Massive files in .pb a problem !!!

Hi
I am developing a website for a client and he has supplied several .pb files
i.e Newsletters. The problem is the files are massive 10MB!!. I just wondered
how to go about reducing so that when I put them on his website for
downloading it does not take forever to download. I have thought about pdf
still 2.3MB. I have thought about WORD still way too big. And last I thought
about putting into image ie through photoshop then putting into .swf. Has
anybody got a better way at all.

Thanks
--
http://www.philbrighton.co.uk

Phil Brighton wrote:
> I am developing a website for a client and he has supplied several .pb files
> i.e Newsletters. The problem is the files are massive 10MB!!. I just wondered
> how to go about reducing so that when I put them on his website for
> downloading it does not take forever to download. I have thought about pdf
> still 2.3MB. I have thought about WORD still way too big. And last I thought
> about putting into image ie through photoshop then putting into .swf. Has
> anybody got a better way at all.

a) What version of Publisher are you using?

b) Going to Photoshop converts everything to raster images, so then
going to SWF will not reduce the filesize past that of a well-made PDF.

c) Putting .pub files (not .pb files) on websites is not recommended, as
few users have the requisite software to open them.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

Rob

"Phil Brighton" <PhilBrighton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi
| I am developing a website for a client and he has supplied several .pb
files
| i.e Newsletters. The problem is the files are massive 10MB!!. I just
wondered
| how to go about reducing so that when I put them on his website for
| downloading it does not take forever to download. I have thought about pdf
| still 2.3MB. I have thought about WORD still way too big. And last I
thought
| about putting into image ie through photoshop then putting into .swf. Has
| anybody got a better way at all.
|
| Thanks
| --
| http://www.philbrighton.co.uk

0
webmaster911 (1600)

Reading from a file
How do I open a file (.mp3 flie), read the last 128 bytes (id3 v1 tag), and store them in a CString object. I need all of the bytes including spaces. Thanks in advance. Try CreateFile() and ReadFile() "Jo Franklin" <cracker1234@optonline.net> wrote in message news:OEzmsW3mEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > How do I open a file (.mp3 flie), read the last 128 bytes (id3 v1 tag), and > store them in a CString object. I need all of the bytes including spaces. > Thanks in advance. > > Jo Franklin wrote: > How do I open a file (.mp3 flie), read the last...

Backup problem no more..??
I wrote a while back to ask about the backup problem of not limiting the number of backup files to the number set in the settings menu. I was told it was a bug. Since then I have purchased a 'Personal Media Drive' for my HP Pavilion and set the backup to this drive as opposed to the USB drive that I was backing up to (it kept filling up with backup files). Now the backup setting has taken hold!?!?!? It is set to 5 and it maintains 5 files. Any thoughts? RJH ...

dowloading data of CSV file to excel file
Hi, I have the CSV file with more that 200000 lines and I need to import it into the excel sheet. I have tried using Import wizard and it did not work. I am using the Excel 2003. Please let me know the other way I can import the complete data to the excel. Regards, Igneshwara Reddy xl2003 only has 64k rows in a worksheet. Maybe you could use your favorite text editor and split your file into 3 smaller pieces. And then import each piece into its own sheet???? Igneshwara reddy wrote: > > Hi, > > I have the CSV file with more that 200000 lines and I need ...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

How to make back up file whenever I save excel file?
As titled. Thanks. You can create a new default template, with the 'Always save backup' setting turned on: Open a new workbook. Choose File>Save As From the Save As Type dropdown, choose Template (*.xlt) Name the File "Book.xlt" At the top right of the Save As dialog box, click the Tools button Choose General Options Check 'Always create backup', click OK Save the file in the XLStart folder (usually in Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office) When you click the New button on the toolbar, the new workbook will be based on this template. A backup copy w...

Microsoft Visual Basic
When I try and open up an Excel workbook (that I really need), I get "File not found" error (it says "Microsoft Visual Basic" in the blu line atop the error message). I know that the file exists - I can se it in Explorer, plus I get the same message when I try and launch th workbook from a CD-ROM to which I backed it up. Any ideas whats going on?? Thanks so much, Aryeh Bak AryehJBak@yahoo.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Is there a VBA routine in the Workbook_Open area that is trying to reference another excel file which has been moved. Try open...

where is the file list?
in my old wmp that came with xp (probably v9 or 10) on the right side of the screen was a list of files queued up...with names and running times. that computer died and i have a new windows 7 laptop...the new wmp is very confusing. when i use skin mode it looks familiar but i can't see the list! also, when i used to downlaod m3u files from archive.org grateful dead site, as each song downloaded, it would appear on the list. how can i access the now playing list while listening? or is that feature gone? (i don't always want to add things to my library...) Go back to Libr...

