Misplaced hyphens

I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated
terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first
word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the
next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to
make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated
term?

Thanks ...
0
Micky2 (2)

I don't think you can control this, a lot depends how much space is needed to
complete the hyphenated words. If you come to the end of a line and only self-
fits, service will have to be on the next line. Do a soft return (shift+enter).
You could adjust the character spacing.

This occurred in 2003 too.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Micky2" <Micky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated
> terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first
> word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the
> next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to
> make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated
> term?
>
> Thanks ...

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/8/2007 11:08:36 AM
Thanks, but the problem is not that the second word goes onto the next line;
it's that the hyphen goes with it. (In the case of self-service, self is on
one line and -service is on the next.) The hyphen should be at the end of the
first line, not the beginning of the next.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I don't think you can control this, a lot depends how much space is needed to
> complete the hyphenated words. If you come to the end of a line and only self-
> fits, service will have to be on the next line. Do a soft return (shift+enter).
> You could adjust the character spacing.
>
> This occurred in 2003 too.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Micky2" <Micky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated
> > terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first
> > word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the
> > next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to
> > make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated
> > term?
> >
> > Thanks ...

0
Micky2 (2)

misplaced .PST and .PAB files
hi all: we are running XP and Outlook 2002... I opened my Outlook and my emails and address book is gone. I have located my personal file and address book and these files are not where they are suppose to be located. For instance, my PST file is in "My Documents". Can anybody tell me the path that I need to re-place these files (if it is as simple as that... i.e.- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator....) Thanks in advance for any assistance !! Sincerely, RossJ Just leave the file where it is, then use File->Open->Personal Folders file and navigate to the locati...

Hyphen
How do I keep publisher from hyphenating words at the end of each line, how do I get publisher to just drop the word to the next line? Wendy Colleen wrote: > How do I keep publisher from hyphenating words at the end of each > line, how do I get publisher to just drop the word to the next line? ========================== Ty the following... Tools / Options / Edit tab / Hyphenation... uncheck..."Automatically hyphenate in new text boxes" / OK. -- ******John Inzer******** **MS Picture It! MVP** *****Digital Image****** Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp *********...

Spelling and hyphenation
I'm new to Publisher. I wonder why Publisher can't find the spelling and hyphenation files in the programs\shared files\Microsoft shared\Proof-folder, when my Word works fine with these files. My Office (and Publisher) is Office2000, but I have updated both to Office2000 SR-1 and Office2000 SP3. See if your .lex files are the correct ones. Have you tried a detect and repair found under help? Do you have some programs of a newer version of Office installed? List of files that are installed by Publisher 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235383/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ht...

Misplaced hyphens
I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated term? Thanks ... I don't think you can control this, a lot depends how much space is needed to complete the hyphenated words. If you come to the end of a line and only self- fits, service will have to be o...

misplaced emails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I recently moved my entourage settings over to a laptop and the rules got bungled up. some of the emails seemed to end up in the contacts folder and calendar folder. (At least there are bold numbers in parentheses to the right of them. I've fixed the rules but how do I get them out, and into a folder that I can see? "RogerCoupal@officeformac.com" wrote: > I recently moved my entourage settings over to a laptop and the rules got > bungled up. some of the emails seemed to end up in the contacts folder...

Hyphenation in text box
Publisher 2007 on Windows XP. When creating Web Page, text boxes do not hyphenate. 1 Tools>Language sub-menu does not show auto/hyphenation command. 2 Format>Text Box dialogue box shows "Hyphenation" checked and hyphenation zone of 1.5 picas, but command is grayed out and cannot be unchecked or zone value changed. 3 Manual hyphens show, but any change in wrapping leaves them in (the wrong) place. 4 Optional hyphens don't work: appear as spaces in Web Page preview Why is hyphenation grayed out and how can I restore? How can I auto hypenate text in Publisher text box...

