Mail merge using Windows Live Mail

I have switched from using Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, but now I'm
having problems with the mail merge in Publisher. It looks like it is
requiring OE as the email client for outgoing mail.  How can I make the mail
merge function in Publisher use Windows Live Mail instead?

I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the article;
see if it is what you need.

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector overview
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Johanna" <Johanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have switched from using Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, but now
>I'm
> having problems with the mail merge in Publisher. It looks like it is
> requiring OE as the email client for outgoing mail.  How can I make the
> mail
> merge function in Publisher use Windows Live Mail instead?

0
Mary
11/15/2009 8:32:55 PM
This is to use Outlook to manage email accounts - but I'm using Live Mail
instead of Outlook to manage email accounts.  So Live Mail is the default
mail client on my laptop and opens up automatically when email client is
needed.  However, I get an error when the mail merger in Publisher is trying
to access the default email client since it is looking for Outlook or OE.

I also have Windows Mail installed and made that the default client, but I
still get the error.

Johanna

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the article;
> see if it is what you need.
>
> Microsoft Office Outlook Connector overview
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Johanna" <Johanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have switched from using Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, but now
> >I'm
> > having problems with the mail merge in Publisher. It looks like it is
> > requiring OE as the email client for outgoing mail.  How can I make the
> > mail
> > merge function in Publisher use Windows Live Mail instead?
>
> .

Can you export your contacts to Excel, Access or some other data base? Even a
Word table.

--

> This is to use Outlook to manage email accounts - but I'm using Live Mail
> instead of Outlook to manage email accounts.  So Live Mail is the default
> mail client on my laptop and opens up automatically when email client is
> needed.  However, I get an error when the mail merger in Publisher is trying
> to access the default email client since it is looking for Outlook or OE.
>
> I also have Windows Mail installed and made that the default client, but I
> still get the error.
>
> Johanna
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the article;
>> see if it is what you need.
>>
>> Microsoft Office Outlook Connector overview
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Johanna" <Johanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have switched from using Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, but now
>> >I'm
>> > having problems with the mail merge in Publisher. It looks like it is
>> > requiring OE as the email client for outgoing mail.  How can I make the
>> > mail
>> > merge function in Publisher use Windows Live Mail instead?
>>
>> .

0
Mary
11/15/2009 10:40:37 PM
The email addresses are all in Excel as I'm trying to use the email merge
function.

The problem is when I try to select "Send email" from within the email merge
wisard, I get an error that I must install and configure Outlook or OE as the
default email client - however, I don't either.

However, I do have Windows Mail and Publisher Help states that Windows Mail
should work.  So I made that my default email client but I still get the same
error.

Mary Sauer wrote:
> I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the
> article; see if it is what you need.

I think you're thinking of Windows Live Hotmail, formerly known as
Windows Live Mail.

Johanna is using Windows Live Mail, formerly known as Windows Live Mail
Desktop, the replacement for Windows Mail and Outlook Express. (Windows
XP shipped with Outlook Express, Vista shipped with Windows Mail, 7
ships without a mail client; on Vista and 7 at least, Windows Live Mail
can be installed as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack, along with
Live Messenger.)

Yes, this is confusing and Microsoft should really have chosen a unique
name rather than recycling one from a related and easily-confusable product!

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether Publisher works with Windows Live
Mail, or how to get it to do so if it doesn't by default. My gut
instinct would be "No" and "You can't", since Publisher is very picky
about which mail clients it works with.

Johanna, do you have Outlook available? (It needs to be the same version
as your Publisher version.)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

So I was trying to use either of these as my email client when using the
email merge funciton in Publisher 2007 (function not available in 2003).
According to Help, Windows Mail is a valid option as your default email
client for the Publisher email merge function.  However, I have tested that
Windows Mail is my default email client but Publisher does not recognize it -
always gives the error that it has to be Outlook or Outlook Express.

I have Office 2003, but downloaded trial verison of Publisher 2007 since the
email merge function is not available in Publisher 2003.  So I have Outlook
2003, but Publisher 2007 does not work with Outlook 2003.  Therefore, Outlook
does not work either!

