Publisher 2000 - cannot open files

After I open the Publisher 2000 program and attempt to
open a file or create a new document, I get the
message "Microsoft Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has
encoountered a problem and needs to close.  WE are sorry
for the inconvenience".

I tried repairing the program and even reinstalling it,
but that did not correct it. Suggestions?
0
tevanz (1)

If you are trying to use Publisher on a network - don't it is not intended
for a network

Publisher files have to be worked on and saved to the local hard drive ONLY.

donotknock (1942)
10/9/2003 11:31:24 PM
Hi tom (tevanz@bellsouth.net),
in the Microsoft� newsgroups
you posted:

|| After I open the Publisher 2000 program and attempt to
|| open a file or create a new document, I get the
|| message "Microsoft Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has
|| encoountered a problem and needs to close.  WE are sorry
|| for the inconvenience".
|| I tried repairing the program and even reinstalling it,
|| but that did not correct it. Suggestions?

Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about video
drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix
the problems you are encountering.

I would recommend is restarting your computer in 'Safe Mode'. To get
to Safe Mode, restart your computer and press "F8" at the beginning
of the boot process. Once prompted, choose 'Safe Mode'. Once in
'Safe Mode', attempt the same procedure with Microsoft Publisher.

If the publication works, then we will now assume the problem lies
within your video driver. Restart your computer.

If you have not already done so, you would want to visit the
manufacturers website of your video driver to download and install the
latest video driver that is available. It's important to note that
the CD-Rom that came with your video card will most likely NOT have the
most recent driver for your video adapter.

Popular Video Driver Sites:
-----------------------------
Nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers

ATI
http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

Voodoo
http://www.voodoofiles.com/
----------------------------

Search for the video driver that represents the model that you are using
and download the driver. To determine which card you have:

1. Right Click on your Desktop
2. Go to Properties
3. Go to the Settings Tab
4. Click on Advanced

Search for the video driver that represents the make and model that you
are using and download that driver. I would make sure you select "Save"
when prompted for download, not "Run". Typically many save to My Documents.

After you download the driver begin the setup. Use the following procedure
to change your video driver:

1. Right click anywhere on your Desktop, and choose Properties.
2. This will open Display Properties. Choose the "Settings" tab
3. Click on the "Advanced Properties" Button
4. On the "Adapter" Tab, Choose "Change"
5. Now you should see "Select Device". If your new driver is listed, select
that model.
6. If not, choose "Have Disk", and browse to the location where you setup
the new driver.
7. Now choose "OK". Be sure to have you Windows CD available, as you may be
prompted for this.
8. After setup and install is complete, restart your computer.

This should fix your troubles. If not, either contact your video card
manufacturer directly and inform them of the problem you have experienced,
or turn down your hardware acceleration. This will be at least a possible
temporary fix until you get a response from the tech support from your video
card manufacturer. The steps to turn down your hardware acceleration are as
follows:

1. Right click on "My Computer"
2. Choose "Properties"
3. On System Properties choose the "Performance" Tab
4. Under advanced settings, choose "Graphics"
5. Change hardare acceleration to "None"
6. Choose OK and OK again
7. Restart computer

(You don't necessarily have to go all the way to None. You could try one
notch at a time, but that will require a restart for each notch).

Post back if you have any further questions. Feel free to visit my website
at http://www.mvps.org/publisher for some great information.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Office Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
publisher (1245)

Exchange 2000 disaster recovery #3
This is a mess! My Domain Controller/Exchange Server experienced a fatal error. Drive D had some sector errors but is now functioning. This is where Exchange was installed. This error caused Drive M to "dispapear". At this point Exchange Manager says the Exchange Server cannot be contacted although all the automatic services are started. Drive D seems to have the data store files (hopefully in tact). I've now created a new machine in a new domain with a fresh install of Exchange 2000. I want to "recover" the data from the original Exchange 2000 server (rememeber th...

file share access to w2k8 host needed from image
hi, i am currently using vs 2005 r2 sp1 on a windows 2008 host machine (secured by ipsec). i now want to have file share access to my host from any image. when i try to run "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" i do receive an error as following: "the network path was not found". please note: - either image client can access shares on different computers - i can access my host from any other client in network (no virtual one) using "net share \\<hostmachine>\c$" - stop ipsec on host does not change anything so the problem probably has to do with some f...

