Publisher 2003: Windows Installer error 1635

Publisher 2003 and the rest of Office 11 is also installed, Windows XP
Home SP1

In Publisher > New Publication > Business forms > Invoice > I get
several choices, but when I try to load one of them, I get the error
alerts:
"Publisher cannot run this wizard.
This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it
now?"

When I try to install even with the Office CD inserted .

"Publisher cannot run this wizard.
Microsoft Office Publisher cannot install the necessary files due to
Windows Installer error 1635."

It seems I used to have no problem installing additional features.
So what's the solution? What's wrong with the installer and how can I
install the invoice templates?

--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
nehmo54 (43)

Are you fully patched?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Nehmo" <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Publisher 2003 and the rest of Office 11 is also installed, Windows XP
> Home SP1
>
> In Publisher > New Publication > Business forms > Invoice > I get
> several choices, but when I try to load one of them, I get the error
> alerts:
> "Publisher cannot run this wizard.
> This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it
> now?"
>
> When I try to install even with the Office CD inserted .
>
> "Publisher cannot run this wizard.
> Microsoft Office Publisher cannot install the necessary files due to
> Windows Installer error 1635."
>
> It seems I used to have no problem installing additional features.
> So what's the solution? What's wrong with the installer and how can I
> install the invoice templates?
>
> --
> )|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
11/20/2005 2:21:41 AM
ERROR_PATCH_PACKAGE_OPEN_FAILED - 1635
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that
you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid
Windows Installer patch package.

See if the article below helps out
You receive the "This patch package could not be opened" error message in an Office
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295823

"Nehmo" <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Publisher 2003 and the rest of Office 11 is also installed, Windows XP
> Home SP1
>
> In Publisher > New Publication > Business forms > Invoice > I get
> several choices, but when I try to load one of them, I get the error
> alerts:
> "Publisher cannot run this wizard.
> This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it
> now?"
>
> When I try to install even with the Office CD inserted .
>
> "Publisher cannot run this wizard.
> Microsoft Office Publisher cannot install the necessary files due to
> Windows Installer error 1635."
>
> It seems I used to have no problem installing additional features.
> So what's the solution? What's wrong with the installer and how can I
> install the invoice templates?
>
> --
> )|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

I believe I am *now*. I just updated a bit. I'll double check right
after this post.But I'm still getting the same behavior with Publisher.
And if I run setup (without uninstalling the existing Office) off the
Office disk 1, I get this:

"This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that
the patch package exists and that you can access it, or
contact the application vendor to verify that this is a
valid Windows Installer patch package."
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
nehmo54 (43)
11/20/2005 8:31:14 PM
What's on that KB page is perhaps the correct problem. However, I
already long ago installed 2003 over 2000. Another piece of evidence:
When I try to run setup off the Office disk 1, I get this:

"This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that
the patch package exists and that you can access it, or
contact the application vendor to verify that this is a
valid Windows Installer patch package."

I searched for "Windows Installer error 1635" and I found that too.
Here's the pertinent part:

"RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility to
remove the Windows Installer registry settings, and then reinstall
Office. To do this, follow these steps:
1.	Download, install, and then run the Windows Installer CleanUp
utility to remove the Windows Installer registry settings that are
associated with your Office installation. The following file is
available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
msicuu2.exe
(http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe)
2.	To use the Windows CleanUp utility, follow these steps:
a. 	Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Install
Clean Up.
b. 	Select the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
c. 	Click OK, and then click Exit.
3.	Run Office Setup to reinstall Office.

Note Because the Windows Installer CleanUp utility deletes Windows
Installer-related registry settings and not the Office program files,
make sure that you install Office in the same folder where it was
originally installed to prevent duplication of files on your hard
disk."

If I'm going to reinstall office, I'd like to first save my settings
and everything else. I'm sure the documents will be untouched. But last
time I installed Office over a previous Office, I got a password
attached to the mail folders. I never did get those opened again. So,
naturally, I'm a bit cautious before I do something as major as
reinstalling Office. Right now, with the exception of not being able to
download templates (and the associated symptoms), everything seems to
be functioning normally.
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
nehmo54 (43)
11/20/2005 8:51:20 PM
Did you visit the web page the previous poster suggested?
You receive the "This patch package could not be opened" error message in an Office
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295823

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
>I believe I am *now*. I just updated a bit. I'll double check right
> after this post.But I'm still getting the same behavior with Publisher.
> And if I run setup (without uninstalling the existing Office) off the
> Office disk 1, I get this:
>
> "This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that
> the patch package exists and that you can access it, or
> contact the application vendor to verify that this is a
> valid Windows Installer patch package."
> --
> )|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
gsauer (5094)
11/20/2005 8:54:41 PM
If you read the beginning of the CleanUp article, it stated
The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not: . Remove Windows Installer.
      . Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as
Microsoft Office 2003.

I have used the CleanUp on Office 2003, it did not remove any settings. If you have
your activation number you should be fine. If you want this issue resolved...

