Postcard Mail Merge - 4 per page difficulties

I am trying to merge 50 records onto the postcards I have created (4 to a
page/landscape)  When I print them, they all merge, but you get four of the
exact same address per page.  How do I have one address on each postcard
instead of 4 of each address. I'm going crazy!  I read over past questions
and it is not just a glitch in print preview, it actually does print 4.  I
just did it!  Can I change a setting somewhere to fix this?

I also tried creating my own four per page design with my own merge boxes,
but I can not find a way to add the <<next record>> field you need to get it
to go to the next box.  It prints four of the same per page there as well!

HELP.  I hope someone know the answer to this

0
Mom532 (25)

OK - I just spent 45 minutes reading through all the old posts and trying
different things.  Finally, I went to WORD and made the back of the postcards
using an Avery Label and now I will print the fronts in Publisher by just
turning the paper over for the printer.  This whole thing is insane.
Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in future versions of Publisher.  It would
be sweet if it worked well by merging 4 records on one page or by allowing
you to insert your own "next field" merge code.  (Word Perfect lets you do
that.)

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions through past entries!

"office mom" wrote:

> I am trying to merge 50 records onto the postcards I have created (4 to a
> page/landscape)  When I print them, they all merge, but you get four of the
> exact same address per page.  How do I have one address on each postcard
> instead of 4 of each address. I'm going crazy!  I read over past questions
> and it is not just a glitch in print preview, it actually does print 4.  I
> just did it!  Can I change a setting somewhere to fix this?
>
> I also tried creating my own four per page design with my own merge boxes,
> but I can not find a way to add the <<next record>> field you need to get it
> to go to the next box.  It prints four of the same per page there as well!
>
> HELP.  I hope someone know the answer to this

0
officemom (1)
5/3/2009 5:57:01 PM
office mom wrote:
> OK - I just spent 45 minutes reading through all the old posts and trying
> different things.  Finally, I went to WORD and made the back of the postcards
> using an Avery Label and now I will print the fronts in Publisher by just
> turning the paper over for the printer.  This whole thing is insane.
> Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in future versions of Publisher.

This DOES work in all versions of Publisher I've tried it in. You have
to design a SINGLE postcard on screen, and then set the Page Setup such
that it repeats the design across the page. PROVIDED you design it like
this, then the Print Preview showing the same details is a bug (it reads
the first record and puts it everywhere just to give an idea of the
design), and the printout should be fine.

Where problems arise is when you try to design a single sheet of cards
at once. This is obviously doomed to failure since there is no sensible
way of telling Publisher where to switch records.

> by allowing
> you to insert your own "next field" merge code.  (Word Perfect lets you do
> that.)

I always puzzle when people ask where this is in Publisher, or suggest
it be added. How on Earth would it be done?! It makes perfect sense in a
  linear text-oriented application - once the <<Next Record>> is hit,
the current record is incremented. However, in a frame-oriented
application like Publisher, which field codes would come before and after?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

"office mom" wrote:

> I am trying to merge 50 records onto the postcards I have created (4 to a
> page/landscape)  When I print them, they all merge, but you get four of the
> exact same address per page.  How do I have one address on each postcard
> instead of 4 of each address. I'm going crazy!  I read over past questions
> and it is not just a glitch in print preview, it actually does print 4.  I
> just did it!  Can I change a setting somewhere to fix this?
>
> I also tried creating my own four per page design with my own merge boxes,
> but I can not find a way to add the <<next record>> field you need to get it
> to go to the next box.  It prints four of the same per page there as well!
>
> HELP.  I hope someone know the answer to this

It works, but, boy, did I get a work out on this issue!

