McAfee SystemGuard shuts down Publisher 2000! HELP!!!

OPSys:  Windows XP
Publisher version 2002

A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to open my
Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock up
my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same
abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
documents.

Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started happening.
While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would immediately
lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need to do
(other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please Help!!!

Do you get an error message?
You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or start
Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404/en-us
McAfee Support
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OPSys:  Windows XP
> Publisher version 2002
>
> A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to open my
> Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock up
> my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
> computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same
> abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
> documents.
>
> Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started happening.
> While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would immediately
> lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need to do
> (other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please Help!!!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
2/6/2007 3:34:10 PM
Why muck with Publisher if McAfee is the culprit???
Turn McAfee off to confirm, then investigate McAfee.

"dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| OPSys:  Windows XP
| Publisher version 2002
|
| A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to open
my
| Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock
up
| my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
| computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same
| abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
| documents.
|
| Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started happening.
| While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would
immediately
| lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need to do
| (other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please
Help!!!

0
webmaster911 (1600)
2/6/2007 3:40:56 PM
I could not figure out how to shut down McAfee.  This new upgrade is a
monster.  I thought when I disabled SystemsGuard that would do it.  It
didn't.  I am confused as to why it only happens to the Publisher 2002
version as opposed to the earlier version I temporarily installed.  I will
check with McAfee as well.

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

> Why muck with Publisher if McAfee is the culprit???
> Turn McAfee off to confirm, then investigate McAfee.
>

> "dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | OPSys:  Windows XP
> | Publisher version 2002
> |
> | A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to open
> my
> | Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock
> up
> | my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
> | computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same
> | abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
> | documents.
> |
> | Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started happening.
> | While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would
> immediately
> | lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need to do
> | (other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please
> Help!!!

The only message that occurred was this:  McAfee SystemsGuard needs to shut
down this program, sorry for the inconvenience.  Do you want to report this
to Microsoft?  Then it either shuts down and restarts the program or freezes
my computer.  If it does restart Publisher, I get the same message.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Do you get an error message?
> You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or start
> Outlook
> McAfee Support
> http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OPSys:  Windows XP
> > Publisher version 2002
> >
> > A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to open my
> > Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock up
> > my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
> > computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same
> > abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
> > documents.
> >
> > Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started happening.
> > While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would immediately
> > lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need to do
> > (other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please Help!!!

Both Norton and McAfee have become overgrown clunkers in the past few years.
I use AVG (excellent)...and I bet that will become a clunker in a few years
as well.

|I could not figure out how to shut down McAfee.  This new upgrade is a
| monster.  I thought when I disabled SystemsGuard that would do it.  It
| didn't.  I am confused as to why it only happens to the Publisher 2002
| version as opposed to the earlier version I temporarily installed.  I will
| check with McAfee as well.
|
| "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
|
| > Why muck with Publisher if McAfee is the culprit???
| > Turn McAfee off to confirm, then investigate McAfee.
| >

| > "dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | OPSys:  Windows XP
| > | Publisher version 2002
| > |
| > | A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer.  When I tried to
open
| > my
| > | Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or
lock
| > up
| > | my computer.  I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my
| > | computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the
same
| > | abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my
| > | documents.
| > |
| > | Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002.  The same thing started
happening.
| > | While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would
| > immediately
| > | lock up and try to shut down.  Can anyone please tell me what I need
to do
| > | (other than purchase another version -- they are not cheap!)?  Please
| > Help!!!
| > |
| > |

0
webmaster911 (1600)
2/6/2007 10:29:43 PM
Rob,

With the advent of Windows Vista, Microsoft has shut out those that muck
around with the operating system. Remember the full page ad in one of the
New York papers by Norton and McAfee crying foul! AVG never did..
"Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
> Both Norton and McAfee have become overgrown clunkers in the past few
> years.
> I use AVG (excellent)...and I bet that will become a clunker in a few
> years
> as well.
>