You can find your activation number by downloading the Belarc advisor and using it
before you do the cleanup.

Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
> What's on that KB page is perhaps the correct problem. However, I
> already long ago installed 2003 over 2000. Another piece of evidence:
> When I try to run setup off the Office disk 1, I get this:
>
> "This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that
> the patch package exists and that you can access it, or
> contact the application vendor to verify that this is a
> valid Windows Installer patch package."
>
> I searched for "Windows Installer error 1635" and I found that too.
> Here's the pertinent part:
>
> "RESOLUTION
> To resolve this issue, run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility to
> remove the Windows Installer registry settings, and then reinstall
> Office. To do this, follow these steps:
> 1. Download, install, and then run the Windows Installer CleanUp
> utility to remove the Windows Installer registry settings that are
> associated with your Office installation. The following file is
> available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
> msicuu2.exe
> (http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe)
> 2. To use the Windows CleanUp utility, follow these steps:
> a. Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Install
> Clean Up.
> b. Select the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
> c. Click OK, and then click Exit.
> 3. Run Office Setup to reinstall Office.
>
> Note Because the Windows Installer CleanUp utility deletes Windows
> Installer-related registry settings and not the Office program files,
> make sure that you install Office in the same folder where it was
> originally installed to prevent duplication of files on your hard
> disk."
>
> If I'm going to reinstall office, I'd like to first save my settings
> and everything else. I'm sure the documents will be untouched. But last
> time I installed Office over a previous Office, I got a password
> attached to the mail folders. I never did get those opened again. So,
> naturally, I'm a bit cautious before I do something as major as
> reinstalling Office. Right now, with the exception of not being able to
> download templates (and the associated symptoms), everything seems to
> be functioning normally.
> --
> )|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
gsauer (5094)
11/20/2005 11:38:18 PM
Thank you. The problem is fixed. I can now download invoices for
Publisher.
I installed and ran Windows Installer Clean-up; I selected Office 11
and uninstalled
I re-installed Office 11
Yes, it asks for the key again. .
Publisher now can download templates. None of the Office settings have
changed.
---
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
nehmo54 (43)
11/21/2005 8:17:06 AM
Glad you are up and running, thanks for posting your success. It is appreciated.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Thank you. The problem is fixed. I can now download invoices for
> Publisher.
> I installed and ran Windows Installer Clean-up; I selected Office 11
> and uninstalled
> I re-installed Office 11
> Yes, it asks for the key again. .
> Publisher now can download templates. None of the Office settings have
> changed.
> ---
> )|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

0
gsauer (5094)

Outlook 2003 and Groupwise
Anybody have any idea on how to get Outlook 2003 to quit hanging/ not responding when using a Novell Groupwise Transport Provider ie groupwise 6.5. It pretty much hangs everytime. I have set up the Novell Default Profile etc reinstalled outlook and Groupwise multiple times. Please Help... Thanks I see you have not had any replies, I am having the same problem. Both GroupWise 6.5 and Outlook 2003 are screwed up. I'm waiting for a patch from Novell or Microsoft because it seems like a conflict in the messaging subsystem that I am not able to resolve. In the mean time I'm usin...

Missing installation code
Hi I have a Vista Business machine that I bought from Evesham who went bust a couple of years ago. I use this machine solely for running Visual Studio 2008. Recently this sarted to crash on opening. This seemed to be to do with .NET 3.5 SP1 failing to install in a windows update (even though it was installed) The machine won't go back to any restore point due to an "unknown error". I have uninstalled .Net 3.5 SP1 and reinstalled it and it still wants to apply the patch. I unistalled Visual Studion 2008 and it will not install again due to some error or other ...

Windows NT
will money work on windows NT 4.O? Which version of Money? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Tony" <taxley@crothall.com> wrote in message news:019201c36d8e$1c4b0cd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > will money work on windows NT 4.O? With Money 2003, NT and Win95 ceased to be supported. >-----Original Message----- >will money work on windows NT 4.O? >. > ...

OWA and two exchange 2003 server
I have two 2003 exchange servers that both contain mailboxes. When users log into OWA that is hosted on my mx2 server, if their mailboxes are on the mx1 server they can not access from the outside because I only allow access to the mx2 server for now. I am in the process of moving mailboxes from mx2 to mx1 which will be my final hardware platform, but in the meantime users are compalining about the OWA. I can't make the mx2 server a FE because I still have mailboxes on that server. Any suggestions? 2 ways to do this: 1. allow access to MX1 (A record in external DNS, make neces...

Hotmail/outlook 0x800CCC0D error 'server not found'
for the last 4 days I been getting intermittent error message with my Outlook2003..............Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'The server could not be found.' I've been grandfathered in so I am allowed to use Outlook with my Hotmail. I've repaired outlook, used the Winsock fixer, turned off NAV and Norton Security, went from wireless to plugged directly in the the cable modem, etc. Now I found out my Father, next town over, is having the same happen to him. Different Internet provider. Looking on the http://su...