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> office mom wrote:
> > OK - I just spent 45 minutes reading through all the old posts and trying
> > different things.  Finally, I went to WORD and made the back of the postcards
> > using an Avery Label and now I will print the fronts in Publisher by just
> > turning the paper over for the printer.  This whole thing is insane.
> > Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in future versions of Publisher.
>
> This DOES work in all versions of Publisher I've tried it in. You have
> to design a SINGLE postcard on screen, and then set the Page Setup such
> that it repeats the design across the page. PROVIDED you design it like
> this, then the Print Preview showing the same details is a bug (it reads
> the first record and puts it everywhere just to give an idea of the
> design), and the printout should be fine.
>
> Where problems arise is when you try to design a single sheet of cards
> at once. This is obviously doomed to failure since there is no sensible
> way of telling Publisher where to switch records.
>
> > by allowing
> > you to insert your own "next field" merge code.  (Word Perfect lets you do
> > that.)
>
> I always puzzle when people ask where this is in Publisher, or suggest
> it be added. How on Earth would it be done?! It makes perfect sense in a
>   linear text-oriented application - once the <<Next Record>> is hit,
> the current record is incremented. However, in a frame-oriented
> application like Publisher, which field codes would come before and after?
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Banana (10)
10/1/2009 3:16:01 AM
Glad I could be of help, I know since I also spent hours trying to get it
right...but the client responses I get make it worthwhile!

"Patana Banana" wrote:

> It works, but, boy, did I get a work out on this issue!
>
> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
> > office mom wrote:
> > > OK - I just spent 45 minutes reading through all the old posts and trying
> > > different things.  Finally, I went to WORD and made the back of the postcards
> > > using an Avery Label and now I will print the fronts in Publisher by just
> > > turning the paper over for the printer.  This whole thing is insane.
> > > Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in future versions of Publisher.
> >
> > This DOES work in all versions of Publisher I've tried it in. You have
> > to design a SINGLE postcard on screen, and then set the Page Setup such
> > that it repeats the design across the page. PROVIDED you design it like
> > this, then the Print Preview showing the same details is a bug (it reads
> > the first record and puts it everywhere just to give an idea of the
> > design), and the printout should be fine.
> >
> > Where problems arise is when you try to design a single sheet of cards
> > at once. This is obviously doomed to failure since there is no sensible
> > way of telling Publisher where to switch records.
> >
> > > by allowing
> > > you to insert your own "next field" merge code.  (Word Perfect lets you do
> > > that.)
> >
> > I always puzzle when people ask where this is in Publisher, or suggest
> > it be added. How on Earth would it be done?! It makes perfect sense in a
> >   linear text-oriented application - once the <<Next Record>> is hit,
> > the current record is incremented. However, in a frame-oriented
> > application like Publisher, which field codes would come before and after?
> >
> > --
> > Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> > http://ed.mvps.org

copying page setup to worksheets
I go through and do the page setup work to get my worksheet to print how I want. I want to insert a new worksheet into the workbook, but I would like to copy the page setup information to the new worksheet.. Does anyone know if that is possible? And if so, How? t, One possibility is to copy an existing sheet, and clear the existing data. A macro is great for this to automate it. You may have headings, formulas and formatting, etc, that will be the same anyway (I'm guessing, since you want to use the same page setup settings). -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon per...

backing up windows mail to flash drive
when exporting to flash drive I am getting an error message saying the directory I am exporting to needs to be empty. I am using a new flash drive; what does the error mean?? You don't backup Windows Mail by exporting. http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Sunny" <Sunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDDB8000-5D86-4082-8334-1F9DB0CA7138@microsoft.com... > when exporting to flash drive I am getting an error message saying the > directory I am exporting to n...

How Does the CRM E-mail Router Work?
All, Does anyone know how the CRM E-mail Router really works? How does it determine which one to route to CRM and which ones to discard? Some of the e-mails are not getting routed, and we discover that if the queue e-mail address is not in the e-mail header, it doesn't get routed. Any insight is appreciated. Jimmy, The CRM-Exchange E-mail router is a software component that provides an interface between CRM and Exchange. E-mail comes into the CRM system through this router which is installed on the computer running Exchange. The following text is from the Implementation Gu...

Changing page print order
Hi, I have a multipage document that prints to PDF for print (using pdffactory and/or Adobe Distiller). It prints pages 1 & 16, 2 & 15, 3 & 14 etc. But now I want the same document as a downloadable PDF for offline viewing, so I need it to print in page order, eg. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 .. 16. How can I do this? Thanks, Paul. paul1664@hotmail.com wrote: > I have a multipage document that prints to PDF for print (using > pdffactory and/or Adobe Distiller). It prints pages 1 & 16, 2 & 15, 3 & > 14 etc. > > But now I want the same document as a downloadable PD...

