publisher 98 files opening in 2003 (Not Norton, not Read-only)

Hi all,

I just upgraded from publisher 98 to 2003, however none of the files will
open under 2003, I get the error message "Publisher cannot open the file"

I've searched the forums for several hours, but have had no success in
finding a solution.

The comptuer I'm trying to open it with has never had norton installed and
all the files I've tried are not read-only.

Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately I've long since list my original 98 install CD..

Thanks
0
Chopper (9)

Do you have any other anti-virus software? Disable it and see if the files open.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Tony Tony Chopper" <Tony Tony Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded from publisher 98 to 2003, however none of the files will
> open under 2003, I get the error message "Publisher cannot open the file"
>
> I've searched the forums for several hours, but have had no success in
> finding a solution.
>
> The comptuer I'm trying to open it with has never had norton installed and
> all the files I've tried are not read-only.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Unfortunately I've long since list my original 98 install CD..
>
> Thanks

0
gsauer (5094)
4/12/2005 3:14:38 PM
I had AVG free v7 running, but I've since disabled it, however I still cannot
open any of the files..

Any other ideas?

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Do you have any other anti-virus software? Disable it and see if the files open.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Tony Tony Chopper" <Tony Tony Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just upgraded from publisher 98 to 2003, however none of the files will
> > open under 2003, I get the error message "Publisher cannot open the file"
> >
> > I've searched the forums for several hours, but have had no success in
> > finding a solution.
> >
> > The comptuer I'm trying to open it with has never had norton installed and
> > all the files I've tried are not read-only.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Unfortunately I've long since list my original 98 install CD..
> >
> > Thanks

You *could* send a file to someone else and see if they can open
it............ <whistling and twiddling my thumbs>

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Tony Chopper" <TonyTonyChopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5A8AA53F-560A-478C-9ACB-0102FF259CA1@microsoft.com...
>I had AVG free v7 running, but I've since disabled it, however I still
>cannot
> open any of the files..
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>

>> Do you have any other anti-virus software? Disable it and see if the
>> files open.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Tony Tony Chopper" <Tony Tony Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just upgraded from publisher 98 to 2003, however none of the files
>> > will
>> > open under 2003, I get the error message "Publisher cannot open the
>> > file"
>> >
>> > I've searched the forums for several hours, but have had no success in
>> > finding a solution.
>> >
>> > The comptuer I'm trying to open it with has never had norton installed
>> > and
>> > all the files I've tried are not read-only.
>> >
>> > Any other suggestions?
>> >
>> > Unfortunately I've long since list my original 98 install CD..
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
jl_amerson (3088)
4/12/2005 11:58:23 PM
Try to open the files in safe mode. Publisher 98 saved all printer information within
the publication. If they open re-save them as 2003 documents.
Right-click one of the files, properties, opens with... see if the association is
Publisher 2003.

Double-click a file.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Tony Tony Chopper" <TonyTonyChopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had AVG free v7 running, but I've since disabled it, however I still cannot
> open any of the files..
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>

>> Do you have any other anti-virus software? Disable it and see if the files open.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Tony Tony Chopper" <Tony Tony Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just upgraded from publisher 98 to 2003, however none of the files will
>> > open under 2003, I get the error message "Publisher cannot open the file"
>> >
>> > I've searched the forums for several hours, but have had no success in
>> > finding a solution.
>> >
>> > The comptuer I'm trying to open it with has never had norton installed and
>> > all the files I've tried are not read-only.
>> >
>> > Any other suggestions?
>> >
>> > Unfortunately I've long since list my original 98 install CD..
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
gsauer (5094)
4/13/2005 9:40:00 AM
Tony Tony sent me one of his files. Couldn't get it to open. I tried doing a
recover text - got hung up around 75% and was over 140 pages.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> "Tony Tony Chopper" <Tony Tony Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>> in message

0
jl_amerson (3088)

Outlook 2003 and Groupwise
Anybody have any idea on how to get Outlook 2003 to quit hanging/ not responding when using a Novell Groupwise Transport Provider ie groupwise 6.5. It pretty much hangs everytime. I have set up the Novell Default Profile etc reinstalled outlook and Groupwise multiple times. Please Help... Thanks I see you have not had any replies, I am having the same problem. Both GroupWise 6.5 and Outlook 2003 are screwed up. I'm waiting for a patch from Novell or Microsoft because it seems like a conflict in the messaging subsystem that I am not able to resolve. In the mean time I'm usin...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

OWA and two exchange 2003 server
I have two 2003 exchange servers that both contain mailboxes. When users log into OWA that is hosted on my mx2 server, if their mailboxes are on the mx1 server they can not access from the outside because I only allow access to the mx2 server for now. I am in the process of moving mailboxes from mx2 to mx1 which will be my final hardware platform, but in the meantime users are compalining about the OWA. I can't make the mx2 server a FE because I still have mailboxes on that server. Any suggestions? 2 ways to do this: 1. allow access to MX1 (A record in external DNS, make neces...

