a right-click on the file name, Properties - clear
the Read Only attribute.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I down load pictures from the card into a publisher file, some of the
> pictures are "read-only".  It will not allow me to do anything with them
> because "access is denied".  How do I remove the "read-only"?
>
> --
> Thank you, Bonnie

0
jl_paules (2767)
3/14/2008 3:30:53 PM
Your answers are good, only problem is - it won't let me do it - it says
"access denied".  The card is from a digital camera.  Note though, that I
said only some pictures are "read-only", the rest are fine.  I tried copying
to the hard drive - but it denies access for me.  I've tried eveything
"normal" way to do it - but it won't let me.
--
Thank you, Bonnie

"Bonnie" wrote:

> When I down load pictures from the card into a publisher file, some of the
> pictures are "read-only".  It will not allow me to do anything with them
> because "access is denied".  How do I remove the "read-only"?
>
> --
> Thank you, Bonnie
0
Bonnie (25)
3/14/2008 4:42:03 PM
Bonnie, This is a Windows issue, you'll get better answers in a Windows
newsgroup.
Meanwhile this article might give you a clue
"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Your answers are good, only problem is - it won't let me do it - it says
> "access denied".  The card is from a digital camera.  Note though, that I
> said only some pictures are "read-only", the rest are fine.  I tried copying
> to the hard drive - but it denies access for me.  I've tried eveything
> "normal" way to do it - but it won't let me.
> --
> Thank you, Bonnie
>

> "Bonnie" wrote:
>
>> When I down load pictures from the card into a publisher file, some of the
>> pictures are "read-only".  It will not allow me to do anything with them
>> because "access is denied".  How do I remove the "read-only"?
>>
>> --
>> Thank you, Bonnie

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Reading .wks file

problem with inventory items with lot numbers
Hello everybody, We have finished goods setup in Great Plains with track on lot numbers. That gives us the possibility to trace each lot and the system not allowed us to go to negatives. But we had a bad experience: if you pick an inventory item “ABC” that have 100 units available under lot number “123” and you want to make a negative variance of 10 units for this lot, after you fill the fields in “Item Transaction Entry” window, it is open “Item Lot Number Entry” window where you need to enter the lot information. Here you can pick the lot & type the quantity (middle of the screen...

File won't open as read only

time_t problem
Hi, I having a problem to convert time_t to DateTime in .Net. Eg. In C++, I used the following method: time_t a 1149719862L; CTime timeTemp = a; timeTemp.Format(_T("%Y-%m-%d %I:%M:%S %p")) Result: 2006-06-07 03:37:42 PM In .Net, long time_t = 1149719862L; long win32FileTime = 10000000*time_t + 116444736000000000; DateTime dt = DateTime.FromFileTime(win32FileTime); String.Format("{0:dd/MM/yyyy hh:mm:ss tt}", dt); Result: 08/06/2006 06:37:42 AM May I know why the above convertion is wrong? Please guide me on how to convert time_t to DateTime. Thank you in advance. ...

Label Wizard Problem #2
The Label format column is blank on on the label wizard and I am unable to continue. I have rebooted computer and program with no success. It sounds like the path to your labels folder is not correct. Check your setting in SOA, File - Configuration - Paths tab then lokk under labels. Make sure it points to the actual folder where your label formats reside. Marc "MKOTTO" <MKOTTO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F8EE211-5B29-4846-9F49-0D3E30F5F2CE@microsoft.com... > The Label format column is blank on on the label wizard and I am unable to > contin...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

reading confirmation

VS C++ 6.0 hanging problem in Windows XP ...
Hi, My VS C++ 6.0 has worked fine for 4 years. Recently I upgraded my os from 2000 to XP. Now my VS C++ 6.0 sometimes just hangs forever after I make a build command. From the output window I know it's linking. Nothing happens if I stop the building (ctrl-break). If I exit, it says that I have to stop building before exiting. Eventually I have to go to the task manager to kill the process. This situation takes place for any of my projects. Not always, but often enough to affect my work. Do you have any idea what is happening or is there any resolution? I have already rein...

Problem with VBA code on command button
I have a form that has a combo box to select a month. The name of the combo box is txtmontha (I realise it would have been better to name it cmb???) The is a command button that when clicked should open a form where the date selected from the combo box is the same value as the date on the form. Here is the code behind the command button: Private Sub cmdopenrecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdopenrecord_Click Dim strqtr As String strqtr = Me.txtmontha.Value Forms!frmMain!SubForm1.SourceObject = "frmFDA" Forms!frmMain!SubForm1.Form.RecordSou...