Cannot Send Mail
I'm receiving a "Problem With Shortcut" error message. It reads: "Cannot send mail. No mail program is set up to send mail using Internet shortcuts." I'm currently running Outlook Express version 6.0. I must be missing a setting somewhere, but where? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://...

Why is log on required for Windows Live Mail in an Windows 7 OS?
I have recently installed Windows 7. Following the installation, I never had to log on to read Windows Live Mail. Now I must log on. I do not know what changed or why. I do not want to have to log on to read my email. Please advise what occur for this change to be made. Thank you - -- Brian If you used Easy Transfer to migrate from old to new PC, passwords are not transferred, by design. You must edit your settings to correct this. "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D3A5239-1154-40DF-A473-E8FA9FE61987@microsoft.com... &g...

Merging OneNote containers.
This is a hit & and miss task for me (holding down either the Ctrl or Shift key whist dragging to another container). Will anybody please give me some tips. The Version has me beaten - it has come with a new Acer laptop that was purchase in December '09 so I assume it be the latest version! I can see something about a 2007 trial. MH Harding wrote: > This is a hit & and miss task for me (holding down either the Ctrl or > Shift key whist dragging to another container). Hold the Shift key pressed whilst dragging the container toward the other. When the bord...

sending email from microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
How do I use this email service. I don't understand how it works or what it's used for. You set up email accounts in Tools - Accounts (can have multiple) and then your mail comes to this Windows Mail program for you to read it all in one place rather than having to access multiple web accounts. Do you have a specific issue or error message you need help with (copy / paste please)? Looks like you figured out Newsgroups . . . . . but you should change your email address in that Newsgroup account to a phony one - otherwise the spammers will get you !! "BRE&...

Outlook Today page problem
i have Outlook 2003 on win XP Pro. Every time I try to change the page of Outlook today, it keeps the style I choose like winter, summer and so on. When I change to another window or go to my inbox and come back to the Outlook today page, the system has restored the original style and there are some red X instead of small images. One of the red x's is where Outlook will show you the style on the Customize Outlook today page (like winter, standard etc). What can be the issue? .. ...

downloading one year back mails in mailbox
one user having forwarding e-mail id i.e. abc@yahoo.co.in,now days that user not using yahoo id so that yahooid quota is full.so we remove that forwarding e-mail id of that users as per discussion of the mangement. now problem is last december month mails those user forwared mail to that user that mail downloading now days in mailboxes as a system delivery mail. we tried all option ..... we are waiting for reply urgent.. =?Utf-8?B?UE9QMyBDb25maWd1cmF0aW9uIGluIEZyb250IGVuZC9iYWNrIGVuZA==?= <POP3ConfigurationinFrontendbackend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:F234799F-DC4A-4...

Changing Page Orientation in Excel 2007
Hi, We have Office 2007 SP2 installed on Vista. Recently an issue came up where we cannot change the orientation of the page. This is affecting the Print Preview as well as being able to actually print the document correctly. Landscape is checked in the Page Setup but it views in Portrait and print in Portrait. It was fine, we can't figure out what went wrong or how to redtify the situation. Please help. D Does this happen with every workbook? Try it with a new blank workbook. Enter some stuff, set the orientation, and print. What happens? If it's just one wo...

Synchonize Exchange mail with two clients
My colleague has a mail account on a local Exchange server, and want to make sure all his mail is available both from the computer at work and from his computer at home. Outlook Web Access handles this nicely, but he rather wants to use Microsoft Outlook 2003 (both client computers have this installed with Exchange support included). However, when we try to set this up, the Exchange server seems to only synchronize the mail folders on a first-come-first-serve basis, ie. the first one to synchronize gets the new mail. The Exchange server and Outlook on his home computer are English editions, a...

Default field mappings for mail merges
Is it possible to change the field mappings that CRM auto fills in for mail merges? We are constantly having to re-map some fields as we are using certain fields to reflect other data (eg we use Street 3 as our contacts' company name). I re-map to the correct field, then save the template, but this mapping seems to change back to the default when I initiate the mail merge out of CRM again. ...

cum merge?
cum merge acest mail de pe vista? you should just learn how to use reports; instead of dealing with mail merge. Mail merge has never worked well enough for me; and I swear I started using it in like -LITERALLY- 1982. Thanks -Aaron On Mar 22, 7:14=A0am, "catalin mihai" <catalinmiha...@yahoo.com> wrote: > cum merge acest mail de pe vista? ...

