Publisher 2000 conversion to PDF file

I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
it.  Please help
0
Nitro4 (12)

What size are the cards? Four to a page? Are you using Acrobat?  Are you
changing the page settings in the print options?

If you are trying to print four to a page, Print, Select the PDF printer, Page
Options button

Side 2.42
Top  0.64
Horizontal Gap 4.13
Vertical Gap .57

If you are trying to print one card per page you will have to setup 3.5 x 2
custom size in your PDF program.
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> it.  Please help

0
mary.sauer (2018)
1/10/2009 10:44:17 PM
Mary,
I am trying to make one good PDF copy to send to Overnight prints to print.
My cards are standard 3.5 by 2 in but when and it looks like just one card in
Publisher but when it is opened by Adobe Reader 6.0 it is a sheet of 10

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What size are the cards? Four to a page? Are you using Acrobat?  Are you
> changing the page settings in the print options?
>
> If you are trying to print four to a page, Print, Select the PDF printer, Page
> Options button
>
> Side 2.42
> Top  0.64
> Horizontal Gap 4.13
> Vertical Gap .57
>
> If you are trying to print one card per page you will have to setup 3.5 x 2
> custom size in your PDF program.
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> > looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> > house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> > 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> > must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> > it.  Please help

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/10/2009 11:01:01 PM
Dar Mary,
No matter whether I convert it to a pdf on my computer or send it off online
to Zambar when it opens it opens like an Avery Label with 10 cards on it.  I
cannot change it once I receive it on Adobe Reader 6.0 do I figure somewhere
in my Publisher it is set to make these multiple images although all I see is
one when I create the card in Publisher 2000.  Thanks, I am not real
knowledgable about Publisher

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What size are the cards? Four to a page? Are you using Acrobat?  Are you
> changing the page settings in the print options?
>
> If you are trying to print four to a page, Print, Select the PDF printer, Page
> Options button
>
> Side 2.42
> Top  0.64
> Horizontal Gap 4.13
> Vertical Gap .57
>
> If you are trying to print one card per page you will have to setup 3.5 x 2
> custom size in your PDF program.
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> > looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> > house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> > 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> > must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> > it.  Please help

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/10/2009 11:12:04 PM
Nitro4 wrote:
> I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> it.  Please help

You need to change your options under File > Print Setup to print a
single card per page (and, if you want the PDF to be the same size as
the card, to change the paper size in the same place to match the card
size).

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Nitro4 wrote:
> > I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> > looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> > house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> > 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> > must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> > it.  Please help
>
> You need to change your options under File > Print Setup to print a
> single card per page (and, if you want the PDF to be the same size as
> the card, to change the paper size in the same place to match the card
> size).
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/10/2009 11:38:08 PM
I have checked page set up and it is 2 x 3.5  centered one on a page
landscape. I tried setting the Printing setup as custom, and A4 and full page
and it makes no difference. I tired printing the pub file and although it
looks like it should be one business card it prints 10 images on the page.
My computer is inhabited by aliens and when they find out I  have been
talking to you this may be my last transmission.  I feel like "the Astronauts
Wife" , you have to be a Johnny Depp fan to get that.

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Nitro4 wrote:
> > I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.  It
> > looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
> > house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up of
> > 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.  It
> > must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
> > it.  Please help
>
> You need to change your options under File > Print Setup to print a
> single card per page (and, if you want the PDF to be the same size as
> the card, to change the paper size in the same place to match the card
> size).
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/11/2009 3:21:00 AM
If you have Acrobat, File, Print, Select Adobe PDF, Properties button,
high-light Adobe PDF Page Size, click the Add button. Type a Paper Name, Type
3.5 Width, Height 2.0.
If you are using Centimeters type the numbers that correspond to the business
card size. Use this paper setup to print your card.
If you have a different PDF program, look for a custom page size dialogue.

--

>I have checked page set up and it is 2 x 3.5  centered one on a page
> landscape. I tried setting the Printing setup as custom, and A4 and full page
> and it makes no difference. I tired printing the pub file and although it
> looks like it should be one business card it prints 10 images on the page.
> My computer is inhabited by aliens and when they find out I  have been
> talking to you this may be my last transmission.  I feel like "the Astronauts
> Wife" , you have to be a Johnny Depp fan to get that.
>
> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
>> Nitro4 wrote:
>> > I made up a business card in Publisher 2000 using a photo and some text.
>> > It
>> > looks great but when I try to convert it to a PDF file either by using in
>> > house with Docudesk or sending it out to Zamzar it comes back in a set up
>> > of
>> > 10 cards on a 8x11 page like I am going to print in on some Avery format.
>> > It
>> > must be a setting in my Publisher program but I do not know how to correct
>> > it.  Please help
>>
>> You need to change your options under File > Print Setup to print a
>> single card per page (and, if you want the PDF to be the same size as
>> the card, to change the paper size in the same place to match the card
>> size).
>>
>> --
>> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>> http://ed.mvps.org