Batch file to add new domain account permissions
We are running Exchange 5.5 on a W2K server on domain A. Is it possible to run a batch file that will add user a user account from domain B to the permissions of every account in exchange? Does anyone have an example of something similar? Thanks in advance Why not create a group, give it the Service Account Admin role at the site level, and add the user(s) to that group? -tom ---- "Don" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18ff001c423c1$43d99610$a001280a@phx.gbl... > We are running Exchange 5.5 on a W2K server on domain A. > > Is it pos...

About opening .wmv files on MacBook laptop
I have a MacBook laptop computer. It is running OS X 10.4.11.............my friends often send me emails with .wmv files attached. I have not been able to open these files. Can anyone help me with what I would have to do to be able to open these windows files on my MacBook. Thank you "JMoore1142" wrote: > I have a MacBook laptop computer. It is running OS X 10.4.11.............my > friends often send me emails with .wmv files attached. I have not been able > to open these files. Can anyone help me with what I would have to do to be > able to open these windows files ...

Defraging a pst file
When I try to defrag my HD the pst file never defrags. Is there a way to force it to defrag the pst file? TIA Brian Defrag doesn't operate on files per se, it runs defragmentation of a disk, optimizing file storage by moving the little bits and pieces of files to contiguous spaces on the disk.. Database files, such as Access, Outlook, etc., need to be compacted/compressed to remove whitespace. You can compact your PST file by right-clicking on the top-level folder, going to properties, advanced, compact now... this will only make a difference if you've deleted a lot of items and ...

combine 4 file into one
I have one excel file. This file consists of Item Number, Description, Quantity, Unit Cost and Extended Value. I send this file to 4 users in various locations so they can open in the MS Excel. The users will count how many quantity they have for each Item number. The user then saves and sends the file back to me. My question is how do I combine four files from 4 users back into one file with the quantity update and other fields remain unchanged. For instant, User A count 4 for the item 12345, User B count 2 for the item 12345, User C count 1 and User D count 0. How do I combine 4 files f...

why the content is NULL that I read file??
to ALL: void GetOfforLenth(CFile &file, const CString *str, int index,LONG &offset,LONG &lenth) { int nstart,nend; CString pfile; file.Read(&pfile,file.GetLength()); ///why the pfile is null offset=nstart=pfile.Find(str[index]); nend=pfile.Find(str[index+1]); pfile=pfile.Mid(nstart,nend-nstart); lenth=pfile.GetLength(); } it is appreciated for anyone reply hi, Shldnt the code be something like this ? CString pFile = *str; You never seemed to set the value to the pFile. hth gangadhar terrcy wrote: > to ALL: > void GetOfforLenth(CFile &file, const CStrin...

PST Files #3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C3E124.D010CCA0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0039_01C3E124.D010CCA0" ------=_NextPart_001_0039_01C3E124.D010CCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I copied my pst files to the server. The n I upgraded my workstation from Win 98 to Win 2000. When I try to import my pst file, back to the workstation, it copies = over, but there is no data... Can someone tell me what is happening??? Charles L. Ph...

Embedded Word files in Word files do not open...
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have ~1000 pages of class notes that I put together in Word 2004 (and earlier) in which I embedded pictures that I created in a word document. (This was done via the &quot;Insert-Object-Word Document&quot; function.) When I try to open them in Word 2008, I get the spinning wheel of death. Any suggestions? I really need to be able to open them so that I can change things and improve the figures and notes. <br><br>I still have both Word 2004 and 2008 on the computer. (As well as XP with 2...

Mouse release problem
Hi, I didn't know whether to post this here or where in the Office section. Basically, this happens in Excel most commonly but it other applications aswell. Say I click in cell A1 and then let my finger off the mouse, when I the move the mouse it behaves as if I still have the mouse button held down. The only way to get it to release control is by Ctrl Alt Del. I do use the On-screen keyboard (built into NT and XP), and thats the only other software running. I've had this happen on 2 seperate machines now. Please help!? Cheers, Russ. Hi Russ, see Ghosting of cells fro...

Adding massive number of email accounts to outlook 2007
Hi, im searching for some tool/add-on for outlook that can add alot email accounts+settings in short time. cause adding them one by one will take long time... maybe Interface tweak or editing the file that store the information so i can use copy+paste to do it faster... thanks.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com You'll need to use a PRF. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/prf.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips...