Can Money 2003 Deluxe Import directly from Quicken files?
I had Quicken (2002, I think) installed on my old desktop and I added my old hard drive to a new system. However, I'm unable to find the install disk for Quicken, so I'm stuck with all my data in a set of Quicken files. There is a good deal now for Money 2003 Deluxe but it only works for me if it can directly accept or import these Quicken files, not some more generically formatted export file Does anyone know if this will work TIA In microsoft.public.money, jer042000 wrote: >I had Quicken (2002, I think) installed on my old desktop and I added my old hard drive to a new syste...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

publisher #74

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Outlook 2003 does not "remember' previous email addresses when you type in their first name
Gurus, Using Outlook 2003. I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email addresses you typed? With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first name and Outlook pops up their address. However, my supervisor also running Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s). He has enabled the following: Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automa...

Conditional Formatting Excel 2003
Need for conditional formatting to be TRUE if a cell is equal to any of several cells. Trying to use conditional formatting formula in cell A20: =IF(G20=J$8:J $12,TRUE,FALSE) so as to have the condition (color condition for A20) to be true. G20 contains the letter "E," and J8 through J12 contain C-, D+, D, D- and E. This does not work The condition works fine for single cell comparatives as follows: =IF (G20=J$12,TRUE,FALSE), where J12 contains an "E" and G20 likewise contains an E. I tried naming the range of cells containing the letters (LowRatings) and used the foll...

Cash Flow Forecast stopped working on Money 2003
I've been using Money since the first version and am now on 2003. Yesterday, the cash flow forecast won't work anymore. Every time I click on the "Forecast Cash Flow" button on the Scheduled Bills and Deposits page I get the following message: "Please create at least on checking, savings, or cash account before you go to the cash flow forecast". I've checked my accounts and they're all functioning properly. And my archived files (I do an archive after every year) work properly - IE the cash flow forecast works. So it must be some problem with my mo...

Outlook client for CRM 4.0 error starting up
Hello, I have the following problem when I startup the outlook client. I get error : Symptom 4 When you start the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook, you receive the following error message: An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality, try restarting Outlook. Additionally, Error event 80072f19 is referenced in the Application log: Event: 16941 A problem occurred initializing the initialization progress toolbar. Restart Microsoft CRM and try again. HR=0x80072f19. Context=. Function=CAddin::HrActivateAddin. Line=322. I got this one from I microsoft document, but the solut...

Sending Publisher Files

Runtime Error in Excel 2007
Runtime Error in Excel 2007 Everytime I open a .xls file I get a message that says Runtime Error R6025-pure virtual function call and when I click OK the program closes down. Unable to work on any files. I have installed all the updates available. Any help is appreciated. Curiously enough this seems to be related to Internet Explorer. Fwiw: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925418 -- Jim "L J McKenney" <ljmac22@msn.net> wrote in message news:990a5590f5cb43209a29b135a7486f7f@ureader.com... | Runtime Error in Excel 2007 | | Everytime I open a .xls file ...

OL 2003 and Block Senders List
In OL XP, I could select several emails from my InBox and put them in my Junk Email senders list. OL 2003 doesn't seem to have that feature. While OL2003 seems to do a better job of handling Junk (on the high setting), I still get lots of junk that I need to block. Any solutions? ...

Error Code 8000FFFF
Unable to upgrade MSN get this error 8000FFF -- Chawalit I. IT Consultant Phuket Butler Co., LTD “We Serve You Everything” Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/chawalit Phuket Property: http://www.phuketbutler.com "raj" wrote: > Unable to upgrade MSN get this error 8000FFF try go to here: http://www.phuketbutler.com/msnfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "raj" <raj@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Publisher 2000 #23

Recovering Outlook Contacts After Windows Reinstallation
Hi, I am running XP SP3 and Outlook 2007. After reinstalling XP I realized that I forgot to backup my contacts. I thought I should be looking for a ..pst file. When I recovered outlook.pst and inserted it into c:\documents and settings\userprofile\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook and then opened outlook, I got a message saying that the .pst file is not a personal folders file. Please help. Thank you. Why are you reposting the same question instead of reading the reply to your earlier post? Do you need help using newsgroups? -- Russ Valentine "a...

Deleting multiple attachments in a 2003 message
In Outlook 2000, when you received an email with 20 attachments, you could select them all and click the delete button to remove them from the message at one time. In Outlook 2003, the only way seems to be by clicking each attachment individually, right clicking it and the clicking remove off of the menu one at a time. Is there an easier way? Jeffrey L ...

Global Address List disappear in Outlook 2003 #2
Dear all, We had just upgraded our clients' PC to Outlook 2003, in conjunction with Exchange 5.5. From time to time, when the user click on the Address Book icon inside Outlook, the Global Address list that reside on the right pulldown menu disappear. Restarting Outlook can solve the problem. What causes this behaviour? Regards, Michael ...