Making a bmp transparent

Using Publisher 2000
Windows 98SE

Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent?

I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a
couple of scenes in the background.  To do this I think I need to make an
image file transparent. Can it be done?  I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint.

I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at:

http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs

On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page.

Click on the Snowman.

'Appreciate the help.

--
Don
--------

0
Engineer1 (288)

On 16 Apr 2004 10:01, "Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote:
>Using Publisher 2000
>Windows 98SE
>
>Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent?
>
>I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have
>a couple of scenes in the background.  To do this I think I need to
>make an image file transparent. Can it be done?  I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint.

Hi Don.

I don't know how/if transparency can be set in MS Paint. I looked quick,
but saw nothing. I don't have Paint Shop Pro, so that is a dead end.
However, I always use PhotoDraw 2000v2 for converting images to transparent.
I will assume you are talking about the people with the balloon bmp? And
that you want the white areas all transparent, correct?
What I did was open PhotoDraw 2000v2, and pasted in your bitmap from the
Publication (I didn't see that zipped separate). Once inserted, I clicked
on the "Set transparent color" button. Then, with the button selected,
I clicked in the white area, which made the bmp transparent.
I then went to File > Save As > and changed the file type to *.png.

I opened your Publication in Publisher 2000, then went to Insert > Picture
> New Drawing. Then on the Drawing toolbar above, I clicked on the "Insert
picture from file" button and browsed to the new png and opened. I resized
the picture as needed. Then I clicked anywhere in the background of your
Publisher pubilcation which then saves and accepts this new picture and
laid the picture on top of your clouded background. The balloon, etc were
now transparent.
It is important that you use Insert > Picture > New Drawing instead of
the normal Insert Picture from file button on the object toolbar because
that will not retain the transparency.
If your lost after this walkthrough, let me know :-)

Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

bkvalheim (1291)
4/16/2004 3:34:13 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Don
Schmidt <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa>!"...
> Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent?
>
> I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to
> have a couple of scenes in the background.  To do this I think I need
> to make an image file transparent. Can it be done?  I have Paint Shop
> Pro and MS Paint.

Paint Shop Pro can do this, depending on the version.
However...
The graphic you want transparent-ized wants more than transparency.  If you
were just to make the background transparent, there would be a white haze
around it (especially on the shadow), as it is anti-aliased and designed to
be semitransparent.  The way I would deal with this is by "cutting" around
the absolute edges of the cartoon, removing everything outside there, adding
the shadow manually onto a transparent background, and then saving in a
semitransparency-friendly format (I would use PNG).
Another way around is to use CorelDraw and trace the cartoon to WMF format,
but then you'd lose the shadow completely.
I can do either for you if you like, but I will need a copy of the original
graphic (copying/pasting images out of Microsoft Office files into graphics
editors virtually always bas**rdises them)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
4/16/2004 3:42:46 PM
Don, This .gif looks okay in the clouds but it looks terrible in the fire.
I can fix it up however, how much time do you have?

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx
"Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote in message
> Using Publisher 2000
> Windows 98SE
>
> Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent?
>
> I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a
> couple of scenes in the background.  To do this I think I need to make an
> image file transparent. Can it be done?  I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint.
>
> I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at:
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs
>
> On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page.
>
> Click on the Snowman.
>
> 'Appreciate the help.
>

> --
> Don
> --------
> Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in the
> Americas!

0
laserdog (1122)
4/16/2004 4:26:48 PM
Brian,
Ed,
Mary,

Thanks guys and gal for the prompt response and the solution to making an
image transparent.  Paint Shop Pro ver 7.04 does it but option isn't under
the edit menu it's under Selections, Modify menu.  Works pretty good but as
Ed and Mary pointed out the pixels that aren't white (gray areas) don't
change and does leave a speckled effect. And yes, the fire area (it's an
electrical storm with a massive lightening strike) as enough color changes
that no one font color is clear to read.

I did learn an image altering lesson and appreciate it very much.  The bad
news is one of the images needs to be rejected the good news if I drop the
background image is, I save buckets of ink on our next newsletter.<G>

Take care and thanks again.

Don

"Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote in message
> Using Publisher 2000
> Windows 98SE
>
> Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent?
>
> I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a
> couple of scenes in the background.  To do this I think I need to make an
> image file transparent. Can it be done?  I have Paint Shop Pro and MS
Paint.

> I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded
at:

> http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs
>
> On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page.
>
> Click on the Snowman.
>
> 'Appreciate the help.
>

> --
> Don
> --------
> Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in
the
> Americas!

0
Engineer1 (288)

Make Default

making a transfer show up in the budget

Transparent Background
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C400F0.2C3C0AE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Using Publisher XP, I have been able to obtain a transparent background = (using the Set Transparent Color tool) on a .jpg graphic. However, I = haven't been able to get a transparent background on a .jpg graphic when = placed on top of a filled rectangle object or text box. The opaque = background on the top item of course is undesirable. I have tried = different layout formats, but to no avail. ...

making tickets

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

Making a bmp transparent
Using Publisher 2000 Windows 98SE Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent? I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a couple of scenes in the background. To do this I think I need to make an image file transparent. Can it be done? I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint. I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at: http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page. Click on the Snowman. 'Appreciate the help. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of...