0
mary.sauer (2018)
1/11/2009 11:33:53 AM
Mary,
The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the publisher file
it prints ten business cards to the page even when the page set up says it is
a business card and the diagram shows one business card to the page and I set
the printer set up to a business card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the
problem is not in the conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which
prints something entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is
Aliens

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> If you have Acrobat, File, Print, Select Adobe PDF, Properties button,
> high-light Adobe PDF Page Size, click the Add button. Type a Paper Name, Type
> 3.5 Width, Height 2.0.
> If you are using Centimeters type the numbers that correspond to the business
> card size. Use this paper setup to print your card.
> If you have a different PDF program, look for a custom page size dialogue.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have checked page set up and it is 2 x 3.5  centered one on a page
> > landscape. I tried setting the Printing setup as custom, and A4 and full page
> > and it makes no difference. I tired printing the pub file and although it
> > looks like it should be one business card it prints 10 images on the page.
> > My computer is inhabited by aliens and when they find out I  have been
> > talking to you this may be my last transmission.  I feel like "the Astronauts
> > Wife" , you have to be a Johnny Depp fan to get that.

> >> You need to change your options under File > Print Setup to print a
> >> single card per page (and, if you want the PDF to be the same size as
> >> the card, to change the paper size in the same place to match the card
> >> size).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> >> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/11/2009 2:39:00 PM
Nitro4 wrote:
> Mary,
> The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the
> publisher file it prints ten business cards to the page even when the
> page set up says it is a business card and the diagram shows one
> business card to the page and I set the printer set up to a business
> card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the problem is not in the
> conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which prints something
> entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is Aliens
==================================
Could you copy/paste the business card on
a new blank project and make a .pdf from that?

--

    John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie (2069)
1/11/2009 4:05:41 PM
Nitro, I have converted a business card with Publisher 2000 over and over. It
always works... Can you send me your publication? I will convert it for you.

--

> Mary,
> The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the publisher file
> it prints ten business cards to the page even when the page set up says it is
> a business card and the diagram shows one business card to the page and I set
> the printer set up to a business card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the
> problem is not in the conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which
> prints something entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is
> Aliens
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> If you have Acrobat, File, Print, Select Adobe PDF, Properties button,
>> high-light Adobe PDF Page Size, click the Add button. Type a Paper Name, Type
>> 3.5 Width, Height 2.0.
>> If you are using Centimeters type the numbers that correspond to the business
>> card size. Use this paper setup to print your card.
>> If you have a different PDF program, look for a custom page size dialogue.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have checked page set up and it is 2 x 3.5  centered one on a page
>> > landscape. I tried setting the Printing setup as custom, and A4 and full
>> > page
>> > and it makes no difference. I tired printing the pub file and although it
>> > looks like it should be one business card it prints 10 images on the page.
>> > My computer is inhabited by aliens and when they find out I  have been
>> > talking to you this may be my last transmission.  I feel like "the
>> > Astronauts
>> > Wife" , you have to be a Johnny Depp fan to get that.

0
mary.sauer (2018)
1/11/2009 5:51:55 PM
p.s.

My email address is mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mary,
> The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the publisher file
> it prints ten business cards to the page even when the page set up says it is
> a business card and the diagram shows one business card to the page and I set
> the printer set up to a business card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the
> problem is not in the conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which
> prints something entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is
> Aliens
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> If you have Acrobat, File, Print, Select Adobe PDF, Properties button,
>> high-light Adobe PDF Page Size, click the Add button. Type a Paper Name, Type
>> 3.5 Width, Height 2.0.
>> If you are using Centimeters type the numbers that correspond to the business
>> card size. Use this paper setup to print your card.
>> If you have a different PDF program, look for a custom page size dialogue.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have checked page set up and it is 2 x 3.5  centered one on a page
>> > landscape. I tried setting the Printing setup as custom, and A4 and full
>> > page
>> > and it makes no difference. I tired printing the pub file and although it
>> > looks like it should be one business card it prints 10 images on the page.
>> > My computer is inhabited by aliens and when they find out I  have been
>> > talking to you this may be my last transmission.  I feel like "the
>> > Astronauts
>> > Wife" , you have to be a Johnny Depp fan to get that.

0
mary.sauer (2018)
1/11/2009 5:56:30 PM
Nitro4 wrote:
> The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the publisher file
> it prints ten business cards to the page even when the page set up says it is
> a business card and the diagram shows one business card to the page and I set
> the printer set up to a business card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the
> problem is not in the conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which
> prints something entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is
> Aliens

What you see when you create your publication is one individual copy.
Obviously if it is set up to print 10-to-a-page then you'll get 10
copies of the publication on one page, but that does not change the size
of the finished business card.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Publisher 2000 available to check
the exact menu sequence you need to use, but I guarantee that at least
part of the problem is in the way that the printer driver is configured.

