Mail and Catalog merge problems

This is a two part question.  The first part concerns an error and the second
part is seeking advice.

First the error:

I am trying to create a data source for use in a catalog merge.  No matter
what method I use, even using "Create Address List" from Publisher's Tools
menu, I get an error dialog saying:

"The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine
failures.  Please try again later."

What causes this and how do I correct it?  I would like to be able to
connect to a SQL 2005 database for merge data.

Now the request for advice:

I am creating a multiple category catalog for multiple clients.  Some
clients want to include product mix a, b and c while others want to include
b, f, g and k.

My concept was to creat each category as a separate publication and combine
the files together at publication time.  That appears to be a fairly
difficult and time consuming process though so I'm re-examining that idea.

Another thought I had was to create a template and store the content as
separate Word documents and import the documents as needed to create the
final publication for each client.

Are there any other methods of accomplishing what I am trying to do?

The problem with using the second method is that I would like to use the
catalog merge function but until I can get past the data source error above
that method is out, making the manual import the only option for now.

I have too many clients and too much customization with each order to
continue manual creation on a long term basis.  In addition, a single client
may change their category mix with every catalog order making it even harder
to maintain over time.

--
Thanks,
Dan

This article, although being for Word 2002, still addresses your issue with the
standard solution. Your MDAC needs updating or you have a corrupt component.
Could be your Jet 4.0 as well.

"Operation could not be completed because of dialog or database engine failure"
error message when you try to perform a mail merge
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322215/en-us

There is a very good training course for catalog merge. If you examine step 5 in
the catalog merge wizard, you will see you can combine publications.
http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010779101033
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> This is a two part question.  The first part concerns an error and the second
> part is seeking advice.
>
> First the error:
>
> I am trying to create a data source for use in a catalog merge.  No matter
> what method I use, even using "Create Address List" from Publisher's Tools
> menu, I get an error dialog saying:
>
> "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine
> failures.  Please try again later."
>
> What causes this and how do I correct it?  I would like to be able to
> connect to a SQL 2005 database for merge data.
>
> Now the request for advice:
>
> I am creating a multiple category catalog for multiple clients.  Some
> clients want to include product mix a, b and c while others want to include
> b, f, g and k.
>
> My concept was to creat each category as a separate publication and combine
> the files together at publication time.  That appears to be a fairly
> difficult and time consuming process though so I'm re-examining that idea.
>
> Another thought I had was to create a template and store the content as
> separate Word documents and import the documents as needed to create the
> final publication for each client.
>
> Are there any other methods of accomplishing what I am trying to do?
>
> The problem with using the second method is that I would like to use the
> catalog merge function but until I can get past the data source error above
> that method is out, making the manual import the only option for now.
>
> I have too many clients and too much customization with each order to
> continue manual creation on a long term basis.  In addition, a single client
> may change their category mix with every catalog order making it even harder
> to maintain over time.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Dan

0
mary-sauer (6480)
Thanks,
Dan

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> This article, although being for Word 2002, still addresses your issue with the
> standard solution. Your MDAC needs updating or you have a corrupt component.
> Could be your Jet 4.0 as well.
>
> "Operation could not be completed because of dialog or database engine failure"
> error message when you try to perform a mail merge
>
> There is a very good training course for catalog merge. If you examine step 5 in
> the catalog merge wizard, you will see you can combine publications.
> http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010779101033
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a two part question.  The first part concerns an error and the second
> > part is seeking advice.
> >
> > First the error:
> >
> > I am trying to create a data source for use in a catalog merge.  No matter
> > what method I use, even using "Create Address List" from Publisher's Tools
> > menu, I get an error dialog saying:
> >
> > "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine
> > failures.  Please try again later."
> >
> > What causes this and how do I correct it?  I would like to be able to
> > connect to a SQL 2005 database for merge data.
> >
> > Now the request for advice:
> >
> > I am creating a multiple category catalog for multiple clients.  Some
> > clients want to include product mix a, b and c while others want to include
> > b, f, g and k.
> >
> > My concept was to creat each category as a separate publication and combine
> > the files together at publication time.  That appears to be a fairly
> > difficult and time consuming process though so I'm re-examining that idea.
> >
> > Another thought I had was to create a template and store the content as
> > separate Word documents and import the documents as needed to create the
> > final publication for each client.
> >
> > Are there any other methods of accomplishing what I am trying to do?
> >
> > The problem with using the second method is that I would like to use the
> > catalog merge function but until I can get past the data source error above
> > that method is out, making the manual import the only option for now.
> >
> > I have too many clients and too much customization with each order to
> > continue manual creation on a long term basis.  In addition, a single client
> > may change their category mix with every catalog order making it even harder
> > to maintain over time.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Dan

0
Dan4650 (795)

moving 450 active e-mail addresses from Excel to Outlook Express
i want to copy 450 E-mail addresses(active) from Excel to Outlook Express where they will be used to form various Groups. How do I copy/move these addresses? Hi AFAIK Outlook can import *.csv files -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ragman10" <ragman10@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EE7E24D0-B7EE-4741-8B2F-D00223A3916C@microsoft.com... > i want to copy 450 E-mail addresses(active) from Excel to Outlook Express > where they will be used to form various Groups. How do I copy/move these > addresses? ...

Entourage
How can I auto delete mail I have identified as junk mail? Create a junk mail rule. It will automatically delete mail identified as junk by the Junk Mail Filter and your own rules, but you'll need to run the rule manually on mail you manually mark as junk. <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/rules/rules_junk.html#Anchor-Basic-49575> On 9/20/03 2:56 PM, in article BB926164.6CFF%DPTYLER@NTLWORLD.COM, "DAVID TYLER" <DPTYLER@NTLWORLD.COM> wrote: > How can I auto delete mail I have identified as junk mail? > -- Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac) PowerPo...