How to make Frames??
how to make frames in microsoft publisher??? You use the Tool called TEXT FRAME Pretty easy I would have thought - obviously a challenge for some. -- i try to find in tool section.. but there is no button called TEXT FRAME? can u tell me the steps! PLZ!! Thankx.. and one more question.. i would link some sites... but i want that link(site) to be pop up in new window.? how to do it??? i've been trying to find it.. but then it always pop up in same window.. and could u tell me the steps?? plz. Thanzk Trust me, there is most definitely a button called Text Frame. Look in the HEL...

How to make this report simple? Thanks
How to combine all items to be read better? I mean just now I have 3 products however to each of theme are the same items / Rqst, EG, SP, EG-SP/ and I would like to meka it simplier. July2006 August2005 Group1 Group2 Group3 Group1 Group2 product1 Rqst 4301 0 250 120 75 EG 3560 0 150 80 100 SP 3200 0 120 40 50 EG-SP 360 0 65 30 200 product2 Rqst 100 150 EG SP EG-SP product3 Rqst EG SP EG-SP Thanks a lot for any kind of info. Juraj / mer68@zmail.sk ...

How to make a stacked bar chart using time?
Hi, I have the following data to plot on a stacked bar chart, and displayed as time. Dr X Dr Y Dr Z 02:03 03:00 01:00 00:20 02:00 00:30 00:40 01:00 00:30 02:45 01:00 00:15 02:10 08:13 07:00 02:00 This is time in hours and minutes. I need the result to look like this... Dr.X bar [02:03][00:20][00:40][02:45][00:15][02:10] Dr.Y bar [03:00][02:00][01:00][01:00] Dr.Z bar [01:00][00:30][00:30] where [02:03] represents a colour to represent 2 hrs & 3 mins etc. If I just select the Dr. X data I can get a stacked chart, but as soon as I add either Dr. Y or Dr. Z data the whole chart ...

making lines around info so it looks like a table when printed or viewed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) How do I put horizontal and vertical lines around all the cells so it looks like a table? Display the Toolbox by hitting the Toolbox button. Activate the Formatting Palette (upper left button) then chose Borders and Shading. Make sure you select the cels you want to format.... <br><br>make your choice in de button that has &quot;type:&quot; in front of it. Done Thank you I have been successfully making borders in all my excel worksheets but since the latest update, the palette in excel no longer works. At firs...

How do I make each row add up seperatly? Please make it easy...
I have never set up anything on excel before. My job has always had it ready for me. I want to do this to help me figure out how much I will need for my baking ingredients for the holidays. I thought that I could put a row for sugar, and then for everything I am making with sugar type in 3/4 cup and 1 1/2 cups then at the end of all the sugar items have it add how much I will need. Can anyone tell me step by step how to set this up?? Please make it easy I am not computer smart at all. I'm willing to take this project on! Why don't you email what you have to ng@officear...

making numbered tickets
how can I make numbered tickets for my group without having to pay a printer? There is a template for numbered tickets here (raffle ticket) http://www.publishermvps.com/General/Templates/tabid/38/Default.aspx Consecutive numbering tutorial http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "carmelitahaynes@hotmail.com" <carmelitahaynes@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6068BB43-C2AB-4046-8467-20610ECE66E5@microsoft.com... > how can I make num...

Convert *.BMP to Excel shape
Hi there, I have *.BMP file with freeform outline. Does anybody know any method to convert this *.BMP to Excel AutoShape? Of course I can Insert Picture from this file and then make new Freeform shape using my *.BMP as a template but I need to make about 50 shapes: Thank you. ...

Vlookup or something more? Trying to make the book intuitive...
Hi there, I hope you can help. I’m trying to make my life much easier by making a currently unwieldy spreadsheet into one that’s a lot more intuitive. Currently I have to enter data twice into the same spreadsheet but I hope to be able to enter it once and have the other sheets automatically update. First, the explanation… This is a spreadsheet that tracks the holidays of a department of 20 people. Currently it fulfils a few functions. First, it tracks each individual on their own worksheet which goes into details (date began/ended, etc). Second, it tracks them all together on an...

Make a window active
Hey all I'm trying to write a script that will make Outlook the active window, whether its minimized or not. It will then send Alt+F4 to close it. I have no idea how to make Outlook the active window. Any ideas? On Jan 26, 11:41=A0am, Matt Longo <justice8...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey all > > I'm trying to write a script that will make Outlook the active window, > whether its minimized or not. It will then send Alt+F4 to close it. I > have no idea how to make Outlook the active window. Any ideas? I wouldn't do it that way. I'd access the provid...

how to make controls move after parent resize?
Hi all, I've created a dialog based app, and I have put some controls in it that I want to move or resize when I resize the dialog. In the old days, on certain non-Windows machines this was done by specifying that a control was attached to one or more edges of the parent, and the GUI took care of changing the controls' positions and sizes. But how is this done under Windows? Is there an easy answer? Thanks in advance -V One solution is to handle WM_SIZE in your dialog. Then move/resize the controls in OnSize. Regards Niraj "Varf" <Varf@hoopomail.com> wrote in message ...

How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them?
How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them? When I select "All Mail Folders" from dropdown, it only inserts Drafts;Inbox;Outbox;Sent Items into the "Search In" field, Is there any way to make that dropdown actually list all mail folders or do I have to select them all by hand each time? Any help or pointers to help are appreciated. Thanks, Ken Outlook version? What search engine are you using? WDS? GDS? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head sc...