Publisher - changing color pictures to grayscale

I have used Publisher for years and recently upgraded to
Office Professional 2003 on my home computer. I have
color pictures that I bring into the document, change
them to grayscale and adjust the brightness and contrast.
When I view the document at this point, the pictures look
like I need them to - black & white with the proper
brightness and contrast. I then save the document. I then
will close the document. When I reopen the document, the
previous changes are lost and the pictures are colored
again, even though I have saved the changes. I don't
remember having this problem with previous versions of
Publisher. Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74719)

What format is the image?

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Deb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have used Publisher for years and recently upgraded to
> Office Professional 2003 on my home computer. I have
> color pictures that I bring into the document, change
> them to grayscale and adjust the brightness and contrast.
> When I view the document at this point, the pictures look
> like I need them to - black & white with the proper
> brightness and contrast. I then save the document. I then
> will close the document. When I reopen the document, the
> previous changes are lost and the pictures are colored
> again, even though I have saved the changes. I don't
> remember having this problem with previous versions of
> Publisher. Any ideas?

0
gsauer (5094)
8/28/2004 5:04:34 PM
The pictures are in jpeg format. The only way I can get Publisher to save my
changes is to make them, then right click on the picture, resave the picture
as a jpeg. Then I have to delete the picture that was in the file that would
not retain the changes and insert the new picture. What I am seeing is that
when I go into the format option when I change the color to grayscale it
reverts back to "automatic" coloring when I save the file, close out of the
file, and reopen it. It is not keeping the grayscale coloring.

Does that help?

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What format is the image?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> "Deb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have used Publisher for years and recently upgraded to
> > Office Professional 2003 on my home computer. I have
> > color pictures that I bring into the document, change
> > them to grayscale and adjust the brightness and contrast.
> > When I view the document at this point, the pictures look
> > like I need them to - black & white with the proper
> > brightness and contrast. I then save the document. I then
> > will close the document. When I reopen the document, the
> > previous changes are lost and the pictures are colored
> > again, even though I have saved the changes. I don't
> > remember having this problem with previous versions of
> > Publisher. Any ideas?

0
debD (1)
8/28/2004 7:01:01 PM
I've tried everything, I cannot replicate this, nor can I find any help in the
Knowledge Base articles. I copied a .jpg changed the copy to a .jpeg, inserted both
into a publication, converted both to gray, fooled with contrast and brightness, when
saved and reopened the changes were there.

The only thing I can suggest is going to the manufacturer's web page and see if there
are updated video drivers. It maybe your driver isn't allowing the changes to stick.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"debD" <debD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The pictures are in jpeg format. The only way I can get Publisher to save my
> changes is to make them, then right click on the picture, resave the picture
> as a jpeg. Then I have to delete the picture that was in the file that would
> not retain the changes and insert the new picture. What I am seeing is that
> when I go into the format option when I change the color to grayscale it
> reverts back to "automatic" coloring when I save the file, close out of the
> file, and reopen it. It is not keeping the grayscale coloring.
>
> Does that help?
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> What format is the image?
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Deb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have used Publisher for years and recently upgraded to
>> > Office Professional 2003 on my home computer. I have
>> > color pictures that I bring into the document, change
>> > them to grayscale and adjust the brightness and contrast.
>> > When I view the document at this point, the pictures look
>> > like I need them to - black & white with the proper
>> > brightness and contrast. I then save the document. I then
>> > will close the document. When I reopen the document, the
>> > previous changes are lost and the pictures are colored
>> > again, even though I have saved the changes. I don't
>> > remember having this problem with previous versions of
>> > Publisher. Any ideas?

0
gsauer (5094)
8/28/2004 7:46:05 PM
Are you linking the pictures by chance?

Mike

debD wrote:
> The pictures are in jpeg format. The only way I can get Publisher to save my
> changes is to make them, then right click on the picture, resave the picture
> as a jpeg. Then I have to delete the picture that was in the file that would
> not retain the changes and insert the new picture. What I am seeing is that
> when I go into the format option when I change the color to grayscale it
> reverts back to "automatic" coloring when I save the file, close out of the
> file, and reopen it. It is not keeping the grayscale coloring.
>
> Does that help?
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>

>>What format is the image?
>>
>>--
>>Mary Sauer MS MVP
>>http://office.microsoft.com/
>>http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
>>"Deb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have used Publisher for years and recently upgraded to
>>>Office Professional 2003 on my home computer. I have
>>>color pictures that I bring into the document, change
>>>them to grayscale and adjust the brightness and contrast.
>>>When I view the document at this point, the pictures look
>>>like I need them to - black & white with the proper
>>>brightness and contrast. I then save the document. I then
>>>will close the document. When I reopen the document, the
>>>previous changes are lost and the pictures are colored
>>>again, even though I have saved the changes. I don't
>>>remember having this problem with previous versions of
>>>Publisher. Any ideas?

0
wordwiz (948)
8/28/2004 9:50:30 PM
Hi Mike Koewler (wordwiz@fuse.net),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Are you linking the pictures by chance?

There goes Mike, thinking OUTSIDE the box again :-)
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
8/30/2004 4:48:11 PM
Brian,

But it makes sense to me! Then again, what do I know? I've never
experienced this problem.

Mike

Brian Kvalheim - [MSFT MVP] wrote:
> Hi Mike Koewler (wordwiz@fuse.net),
> in the newsgroups
> you posted:
>
> || Are you linking the pictures by chance?
>
> There goes Mike, thinking OUTSIDE the box again :-)

0
wordwiz (948)

Publishing to the web through Publisher

publisher #74

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Sending Publisher Files

Publisher 2000 #23

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher

Microsoft Publisher ?

