Printing booklet

I am producing a 50 to 60 page booklet using Pubisher
2003.  The page format will be using 8.5 x 11 paper
folded in half.  I need to print both sides of the
paper.  How do I print the booklet so that I print half
the project on one side of the paper and the other half
on the back.  Will publisher keep track of the pages so
that for example; that page 2 and page 50 print on the
same side/sheet of paper so when all pages are printed,
folded and bound the book reads correctly.
Thanks
John
Houston, Tx
0
jsteiger (7)

more info...I am using a single side printer so I have to
run the pages through twice to print both sides of the
paper.  JS

0
jsteiger (7)
5/23/2004 4:59:56 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from John
Steiger <jsteiger@houston.rr.com>!"...
> I am producing a 50 to 60 page booklet using Pubisher
> 2003.  The page format will be using 8.5 x 11 paper
> folded in half.  I need to print both sides of the
> paper.  How do I print the booklet so that I print half
> the project on one side of the paper and the other half
> on the back.

You will either need to manually turn the paper over as it comes out of the
printer, or you will need to activate some kind of duplexing feature in your
printer driver.
If you have no manual duplex features in your printer driver, then you will
need to use an intermediary driver such as FinePrint from www.fineprint.com.
Failing that, you could create a PDF file and use the manual duplex features
in Adobe Reader.
A free PDF creator is available at www.pdf995.com

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/23/2004 5:17:35 PM
I have a question for you. I've seen many people post the same question and
I always wonder - how many of these booklets are you printing? If you are
only doing one and then taking it to the printers, why go thru all of that?
I've always been curious about this.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John Steiger" <jsteiger@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am producing a 50 to 60 page booklet using Pubisher
> 2003.  The page format will be using 8.5 x 11 paper
> folded in half.  I need to print both sides of the
> paper.  How do I print the booklet so that I print half
> the project on one side of the paper and the other half
> on the back.  Will publisher keep track of the pages so
> that for example; that page 2 and page 50 print on the
> same side/sheet of paper so when all pages are printed,
> folded and bound the book reads correctly.
> Thanks
> John
> Houston, Tx

---

jl_amerson (3088)
5/23/2004 6:26:12 PM
It is a project my wife is working on for a family reunion.  We are going to print about 75 copies.  I may end up taking the print job to the local kinkos to printed.  I just wanted to make that it is possible to create the project and be able to tell the printer to print the pages in the proper sequence.  I know that I will have to the run the paper throgh twice if I print it myself(I am not looking forward to printing it myself, but you know, anything for the spouse).  I hoping to be able to have someone else print the project depending on the cost
John
0
jsteiger (7)
5/23/2004 8:06:02 PM
When you print a booklet take care in how the sheets of paper are stacked to
ensure they result in sequential order.

If you plan to staple the booklets, you will need a "long arm" stapler.

Note to JoAnne: I publish less than 6 booklets (many copies) but they get
updated often.

--
Don
--------

> It is a project my wife is working on for a family reunion.  We are going
to print about 75 copies.  I may end up taking the print job to the local
kinkos to printed.  I just wanted to make that it is possible to create the
project and be able to tell the printer to print the pages in the proper
sequence.  I know that I will have to the run the paper throgh twice if I
print it myself(I am not looking forward to printing it myself, but you
know, anything for the spouse).  I hoping to be able to have someone else
print the project depending on the cost.
> John

0
Engineer1 (288)
5/23/2004 8:29:20 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from John
Steiger <jsteiger@houston.rr.com>!"...
> It is a project my wife is working on for a family reunion.  We are
> going to print about 75 copies.  I may end up taking the print job to
> the local kinkos to printed.  I just wanted to make that it is
> possible to create the project and be able to tell the printer to
> print the pages in the proper sequence.

Yes, and I listed the options for you

If you give the document to Kinkos, they will use their automatic machinery
to do it for you.

Check out the links at http://office.microsoft.com/ for links to a place
where you can find internet-based and local printers who accept Microsoft
Publisher files.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/23/2004 8:34:32 PM
I can see if you only a few copies (definitely under 10 copies) but anything
more than that, get them printed. It's so much easier.