Outlook 2003 Install, Addins misplaced
After some installation problems only one minor error remain: There are 4 Addin folders, only 2 addins are shown in Outlook. The original error was syntax error in ldpub.ecf. Administrator/Application Data/Microsoft (Empty) User/Application Data/Microsoft (Empty) C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office (23 files *.ecf & *.dll) C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office11 (10 files) C:/Winnnt (1 file) Is it that I may just move the 10 files to correct position (which is?) OS: WIN2000, Office 2003 Professionel Thanking for any advice -- perian ...

HELP!!! Deleting "misplaced" files inside System Volume Information Folder (in external HDD)
Guys, The title pretty much says what I am having trouble with. I am not technically gifted that's why if you guys could help me out, I'd really really appreciate it. Here's the problem, I accidentally dragged a huge amount of file inside the System Volume Information of my external hdd. I tried the old posts somewhat addressing the similar problem (even went to the extent of installing windirstat) just to try and delete the unnecessary files but I still couldn't remove it from the folder. I am using Vista if this would help. Also, if its best that I delete the S...

sort cells with hyphen #####-###-#### #2
How do you sort a column of numbers with hyphens? Example #####-###-####. I want to sort by the 3 middle numbers Thanks You can extract the 3 middle characters to a new column and then sort on that new column. =MID(A1,7,3) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA "bagman" wrote: > How do you sort a column of numbers with hyphens? > Example #####-###-####. > I want to sort by the 3 middle numbers > Thanks Put the middle numbers into a separate column and sort by that. This formula will get you those values =LEFT(MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99),FIND("-",MID(A1,FIND(&q...

Cursor misplacing during typing
I have face problem in typing in Word by remaining the cursor at the beginning of the line and typed letters misplace. I'll appreciate if any one can help me to solve this problem. Try reducing the sensitivity of the touch pad mouse thing, or disable it and use an external mouse. You are probably inadvertently brushing across the pad and it is that action that is moving the cursor. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsof...

Misplaced View and FIle Button on Menu Bar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar. I have looked at some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, it produces one of 2 contextual menus, one of which contains a Reset Toolbar command. Th...

Deleting characters after a hyphen
I have an excel sheet with a column of about 50 products (get this exce sheet weekly). What I need to do is they have keys in the column like - c4500-fds5 - cdfa4500-94kp - c234500-94d - eee4500-o430 - czzz4500-ei5 I need to delete everything (batch wise if I can) so it deletes th hypen and all the characters after it so it shows - c4500 - cdfa4500 - c234500 - eee4500 - czzz4500 anyway to do this in excel -- TheIO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- TheIOU's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3410...

Misplacement of objects on a sheet
In Excel 2007 when loading a workbook (originally created in Excel 2000), objects like text boxes, rectangles, etc will frequently be placed on the sheet in the wrong place. I have posted an example at http://65.243.151.82. Notice in the "Correct" screenshot the row of buttons. You can click any of the buttons (which correspond to sheet names) and go to that worksheet. The current active worksheet ("WA" in the example) is indicated by the red background text box filling the space of the button (and circled in the example). In the "Incorrect" example, notic...

Automatic Hyphenation Does Not Work
The automatic hyphenation feature of Word2003 works for native Word2003 documents and templates. However, it does not work for documents and templates that were originally created in Word97 but later saved as Word2003. Is there some way to fix this problem? Hello Martin Martin wrote: > The automatic hyphenation feature of Word2003 works for native Word2003 > documents and templates. However, it does not work for documents and > templates that were originally created in Word97 but later saved as Word2003. > Is there some way to fix this problem? most probably, t...

Stubborn Misplaced File
Recently I attempted to backup my Outlook Express using the Windows NT Backup Utility and when I tried to restore the files to the new directory they did not properly restore to the correct location and when I try to delete the misplaced folder it will not allow me to, it gives the following message: X Cannot delete Outlook Express: The file name you specified is not valid or to long. Specify a different file name. It is located in the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-45...