Why is publisher newsletter not page wide when sent
When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it it is about 4" wide. I want it to be page wide when it is sent to a client. What do I need to do? What do you call "page wide"? If you had started with the email template, you would not have width issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Donna McDermed" <DonnaMcDermed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5974DDA0-2E2D-4495-A5EB-FBF8F543482B@microsoft.com... > When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it > it > is abo...

Help Publishing Custom Form
I have published a custom task form to my Organizational Forms Library following the instructions here: http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=34. It works great, and now I have 2 quick questions regarding selecting the published forms: 1. Can I make the forms available by selecting the NEW menu, so I don't have to choose the form, and then browse to find it? I would like be able to select New and have it show my custom form there AND the default task form for that folder. 2. If not, I think I am supposed to be able to highlight the task folder, then select the ACTION menu and see ...

Publisher for MAC
I would like to be able to use some of the publisher features on my MACBOOK PRO, but have been unable to locate the software, I waited for Office 2008 for Mac and it wasn't there :( when are you going to have it available for we mac afficianado's? -- If you try it you can be sure if you don''t like it, if you don''t try it your assuming. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see t...

Transparncy/ featheringing/ blending of picture edges
Could anyone advise how I can make the edges of inserted photos, using Publisher 2003, transparent/ or blend into background Hlp would be appreciated as I could do this when using Picture It Robrt Robert Schulte wrote: > Could anyone advise how I can make the edges of inserted photos, using > Publisher 2003, transparent/ or blend into background > Hlp would be appreciated as I could do this when using Picture It > Robrt ========================================== Picture It! was image editing software...Publisher is not. If you no longer have Picture It!...you could download the...

convert Publisher document to Word
I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them to a Word document so I and type a different name on each tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it only saves the text, not the formatting. Help! Hi Paula (pkrantz@thediscoveryalliance.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them || to a Word document so I and type a different name on each || tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried || saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it...

How do I get upgarde for publisher 98 to 2000 ?
I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do then . aknz2004 wrote: >I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in > office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now > microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do > then . ======================================= If you want Publisher 2000, you'll have to purchase a copy of the program. You cannot upgrade Pub98 to Pub2000...they are two separate programs. -- John Inzer return e-mail...

Publisher 2000 Publish error
Hi, I'm working with someone using Publisher 2000 who has added an FTP site and over a dial up connection tries to publish. He proceeds and then gets an error as transfer seems to be attempted: "Publisher could not save the file to the web. Please check URL or network address." He is saving as a web page and then trying to upload with appropriate credentials. I've asked that anti-virus (McAfee) and win XP firewall be off as well as a web accelerator but the error persists. I've Googled the error and have found scant information. Any help is appreciated. Try the fo...

2003 publisher w/XP and 2007 publisher w/Vista
I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. Any ideas? Were the files created with standard fonts? Maybe your recipient doesn't have the font you used on their computer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "JULIEW" <JULIEW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CE85845-A3C2-4A00-80D7-81E27126C8B5@microsoft.com... >I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in > Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. ...

Publisher/Adobe PDF
How do I convert a document made in Publisher to an Adobe PDF? Coni Crone <Coni Crone@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I convert a document made in Publisher to an Adobe PDF? For an Adobe PDF, you'll need an Adobe Product. Namely, Adobe Acrobat. With v7 and later, simply click the button on the Adobe PDF Toolbar. In older versions, you'll have to select File > Print and select the Adobe PDF or Acrobat Distiller printer. For a generic PDF readable by Adobe Reader, there are any number of cheap and/or free applications you can use...

Need to Load Publisher
I have Publisher 98 CD and lost the jewel case that had the CD Key Value. I have anew computer and just needs the functionality of Publisher 98. How can I get the 11-disgit key value? I have a valid product ID when I loded the software on the old computer Help?? MIke http://www.phroogle.com/index.php?str=p&st=4520 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Mike" <mbenya@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:027d01c3c...

Excel 97 Chart Sub-types are black and white (no color)
Some of the Chart sub-types are black and white. Two of the column sub-types are in color and the rest are black and white. User was upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 Workstation to Windows 2000 Pro. I can format the objects in the chart to give them color. Any body seen this before? ...

Publisher locks up
Publisher locks up, not responding when I try to change out a picture from the hard drive in a publication. Or try to change locations of a picture on the hard drive to incert into a publisher file Read the 4th FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "tombochilicombo" <tombochilicombo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C4F0B2A-ACAA-40E6-9EA4-3B193D74CAB6@microsoft.com... > Publisher locks up, not responding when I try to change out a picture from > the hard drive in a publication. O...

Any tricks for Mail and Catalogue Merge in Publisher?
I already prepared my brochure, created my address list but the mail merge wizard is not available to me. Can't figure out what is wrong. This addresses Publisher 2002, maybe your issue too? PUB2002: Mail Merge Feature Is Unavailable http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286203 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jmartin99" <jmartin99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53E34C16-AEB4-4D04-B8E3-DB87E3362632@microsoft.com... >I already prepared my brochure, created m...

Publisher 98 to Publisher 2000
Hi I have been given a Publisher 98 file that will not open in Publisher 2000. Is there any way to open this???? -- Sonia Should open... . If you have Norton, disable "script blocking", in Norton options, misc., clear "enable Office Plug-in". If you have any other anti-virus software, disable it long enough to open the file. If none of this works, send me the file and I will convert it to 2000 gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sonia" <Sonia@discu...