Publisher 2002 on Win98 - XP File won't open (crashes)

Dear all,

Situation:

Upgrade of Publisher to 2002 on Windows 98 (to take advantage of
compression etc).  Save Publisher files (doesn't matter what format)
on another machine which uses Windows XP with Publisher 2002.  Note:
the two machines are different operating systems only.  Open files on
Windows 98 with Publisher 2002.  It takes a little while and then
crashes asking me if I want to restart.  The safe mode option doesn't
help.  The details are quite long (and I cannot select them anyway).
But The main error message displays:

AppName: mspub.exe AppVer: 10.0.4128.0 ModName:mso.dll
ModVer: 10.0.4219.0 Offset: 0005af18

Assessment:

This does appear to be a problem that is at Microsoft's end.  Although
I have narrowed it down to a network issue.

in Safe Mode, the files open without any problem.  If I take out the
network card the files open (they take a little while, but they do
open).
I have done various tests taking out the network card: this works.
Then I have tried pulling out the network card and putting it back in
which is inconsistent, but without the network card it seems to try
for much longer to do something.  Having the network card in allows
Publisher to detect what ever it is detecting and crash.

I will test policies to see if this is the issue, but I don't think
so.

All of the above tests have been done on a few machines and with a
complete install.  If I have more time I may try one more machine, but
I think it will have the same problem.

I have upgraded my home machine and the files open without a problem
(a little slowly the first time but after that they are fine).

I have sent an error report several times, but I'm not sure whether
this feature actually works.  This may be another post for Microsoft
later!

Thanks and any advice/patches would be greatly appreciated.

We all here find it unusual that this has not been discovered yet, as
no Google group articles or Microsoft articles cover this as such.

Cheers,
Nathan
0
nhumphrey (4)

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C3E035.B3A4B3F0

Do you realise Publisher is not at all network friendly and the files =
you are attempting to open MUST be on the local hard drive.
When you save the files they MUST also be on the local hard drive.
After you have CLOSED Publisher you can then copy them back to the =
server if you need to.

PUB2002: Office Application Error Message in Publisher 2002 When You =
Open or Save a Publisher File
Applies To=20
This article was previously published under Q317070=20
SYMPTOMS
When you open or save a Microsoft Publisher file in Publisher 2002, you =
may receive the following Office Application Error Report message, and =
Publisher stops responding (hangs):=20

Microsoft Publisher has encountered an error and needs to close.=20
The details of the crash state that the crash occurs in module =
PTXT9.dll.=20
CAUSE
This problem can occur if more than 250 device fonts or PostScript Level =
1 fonts (ATM fonts) exist on the same system where Publisher 2002 is =
installed.

NOTE: To identify device fonts or PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) =
in Publisher, view the Font menu. On the Font menu, all device fonts and =
PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) are represented by a printer icon =
next to the actual font name.=20
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft =
Office XP. For additional information, click the following article =
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:=20
307841 OFFXP: How to Obtain the Latest Office XP Service Pack=20

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, reduce the number of device fonts or =
PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) on your computer system to fewer =
than 250 by following these steps.

NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the =
following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your =
product documentation to complete these steps.

  1.. Use Microsoft Windows Explorer to access the Fonts folder. In most =
versions of Windows, the Fonts folder appears under the Windows folder.=20
  2.. In the Fonts folder, locate the fonts that are identified by a red =
"A" icon next to the font name.=20
  3.. Select several device fonts/PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) =
by clicking each font name while holding CTRL.=20
  4.. With several device fonts selected, right-click the selected =
fonts, and then drag them to another location where you want to store =
them.=20
  5.. When you release the right-click, click Move from the list that =
appears.=20
  6.. Repeat steps 2 through 5, until the total number of device =
fonts/PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) in the Fonts folder is fewer =
than 250.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products =
that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first =
corrected in Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP-2).=20
  a.. Microsoft Publisher 2002
      Last Reviewed: 11/5/2003 (3.0) =20

--
------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C3E035.B3A4B3F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>Do you realise Publisher is not at all network friendly and the =
files you=20
are attempting to open MUST be on the local hard drive.</DIV>
<DIV>When you save the files they MUST also be on the local hard =
drive.</DIV>
<DIV>After you have CLOSED Publisher you can then copy them back to the =
server=20
if you need to.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<H1 class=3Dtitle>PUB2002: Office Application Error Message in Publisher =
2002 When=20
You Open or Save a Publisher File</H1><A=20
href=3D"http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;317070&=
amp;Product=3Dpub2002#appliesto">Applies=20
To</A>=20
<DIV class=3Dnotice>This article was previously published under Q317070 =
</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dnotice></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dsymptoms>
<H2>SYMPTOMS</H2>When you open or save a Microsoft Publisher file in =
Publisher=20
2002, you may receive the following Office Application Error Report =
message, and=20
Publisher stops responding (hangs): <BR>
<DIV class=3Derrormsg>Microsoft Publisher has encountered an error and =
needs to=20
close. </DIV>The details of the crash state that the crash occurs in =
module=20
PTXT9.dll. </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dcause>
<H2>CAUSE</H2>This problem can occur if more than 250 device fonts or =
PostScript=20
Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) exist on the same system where Publisher 2002 =
is=20
installed.<BR><BR><STRONG>NOTE</STRONG>: To identify device fonts or =
PostScript=20
Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) in Publisher, view the <STRONG>Font</STRONG> =
menu. On=20
the <STRONG>Font</STRONG> menu, all device fonts and PostScript Level 1 =
fonts=20
(ATM fonts) are represented by a printer icon next to the actual font =
name.=20
</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dresolution>
<H2>RESOLUTION</H2>To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service =
pack for=20
Microsoft Office XP. For additional information, click the following =
article=20
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:=20
<P class=3Dindent><A class=3DKBlink=20
href=3D"http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;307841"=
>307841</A>=20
OFFXP: How to Obtain the Latest Office XP Service Pack </P></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dworkaround>
<H2>WORKAROUND</H2>To work around this problem, reduce the number of =
device=20
fonts or PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) on your computer system to =
fewer=20
than 250 by following these steps.<BR><BR><STRONG>NOTE</STRONG>: Because =
there=20
are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be =
different=20
on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to =
complete these=20
steps.<BR>
<OL class=3Ddec>
  <LI>Use Microsoft Windows Explorer to access the Fonts folder. In most =

  versions of Windows, the Fonts folder appears under the Windows =
folder.=20
  <LI>In the Fonts folder, locate the fonts that are identified by a red =
"A"=20
  icon next to the font name.=20
  <LI>Select several device fonts/PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) =
by=20
  clicking each font name while holding CTRL.=20
  <LI>With several device fonts selected, right-click the selected =
fonts, and=20
  then drag them to another location where you want to store them.=20
  <LI>When you release the right-click, click <STRONG>Move</STRONG> from =
the=20
  list that appears.=20
  <LI>Repeat steps 2 through 5, until the total number of device=20
  fonts/PostScript Level 1 fonts (ATM fonts) in the Fonts folder is =
fewer than=20
  250.</LI></OL></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dstatus>
<H2>STATUS</H2>Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the =
Microsoft=20
products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem =
was=20
first corrected in Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP-2). </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dappliesto id=3Dappliesto name=3D"appliesto">
<H3>The information in this article applies to:</H3>
<UL>
  <LI>Microsoft Publisher 2002</LI></UL></DIV>
<TABLE class=3Ddocinfo cellSpacing=3D1 cellPadding=3D3 align=3Dcenter>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD class=3Dlabel vAlign=3Dtop noWrap align=3Dright =
width=3D"5%">Last Reviewed:</TD>
    <TD class=3Ddata vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dleft>11/5/2003 (3.0) =
</TD></TR>
  <TR class=3Dcomposite>
    <TD class=3Dlabel vAlign=3Dtop noWrap align=3Dright =
width=3D"5%">Keywords:</TD>
    <TD class=3Ddata vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dleft>kbbug kbfix =
kbOfficeXPsp2fix=20
    KB317070</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C3E035.B3A4B3F0--

0
donotknock (1942)
1/21/2004 4:46:14 AM
I have tried to save the file locally on the xp machine and I still
have the same problem.  Do I have to save in the same place that I
open it?  I will try this next.  But it's already starting to get a
bit rediculous.

Besides which, I am able to open the same files at home with a similar
set up, just no networking.

What is it looking on the network for anyway?  I tried a netstat -a
and it does look like it opens another port.  To what is anyone's
guess.  What ever it is doing Windows 98 doesn't like it.

Maybe the article you have posted will work, so I will try this as
well.

���MS�Publisher��� <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message news:<eNa8Cm93DHA.1428@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Do you realise Publisher is not at all network friendly and the files
> you are attempting to open MUST be on the local hard drive.
> When you save the files they MUST also be on the local hard drive.
> After you have CLOSED Publisher you can then copy them back to the
> server if you need to.
>
> PUB2002: Office Application Error Message in Publisher 2002 When You
> Open or Save a Publisher File
> Applies To
> This article was previously published under Q317070
> SYMPTOMS
> When you open or save a Microsoft Publisher file in Publisher 2002, you
> may receive the following Office Application Error Report message, and
> Publisher stops responding (hangs):
0
nhumphrey (4)
1/23/2004 8:42:02 AM
Did I mention that I had tried to upgrade to the very latest Service
Packs (in fact I went through everything) and I still had the problem.

So I think this article might not work.  But I'll try it anyway

cheers
0
nhumphrey (4)
1/26/2004 1:36:15 AM
Try the following, it is a Knowledge Base suggestion.
Most articles addressing the mso.dll recommend the XP service pack to correct your
error.

Right-click Start and then click Explore.
Double-click Programs, and then double-click Startup.
Right-click FindFast, and then click Delete.
Restart your computer.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"Nathan Humphrey" <nhumphrey@kgv.edu.hk> wrote in message
> Did I mention that I had tried to upgrade to the very latest Service
> Packs (in fact I went through everything) and I still had the problem.
>
> So I think this article might not work.  But I'll try it anyway
>
> cheers

0
laserdog (1122)
1/26/2004 9:51:29 AM
Problem solved.  But I think this thread needs to be moved to another
news group (a Samba one)

I would just like to thank my colleague for his advice and assistance
in hepling me with this. Without it I would never have come to THIS
conclusion.

The problem is Samba-related.

The main reason for this is because Publisher saves printer
information in the publisher file.  That's what it was looking for on
the network: the printer.

The only way to test this was to setup a different samba domain login.
 And another piece of luck was the fact that this samba server was an
older version:  samba-client-2.2.7a-7.9.0.  Our production Samba
version is samba-3.0.2rc1,1.

Exactly why this is a problem we are still trying to work out.

It seems that setting up the default printer is vital.

In our case, we use an alias with an exclamation mark (so that the
server appears first on the list).  For some reason using the printer
share with the alias works, and the normal printer share doesn't.

Anyway, this is not a Microsoft-related problem.
0
nhumphrey (4)

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

File and Print Sharing on Exchange 2003
Would there be any reason why I would need File and Print Sharing enabled on my Exchange 2003 cluster? I would like to minimize as much network services as possible and I can not think of any applicable use for FPS. I know mail slots use SMB but I do not believe Exchange 2003 uses mail slots??? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Brian Message tracking logs use a share so if you do remote admin you would lose this. There are two other shares in addition. I do not believe any are critical but be aware of what you will no longer have available. Nue "HoosierDaddy" <bjorgenson@...

MS Money and Business 2002
I'm confused. I've been using MS Money 2002 on a Windows 2000 Pro pc since 2002. Now I'm running MS Money 2002 on an XP Pro pc. I received a message telling me I would no longer be able to log into Money 2002 since July 31, 2008. That was some time ago. Question: If one logs in using the "Offline" mode, can one continue to use this old version of MS Money? I don't care if nothing automatically updates. Thank you for your help. ...

publisher #74

utility to browse read-only PST files?
Everyone, Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can do this job? greetings, Tom I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs demand they be read-write. <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134989524.109196.243610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Sending Publisher Files

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

Sharing PST files
My partner and I each have different profiles (Windows XP) on our home computer, but have a shared email account. When I first set up the email account in Outlook 2002, I was logged into the computer as myself and just clicked on all of the default settings to establish the email account. However, I've discovered that she can't access the email account when logged into the computer as herself Is there some way to save all of the Outlook files associated with the email account to a shared folder and to instruct Outlook to look for that account information in the new location? &qu...

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Publisher 2000 #23

Outlook 2002
This just started today. Outlook opens ok to the Outlook Today view and does a send / receive (I'm on DSL). When I click on a shortcut to any folder, i.e. Inbox, I get a quick view of that folder but then a page displays that says "Search results for "outlook:Inbox" Sorry, your keywords did not match any results. Please try again. On the address line it shows "http://www.jraun.com/search.php? search=outlook:Inbox" Any ideas If you click the folder names in the Folder List instead of the Outlook Bar, do the folders open successfully? -- Jocelyn ...

Publisher 2003

Excel Crash when using set command
I have a userform with numerous controls on it. The _Initialize event i fairly extensive, and one section is setting the following array, whic is declared in the form: Dim statusIndicators(8) As MSForms.Image 'Array of status indicators The code in the _Initialize method is as follows: 'Set status indicator image links With frmDataEntry Set statusIndicators(0) = .imgClaimInfo Set statusIndicators(1) = .imgAccidentInfo Set statusIndicators(2) = .imgInjuryInfo Set statusIndicators(3) = .imgCompensability Set statusIndicators(4) = .imgQuality Set statusIndicators(5) = .imgRTW Set statu...

upgrade publisher

Money 2002 Investment Calculations
My Point is: I have been tracking my invesments since the beggining of the year. Sooooo.... my YTD return should be just as follows: Return = (Actual Market Value + Dividends) / (Initial Cost) Sooo.... My portfolio: Dividends: none Actual market value (according to Money): 11351 (Does not include cash, of course) Actual cost basis: 10759 (should not include cash, i believe it doesn't) RETURN: 11351/10759 - 1 = 5,5% YTD Return according to money = 3,29% !!!! WRONG!!!! And ACTUALLY, I don't know how the hell Money calculates the cost basis: In the Investment Performance report it says...

saving excel file with it's add in
Hi, I have an Excel file that uses a formula from an add in installed in m computer (*.xla). How can I save the project including the add in in order to use it i another computer that doesn't have the add in. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you really mean that your workbook uses a function that's in the addin? If yes, I think you have two choices. #1. Take the addin with you (and install it on the other pc). #2. Extract the code/procedure for that function from the addin and put it in your workbook. (If the addin's project is protected, then thi...

Microsoft Publisher ?