> "dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I could not figure out how to shut down McAfee.  This new upgrade is a
> | monster.  I thought when I disabled SystemsGuard that would do it.  It
> | didn't.  I am confused as to why it only happens to the Publisher 2002
> | version as opposed to the earlier version I temporarily installed.  I
> will
> | check with McAfee as well.
> |
> | "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
> |
> | > Why muck with Publisher if McAfee is the culprit???
> | > Turn McAfee off to confirm, then investigate McAfee.
> | >

> | > "dstewart20" <dstewart20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > |
> open
> | > my
> lock
> | > up
> the
> same
> my
> | > |
> happening.
> | > immediately
> to do
> Please
> | > Help!!!
> | > |
> | > |

0
Chuck

Error 0x80042109
I'm running XP, using Outlook 2003. McAfee's Personal Firewall and VirusScan are installed. My ISP is Time Warner's Road Runner service. I can receive email but get the following error when sending email: Task 'pop-server.nyc.rr.com - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' McAfee support says it's a problem with the ISP. The ISP says it's a problem with McAfee. The outg...

Open Publisher files in Publisher 2000, ver 6.00 that were created
Open Publisher files created in Publisher 2000, ver 6.00 when Publisher 2000, ver 6.00 has suddenly decided that it can't open files from an older version when the only version I have ever had and used is Publisher 2000, ver 6.00. What's it playing at and how do I ger round it? -- Oldsteve, Silver Surfer. Look at the threads you started June 30. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Oldsteve" <Steve@scarborough.net> wrote in message news:17B2D84A-1244-4F6A-A5AC-1E52FC3C7351@microsoft.com... > ...

open money 97 data file with money 2000/2001
I try to open money 97 data file with money 2000 or 2001 and the error message I got is that the file can not be opened, the program is not properly installed. Please tell me how I can use the data file from money 97 in later version of money. Thanks. ...

Can I print a publisher document in word format?
I want to email a document in publisher, but recipient doesnt have publisher on their computer, how else can I email the document. Can I change the document into word? Cathy <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to email a document in publisher, but recipient doesnt have > publisher on their computer, how else can I email the document. Can I > change the document into word? You could, but you wouldn't want to. Use a program like PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com) to convert to PDF, then send them the PDF file (which can be opened in the ...

SQL Service wont Auto Start with Mcafee McShield enabled
On certain customer machines, the SQL Server service won't AutoStart when McAfee McShield (on access scan) is enabled. I have tried specifically excluding the SQL Binn and Data directories, but still no luck. I have to actually disable the McShield Service, or make SQL dependent on the McShield Service so it starts up after McShield. The customer is using SQL 2005 Express and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.5.0i with Patch 8" on XP Pro. Is this a known issue with McShield? I posted on a McAfee community board as well but no responses. Thank...

In Publisher 2003, convert endnotes to footnotes
How do you convert endnotes to footnoests in Publisher 2003 How do you automatically place footnoes in Publishr 2003 In WORD its easy, but can't determine how to do it in publisher. If impossible in Publisher 2003 Is there a Utility that accomplishes this?? jerome <jerome@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do you convert endnotes to footnoests in Publisher 2003 Footnotes and endnotes are both things which don't exist as separate functions in Publisher. > How do you automatically place footnoes in Publishr 2003 You cannot. > If imp...

strange windows search problem
vista enterprise 32bit SP2. outlook 2007 since a couple of days I do have a strange behaviour of windows search. indexing and searching work actually. a week ago, everything still worked fine. not sure what i have changed in between... symptoms: - searching within outlook will work fine, as expected. - searching over start menu will not produce search results from outlook (E-Mail), but only from filesystem - searching via WIN-f shortcut, search patterns entered in there will not produce any search results whan "Show only:" is set to "All" or "E-Mail&q...

Outlook 2000: Limiting size of retrieved messages
Help! I have a user at work with Outlook 2000, who is trying to make use of the option for limiting the size of email downloads. We've set the system to permit only messages of a certain size or smaller to come through, and to omit bringing larger messages down. My understanding is that this setting is specific to dial-up connections, which is exactly what we want. However, the setting seems to have no effect whatsoever. Regardless of the size of the message or the attachment, the message is retrieved from the server every time. Unfortunately, since he's the President of...