Publisher 2002 won't open or insert any pic files
Got new computer...running XP professional...reloaded my publisher 2002 and now it won't import any of my .eps, jpeg, files, etc. Dialog box comes up and asks what to convert the file from. It never did this before. Any ideas??? Have you installed the Publisher 2002 Service Releases. Sounds like you have not. go to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from ���MS�Publisher��� <donotknock@nobodyhome.com>... > go to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com Or even to http://office.microsoft.com -- Ed Bennet...

OE 6 VERY Slow and Other Problems ...
Hello ... I've been using OE 6 for a number of years. In recent months, it has become more and more of a problem. For one thing, it responds very slowing. Often, when I receive a new e-mail and click on it, OE 6 just sits there for a while before doing anything. Then it will often first show whatever Web page I have open -- leaving OE 6. I will have to click on OE 6 to get back to it. Then when I get back to it and click again on the e-mail to open it, OE 6 usually sits there for a while before opening the e-mail. This is irritating, especially if I'm in a hurry and receive an ...

Replace massively formulas with new formulas
Hi there, would like to get your input/hints on how to solve the following: In a series of cells in a row, I already have a formula calculating a division among two other columns. The rows are many (more than 500). But now I need to apply a ROUND formula, on top of the existing ones. ex. cell C5 = A1/B1 and I want to massively apply for all cells in a row the formula: =ROUND(A1/B1,3) I need the accuracy of the values to be at the 3rd decimal and not just the appearance of the cells. I also need to avoid VB programming. Anyone who can help? THanks M Why can't you just co...

ldb file for locks
My database crashed and is asking that I repair it. I cannot repair it because it thinks I and another person are in when we are not. The ibd file show us in it. I have copied the db so all is ok. Now I want to delete the old one but cannot because of this issue. How do I get around that? I tried calling up the ldb file in note pad and changing but it will not let me. Help. I'd reccomend not using MDB for anything-- it's not reliable enough and I've been telling you that for a long time I can drive up there and have it working asap, but I'm coming from Tacoma Are...

problem in acessing date
I am implementing a database.I am able to get string value and integer values.But i have no idea how to get date out of a database.I am using MS ACESS.Can you help ..Please.... Jeevan Use a CTime object. If you derive a class from CRecordset, the ClassWizard will do this for you. "Jeevan" <fenn_j@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:ek9T3WucEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I am implementing a database.I am able to get string value and integer > values.But i have no idea how to get date out of a database.I am using MS > ACESS.Can you help ..Please.... > >...

Dividing a File
I am going to have a file with 55,000 records on it that I want to split up among 10 people so each has 5,500 records to work individually. I will need to assign two pieces of information that will be unique to each person (UserID) and Phone. Ideas? If the records always have a telephone number, I would just grab the last digit of the phone number and use that to assign the records. Joe gets all phones ending in zero Ann gets all phones ending in 1 Bob gets all phones ending in 2 That might not be totally accurate but it should give you a pretty good approximation of eq...

Printing Publisher File on Computer without Publisher
I currently have Publisher 2002 but I don't have a printer. My friend has a printer I can use but he doesn't have Publisher installed on his computer. Is there a way to print publisher files on another computer that doesn't have publisher? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much. Convert the file to PDF, Adobe offers five free conversions on their web site. https://createpdf.adobe.com/index.pl/4207686881.89851?BP=IE&v=AHP Click the "Try it for free!" button on the left bottom. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/...

Open CSV files without auto-formatting values
Hello, I am having difficulties while opening CSV files: If there is value i.e "6.1" which is decimal, Excel interprets it as date = 01. June (According to regional date settings) If there is value "16.04.07" which is actually date 2007-04-16, Excel again converts it according to regional settings, and finally there is 2016.04.07 Is there any settings or macros available, so I can open CSV file, and treat each column just as TEXT ? without any auto-guessings about cell type. Import wizard is not good solution this time. Also playing with regional settings is not ...

Preinstallation of INF File
Hello When an unknown USB device is plugged in, Windows 7 doesn't ask the user for a driver disk. But this was the way we recommended for our users on Windows XP. So I think on Windows 7 I need something like a setup.exe that preinstalls the driver INF file before the user plugs in the device. What is the easiest way to preinstall a USB driver on Windows 7? Do I have to write my own setup program and call some magic API functions? Or can I in some way use the Microsoft Installer? Any help appreciated. TIA -- Michael Reim Michael DOT Reim AT helmut-fischer DOT d...