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Mary Sauer wrote:
> > I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the
> > article; see if it is what you need.
>
> I think you're thinking of Windows Live Hotmail, formerly known as
> Windows Live Mail.
>
> Johanna is using Windows Live Mail, formerly known as Windows Live Mail
> Desktop, the replacement for Windows Mail and Outlook Express. (Windows
> XP shipped with Outlook Express, Vista shipped with Windows Mail, 7
> ships without a mail client; on Vista and 7 at least, Windows Live Mail
> can be installed as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack, along with
> Live Messenger.)
>
> Yes, this is confusing and Microsoft should really have chosen a unique
> name rather than recycling one from a related and easily-confusable product!
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea whether Publisher works with Windows Live
> Mail, or how to get it to do so if it doesn't by default. My gut
> instinct would be "No" and "You can't", since Publisher is very picky
> about which mail clients it works with.
>
> Johanna, do you have Outlook available? (It needs to be the same version
> as your Publisher version.)
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org
> .

The email merge is available in 2003. It very well could be your issues are
with the trial version.

Answer Box: Use e-mail contacts in Publisher mail merge
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA011187801033.aspx

Troubleshoot mail merge in Publisher
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP030662451033.aspx

--

> Basically, I have Vista which comes with Windows Mail - intended to
> replace
> Outlook.  However, I use Windows Live Mail as my mail client (i.e. the
> desktop version) - but that was recommended as a replacement for Outlook
> Express earlier this year.
>
> So I was trying to use either of these as my email client when using the
> email merge funciton in Publisher 2007 (function not available in 2003).
> According to Help, Windows Mail is a valid option as your default email
> client for the Publisher email merge function.  However, I have tested
> that
> Windows Mail is my default email client but Publisher does not recognize
> it -
> always gives the error that it has to be Outlook or Outlook Express.
>
> I have Office 2003, but downloaded trial verison of Publisher 2007 since
> the
> email merge function is not available in Publisher 2003.  So I have
> Outlook
> 2003, but Publisher 2007 does not work with Outlook 2003.  Therefore,
> Outlook
> does not work either!
>
> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
>> Mary Sauer wrote:
>> > I know very little about Live Mail. There is a Connector. Read the
>> > article; see if it is what you need.
>>
>> I think you're thinking of Windows Live Hotmail, formerly known as
>> Windows Live Mail.
>>
>> Johanna is using Windows Live Mail, formerly known as Windows Live Mail
>> Desktop, the replacement for Windows Mail and Outlook Express. (Windows
>> XP shipped with Outlook Express, Vista shipped with Windows Mail, 7
>> ships without a mail client; on Vista and 7 at least, Windows Live Mail
>> can be installed as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack, along with
>> Live Messenger.)
>>
>> Yes, this is confusing and Microsoft should really have chosen a unique
>> name rather than recycling one from a related and easily-confusable
>> product!
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have no idea whether Publisher works with Windows Live
>> Mail, or how to get it to do so if it doesn't by default. My gut
>> instinct would be "No" and "You can't", since Publisher is very picky
>> about which mail clients it works with.
>>
>> Johanna, do you have Outlook available? (It needs to be the same version
>> as your Publisher version.)
>>
>> --
>> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>> http://ed.mvps.org
>> .

0
Mary
11/16/2009 1:51:09 PM
In Publisher 2003 there is no email option in the mail merge.

Select Tools - Mail and Catalog Merge - Mail and Catalog Merge Wisard.
Select a merge type - "Mail Merge" or "Catalog Merge" - I selected Mail Merge.
Select data source - I have the contacts in Excel so I selected "Use an
existing list".
Found the data source.
Create you publication - I already have one.
Preview your publication - See the recipients and publication.
Complete the merge - "Print", "Create new publication", "Add to existing
publication" are the only options - no option to "Email".

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> The email merge is available in 2003. It very well could be your issues are
> with the trial version.
>
> Answer Box: Use e-mail contacts in Publisher mail merge
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA011187801033.aspx
>
> Troubleshoot mail merge in Publisher
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP030662451033.aspx
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Johanna" <Johanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Basically, I have Vista which comes with Windows Mail - intended to
> > replace
> > Outlook.  However, I use Windows Live Mail as my mail client (i.e. the
> > desktop version) - but that was recommended as a replacement for Outlook
> > Express earlier this year.
> >
> > So I was trying to use either of these as my email client when using the
> > email merge funciton in Publisher 2007 (function not available in 2003).
> > According to Help, Windows Mail is a valid option as your default email
> > client for the Publisher email merge function.  However, I have tested
> > that
> > Windows Mail is my default email client but Publisher does not recognize
> > it -
> > always gives the error that it has to be Outlook or Outlook Express.
> >
> > I have Office 2003, but downloaded trial verison of Publisher 2007 since
> > the
> > email merge function is not available in Publisher 2003.  So I have
> > Outlook
> > 2003, but Publisher 2007 does not work with Outlook 2003.  Therefore,
> > Outlook
> > does not work either!