Lead
There are "Email" (emailaddress1) and "Technical E-mail Address" (emailaddress2) on Lead form. When I try to send direct email via "Advanced Find", email will always be sent to "Email". It is sent to "Technical E-mail Address" only if "Email" is empty. Is there a way I can pick which email address to be the default? Please let me know. Thanks, Richard There's no way to do this within CRM. You can try exporting your list of leads with their secondary email addresses to Excel and doing a mail merge in Outlook. -- Matt Wi...

Postcard
Is it possible to only print ONE SIDE on a post card? I only want to print the name & address side (side 2). I have made side 1 "blank", but when I print, the printer still expects to print something on side 1, so I get a blank piece of paper each time. I figured it out....... EDIT > DELETE PAGE >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to only print ONE SIDE on a post card? I >only want to print the name & address side (side 2). I >have made side 1 "blank", but when I print, the printer >still expects to print something on side 1...

Mail Merge 03-12-10
I have a log that has multiple lines with the same individual that I am trying to merge into one page per individual in word, I have to do a more advanced mail merge. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:33:01 -0800, Brooke <Brooke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a...

How do I block mails sent to an alias to which I am a member of.
HI, I ma trying to block emails from an alias temporarily, but I am not able to figureout how. May be I can also save all the mails sent to that alias into a seperate folder. Can you please suggest me how I can do this. Thanks, Sushma "Sushma" <Sushma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DA10E90-3EED-4E82-97D9-543EA09EFAD4@microsoft.com... > HI, > > I ma trying to block emails from an alias temporarily, but I am not able > to > figureout how. May be I can also save all the mails sent to that alias > into a > seperate folder. Can you pl...

Can't master page numbering
I'm trying to number a publication and I'm stumped. I want to start page numbering after the title page/TOC, but when I "insert section" the numbering starts on the left-hand page, not the right-hand as is customary. I'n trying to do a completely normal thing so I know I must be overlooking the obvious. Thanks so much for any help! Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I'm trying to number a publication and I'm stumped. I want to start > page numbering after the title page/TOC, but when I "insert sect...

Having e-mail from an additional domain come in to my existing exchange server
I am running exchange5.5 for windowsNT 4.0. I want to configure a second domain to my existing exchange server so that people can send and receive e-mail from both the domains. Note: I have already pointed the mx record to the second domains Ip address. ...

Cannot click links in mail messages
When clicking onm a link in an email message, nothing happens. It used to work fine but for some reason now does not... Can anyone please help me determine and fix the problem. Thanks in advance. J Solution: Goto Tools | Options | Security | Change Automatic Downloads Settings, then uncheck the first inbox. >-----Original Message----- >Solution: >Goto Tools | Options | Security | Change Automatic Downloads Settings, then uncheck the first inbox. >. > Thanks for the response but.... This is Outlook 2000. There is not any Auto Download Settings on the Security tab.......

e.mail
by mistake i have placed a block on on of my friends e.mails to me,how could i unblock this?? regards suly Did you place your friend into the Junk Senders.TXT file? "suly" <sales@adamsons.net> wrote in message news:09f601c36bfd$e741c150$a001280a@phx.gbl... > by mistake i have placed a block on on of my friends > e.mails to me,how could i unblock this?? regards > suly ...

Mailing list database
I have created a mailing list in word 2007 doing the steps instructed. But when I go to merge the information so that I can make labels I keep getting a message that Word does not know what application created it. Word created it it self why can't it read it's own application? See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Sourceā€ at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally pos...

Mail merging
Hi all I am trying to mail merge from Outlook XP to Word XP... After many failed attempts I exported my records as a .csv file and imported them into Word. Not what I would have expected to have done in Office! I have a subfolder below the main Contacts folder containing my records, but the mail merge wizard didn't offer it as a choice... the only folder visible was the Contacts one... Can anyone say why? Many thanks, Tom. Most certainly not necessary at all. Had you enabled the Contacts Subfolder as an email address book in its Properties? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <tom@anom...

MS Money 2004
Hi all, Everytime I create an invoice with the supplied invoice designer, the new template page layout defaults to landscape (even if I chose a portrait template). How can I change this template to be in portrait format? Thanks! ...