placeholder text in publisher

When making a template in publisher, how do I add placeholder text to the
text box?  I am making templates for my students and want to put placeholder
instruction in the text boxes to help them with the content of the box.

Do you mean a "call out?"

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"hammerheadtoo" <hammerheadtoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When making a template in publisher, how do I add placeholder text to the
> text box?  I am making templates for my students and want to put placeholder
> instruction in the text boxes to help them with the content of the box.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
5/15/2006 5:43:17 PM
In a template it is called a placeholder.  When you click on any part of the
text all of the text is selected, it can not be edited

Hammerheadtoo

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Do you mean a "call out?"
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "hammerheadtoo" <hammerheadtoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When making a template in publisher, how do I add placeholder text to the
> > text box?  I am making templates for my students and want to put placeholder
> > instruction in the text boxes to help them with the content of the box.

That only works with built-in templates in Publisher. You can put a text box on
the background (Master Page). If you don't want the text edited this maybe the
way to go.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> In a template it is called a placeholder.  When you click on any part of the
> text all of the text is selected, it can not be edited
>
> Hammerheadtoo
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean a "call out?"
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "hammerheadtoo" <hammerheadtoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When making a template in publisher, how do I add placeholder text to the
>> > text box?  I am making templates for my students and want to put
>> > placeholder
>> > instruction in the text boxes to help them with the content of the box.

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Sorting Text Column by Most Frequent item
I am trying to process a list of several thousand items ( business names) in Excel (imported from Database.. Is there a quick way to sort the text column so the 'most frequently ocurring items' are grouped together nearest the top of the column and vice-versa I alphabetized the column first, with obvious results... but would like to create a new column showing only 1 ocurrence of each item from the original column, arranged from most common item on list to least common Thanks in advance.. Have you thought about a Pivot table? A good intro:- http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Exce...

How do I create a survey or poll on Publisher?
I need this for an assignment! Plz, can anyone help??? Can't find one for Publisher, but there are Word templates you can adapt. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=survey -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "casia" <casia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65F1B12D-C30E-49BB-BC30-1FDDD2472270@microsoft.com... >I need this for an assignment! Plz, can anyone help??? ...

text #3
I entered text in column A and 5 rows I want to change that information that I entered in A1, A2,A3,etc to go to A1,B1,C1,D1,etc. Can you help Select A1:A5 > Copy Right-click on A2 > Paste special > Check "Transpose" > OK Delete col A -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7A78016-0C2F-48D3-8AC5-C2B7459F03EE@microsoft.com... > I entered text in column A and 5 rows > I want to change that information that I entered in A1, A2,A3,etc > to go to A1,B1,C1,D1...

Text box won't allow text
Trying to create a business flyer and half way through I insert another text box and it will not let me type in the text box. I have already created several text boxes on this document and did not have this problem. Why can't I type in the text box? -- Karen What happens when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Karen Keith - Six L''s Packing" <karen@sixls.com> wrote in message news:DD67D41C-347B-4006-8FEB-F72EE141DAE9@microsoft.com... > Trying to create a business flyer a...

placeholder questionmark (?)
Hi, in the Microsoft CRM search you can use the star (*) as placeholder for several characters. Is there also the possibility to replace ONE character by a placeholder? Like the questionmark? Example: search string: Ma?er results: Maier, Mayer and Maller, Manner etc. should not be found. Thanks ...

Inserting text from a .txt file
I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. Anyway, here is my question: How do I insert the text from a text file into my e-mail document. I am using the rtf editor. thank you, ~alan copy/paste? "~~Alan~~" <alan.shepro_NOSPAM@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23%23AwZrIKEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook > Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. > > Anywa...