> >> I think you're thinking of Windows Live Hotmail, formerly known as
> >> Windows Live Mail.
> >>
> >> Johanna is using Windows Live Mail, formerly known as Windows Live Mail
> >> Desktop, the replacement for Windows Mail and Outlook Express. (Windows
> >> XP shipped with Outlook Express, Vista shipped with Windows Mail, 7
> >> ships without a mail client; on Vista and 7 at least, Windows Live Mail
> >> can be installed as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack, along with
> >> Live Messenger.)
> >>
> >> Yes, this is confusing and Microsoft should really have chosen a unique
> >> name rather than recycling one from a related and easily-confusable
> >> product!
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I have no idea whether Publisher works with Windows Live
> >> Mail, or how to get it to do so if it doesn't by default. My gut
> >> instinct would be "No" and "You can't", since Publisher is very picky
> >> about which mail clients it works with.
> >>
> >> Johanna, do you have Outlook available? (It needs to be the same version
> >> as your Publisher version.)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> >> http://ed.mvps.org
> >> .
> >>

> .

Exchange 2007/spam/windows mobile
I have just installed Exchange Server 2007 and have moved a couple of mailboxes over to it for testing. I am using the Anti-spam built into EX2007. When a mailbox receives spam, it goes to the Junk Mail folder in Outlook, but it is hitting the Inbox first. I have a Windows Mobile device setup to sync to the Inbox (I checked to make sure that the Junk Email folder is not selected and it is not). I have 2 different problems, but I believe they both are related. The first... when the spam message hit my mailbox, they are first hitting my inbox real quick and then being moved the Junk ...

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

create email newsletter with pictures and hyperlinks using publis
I want to create an email newsletter in publisher that will contain pictures and hyperlinks. Basically, I can do this right in my yahoo email but I can't get the fancy formats like those in publisher. What type of file should I save it as and then how do link it to the email. I've tried doing this several ways including saving it as a webpage or jpg file, publishing the page, and then copying it to the email text --- but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong here? "John Downing" <JohnDowning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49470DF6-A4...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

Windows 7 disk drive problem.
January 23, 2010 Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP Windows 7 disk drive to my hard drive and visa versa. When I got HP support to try to solve the problem my computer crashed. It took them an hour of remote control to get it back running without the original problem of the disk drive resolved. Does anyone know how to do it. Thank you. Gerald On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:21:00 GMT, Gerald Hansen <ghansen@tds.net> wrote: >January 23, 2010 > >Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP >Win...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

used laptops
If you are interested in buying a laptop then you should be aware of the aspects of laptops such as their processor category, the storage capacity, size of the screen as well as battery durability and so on because if you know the importance of these components of laptops then you would be able to make a right choice for you. There are many laptop brands available on market and Sony is one of those famous laptop brands and it is celebrated for its excellence, looks as well as performance. Their laptop models are elegant as well as are a hit among the crowd. The laptops offered by this brand ar...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Component Where Used Report for Sales
Hello: I know that there are some Component Where Used Reports for GP Manufacturing. But, is there a way to have those reports show for each component the amount of sales made for that component for the year? Thanks! childofthe1980s ...

How can I resume a download if the user gets disconnected (I am using CHTMLfile )?
How can I resume a download if the user gets disconnected (I am using CHTMLfile )? I use Seek() but I think that isnt good idea, becouse when I want to set a start point, Seek goes to exeption In the bottom is my code thanks for any kind of help if (!destFile.Open(pFileName, CFile::modeWrite | CFile::shareExclusive | CFile::modeNoTruncate, &ex)) { destFile.Open(pFileName, CFile::modeWrite | CFile::shareExclusive | CFile::modeCreate, &ex); dwLength = 0; } else { dwLength = destFile.GetLength(); } CInternetSession *pHttpSess...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...

cannot receive mail, delete mail, or send mail. get an error message.
Now I know why I switch between Outlook Express and Outlook: Both cease to function at one point in time. In Outlook 2000, I cannot receive mail; I cannot delete mail; I cannot use the calendar function. Here are the messages: When I click receive mail, I get: C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed.access denied. and: (Account:'incoming.verizon.net',PPO3server:'incoming.verizo n.net',error number:0x800040116). I cannot delete. I get the following message:C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook ..pst could not be accessed...