Publisher cannot open the file #6

I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
(2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
I got the same error.

Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
protection. I have not upgraded from another version.

I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
difference.

Please help!

LJM
0
LJM (12)

Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have disabled?
Have you changed printers? Do you have a default printer selected in the printer
folder? Is your printer driver current?

What version Publisher are you using?

How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> I got the same error.
>
> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>
> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> difference.
>
> Please help!
>
> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/4/2008 8:41:51 PM
Mary,

> Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have disabled?

Yes, and it still won't open.

> Have you changed printers?

No, I have not changed printers.

> Do you have a default printer selected in the printer folder?

Yes, my default printer is still selected.

> Is your printer driver current?

Yes, the printer driver is current.

> What version Publisher are you using?

I'm using Publisher 2002

> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher

I've gone through this web site and tried everything. I even copied the file
to a thumb drive and tried it out on another computer. It worked on the other
computer, but it still won't work on my machine. I even renamed the file and
it won't open.

Any other suggestions?

LJM

> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> > ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> > Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> > (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> > Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> > I got the same error.
> >
> > Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> > opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> > protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
> >
> > I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> > difference.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > LJM

0
LJM (12)
1/4/2008 9:45:05 PM
Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
again.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> Mary,
>
>> Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have
>> disabled?
>
> Yes, and it still won't open.
>
>> Have you changed printers?
>
> No, I have not changed printers.
>
>> Do you have a default printer selected in the printer folder?
>
> Yes, my default printer is still selected.
>
>> Is your printer driver current?
>
> Yes, the printer driver is current.
>
>> What version Publisher are you using?
>
> I'm using Publisher 2002
>
>> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
>
> I've gone through this web site and tried everything. I even copied the
> file
> to a thumb drive and tried it out on another computer. It worked on the
> other
> computer, but it still won't work on my machine. I even renamed the file
> and
> it won't open.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> LJM
>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep
>> >an
>> > ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not
>> > upgraded
>> > Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
>> > (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
>> > Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007
>> > document,
>> > I got the same error.
>> >
>> > Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher
>> > from
>> > opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
>> > protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>> >
>> > I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> >
>> > LJM

0
Engineer5094 (821)
1/4/2008 10:18:49 PM
Don,

> Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
> again.

I opened it on another computer and it worked just fine. I renamed the file
and brought it back to my computer. My computer won't open either the
original nor the new one.

LJM
0
LJM (12)
1/4/2008 11:12:00 PM
Can you send the file my way? I don't know why it would open on another computer
but not on yours.

mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Don,
>
>> Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
>> again.
>
> I opened it on another computer and it worked just fine. I renamed the file
> and brought it back to my computer. My computer won't open either the
> original nor the new one.
>
> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/4/2008 11:46:09 PM
Mary,

> Can you send the file my way? I don't know why it would open on another computer but not on yours.

I am quite hesitant to send the file, as the information within it is very
confidential. Is there another way to handle the problem?

LJM
0
LJM (12)
1/5/2008 1:39:05 AM
Mary,

Thanks for all your help. I just un-installed Publisher and then
re-installed it. Tried to open the file and it worked just fine. Somehow the
program just became corrupted.

Again, thank you for your help.

LJM

p.s. Thanks for your understanding about not sending the file, too.
0
LJM (12)
1/5/2008 1:51:01 AM
Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
 Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!

"LJM" wrote:

> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> I got the same error.
>
> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>
> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> difference.
>
> Please help!
>
> LJM
0
Jababas (2)
1/10/2008 1:15:00 PM
Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over and
over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed will
still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.

The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher. Publisher
2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
> website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
> is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
> new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
> download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
> Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
> completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
> into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
> had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
> somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
> Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
> want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
> thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
> anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
> so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
> answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!
>
> "LJM" wrote:
>
>> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
>> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
>> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
>> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
>> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
>> I got the same error.
>>
>> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
>> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
>> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>>
>> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
>> difference.
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/10/2008 1:54:19 PM
Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.

Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.