As for making sure your printer can get them in the right order, I'm
assuming your pages are numbered. If the printer can't figure that much out,
time to find a new printer. (I know, I'm harsh, but that's their job.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote in message
> When you print a booklet take care in how the sheets of paper are stacked
> ensure they result in sequential order.
>
> If you plan to staple the booklets, you will need a "long arm" stapler.
>
> Note to JoAnne: I publish less than 6 booklets (many copies) but they get
> updated often.
>

> --
> Don
> --------
> Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in
the
> Americas!
>

> "John Steiger" <jsteiger@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > It is a project my wife is working on for a family reunion.  We are
going
> to print about 75 copies.  I may end up taking the print job to the local
> kinkos to printed.  I just wanted to make that it is possible to create
the
> project and be able to tell the printer to print the pages in the proper
> sequence.  I know that I will have to the run the paper throgh twice if I
> print it myself(I am not looking forward to printing it myself, but you
> know, anything for the spouse).  I hoping to be able to have someone else
> print the project depending on the cost.
> > John

---

jl_amerson (3088)
5/23/2004 8:56:07 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from JL
Paules <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com>!"...
> I can see if you only a few copies (definitely under 10 copies) but
> anything more than that, get them printed. It's so much easier.

I wouldn't be so sure.
If you turned off copy collation, then you could just provide X sheets of
paper, select File > Print > X copies, and go off and do something while
printed page 1, then turn stack over, and add another X sheets underneath
the stack, tell printer to continue, repeat until done.
The only tedious bit is then collating all the copies, but it's not
difficult.
The only technically difficult bit is finding a long-armed stapler.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/23/2004 9:01:39 PM
I guess I see things a tad bit differently because I do most of my printing
for the organization. If I'm doing things for my local chapter, I hand them
the bill. If it's for the region, they get the bill.

I do so little for myself that the little bit of printing I do doesn't make
a difference. ALTHOUGH I did just print off some business cards. I'm
donating a crystal bracelet I made to be auctioned off. I'm hoping that I
can pick up a few commissioned works from them. Keep your fingers crossed
for me. (I can't cross my own - I'd never be able to make the bracelets if I
do.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from JL
> Paules <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com>!"...
> > I can see if you only a few copies (definitely under 10 copies) but
> > anything more than that, get them printed. It's so much easier.
>
> I wouldn't be so sure.
> If you turned off copy collation, then you could just provide X sheets of
> paper, select File > Print > X copies, and go off and do something while
> printed page 1, then turn stack over, and add another X sheets underneath
> the stack, tell printer to continue, repeat until done.
> The only tedious bit is then collating all the copies, but it's not
> difficult.
> The only technically difficult bit is finding a long-armed stapler.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

---

jl_amerson (3088)
5/23/2004 9:24:05 PM
Thanks for all the help.  I called Kinko's and they want 400 buck to print the booklet.  I will have to talk to wife about re-thinking how we are preparing the project.  Again, Thanks for the help.  John
0
jsteiger (7)
5/23/2004 9:51:02 PM
MY HEAVENS!!! What are you getting done that they want $400 for 75 booklets?
I get a newsletter printed for a little over half of that. I get 255 copies,
black and white, double-sided on 11x17, saddle-stitched, folded and tabbed.

--

> Thanks for all the help.  I called Kinko's and they want 400 buck to print
the booklet.  I will have to talk to wife about re-thinking how we are
preparing the project.  Again, Thanks for the help.  John

---

jl_amerson (3088)
5/23/2004 9:57:20 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from JL
Paules <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com>!"...
> MY HEAVENS!!! What are you getting done that they want $400 for 75
> booklets? I get a newsletter printed for a little over half of that.
> I get 255 copies, black and white, double-sided on 11x17,
> saddle-stitched, folded and tabbed.

He probably wants colour

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/23/2004 10:05:32 PM
No color, that was for b&w.  They said that it was 2000 copies and that was the price I was qouted.  I just need to shop around a little and I bet I can find a better price.  Kinko's was the first place I tried.  John
0
jsteiger (7)
5/23/2004 10:21:02 PM
no...my wife wants color!
0
jsteiger (7)
5/23/2004 10:21:05 PM
JoAnn,

The way I read it was, the booklet is 50 or 60 pages and he (his wife) needs
2000 booklets.

That's 15 sheets of paper per booklet, times 2000 booklets for $400.

It comes out to be 1.3333333� per page.  I charge my lodge 5� per page.
(and I lose money on every sheet, but make it up in the volume).  <G>

--
Don
--------

"JL Paules" <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> MY HEAVENS!!! What are you getting done that they want $400 for 75
booklets?
> I get a newsletter printed for a little over half of that. I get 255
copies,
> black and white, double-sided on 11x17, saddle-stitched, folded and
tabbed.

> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "John Steiger" <jsteiger@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all the help.  I called Kinko's and they want 400 buck to
print
> the booklet.  I will have to talk to wife about re-thinking how we are
> preparing the project.  Again, Thanks for the help.  John
>

> ---

Engineer1 (288)
5/23/2004 11:23:34 PM
Don,
Don Schmidt wrote:

> The way I read it was, the booklet is 50 or 60 pages and he (his wife) needs
> 2000 booklets.

Could be, but he typed: "We are going to print about 75 copies."

> That's 15 sheets of paper per booklet, times 2000 booklets for $400.

Or, if you believe him, 15 sheets of paper per booklet, times 75
booklets for $400. That's about 17.5� per click, assuming a click for
each side. Not a bad price for color, but given the volume, it doesn't
sound like a great deal.

Mike

> It comes out to be 1.3333333� per page.  I charge my lodge 5� per page.
> (and I lose money on every sheet, but make it up in the volume).  <G>

0
wordwiz (948)
5/24/2004 12:03:30 AM
It is 75 copies.  After getting home and thinking about it, it only about 15 to 20 sheets of paper per booklet. That would still total about 1500 sheets...still alot of printing.  I printed a 8 page sample when I got home using the manual duplex mode and it worked...I would still hate to print 1200 sheets of paper.  John
0
jsteiger (7)
5/24/2004 1:41:02 AM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Mike
Koewler <wordwiz@fuse.net>!"...
> Or, if you believe him, 15 sheets of paper per booklet, times 75
> booklets for $400. That's about 17.5� per click, assuming a click for
> each side. Not a bad price for color, but given the volume, it doesn't
> sound like a great deal.

75 copies of a 15 - 20 sheet booklet in colour for $400 is a damn good deal
compared to the printing prices over here.
Like everything else, colour printing in the UK is twice/three times as much
as it is in the US (Maybe it's the addition of the U in colour)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/24/2004 7:16:05 AM
<chuckle!>

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

(snip)

> Like everything else, colour printing in the UK is twice/three times as
much
> as it is in the US (Maybe it's the addition of the U in colour)
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

---

jl_amerson (3088)
5/24/2004 11:35:28 AM
....plus stitching, folding, and a pretty trim on the face edge so the sheets
dont stick out. seems like alot but it isnt far out of line with what I
would charge. there are alot of hidden steps there and even if it was all
automated, the equipment to do all that is very expensive

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

> It is 75 copies.  After getting home and thinking about it, it only about
15 to 20 sheets of paper per booklet. That would still total about 1500
sheets...still alot of printing.  I printed a 8 page sample when I got home
using the manual duplex mode and it worked...I would still hate to print
1200 sheets of paper.  John

0
Budget
5/24/2004 2:42:14 PM
Has anyone tried sewing the pages together?  My friend did that and it
worked out well.

Betty

"John Steiger" <jsteiger@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> It is a project my wife is working on for a family reunion.  We are going
to print about 75 copies.  I may end up taking the print job to the local
kinkos to printed.  I just wanted to make that it is possible to create the
project and be able to tell the printer to print the pages in the proper
sequence.  I know that I will have to the run the paper throgh twice if I
print it myself(I am not looking forward to printing it myself, but you
know, anything for the spouse).  I hoping to be able to have someone else
print the project depending on the cost.
> John

Hi John Steiger (jsteiger@houston.rr.com),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| It is 75 copies.  After getting home and thinking about it, it only
|| about 15 to 20 sheets of paper per booklet. That would still total
|| about 1500 sheets...still alot of printing.  I printed a 8 page
|| sample when I got home using the manual duplex mode and it
|| worked...I would still hate to print 1200 sheets of paper.  John

John, check with your local "The UPS Store" if you have one, and see if they
offer a competitive printing price as well.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
5/24/2004 8:21:50 PM
I have a similar problem. I do not want it printed
on both sides of the 8 1 1/2 X 11 paper - only on one
side. But, I'd like it to print out in such a way that the
printer can go from one sided to two sided. In other
words, I will print two pages. On one page I will have the
front and back covers. On the other page I will have the
1st and 2nd pages.