Error when printing (only in Publisher)
We get this error when trying to print from Publisher 2002 (xp). " Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printer a document, you need to install a printer. Do you wish to install a printer now? YES or NO." Now the problem is.. we have 6 printers installed. Word/Excel and all the other programs can see them just fine. Even if we click yes, and install another printer we still get the following error next.. "Publisher connat access your Printer's Software. Reinstall your printer drivers." I have tried that too.. Can Anyone help? Tha...

wrapping text around another text box
My problem is this...I have two text boxes. I want to wrap one text box around the other text box but nothing seems to be working. What I want to do with the one to the left is make it into an "L" shape so that the box on the right simply fits in the empty space of the "L" to form basically a square. I have tried turning on all those text wrapping features with both boxes and cannot figure out for the life of me what is happening. I have a box drawn around the box on the right...don't know if that has something to do with it. I have tried removing it and sti...

transfer data from one text box in a form to another
how do i transfer data from one text box located on a form to another text box located on a sub-form on the main form. complicated i know. what vba code do i use. any solutions thank you you need to specify if you want to make the operation after which event in subform. then you need to put something like this: [textboxinsubform] = Forms!FormName![texboxinform].text LD -- Lorenzo Díaz Cad Technician "vss85" wrote: > how do i transfer data from one text box located on a form to another text > box located on a sub-form on the main form. complicated i know. ...

Using text boxes and command buttons to search
hi i am using excel 2000, i have a few columns but the main ones are: Christian Name Surname Employee Number i want to have a text box or combo box at the sheet for each serach, they will only be, Surname and employee number, when i typ in for example bloggs into the surname text box and click the command button "next" i want it to find every entry in the surname column matching the word bloggs, and the same with employee number? but i have no idea how? i have created the text box and button but dont know what to do with them? is this the best way? this is...

how do you reflect text?
how do you mirror text so that it looks like a reflection? WordArt will do that but not regular text. I usually use Photoshop Elements when I want that tho - it give me a higher level of creativity. If this is something for a tee shirt, your printer driver may do what you want without going thru a lot of trouble. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F67EBEC-E894-4827-BD67-8FA79518B1A6@microsoft.com... > how do you mirror text so that it looks like a reflection? ...

Publisher cannot open file
I saved my file yesterday, and when I went to open it today I got a pop up saying Publisher cannot open file. I don't know what's wrong or how to get my file back. I need help ASAP. cara1384 wrote: > I saved my file yesterday, and when I went to open it today I got a > pop up saying Publisher cannot open file. I don't know what's wrong > or how to get my file back. I need help ASAP. =================================== Maybe the following link would be worth a look: Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 "Publisher cannot open this file" Error...

A4 13.97 x 21.59 Booklet printing Publisher 2007
I'm having trouble with margins, on the computer the picture lloks fine, but when i print it out there ia a huge gap on the right side! I've tried altering the margins and the master page but to no avail! help! Affy wrote: > I'm having trouble with margins, on the computer the picture lloks fine, but > when i print it out there ia a huge gap on the right side! I've tried > altering the margins and the master page but to no avail! help! A4 isn't 13.97x21.59 (or 2x that); that sounds like letter-sized paper. A4 is 297x210mm; a half-A4 booklet would be 14.9...

Extracting the numbers from the Text Field
I have a table in which in a text field is having Equipments models and data entry is been not properly entered, the data is as below : 456ZX ZX965 ZX785M ZX956MN 45NM96ZX I need to retrieve only the numeric part like below 456 965 785 956 4596 I tried left, right, mid etc but failed. not sucess. Please advice a solution to pull/extract only the number portions from a text field Regards Irshad On 17 apr, 09:40, Irshad Alam <IrshadA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a table in which in a text field is having Equipments models and data &...

Uppercase text to Proper text
I'm new at this so please excuse me. I have an excel spreadsheet in Office 97. It's all in upper case letters and I need it in upper/lower case letters. Can anyone tell me how I can simply change a column (say column "C") from uppercase text to Proper text? Example: MR & MRS KEN HOAGLAND to Mr & Mrs Ken Hoagland Must I do a formula in code module or is there a simple way to do this? If not, how do I do it any other way? Make a backup copy of your file first and try this on the COPY, don't experiment with the original With the data in column C In D1 (...

drawing lines in publisher
In the old Publisher to draw a pefectly straight line you just held down control and drew, it snapped to either horizontial or vertical depending on what you where creating. How do you do that in 2002? It's the SHIFT key that you hold down, not CTRL. I think it was always that way, but I could be wrong. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:43:08 -0700, wrhl.info <wrhl.info@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In the old Publisher to draw a pefectly straight line you just held down >control and drew, it snapped to either horizontial or vertical depending on >what you where creating. ...