Remove Hyphens from a number
I have numbers in a coulmn that look like this: 01-012-4123 how do I remove only the hyphens (dashes) Select your range and Edit|Replace What: - (hyphen) with: (leave blank) You may want to format those cells (custom: 000000000) to keep the leading 0's. Mike wrote: > > I have numbers in a coulmn that look like this: > > 01-012-4123 how do I remove only the hyphens (dashes) -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Add a column with something like this in . =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","") Robin Hammond www.enhanceddatasystems.com "Mike" <anonymous...

CRM 1.2: Custom Field with hyphen in name averts default value settings
unfortunately we have customized a lookup-field in crm whose name includes a hyphen months ago. Now this seems to be the reason why it is not possible to change the default value of this lookup. Any experiences with special characters in field names? What can I do now? Is there another reason for my problem with the default values? Any hotfixes? It's a pitty that CRM didn't prohibit the usage of the hyphen on creation of the field, but now months later this error is hard to correct! Had a similar problem with Crystal Reports as well, where a special character in the fieldname averts...

Removing text between hyphens and removing the hyphens
I am a bit new with regards to excel but If have a column of data that has values in this format (note the placement of the hyphens) 9999- RR - AAAAAAAAAA The length of 9's are constant at 4 The length of A's can change between cells I would like to remove the R's and hypens to have this: 9999 AAAAAAAAAAA Any suggestions? Thanks for your help Select the range to fix Edit|Replace what: -bRRb- (b represents the space character with: (leave blank) replace all sonofroy wrote: > > I am a bit new with regards to excel but If have a column...

what is hyphenation?
what exactly does hyphenation mean?and where does it help in our document? See the Wikipedia article on Hyphenation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "ayesha anwar" <ayesha anwar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:935F906E-6D1E-4663-A013-918856043294@microsoft.com... > what exactly does hyphenation mean?and where does it help in our document? It means you should look in a help file or www.google.com "ayesha anwar" <ayesha anwar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:935F906E-6...

Hyphenation
When I click on Tools Hyphenation I receive a message that tells me that the hyphenator is not installed do i wish to install it. If i click Yes I am told that it cannot be installed. If I click No then I get the normal hyphenation window that allows me to turn hyphenation on or off. How do i get rid of the message that tells me hyphenation needs to be installed? Try detect and repair in the help menu. What version Publisher? Do you have all the service packs? What happens when you turn on/off hyphenation in Tools, options, edit tab? Does the spell check work okay? -- Mary Sauer M...

Hyphenating
Is there a way to turn off hypehating throughout the whole document and save it that way, so when it is opened on other computers it continues to stay off? If you have unchecked hyphenation in the options menu, hyphenation will be off when a publication is opened. Tools, Options, Edit tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sophie" <sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E9FD174-AEC7-4541-90C8-64952EC2F954@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to turn off hypehating throughout the whol...

Does XL2K have "hard hyphens" (non-break hyphens)?
What I mean are those hyphens that don't break to the next row as regular hyphens do. In Word, I believe it's Ctrl+Shift+hyphen to get these. Was hoping there was something in XL2K. If it is, it isn't the same as in Word <g>. Thanks. ...

Spell Checking words with non-breaking hyphens (Ctrl+Shift+hyphen)
In Office 2007, spell check does not allow you to use Ignore All on words using a non-breaking hyphen, you are forced to use the Ignore Once option. Is there a setting to change spell check to allow you to use the Ignore All option?? ...

no-hyphenate list
Is there a way in Word 2007 to create a list of words that should never be hyphenated in a particular document? Perhaps a way to edit the hyphenation dictionary? -- ~ Janet You can apply a "no proofing" character style to specific words; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm#ExemptingText for instructions on constructing such a style. "Proofing" in this case includes spelling, grammar, and hyphenation, all provided by the Proofing Tools. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word....

sorting hyphenated numbers
A little assistance please. I not sure that "hyphenated" is actually a word, but anyway.... In my database (Access 2007) I have a field that contains a "hyphenated" number, i.e.: 09-12-108-1234 for a report or case number. The first two sections represent the current year and the current month. The third section is a number assigned to an individual person who will handle the case. The fourth section is a sequential number for the total number of reports or cases for the year. My problem is I do not know how to sort this number so that it will be seq...