LJM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over and
> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed will
> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
>
> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher. Publisher
> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
> > website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
> > is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
> > new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
> > download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
> > Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
> > completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
> > into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
> > had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
> > somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
> > Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
> > want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
> > thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
> > anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
> > so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
> > answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!
> >
> > "LJM" wrote:
> >
> >> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> >> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> >> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> >> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> >> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> >> I got the same error.
> >>
> >> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> >> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> >> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
> >>
> >> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> >> difference.
> >>
> >> Please help!
> >>
> >> LJM

0
LJM (12)
1/12/2008 5:28:00 AM
When you are able to open the file after the re-install remove the images if
there are any and resave. It is usually images that have corruption.
A poster sent me his file with many pictures, I couldn't open it, even in safe
mode. I finally downloaded a trial recovery program and recovered what I could.
The poster had worked on the file for a long time; it wasn't the content he
wanted recovered, but the formatting.
Anti-virus programs can be problematic.
The 2007 patch had nothing to do with Publisher. We are under the radar for some
reason. There are lots of bugs in the 2007 version that have not been addressed
by the developers.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
> files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
> have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
> and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
> of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.
>
> Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.
>
> LJM
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over
>> and
>> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed
>> will
>> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
>>
>> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher.
>> Publisher
>> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
>> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
>> > website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter,
>> > which
>> > is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
>> > new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
>> > download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my
>> > files!!!
>> > Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
>> > completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD
>> > newsletter
>> > into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
>> > had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
>> > somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
>> > Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
>> > want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?
>> > thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
>> > anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
>> > so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
>> > answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/12/2008 10:22:43 AM
There was only one picture in the file. I had deleted that and saved it, and
when I tried to open it, it couldn't open it.

LJM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> When you are able to open the file after the re-install remove the images if
> there are any and resave. It is usually images that have corruption.
> A poster sent me his file with many pictures, I couldn't open it, even in safe
> mode. I finally downloaded a trial recovery program and recovered what I could.
> The poster had worked on the file for a long time; it wasn't the content he
> wanted recovered, but the formatting.
> Anti-virus programs can be problematic.
> The 2007 patch had nothing to do with Publisher. We are under the radar for some
> reason. There are lots of bugs in the 2007 version that have not been addressed
> by the developers.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
> > files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
> > have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
> > and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
> > of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.
> >
> > Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.
> >
> > LJM
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over
> >> and
> >> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed
> >> will
> >> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
> >>
> >> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher.
> >> Publisher
> >> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
> >> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LJM (12)

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

publisher #74

utility to browse read-only PST files?
Everyone, Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can do this job? greetings, Tom I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs demand they be read-write. <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134989524.109196.243610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Sending Publisher Files

Excel and opening files
I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of customising the quick launch tool bar on the left hand side of the box when you go "File" , "open" Thanks Yes, but it may require a manual registry edit. Go to the www.microsoft.com and search for userdefinedplaces. You can narrow it down further by adding the office version (eg 2000, 2003) -- Ian -- "Jon Scales" <JonScales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E290EF7C-5A2A-4297-A874-8929640948E5@microsoft.com... >I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of cu...

Sharing PST files
My partner and I each have different profiles (Windows XP) on our home computer, but have a shared email account. When I first set up the email account in Outlook 2002, I was logged into the computer as myself and just clicked on all of the default settings to establish the email account. However, I've discovered that she can't access the email account when logged into the computer as herself Is there some way to save all of the Outlook files associated with the email account to a shared folder and to instruct Outlook to look for that account information in the new location? &qu...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Publisher 2000 #23

Outlook 2002
This just started today. Outlook opens ok to the Outlook Today view and does a send / receive (I'm on DSL). When I click on a shortcut to any folder, i.e. Inbox, I get a quick view of that folder but then a page displays that says "Search results for "outlook:Inbox" Sorry, your keywords did not match any results. Please try again. On the address line it shows "http://www.jraun.com/search.php? search=outlook:Inbox" Any ideas If you click the folder names in the Folder List instead of the Outlook Bar, do the folders open successfully? -- Jocelyn ...

Same .pst Files Looks Different on other PC
Hello, I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and 1 (wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer including all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers 10.4712.4219 SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour, i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and then they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click th...

Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000
How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder. Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15e0501c4472a$7284c980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel > 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in > the XLStart folder. If you've ente...

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher

IE 6 sp1 issue
Hi- Can anyone help?? I am trying to install IE6 sp1 and it is erroring out saying that install cannot complete, close all programs and run again. I have no programs open at the time of install. I have recently installed windows patch# Q818529. I think that this has something to do with it. All in all, I am just trying to upgrade from windows sp3 to sp4. When I run THIS it tells me that I NEED IE6 sp1. The version that currently shows up in ie is: 6.0.2800.1106, update version Q818529. In add/remove programs it shows this "Q" # as well. Any thoughts from anyone? T...

Microsoft Publisher ?