Can Money 2003 Deluxe Import directly from Quicken files?
I had Quicken (2002, I think) installed on my old desktop and I added my old hard drive to a new system. However, I'm unable to find the install disk for Quicken, so I'm stuck with all my data in a set of Quicken files. There is a good deal now for Money 2003 Deluxe but it only works for me if it can directly accept or import these Quicken files, not some more generically formatted export file Does anyone know if this will work TIA In microsoft.public.money, jer042000 wrote: >I had Quicken (2002, I think) installed on my old desktop and I added my old hard drive to a new syste...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

Cannot read attatchments to emails
Email attatchments in pdf are encripted. I have Adobe reader 9.3.1. Widows 7. "graham tm" <graham tm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFE2D37F-4E1E-41D3-A2D6-0D38CF8F2ADA@microsoft.com... > Email attatchments in pdf are encripted. I have Adobe reader 9.3.1. Widows > 7. I highy doubt they're encrypted. What makes you believe they are? I think, instead, that you see the MIME *encoding* of the attachment because something is preventing Outlook from seeing the message data correctly so that it can decode it properly into the original. ...

publisher #74

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

Exchange 2003 full computer name doesn't match domain name.
I'm running a Windows 2000 SP4 DC network with a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on a Windows 2003 member server. For some reason the full computer name of the exchange server (exchange.wrongdomain.com) does not match our domain name (mydomain.local). We are having some weird issues (such as not able to create mailboxes at the same time as adding a new user) on our network which I think are related to this discrepancy. The only way I've found to solve this issue is to remove the server from the domain and re-add it. However, I don't know what affect this will have o...

MS Word won't let me keep two documents open simultaneously
All of a sudden, I can no longer have more than one word document open simultaneously. Can anyone tell me how to re-engage this capability? Thank you, thank you, thank you! (in advance) From the Tools menu, click on Options and then go to the View tab and change the setting for the "Windows in Taskbar" item under the "Show" section of the dialog. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Ja...

Copy File to Linux Server
I'm trying to write some vb code (to eventually become VBA code within Excel) that can copy a file from my client pc to my linux server and rename it (or, if not possible, to leave the name the same). After much searching on the net, this is what I've come up with so far. Option Explicit Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet" (ByRef hInet As Long) As Long Private Declare Function InternetConnect Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "InternetConnectA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Long, ByVal sServerName As String, ByVal nServerPor...

Conditional Formatting Excel 2003
Need for conditional formatting to be TRUE if a cell is equal to any of several cells. Trying to use conditional formatting formula in cell A20: =IF(G20=J$8:J $12,TRUE,FALSE) so as to have the condition (color condition for A20) to be true. G20 contains the letter "E," and J8 through J12 contain C-, D+, D, D- and E. This does not work The condition works fine for single cell comparatives as follows: =IF (G20=J$12,TRUE,FALSE), where J12 contains an "E" and G20 likewise contains an E. I tried naming the range of cells containing the letters (LowRatings) and used the foll...

utility to browse read-only PST files?
Everyone, Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can do this job? greetings, Tom I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs demand they be read-write. <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134989524.109196.243610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >...

Outlook 2003 does not "remember' previous email addresses when you type in their first name
Gurus, Using Outlook 2003. I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email addresses you typed? With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first name and Outlook pops up their address. However, my supervisor also running Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s). He has enabled the following: Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automa...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Sending Publisher Files

Cash Flow Forecast stopped working on Money 2003
I've been using Money since the first version and am now on 2003. Yesterday, the cash flow forecast won't work anymore. Every time I click on the "Forecast Cash Flow" button on the Scheduled Bills and Deposits page I get the following message: "Please create at least on checking, savings, or cash account before you go to the cash flow forecast". I've checked my accounts and they're all functioning properly. And my archived files (I do an archive after every year) work properly - IE the cash flow forecast works. So it must be some problem with my mo...

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Cannot download .zip files
I have discoverd that Microsoft Outlook 2000 & 2003, will not allow me to download .zip files. The entire email is also not returned to sender and seems to be held in queue somewhere. I can find no helpful information through WinZip. Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same, or similar, problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. R.L. McGahan Ten Forward Communications 360-457-9023 Outlook, all versions, download .zip files just fine. I suspect that you have a third party program such as McAfee installed that is iintercepting the mail and not allowing ...

Excel and opening files
I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of customising the quick launch tool bar on the left hand side of the box when you go "File" , "open" Thanks Yes, but it may require a manual registry edit. Go to the www.microsoft.com and search for userdefinedplaces. You can narrow it down further by adding the office version (eg 2000, 2003) -- Ian -- "Jon Scales" <JonScales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E290EF7C-5A2A-4297-A874-8929640948E5@microsoft.com... >I don't know whether anyone can help. Is there a way of cu...

OL 2003 and Block Senders List
In OL XP, I could select several emails from my InBox and put them in my Junk Email senders list. OL 2003 doesn't seem to have that feature. While OL2003 seems to do a better job of handling Junk (on the high setting), I still get lots of junk that I need to block. Any solutions? ...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...