Publishing to the web through Publisher

i've just downloaded a trial version of publisher and love it so far except
it will not publish to my hosting provider, Godaddy.com.

I have completed all of the steps required per directions found at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx

Everything is great until I get to the end when I get this message:
Publisher could not save the file to the web. Check your your url or network
connection and try again.

If there is any advice or technical support that someone can give please let
me know. I would love to purchase this product but I don't want to spend the
money for something that WON'T WORK.

0
JoeShmoe (1)

Joe Shmoe wrote:
> If there is any advice or technical support that someone can give please let
> me know. I would love to purchase this product but I don't want to spend the
> money for something that WON'T WORK.

If you're looking at buying Publisher for webdesign work, I'd seriously
suggest you consider alternative products. Publisher is a DTP-type
application that happens to have a web export feature; a real web
application such as Microsoft Expression Web will have a slightly higher
initial learning curve (unless you just use the provided templates), but
will give you a much better (and more compatible) website in the long run.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

If you are using forms in your web publication, then you would have to use
HTTP uploading. Reference: How to publish a Publisher web in HTTP:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/pages/80557.aspx

If you choose to use FTP uploading then consider downloading and installing
the free FTP client FileZilla:
http://filezilla-project.org/  Take the time to also download the excellent
documentation and read it.

FTP and HTTP uploading has changed with the introduction of IE7 and Vista.
In the article you cited:  Prepare, publish, and maintain your Publisher Web
site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx
pay close attention to the direction for uploading using FTP and Vista.
These directions will also apply if you are using XP and IE7, and should be
adapted for HTTP uploading.

Also reference the uploading instructions on GoDaddy. You will find pretty
good instructions for FTP uploading.

As to the question of whether to use Publisher 2007 to produce your website,
that depends on the scope and goals you have for your site. If all you want
is a relatively simple, small static website, then Publisher will probably
be fine. You can produce a good looking, functional, cross-browser
compatible site with Pub 2007. A few examples of Publisher built sites:

http://www.beltonstud.com/
http://www.burdin-adr.com/index_files/Page2168.htm
Bilingual: http://www.bollnascamping.se/
http://devonviewcaravans.co.uk/

If you are planning a large, or dynamic site, then another program would be
a better choice. MSFT suggests Web Expression for the later, but it is a
whole lot more expensive and it will take you a lot longer to learn. There
are many other choices.

Invest some time now thinking about and defining your goals for your website
before choosing the program. It will save you time and money in the long
run. Here is a site that might help you with that process:
http://webdesignfromscratch.com/goal-oriented-design.cfm
Browse the material.

If you have more questions about Publisher webs, then post in the web group
and we will try to help you there:

DavidF

"Joe Shmoe" <JoeShmoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i've just downloaded a trial version of publisher and love it so far
> except
> it will not publish to my hosting provider, Godaddy.com.
>
> I have completed all of the steps required per directions found at:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx
>
> Everything is great until I get to the end when I get this message:
> Publisher could not save the file to the web. Check your your url or
> network
> connection and try again.
>
> If there is any advice or technical support that someone can give please
> let
> me know. I would love to purchase this product but I don't want to spend
> the
> money for something that WON'T WORK.

0
Nope8657 (939)
3/7/2008 2:27:11 PM
one more thing;
GoDaddy is notorious for telling clients that FrontPage Extensions are
installed when they aren't.

OP should post the URL so we can check it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
group
| and we will try to help you there:
|
| DavidF
|

| "Joe Shmoe" <JoeShmoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > i've just downloaded a trial version of publisher and love it so far
| > except
| > it will not publish to my hosting provider, Godaddy.com.
| >
| > I have completed all of the steps required per directions found at:
| > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx
| >
| > Everything is great until I get to the end when I get this message:
| > Publisher could not save the file to the web. Check your your url or
| > network
| > connection and try again.
| >
| > If there is any advice or technical support that someone can give please
| > let
| > me know. I would love to purchase this product but I don't want to spend

webmaster911 (1600)
3/7/2008 2:33:23 PM
Hey Joe --

I godaddy.com has joomla capability.  CSS templates.  Real sweet.  Bit of a
learning curve, but not much more than Publisher really, and it's free.

Go to your godaddy.com account.  Install Joomla.  Do a search on the web for
"free joomla templates" and download/install/try out a bunch.  You'll have a
blast!

Good luck!

TUFF Editor

"Joe Shmoe" wrote:

> i've just downloaded a trial version of publisher and love it so far except
> it will not publish to my hosting provider, Godaddy.com.
>
> I have completed all of the steps required per directions found at:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx
>
> Everything is great until I get to the end when I get this message:
> Publisher could not save the file to the web. Check your your url or network
> connection and try again.
>
> If there is any advice or technical support that someone can give please let
> me know. I would love to purchase this product but I don't want to spend the
> money for something that WON'T WORK.

Can't recieve e-mail or visit our own web site
Outlook is not able to send or recieve any e-mail from our web address. It says it can't find the host server. What is strange is that I can browse the web anywhere but our own website. However, other computers have no problem visiting our website so I know it's this particular computer. It acts as though our web address has somehow been blocked so that I cannot visit it through internet explorer or recieve any e-mail through outlook. SpamBay (?) was installed on Outlook not too long ago, but I haven't been able to locate a problem there...any ideas? vms wrote: > Outloo...

Putting Excel-based Football Pools on the Web
Hi, everyone. I have been running the office football (US) pool for a few years with a pretty nice Excel model. The way it currently works is that I send out a file with the games of the week listed and people pick the teams that they think will win and by how many points. They send their individual sheets back to me and I copy and paste the relevant cells into the master model. This was ok when it was only a few people playing, but now there are a lot of people who want to play. What I want to do is put the model online somehow, but I don't know where to start. I would like people t...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

publisher #74

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Sending Publisher Files

Publisher 2000 #23

Web Service Customer CreditType
I am running GP 10 and using the Web Services to create and update customers using C#. I want to set the Credit Limit to Unlimited. However, I can see where to set the Credit Limit Type. There is a property for CreditLimit but not a field within for the type ( ex. No Credit = 0, Unlimited = 1, Amount = 2). Only fields to set the period and amount. If I try to set period as 1 then I get the following error: A validation exception has occurred. Validation Errors: - The Credit Limit PeriodAmount parameter can only be used when the Credit Limit Type is set to 2. Does anyone have an example c...

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher

Microsoft Publisher ?

Why is publisher newsletter not page wide when sent
When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it it is about 4" wide. I want it to be page wide when it is sent to a client. What do I need to do? What do you call "page wide"? If you had started with the email template, you would not have width issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Donna McDermed" <DonnaMcDermed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5974DDA0-2E2D-4495-A5EB-FBF8F543482B@microsoft.com... > When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it > it > is abo...

Help Publishing Custom Form
I have published a custom task form to my Organizational Forms Library following the instructions here: http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=34. It works great, and now I have 2 quick questions regarding selecting the published forms: 1. Can I make the forms available by selecting the NEW menu, so I don't have to choose the form, and then browse to find it? I would like be able to select New and have it show my custom form there AND the default task form for that folder. 2. If not, I think I am supposed to be able to highlight the task folder, then select the ACTION menu and see ...

Publisher for MAC
I would like to be able to use some of the publisher features on my MACBOOK PRO, but have been unable to locate the software, I waited for Office 2008 for Mac and it wasn't there :( when are you going to have it available for we mac afficianado's? -- If you try it you can be sure if you don''t like it, if you don''t try it your assuming. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see t...

convert Publisher document to Word
I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them to a Word document so I and type a different name on each tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it only saves the text, not the formatting. Help! Hi Paula (pkrantz@thediscoveryalliance.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them || to a Word document so I and type a different name on each || tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried || saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it...

sending email via web client
Hi; I am having some problem when sending email via CRM (v3.0) web client, any help will be much appreciated: From outlook: Email sent to CRM users (email address within our domain) with "Track in CRM" arrived in both CRM activities and outlook From CRM Web client: 1. I can send email to external contacts (email address not within our domain) with CRM token, when people reply to that email, it arrived both in CRM activities & outlook. 2. Email sent to CRM users/Internal contacts (email address within our domain) NEVER arrived in either CRM or Outlook. But in my CRM act...

How do I get upgarde for publisher 98 to 2000 ?
I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do then . aknz2004 wrote: >I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in > office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now > microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do > then . ======================================= If you want Publisher 2000, you'll have to purchase a copy of the program. You cannot upgrade Pub98 to Pub2000...they are two separate programs. -- John Inzer return e-mail...

Publisher 2000 Publish error
Hi, I'm working with someone using Publisher 2000 who has added an FTP site and over a dial up connection tries to publish. He proceeds and then gets an error as transfer seems to be attempted: "Publisher could not save the file to the web. Please check URL or network address." He is saving as a web page and then trying to upload with appropriate credentials. I've asked that anti-virus (McAfee) and win XP firewall be off as well as a web accelerator but the error persists. I've Googled the error and have found scant information. Any help is appreciated. Try the fo...

2003 publisher w/XP and 2007 publisher w/Vista
I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. Any ideas? Were the files created with standard fonts? Maybe your recipient doesn't have the font you used on their computer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "JULIEW" <JULIEW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CE85845-A3C2-4A00-80D7-81E27126C8B5@microsoft.com... >I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in > Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. ...

Publisher/Adobe PDF
How do I convert a document made in Publisher to an Adobe PDF? Coni Crone <Coni Crone@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I convert a document made in Publisher to an Adobe PDF? For an Adobe PDF, you'll need an Adobe Product. Namely, Adobe Acrobat. With v7 and later, simply click the button on the Adobe PDF Toolbar. In older versions, you'll have to select File > Print and select the Adobe PDF or Acrobat Distiller printer. For a generic PDF readable by Adobe Reader, there are any number of cheap and/or free applications you can use...

Need to Load Publisher
I have Publisher 98 CD and lost the jewel case that had the CD Key Value. I have anew computer and just needs the functionality of Publisher 98. How can I get the 11-disgit key value? I have a valid product ID when I loded the software on the old computer Help?? MIke http://www.phroogle.com/index.php?str=p&st=4520 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Mike" <mbenya@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:027d01c3c...

Publisher locks up
Publisher locks up, not responding when I try to change out a picture from the hard drive in a publication. Or try to change locations of a picture on the hard drive to incert into a publisher file Read the 4th FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "tombochilicombo" <tombochilicombo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C4F0B2A-ACAA-40E6-9EA4-3B193D74CAB6@microsoft.com... > Publisher locks up, not responding when I try to change out a picture from > the hard drive in a publication. O...