Now, take that to 100 pages.... 1st page = front & back
covers. 2nd = 1st and 100th, 3rd = 3rd and 99th, 4th = 4th
and 98 pages.

Is this making sense? The publisher has asked me to
convert my pages to pdf and they'll take it from there.
Does this make sense?
0
anonymous (74725)
5/29/2004 9:20:48 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Ned
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> I have a similar problem. I do not want it printed
> on both sides of the 8 1 1/2 X 11 paper - only on one
> side. But, I'd like it to print out in such a way that the
> printer can go from one sided to two sided.

You can't print a two-sided PDF :-)

Just set up your publication as a booklet, and print to PDF.  It will print
single-sided, and the printer will be able to duplex it for you.  As simple
as it could be :-)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/29/2004 9:25:57 PM
Ned,

I would ask the printer what he wants - multi-page pdf, single page pdf,
printer spread pdf. It's possible he could want single pages that he
will impose, or the first and last pages as one pdf, second and
penultimate pages, etc.

I'm not a printer but I know as a designer nothing is more important
than knowing what your printer wants BEFORE you start on a project. I
can and usually does save you a bunch of time, grief and money.

Mike

Ned wrote:
> I have a similar problem. I do not want it printed
> on both sides of the 8 1 1/2 X 11 paper - only on one
> side. But, I'd like it to print out in such a way that the
> printer can go from one sided to two sided. In other
> words, I will print two pages. On one page I will have the
> front and back covers. On the other page I will have the
> 1st and 2nd pages.
>
> Now, take that to 100 pages.... 1st page = front & back
> covers. 2nd = 1st and 100th, 3rd = 3rd and 99th, 4th = 4th
> and 98 pages.
>
> Is this making sense? The publisher has asked me to
> convert my pages to pdf and they'll take it from there.
> Does this make sense?

0
wordwiz (948)
5/29/2004 9:59:09 PM
Are you saying you want the cover sheet to be only printed on the front and
it's back side blank and also the back cover blank on both sides but then
all the pages within the booklet carry print and page numbers?

If so, make the actual page one (the cover) with print, page 2 (back side of
front cover a blank page and the back cover blank on both sides.

Now create the pages within the booklet, change the start page from 3 to 1.

--
Don
--------

"Ned" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a similar problem. I do not want it printed
> on both sides of the 8 1 1/2 X 11 paper - only on one
> side. But, I'd like it to print out in such a way that the
> printer can go from one sided to two sided. In other
> words, I will print two pages. On one page I will have the
> front and back covers. On the other page I will have the
> 1st and 2nd pages.
>
> Now, take that to 100 pages.... 1st page = front & back
> covers. 2nd = 1st and 100th, 3rd = 3rd and 99th, 4th = 4th
> and 98 pages.
>
> Is this making sense? The publisher has asked me to
> convert my pages to pdf and they'll take it from there.
> Does this make sense?

0
Engineer1 (288)
5/30/2004 1:08:05 AM
ClickBook does this - and dozens of other tasks -
it may be worth getting the trial copy.
==============================

On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:20:48 -0700, "Ned"

>I have a similar problem. I do not want it printed
>on both sides of the 8 1 1/2 X 11 paper - only on one
>side. But, I'd like it to print out in such a way that the
>printer can go from one sided to two sided. In other
>words, I will print two pages. On one page I will have the
>front and back covers. On the other page I will have the
>1st and 2nd pages.
>
>Now, take that to 100 pages.... 1st page = front & back
>covers. 2nd = 1st and 100th, 3rd = 3rd and 99th, 4th = 4th
>and 98 pages.
>
>Is this making sense? The publisher has asked me to
>convert my pages to pdf and they'll take it from there.
>Does this make sense?

0
non_such (35)

printing copies

Ghosted print and print preview

Print Dynamic Range

TCP/IP printing

Printing booklet

Check printing in GP 7.0

CHtmlView and Printing

"Tiled" print setting.

Problems with printing

Printing--How not to Print Bkground

Printing in Vista

How do you customize the 'Print View'?

Printing problem

Print a report without displaying print preview
Hi, Please can someone tell me in a really basic way how can I print a report WITHOUT it also previewing. I'm using 2007 I have several forms which have a print button ( created with the command button wizard, report operations, print report, then relevant report is chosen to print). This works great, and prints the relevant report for the the associated record, however when you click the print button it also displays the print preview and doesn't close it again. This means that until the preview is closed the same thing keeps printing when the button is clicked....