How do get a picture in publisher to print on only one page?
I have clip art I have downloaded to publisher. It shows on one page when I am working with it but when I go to print the image shows up in the corner of 4 pages. I am a rookie with this so sorry if this sounds too easy. ...

I deleted Mcafee a long time ago now use AVG and just installed Outlook, and Outlook keeps looking for Mcafee.
What do I do? I keep getting error message every time I start Outlook 2002 saying Mcafee's dll file is missing, when that isn't even my default antivirus program especially since I don't have it? JoshuaM <adminjm@cox.net> wrote: > What do I do? I keep getting error message every time I start Outlook > 2002 saying Mcafee's dll file is missing, when that isn't even my > default antivirus program especially since I don't have it? Click Tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options and look in both Add-In Manager and COM Add-Ins to see if that DLL is...

Publisher 2002 and Vista Home Premium
When I try and print a file with many illutrations I can only print 1 page, not 2 or more. The trouble appears to be memory, but the computer is a Due 2 Core laptop with 1GB memory and 160 GB hard drive. I can print from Publisher 98 without a problem. I would value some suggestions or if no soution is apparent, will upgrading to Publisher 2007 solve the memory problem. I think from experience years back that there is too much memory and Publisher gets confused. Many thanks for help. Have you considered looking at the possibility of an updated driver that is compatible with Vista? Go t...

Help, I'm Struggling!
Hi, Bit of a newbie here! I have several, simple, cells with mostly just arranged data and few functions, only really =SUM functions. I would like Excel to search the spreadsheet, find singular numerical values then do a =SUM function! I'm really unsure how to do this. The other thing I would like to do is for Excel to count a column of "x"s as opposed to numbers. Can Excel just count how many "x"s are in a column of cells then sum at the bottom? Thanks in advance for your help. Fybo. =COUNTIF(A:A,"x") will count all cells with an x You could us...

How do I install graphic converter in Publisher?
After searching for clip art to install, only few "actual" pictures appear in boxes. The rest are shown as "dglxasset" and then get message to install graphic converter. Have followed instructions from help but going to "add/remove" in Control Panel and selecting Office Professional Ediiton and then change and follow instructions - nothing changes. I am getting frustrated! This issue is caused by your cache being full, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews...

CRM. Publish in a web a search form of knowledge Base from CRM
Exist any kind of integration or sample about how to integrate in a standard web, or web developed with Sharepoint, a form to allow the Company visitors to search into the Knowledge Base created in Dynamics CRM? ...

Converting Publisher Files to PDF Format
When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a message that says "The size of the paper you have chosen is too small to show the printer markings", but when my commercial printing guy takes my same Publisher files and converts them, it works. What am I doing wrong. I've already talked to Adobe and they think that my Acrobat Distiller is set up properly. I have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard, Windows XP Professional, Publisher 2003 and an IBM desktop with 260 gigabytes of memory ediejensen wrote: > When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a mess...

Shutting down XP
Dear All, I recently upgraded to Outlook 2002. Now it will not automatically close when I shut down my Windows XP machine, as did previous versions. I demands that it be closed first. Any way to cut this corner? "Neil Smith" <nsmith@clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:4346e16a$0$12123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com... > Dear All, I recently upgraded to Outlook 2002. Now it will not > automatically close when I shut down my Windows XP machine, as did > previous versions. I demands that it be closed first. Any way to cut this > corner? > It does for me. C...

Outlook keeps shutting down
Within the last week, every time that Outlook begins to perform an involved task, such as receiving a large or many emails, or processing archive tasks, it abruptly shuts down. When I reopen it, if it still needs to receive a large or many emails, the process becomes circular (i.e., it keeps shutting down). The only way that I am able to interrupt this from continuing to occur is to download the inbox headers only, and then process the headers only a few at a time. Last week, I was having some C++ runtime errors on one of my machines (a laptop): Outlook would shut down abrup...