Convert cvs file to excel file
the CVS file has 1000 records seprated by a comma when I try to open with excel it only take 256 records and places them in a single row I need to have all 1000 records placed in a single column is there a way to convert this file? Open it in Notepad/Wordpad etc and I'm assuming from your text that you will see something like the following:- 17,12,20,19,5,14,20,5,11,3 Do an Edit / Replace and replace , with ; (Replace comma with semi-colon) so that you now have 17;12;20;19;5;14;20;5;11;3 Copy the string and paste into a cell in Excel (Assume cell A1) Now put ={ at the front and ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

publisher #74

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

File Not Found dialogue
Excel 2000 Do you know why the annoying "File Not Found" dialog box shows up? This happens when I move a few of the work sheets out of my main spreadsheet, which contains about 25 worksheets. In other words, I create a smaller file by exporting just 3 worksheets that are part of a large file that contains about 25 worksheets. If I click the "X" (File Close) button several times, the annoying dialog boxes finally go away, only to re-appear the next time I open the small file. The worksheets that I want to use to create the small file were originally prod...

Excel 2000 Toolbar Customization
I've customized the toolbars to my satisfaction and also created my own customized toolbar under 'views - toolbars'. The customized toolbars work great during a single Excel session. When I fire-up Excel the next time it's reverted to the as-delivered toolbars. What's wrong? How can I make a permanent change to the toolbars? Also on start-up, Excel sometimes opens two blank workbooks. What's that about? Thanks much for the help. On the custom toolbar issue: Run a search on your HDD to locate a file called Excel.xlb. If my guess is right. you'll find ...

Outlook for Office 2000
Need Help Badly! Have experienced a denied access to my outlook. cannot delete messages from any folder. message as follows: C:\Windows\Local Settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. could not be accessed.Access denied. have removed program and restored. have tried exporting - not working. help help help How big is the .PST file? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:54aa01c3e52b$44249b30$a001280a@phx.gbl, pd wrote: > Need Hel...

Sending Publisher Files

Sharing PST files
My partner and I each have different profiles (Windows XP) on our home computer, but have a shared email account. When I first set up the email account in Outlook 2002, I was logged into the computer as myself and just clicked on all of the default settings to establish the email account. However, I've discovered that she can't access the email account when logged into the computer as herself Is there some way to save all of the Outlook files associated with the email account to a shared folder and to instruct Outlook to look for that account information in the new location? &qu...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

Publisher 2000 #23

MFC-Storing View as Bitmap File
Hello All, I am Developing a MFC SDI application,where I want to store the CHtmlView Contents as Bitmap Image file.I have made CHtmlView as a Child of CView.I want to create this bitmap file when an button on the popup dialog is clicked.I want entire content of CHtmlView even though the poppup dialog is above the CHtmlView. Please tell me how to Implement this..I need it urgently.. Any sample code will be of great help. Thanks in Advance, pra Create a metafile DC and have it draw to that. You can probably just play the metafile back to a bitmap. By using a metafile as the intermediary,...

Outlook 2002
This just started today. Outlook opens ok to the Outlook Today view and does a send / receive (I'm on DSL). When I click on a shortcut to any folder, i.e. Inbox, I get a quick view of that folder but then a page displays that says "Search results for "outlook:Inbox" Sorry, your keywords did not match any results. Please try again. On the address line it shows "http://www.jraun.com/search.php? search=outlook:Inbox" Any ideas If you click the folder names in the Folder List instead of the Outlook Bar, do the folders open successfully? -- Jocelyn ...

Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000
How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder. Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15e0501c4472a$7284c980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel > 2000? This file does not exist and there is nothing in > the XLStart folder. If you've ente...

Publisher 2003

Defrag Exchange 2000 Server
Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange 2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from this forum. Thanks. I'd advise against it and have never heard of someone recommending it. Todd "Rob" <rmfalconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42B5A215-1214-47D6-9839-7825D088D808@microsoft.com... > Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange > 2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from > this > forum. > > Thanks. ...

upgrade publisher

Microsoft Publisher ?