Currency to Print
Is there a way to set up the defaut "Currency To Print:" to Originating when printe the Invoice from the Sales Batch ID. There is no problem to print the Invoice from Sales transaction Entry, because the default Currency was set using Originating. Thanks, Kevin, Yes. When you select the Print icon in Sales Batch, print options window will open where you specify Originating in Print currency in Dropdown. This should work the same way as printing invoice from sales transaction entry -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Kevin Zhou" wro...

Printing clips the side of the document words
Hello, I've just installed all the updates for Windows XP that were required and others also and have Office 2003 with Outlook 2003. I've tried to print an email message and the words in the narrative are clipped on the right and left margins. The "TO" "FROM" "SUBJECT" and all the other header information is aligned correctly and the problem is only with the main text portion. When I print regular WORD documents, I don't have this problem and my printer can print directly to the edge of the paper (Laser). The formatting is coming from Outlook a...

Printing
Hi, I have a custom list control (base class is not CListCtrl but simply CWnd). I need to implement printing. I once created a whole printing function for a standard CListCtrl, by making complete custom drawing routines to take data out of the list control and draw it onto a printer DC. However, I have seen how "Custom Grid Control" and other controls can somehow simply map the screen (including icons and everything) onto the printer.. it's not simply a screen print obviously, because it adapts to the printer resolution, but I do wonder if there isn't just a standard print...

Slowing Printing with Publisher & Merged Database
I am doing a newsletter that prints out customers addresses by pulling them off an Excel spreadsheet. I have about 1200 records in the spreadsheet. As the printer runs, it prints out each newsletter with one customers address and then moves down to the next record. The problem I am having is that it takes an extremely and I mean extremely long time to print. 10 copies takes about 15 to 20 minutes. My Publisher file is about seven megabytes. I am using Publisher 2003 and Windows XP Pro SP2 printing to a Xerox 3535 creo Spire. The Spire shows the file as being 900 MB for each 100...

Printing on banner paper
Hi, I have an HP1220C printer, and am running Publisher 2000 on Windows 98. I would like to print on HP banner paper, but even when I set the paper type to banner, it breaks across the page with spaces between the letters. Can you help me? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Peter <Peter@ascboston.org>... > I have an HP1220C printer, and am running Publisher 2000 > on Windows 98. I would like to print on HP banner paper, > but even when I set the paper type to banner, it breaks > across the page with spaces between the letters. ...

Macro to print document in Duplex format
I am trying to write a macro in a template (.dot) file to be used on 2000 documents based on it. The macro has code to print duplex. The code is give below. I get error 'Unable to set shared printer settings' while trying to assign printersettings. Isnt it the same like changing the Duplex setting in the print->printing preferances? Please advice. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Option Explicit Public Type PRINTER_DEFAULTS pDatatype As Long pDevmode As Long DesiredAccess As Long End Type ...

Printing 11" by 8.5"
How do we setup the page so it will print vertically11" by 8.5? I just want the text wide and bigger but the defautl print setting which is 8.5 by 11 is not big enough. Thank you. Raymond - In Page Setup, try the Landscape orientation. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Raymond wrote: > How do we setup the page so it will print vertically11" by 8.5? I just want > the text wide and bigger but the defautl print setting which is 8.5 by 11 is > not big enough. > &g...

with not print bold print
I have a worksheet that I have been using for monthly reports. Every thing was fine last month but today when I went to enter my data I could view my date when I zoom 100% all I got was a blank screen. I went to print and it printed fine except for any thing that was in bold print didnt print. The worksheet is saved on a floppy I tried to open it on a different computer I could do every thing with no problem. So I uninstalled and reinstalled office 2000 now when I go to open up Excel its blank... you can not see any cells its all gray. Hi Pam NEVER open an Excel file from a Flop...

In excel the gridlines wont print on spreadsheets?
I can't get the gridlines to print in my spreadsheets. File/Page Setup/Sheet tab/ then tick the 'Gridlines' box in the Print area "debby" <debby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:458182DE-26B0-4F26-BA28-DC16A041550B@microsoft.com... >I can't get the gridlines to print in my spreadsheets. debby In File>Page Setup>Sheet do you have "Gridlines" checked? Do so. Also, if "Draft Quality" is checked you will not print gridlines. Uncheck it. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:09:14 -0800, "debby&quo...