(Part of the problem is that Publisher 2000 depends upon the printer
driver for some aspects of a publication, and the relationship between
the print setup and the page setup can be somewhat tenuous.)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6344)
1/11/2009 6:54:14 PM
John and Ed,
I tried to open a New Publisher window and create the card from scratch and
it did the same thing.  I think Ed is correct, there is something in the
printer setting or driver settings that change the single looking card
created to a sheet of ten when it is converted or printed.  I sent a file to
Mary to see what  happens when she converts it.  Thanks everyone

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Nitro4 wrote:
> > Mary,
> > The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the
> > publisher file it prints ten business cards to the page even when the
> > page set up says it is a business card and the diagram shows one
> > business card to the page and I set the printer set up to a business
> > card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the problem is not in the
> > conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which prints something
> > entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is Aliens
> ==================================
> Could you copy/paste the business card on
> a new blank project and make a .pdf from that?
>
> --
>
>     John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
>             Notice
> This is not tech support
>       I am a volunteer
>
>  Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

0
Nitro4 (12)
1/11/2009 10:41:01 PM
Thanks to Mary, Ed and John for all your effort.  Mary was able to convert
the publisher file on her computer so the publisher file was not corrupted.
It must be another setting on my pc that overrides the Publisher print
setting to cause a multiple image. I will keep looking for the problem. I did
use a page set up similar to this on Lotus long ago and maybe that is the
problem. I need to uninstall Lotus anyway.   Les

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> p.s.
>
> My email address is mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mary,
> > The problem is not in the pdf printer because if I print the publisher file
> > it prints ten business cards to the page even when the page set up says it is
> > a business card and the diagram shows one business card to the page and I set
> > the printer set up to a business card size in millimeters 148 by 210. So the
> > problem is not in the conversion to pdf but in the Publisher itself which
> > prints something entirely different than what it shows.  I still think it is
> > Aliens
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have Acrobat, File, Print, Select Adobe PDF, Properties button,
> >> high-light Adobe PDF Page Size, click the Add button. Type a Paper Name, Type
> >> 3.5 Width, Height 2.0.
> >> If you are using Centimeters type the numbers that correspond to the business
> >> card size. Use this paper setup to print your card.
> >> If you have a different PDF program, look for a custom page size dialogue.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "Nitro4" <Nitro4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Nitro4 (12)

Exchange 2000 disaster recovery #3
This is a mess! My Domain Controller/Exchange Server experienced a fatal error. Drive D had some sector errors but is now functioning. This is where Exchange was installed. This error caused Drive M to "dispapear". At this point Exchange Manager says the Exchange Server cannot be contacted although all the automatic services are started. Drive D seems to have the data store files (hopefully in tact). I've now created a new machine in a new domain with a fresh install of Exchange 2000. I want to "recover" the data from the original Exchange 2000 server (rememeber th...

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

publisher #74

utility to browse read-only PST files?
Everyone, Since Outlook refuses to browse through read-only PST files (yes, I know this is by design, and I still find it stupid that for read-only files it does not revert to basic functionality of just browsing through the mails, without the need to update any meta-data such as sort order etc.), does anybody know of any 3rd party utility that can do this job? greetings, Tom I don't think any util will open them since I think the lower level APIs demand they be read-write. <tomtorfs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134989524.109196.243610@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Excel 2000 Toolbar Customization
I've customized the toolbars to my satisfaction and also created my own customized toolbar under 'views - toolbars'. The customized toolbars work great during a single Excel session. When I fire-up Excel the next time it's reverted to the as-delivered toolbars. What's wrong? How can I make a permanent change to the toolbars? Also on start-up, Excel sometimes opens two blank workbooks. What's that about? Thanks much for the help. On the custom toolbar issue: Run a search on your HDD to locate a file called Excel.xlb. If my guess is right. you'll find ...

Outlook for Office 2000
Need Help Badly! Have experienced a denied access to my outlook. cannot delete messages from any folder. message as follows: C:\Windows\Local Settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. could not be accessed.Access denied. have removed program and restored. have tried exporting - not working. help help help How big is the .PST file? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:54aa01c3e52b$44249b30$a001280a@phx.gbl, pd wrote: > Need Hel...

Sending Publisher Files

Sharing PST files
My partner and I each have different profiles (Windows XP) on our home computer, but have a shared email account. When I first set up the email account in Outlook 2002, I was logged into the computer as myself and just clicked on all of the default settings to establish the email account. However, I've discovered that she can't access the email account when logged into the computer as herself Is there some way to save all of the Outlook files associated with the email account to a shared folder and to instruct Outlook to look for that account information in the new location? &qu...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Publisher 2000 #23

Same .pst Files Looks Different on other PC
Hello, I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and 1 (wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer including all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers 10.4712.4219 SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour, i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and then they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click th...

Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000
How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder. Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15e0501c4472a$7284c980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel > 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in > the XLStart folder. If you've ente...

Publisher 2003

Defrag Exchange 2000 Server
Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange 2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from this forum. Thanks. I'd advise against it and have never heard of someone recommending it. Todd "Rob" <rmfalconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42B5A215-1214-47D6-9839-7825D088D808@microsoft.com... > Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange > 2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from > this > forum. > > Thanks. ...

upgrade publisher