Opening Publisher with blank page
I have just upgraded to 2007 from 2003. Somehow I had managed to have my program come up with a blank page instead of the templates whenever I opened Publisher. BUT I can't figure out how I did it. Can anybody help? PLEASE Tools, Options, uncheck Show Publication Types when starting Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nonserenity" <nonserenity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBA4AD79-DF58-476D-9788-500A1E55E93B@microsoft.com... >I have just upgraded to 2007 from 2003. ...

Exchange and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i
I'm having problems installing McAffe VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i on an Exchange2003/server2003. I've excluded all exchange directories from the scan but the machine still seems to rebot itself whenever the McAffe services are running. I guess I'm asking if anyone else has this product running on an Exchange 2003 server ? Andy Seems this is a probelm with Mcaffe and windows 2003 server: https://knowledgemap.nai.com/phpclient/viewKDoc.aspx?externalID=KB_KB41302&sessionID=Anonymous|1809697109&sliceID=&docID=KC.KB_KB41302&url=kb/kb_kb41302.xml&dialogID=1...

Help improve mySchedule Please
I would like to see if anyone can help me improve my Excel 2000 Weekly Schedule. I really don't know where to start so any idea's with instructions would be very helpful. I'm a beginner and can do a few basic things with excel. (see Attachment) I would like to make it easier and faster to add information to my schedule. I usually work with one sheet at a time so I don't mind adding info to one sheet at a time to keep it simple. This is my work schedule for the week and I right now I have to page up and down to much to add the information to the different days of the week. Mond...

Help Visio 2007
I'm trying to use Visio to draw lunar trajectories to scale. I see where I can set the scale in the Page Setup window (an odd place, but whatever). But I need like a 1:40000 scale, and Visio tells me that scale is illegal. Is it possible that Microsoft's still using a 16-bit integer for scaling parameter? I also can't figure out how to place the origin. I'd like it to be in midpage rather than on one corner. Finally, I'd like to describe the "planets" as circles with positions and diameters numeric inputs, rather than just dragging things aroun...

Working with existing publisher files
I am trying to modify an existing page. It allows me to make the edits, but when I look at the page in print preview the old text is there. I'm not sure how to get to the old text since it's not showing when I'm in normal view. Which version of Publisher are you working with? Have you tried printing it? Could it be a glitch? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "saenl" <saenl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C952078F-E942-47C3-94C0-9934CEF6791B@microsoft.com... >I a...

Help with new mobo
Hi, I have an old TUSL-C mobo and I want to update to a new one as I think this one is on it's way out. Thing is, every now and then the whole thing shuts down or goes to the XP blue screen. On this box and with the new mobo, I want to do this. I use XP Pro. PCI Controller to run 2 IDE HDs.. Master and Slave Primary and Secondary on mobo to run 4 IDE Cdroms I guess also need onboard LAN, AUDIO, USB2. Display also latho' I can use a new card. The box is for pretty much only multi CD/DVD burns. My current case is an ATX but not sure whether that will be okay wi...

Pivot Chart/Report Help
I need some serious help here. I've been trying to figure this one out for 3 days now and I'm getting nowhere. I've searched google extensively for anyone else that might have been having this issue but come up with nothing. OK, I have a very simple pie chart created in Access 2003. It is basically just a form in which the default view is set to "Pivot Chart." If I view this on the screen, it looks fine. If I print out the form, the chart is upside down and backwards. If I print out the report in which the form is a sub-report, the chart is upside down and backward...

How to show total in pie chart (Excel 2000)
I'm designing a "dashboard" and only want charts, not the raw data, but I have been unable to show the total of all slices. I need to show the total number of calls taken at the help desk and the % of the total for each type (slice). Thanks! Ruby In article <522B8268-BB3E-45F8-B44E-858721ACE2BA@microsoft.com>, RubyTue@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I'm designing a "dashboard" and only want charts, not the raw data, but I > have been unable to show the total of all slices. I need to show the total > number of calls taken at the help desk a...