Find text in another workbook and paste if found match
Hi! Please need help. I dont know if it possible but... I have 1 workbook sheet with formulas and values that i want to find and paste in another workbook by run a macro. in the workbook1, select the cell with value that i want to paste to workbook2 if the text that i want to find in the workbook2 its found Example select and copy [workbook1]sheet1!k1 (the cell with the value that i want to paste) activate [workbook2]sheet1!a1 then find the text "article 12 ..." if it found select it and move cursor 2 cells right and then paste te value of [workbook1]sheet1!k1 return to [work...

Text in footer
I have a report with page breaks between departments, and the department name is kept in a text box. I want to add a text box to the page footer that also displays the department name that appears on that page. When I try to use the same control source, the names appear but not in the correct order. For instance, if Dept. A appears over two pages, the name "Dept. A" appears on the first page, but "Dept. B" appears on second page, etc. I also tried to set the control source of the footer text box to equal the value of the department name on the current page. me....

add if populated with some text
Hi all In cell B13 I need it to add 1 to B12 only if C13 is populated with some text or a number. Can this be done? Thank You I think this is what you mean: =IF(TRIM(C13)="some_text",B12+1,0) in B13. You didn't specify what you wanted if C13 does not contain the required text, so I've assumed you want 0, although you might want to change this to B12. Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 14, 10:52 pm, "MrJim005" <jimbea...@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Hi all > > In cell B13 I need it to add 1 to B12 only if C13 is populated with some > text or...

email merge with publisher
I have created a flyer in publisher that I wish to send by email to over 100 recipients. I have personalised each flyer using mail merge. How do I attach each flyer to the email address? -- MiaL Unless you are sure that all of your recipients also have MS Publisher, your effort will be useless. There is no free viewer available. I suggest that you first creat a pdf and attach the pdf. Attach in a Mail Merge? You'll have to wait for someone else to answer that. "MiaL" <MiaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAB3410A-A0A9-46F3-8313-ACC403D269A9@microsof...

text cells end page how split to next. Text lost!
When typing text in a cell and you get to the bottom of the page the text is lost and does not split and go onto next page. Is there a way to do this? Elaine Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow 32,767 characters to be entered in a cell. However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can be printed" To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate spots, about every 200 characters.. The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit. How far is not really k...

Can I convert from Publisher to Powerpoint?
I am having trouble figuring out if it is possible to convert a flyer I made up in Publisher and insert it into my Powerpoint presentation. You can try to do a copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Renee" <Renee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75C511B4-FDB4-4800-AD06-91CF9FBE9C7F@microsoft.com... >I am having trouble figuring out if it is possible to convert a flyer I >made > up in Publisher and insert it into my Powerpoint presentation. Thanks JoAnn, I...

Resampling in Publisher 2003
Can I resample a photo in Publisher 2003? You can try. There are are tools that will change the contrast and brightness. You can resize and crop. To truly resample you need to use a photo editing application. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0ABD52C-B960-4295-AC0B-DF7303E99CF0@microsoft.com... > Can I resample a photo in Publisher 2003? ...

Enlarging text
Does anyone know if there is a setting that makes the text enlarge with every reply to a message? Everytime I get a message back and ten reply the text below gets larger. I have emails with text in 100pt font. how can I change this? ...

Digital photos too large in publisher document.
I am trying to make a powerpoint presentation of new members joining our church in 2008. I desire to have one picture per slide. The size of the photo is too large and it locks up my computer to the point that I cannot prepare this presentation. Approximately 60 photos. I need to know how to reduce the size of these photos in a publisher document, if possible. Thank you "ChurchSecretary" <ChurchSecretary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6990EE78-EB67-495A-BD09-E40EC9121124@microsoft.com... > I am trying to make a powerpoint presentation of new member...