Problem with Japanese characters
I upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. My wife was sending e-mail messages to her sisters phone in Japan before the upgrade and she could read them. Sending e-mail with Outlook 2003 she can't read them. I set Outlook 2003 to use Plain Text/Japanese (Shift-JIS) after Auto Select didn't work, and she still can,t read the messages. Is there a fix for this? Thanks Harry Do you know what is wrong with the messages? Are they not using Japanese fonts, have garbled text, ASCII characters etc? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

printing problems #2
When some of my coworkers print timelines, the arrows show up but notthe text of the milestones. We use different kinds of printers or print to Adobe. Has anybody else seen this? What's the fix. What version of Visio? Are all service packs installed? What operating system(s)? Which printers are successful and which ones are not? Are all printer drivers up to date? Randall Arnold "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message news:%23PAQ07ioDHA.1708@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When some of my coworkers print timelines, the arrows show up but notthe > text of the mi...

The memory could not be "read".

SHGetFileInfo SHGFI_ICON and DrawIcon problem.
Hi all. I get the handle to icon in system imagelist as: m_hIcon = NULL; SHFILEINFO psfi; ::ZeroMemory(&psfi, sizeof(SHFILEINFO)); if (::SHGetFileInfo(fullPath, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, &psfi, sizeof(SHFILEINFO), SHGFI_USEFILEATTRIBUTES|SHGFI_ICON|SHGFI_SMALLICON)) { m_hIcon = psfi.hIcon; } and i got handle to icon with no problems. Now i have owner-drawn CListCtrl which tries to draw that icon like: CDC dc; dc.Attach(lpDrawItem->hDC); CRect rItem(&lpDrawItem->rcItem); int oldMapping = dc.SetMapMode(MM_TEXT); m_yicon = ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSMICON); // Returns 1...

Problem with xy scatter with dates
I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y values are dates. I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click on Insert>Scatter. Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2 lines (the two data columns). The x values on the graph are simply a count of the data points as in a line chart. If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart, but not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart. How can I get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates? You could select just the Y val...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...

add-in auto_open problem
PowerPoint 2007 SP2 Pardon me if this is an unbelievably mangled problem, where it shouldn't be. I have Excel and Word VBA experience, but none in PP. I have a macro (UpdatePath, below) that works, that I want to run any time I open a ppt file. Actually, it's a little more complicated. I found info online that suggested I need an auto_open and an auto_close procedure around it, so I added that and tweaked it. I saved the code as an add-in (*.ppam). I loaded the add-in. It doesn't fire. Can someone please point me towards how to fix this, or else point me to a How...

aol outgoing email problem
I am unable to send messages to all AOL addresses from outlook 2000. I receive these messages fine. The problem is not with my ISP as I can send messages directly from that account. Any ideas? Thx in advance J j <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am unable to send messages to all AOL addresses from > outlook 2000. I receive these messages fine. The > problem is not with my ISP as I can send messages > directly from that account. Any ideas? For tips troubleshooting mail sent to AOL, see <http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/#receiving>. ...

Outlook 2003 Problem #3
Hi folks, since I have got Outlook 2003 running, I have got the following problem: I use tow write e-mails offline, and then connect to the internet, and send it all at once. This worked always fine with OE, the written mails I sent away offline were copied into the send folder, and were sent away straght after I connected to the internet. Now I observer the followinf with Outlook 2003: Outlook continues to try to send the e-mail permanently, even if I check the correct checkbox for not participating on send offline. I tried to switch off everything I found, to prevent Outlook to permanently...

Page Orientation
I am unable to change my spreadsheet page orientation from portrait to landscape in Print Preview or Page Setup even though landscape is selected. Any ideas would be appreciated! Ben ...

problem printing crystal reports
I have a problem printing Crystal Reports in CRM. I used to do it just fine no problems. Then I tried to print a massive job to a color printer that I assume could not handle it (it gave me an offending stack command error on the front page). The printer froze, I cleared the queue, and now every time I go to Crystal and try to print, clicking the print button does not "call" the printer dialogue window. Control P works as a workaround but for some reason clicking the Print button no longer works. This is system specific as I can do this from other machines no problem. An...

Outlook not marking read emails as read
Hi - We have 1 computer that is doing the oddest thing, anytime the customer reads the last email in his box, exit's out of email and then comes back in, that email is now marked as unread - it's the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time. I uninstalled office XP, rebooted, then reinstalled and applied the 2 service packs, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. So now I'm stuck and was wondering if anybody out there has any thoughts on what to do.... thanks! Gerri Urban gurban@ci.broomfield.co.us ...