publisher cannot open the file #4

I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!
0
history (3)

It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
"Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
3/8/2006 12:26:44 AM
Happiness is a recent backup... Another lesson learned!
"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
Chuck
3/8/2006 2:29:11 AM
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us

Look in your temp folder, you might get lucky. In Windows Explorer, type %temp%
in the address bar, find a temp file that has "pub" as a prefix, change the .tmp
extension to .pub.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
gsauer (5094)
3/8/2006 9:08:52 AM
Hello - were you able to access  the  file  successfully or  what  was the
outcome?
Please  advise  me  as  i  have  just  found  myself  in  the  same  hole !!
ASAP lease

"AGS history" wrote:

> I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!
0
usa1 (1)
8/30/2006 7:49:02 PM
Is this a file you created or something that was sent to you?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"usa1" <usa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello - were you able to access  the  file  successfully or  what  was the
> outcome?
> Please  advise  me  as  i  have  just  found  myself  in  the  same  hole
> !!
> ASAP lease
>
> "AGS history" wrote:
>
>> I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>> for
>> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
>> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
>> save
>> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
>> was
>> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
>> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
>> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
>> historical
>> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
>> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
jl_paules (2767)
8/30/2006 8:05:40 PM
Hi JoAnn,
This same thing happened to me on a 40 pg workbook.  Luckily I had already
sent it to print, so the printer has a copy of it.  My problem, is that I
cannot open it from my publisher file, my saved docs file or my outbox.  I
tried your suggestion below and was presented with a bunch of unreadable
symbols.  Any suggestions?  Your last post was in 2006 - anything new that
might work?
Thanks.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
> "Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
> >for
> > our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> > morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> > save
> > your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> > was
> > the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> > now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> > files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> > historical
> > materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> > morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

Are you using 2003? If you are using 2007 there is a hotfix.
Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher-x-none.msp):
October 27, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976177/en-us

Some suggestions here:
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256
or
Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot
open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MVP
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"workbook" <workbook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi JoAnn,
> This same thing happened to me on a 40 pg workbook.  Luckily I had already
> sent it to print, so the printer has a copy of it.  My problem, is that I
> cannot open it from my publisher file, my saved docs file or my outbox.  I
> tried your suggestion below and was presented with a bunch of unreadable
> symbols.  Any suggestions?  Your last post was in 2006 - anything new that
> might work?
> Thanks.
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
>> "Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.
>>
>> I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>> >for
>> > our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
>> > morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
>> > save
>> > your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
>> > was
>> > the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
>> > now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
>> > files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
>> > historical
>> > materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
>> > morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
Mary

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

publisher #74

utility to browse read-only PST files?
Everyone, Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can do this job? greetings, Tom I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs demand they be read-write. <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134989524.109196.243610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Outlook client for CRM 4.0 error starting up
Hello, I have the following problem when I startup the outlook client. I get error : Symptom 4 When you start the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook, you receive the following error message: An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality, try restarting Outlook. Additionally, Error event 80072f19 is referenced in the Application log: Event: 16941 A problem occurred initializing the initialization progress toolbar. Restart Microsoft CRM and try again. HR=0x80072f19. Context=. Function=CAddin::HrActivateAddin. Line=322. I got this one from I microsoft document, but the solut...

Sending Publisher Files

Excel and opening files
I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of customising the quick launch tool bar on the left hand side of the box when you go "File" , "open" Thanks Yes, but it may require a manual registry edit. Go to the www.microsoft.com and search for userdefinedplaces. You can narrow it down further by adding the office version (eg 2000, 2003) -- Ian -- "Jon Scales" <JonScales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E290EF7C-5A2A-4297-A874-8929640948E5@microsoft.com... >I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of cu...

Sharing PST files
My partner and I each have different profiles (Windows XP) on our home computer, but have a shared email account. When I first set up the email account in Outlook 2002, I was logged into the computer as myself and just clicked on all of the default settings to establish the email account. However, I've discovered that she can't access the email account when logged into the computer as herself Is there some way to save all of the Outlook files associated with the email account to a shared folder and to instruct Outlook to look for that account information in the new location? &qu...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Publisher 2000 #23

Outlook 2002
This just started today. Outlook opens ok to the Outlook Today view and does a send / receive (I'm on DSL). When I click on a shortcut to any folder, i.e. Inbox, I get a quick view of that folder but then a page displays that says "Search results for "outlook:Inbox" Sorry, your keywords did not match any results. Please try again. On the address line it shows "http://www.jraun.com/search.php? search=outlook:Inbox" Any ideas If you click the folder names in the Folder List instead of the Outlook Bar, do the folders open successfully? -- Jocelyn ...

Calendar sharing #4
Hello, There is a user in our ORG that has multiple calendars set up on her profile. She has set permissions to each calendar accordingly, yet when another user tries to open a calendar of her, they can only get the Default Outlook caleadar. Any iseas on why the others are not an option? TIA! In Outlook 2003 and earlier versions, to provide access to a shared = folder that isn't one of the folders listed on the File | Open | Other = User's Folder dialog, the mailbox owner needs to grant "folder visible" = permission to the root of the mailbox and any other parent fold...

Same .pst Files Looks Different on other PC
Hello, I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and 1 (wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer including all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers 10.4712.4219 SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour, i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and then they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click th...

Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000
How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder. Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15e0501c4472a$7284c980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel > 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in > the XLStart folder. If you've ente...

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher