Publisher 2000, Windows XP Home, file locked across network

I found this question posted already, and tried to add to it as I'm having
the same problem.  My post hasn't shown up after a few hours, so I'm tying a
new thread.

Had a Windows95 peer to peer network set up.  Running Publisher 2000 and
other apps.  Was sharing all data files on one station.  All was well.

Swapped out the workstations with new Windows XP Home workstations.  Copied
all the files over, reinstalled the applications.  All of the old files can
be opened across the network without issue.  (including Publisher 2000)

However, when a NEW publisher document is created, I can't open it on other
workstations.  I get "The file is locked because it is currently being used
by another program".  (yes, I've closed the document on the machine that
created it)

--Updated Windows XP & Publisher 2000 with all current updates and patches.
--Tried copying the file to the local drive, and I get a similar message
when trying to copy the file..."access denied"
--I've disabled antivirus software
--logged out of the system the file resides on.
--Tried creating a new shared folder, and working from there.
--I tried accessing the file via a mapped drive (p:) and via the full
network path (\\wk1\public)...

.............all gleaming the same results.......

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Peter Bilyk
pete@interactivecomp.com

0
pete2571 (5)

Just a thought... could it be some wierd conflict with running Publisher
2000 w/ drives that are NTFS?    I have no easy way to test this (short of
installing a second hard drive ..formatted FAT32)

0
pete2571 (5)
7/21/2004 1:28:41 AM
Peter the issue is Publisher 2000 is under no circumstances network
friendly.

What is more, Publisher files should only ever be used on the same local
hard drive the program resides on otherwise corruption will occur.

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
brains (331)
7/21/2004 4:51:28 AM
I understand your point, (should be fun explaining it to the customer) it's
just frustrating becuase it worked flawlessly under windows 95.  Is the XP
version of Publisher any more network friendly?

0
pete2571 (5)
7/21/2004 5:00:13 AM
Just a thought, any chance it's an NTFS-Publisher conflict/issue?

 I suppose I could try throwing in a secondary FAT32 Hard drive

0
pete2571 (5)
7/21/2004 5:01:40 AM
Supposedly yes according to MS, but in reality no.
You still get file corruption unless you have the root of the server open to
all users.

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
brains (331)

Exchange 2000 disaster recovery #3
This is a mess! My Domain Controller/Exchange Server experienced a fatal error. Drive D had some sector errors but is now functioning. This is where Exchange was installed. This error caused Drive M to "dispapear". At this point Exchange Manager says the Exchange Server cannot be contacted although all the automatic services are started. Drive D seems to have the data store files (hopefully in tact). I've now created a new machine in a new domain with a fresh install of Exchange 2000. I want to "recover" the data from the original Exchange 2000 server (rememeber th...

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Windows NT
will money work on windows NT 4.O? Which version of Money? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Tony" <taxley@crothall.com> wrote in message news:019201c36d8e$1c4b0cd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > will money work on windows NT 4.O? With Money 2003, NT and Win95 ceased to be supported. >-----Original Message----- >will money work on windows NT 4.O? >. > ...

XP: copy/paste from Access into Excel
Hello I am converting lots of Access/Excel apps to the XP version and I hav problems with the most stupid issues. Here is one of them: in the previous version (under NT) I could just copy and past tables/queries from Access into Excel (Crtl C/Crtl V) and everythin was working. Now the numbers are all formatted as text in Excel unless I past special (Biff5). I know I could use the Tools--> Analise it with Excel (from Access t Excel) but this opens the results in a new sheet and sometimes I nee to paste in a specified region of existing spreadsheets. Yes, I could also use pass through query ...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

Installing components for Microsoft Excel XP
I Need Help. I recently demoted my PDC to a standard server and joined another domain. Now when I attempt to access Excel I receive the following: =========================================== "Installing components for Microsoft Excel" Installing: "Microsoft Excel Feature" =========================================== It runs and then goes away but it does this every time I open Excel. How do I get rid of this message. I really don't want to re-install Excel. Things I have done. 1. Copied the old user's profile to the new one. 2. Move the Application Data...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

publisher #74

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Excel 2000 Toolbar Customization
I've customized the toolbars to my satisfaction and also created my own customized toolbar under 'views - toolbars'. The customized toolbars work great during a single Excel session. When I fire-up Excel the next time it's reverted to the as-delivered toolbars. What's wrong? How can I make a permanent change to the toolbars? Also on start-up, Excel sometimes opens two blank workbooks. What's that about? Thanks much for the help. On the custom toolbar issue: Run a search on your HDD to locate a file called Excel.xlb. If my guess is right. you'll find ...

Outlook for Office 2000
Need Help Badly! Have experienced a denied access to my outlook. cannot delete messages from any folder. message as follows: C:\Windows\Local Settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. could not be accessed.Access denied. have removed program and restored. have tried exporting - not working. help help help How big is the .PST file? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:54aa01c3e52b$44249b30$a001280a@phx.gbl, pd wrote: > Need Hel...

Sending Publisher Files

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

Publisher 2000 #23

Recovering Outlook Contacts After Windows Reinstallation
Hi, I am running XP SP3 and Outlook 2007. After reinstalling XP I realized that I forgot to backup my contacts. I thought I should be looking for a ..pst file. When I recovered outlook.pst and inserted it into c:\documents and settings\userprofile\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook and then opened outlook, I got a message saying that the .pst file is not a personal folders file. Please help. Thank you. Why are you reposting the same question instead of reading the reply to your earlier post? Do you need help using newsgroups? -- Russ Valentine "a...

Cash Drawer locked by another application
Hi everyone, I have a MMF cash drawer connected to an Epson TM-T88IV running on RMS 2.0. I've configured the OPOS for both the cash drawer and the receipt printer. Receipt printer works fine, but I can't open the cash drawer. I'm getting error 913: application is locked by another application. Could someone shed some light on how to resolve this issue? Thank you. We've had similar experience ... try powering off everything (PC included) and powering back on. This should kill the application that has locked the drawer. "MB" wrote: > Hi everyone, > ...

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000
How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder. Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15e0501c4472a$7284c980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel > 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in > the XLStart folder. If you've ente...

Outlook constantly prompts for Network Password
This is starting to drive me insane. I have just connected to ADSL and whenever MS Outlook is open, it prompts me to 'enter network password'. If I put the password in, check the 'save password' box, and click ok, the prompt comes up again immediately. If I cancel it, it takes, oh, 5 seconds to reappear. What can I do? I do hope there's a simple answer: haven't been able to find it yet. Thanks, Sophia ...

Publisher 2003