CRM-Exchange E-mail Router -- Undeliverable
I am trying to setup a new installation of CRM 3.0 with the CRM-Exchange E-mail Router. The installation had no errors. I setup a standard user account and mailbox to work with the CRM Router. I then used the "Rules Wizard" to apply the forwarding rules to my two CRM user accounts. The forwarding is working, but the emails that are forwarded to the CRM Router mailbox are ending up in the "Undeliverable" folder and obviously not getting into the CRM database. Any guidence would be appreciated. Thank you. Bill Actually had the same issue. Still hasn't been r...

Mail flow-please help
The problem is: when a user in our exchange environment send an internet email the email routes from the exchange server to the routing gallery within our company. The routing gallery is not exchange servers its Unix servers. The problem for us is the emails are not going out through the routing gallery they are going out to the internet without going through our routing gallery. PLease ignore "AJ" <ajohnso9@jcpenney.com> wrote in message news:ObqFH1qOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > The problem is: when a user in our exchange environment send an internet > email...

E-Mail Address Recipient Policy
Environment is win2k3/Exchange 2k3. I'm hosting three smtp domains (company1.com, company2.com, and company3.com). My default active-directory domain is company.local. I have created a new RECIPIENT POLICY for each of the new domains (in addition to the default recipient policy that is already there. On each of the new recipient policies, I created the appropriate smtp domain (e.g. @company1.com, etc.). The question is, what do I do with the DEFAULT smtp domain (company.local) that is included in all three of my NEW recipient policies? Am I supposed to remove it, or do I j...

Set outlook as default mail client
When using Word 2007, get message to set outlook as default client. The instructions say go to tools, options, other, general. Then make outlook the default program for E-mail, contacts, and calendar. Problem: There is no general tab. I am trying to import contacts from Outlook to Word to make labels "Lou" <Lou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D857A80-337A-42F6-B3E1-8F2555AF1548@microsoft.com... > When using Word 2007, get message to set outlook as default client. The > instructions say go to tools, options, other, general. Then m...

Troubleshooting "Rules"
Hi, I am trying to cope with spam by creating rules from messages in my Junk folder. I am hilighting the message and then selecting either the "From" option or the "Subject" option. All seems to go well up to that point. However . . . After clicking OK and then selecting "run this rule in this folder now", the only message that is deleted is the one that I am using to create the rule, instead of going through the whole Junk folder, as expected. Another problem that I am having is with the Search funciton. Again in my failaing efforts to cope with over...

PropertyPage and ActiveX problems
Hello, As for now I was able to handle all problems by myslef, but now I don't know what's going on. * I created another property page for my activex control, evrything was fine untill I included a richedit box in my property page. Since then property page object receives WM_DESTROY on the begginig (when you choose it in property window). The problem dissaperars when I remove the rich edit control. What's the problem? I'm not sure but there was something about it in the comments, but I can't remember where (something like "When inserting a CRichEdit control remember t...

XML Merge/Diff tool?

Cannot send mail to some domains. 4.4.7 error
Hello, Some of my users are trying to send mail from my single Exchange 2003 server to certain domains and the messages get held up in the queue. They sit there for the maximum time of 72 hours and then the user gets a 4.4.7 error, which when researched states an error typically with the recipients end. I am somewhat confused, as I can telnet, ping and connect and find all details of these domains and all other mail from other domains does get through, yet mine doesn't. I am using an SMTP connector. A DNSreport on my site shows no errors. I use a Watchguard firewall. Any suggestions w...

Windows Mail
I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to create an association for the program I am trying to open, (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations, but dont know what to do after that. Help You really should have opened your own thread . . . . . Go to Start - Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs - see list of programs on left - select Windows Mail - on right, just below the "pane", you should see "This program has all its defaults". If not, select the second green arrow at bottom, "Choose d...

POP3 problem with Exchange 2000 #2
Hi folks I am really hoping someone can help me out here I am running a windows 2000 server with exchange 2000. The server is partitioned as follows; C:\ 5.13GB, D:\ Exchange 49.2, E:\ 49.7, 32.2GB unallocated. I had the AV originally on C:\ but moved it to E:\ this morning. There is also a plug-in for exchange installed as part of the AV suite. Users can send ok, the problem is in receiving email. I looked at ESM and in POP3 current connections it shows a list of users trying to send email If I reboot the server, everything is fine for a while and then the problem recurs. There doesnt s...

Problem with Outlook sending attachments endlessly #2
One of my PCs is having a problem sending attachments through Outloo XP. When sending attachments of even moderate size (~750kb), th attachment is sent and then queued again and then sent and then .... Outlook endlessly sends the attachment, flooding my poor recipients. I have tried two completely different SMTP servers with the sam result. The odd thing is that my other PC, also with Outlook X installed, has no problems sending attachments. Any ideas on this one? After queuing an email with an attachment thi morning, I came back from lunch and found that it had sent the sam email 78 tim...

Problem opening .vsd file with included .vss file with Visio viewer
Dear lazyweb, We have a .vsd file that gives the following error when opening it with Internet Explorer / Visio viewer: The Microsoft Office Visio Viewer was not able to complete the operation. Other visio files don't give the error. The file opens in Visio. I can see that the .vsd file also opens two .vss files. I can see that in the Window menu. I googled and found out that .vss are "stencil" files - are these embedded inside a .vsd file?? One of the .vss files is probably a "visio default" file, the other is most certainly created here on site, judging by the filena...

Problems with SearchInRange() macro
MS Excel 97 SR-2 Having problems with the implementation for SearchInRange(AS13,'\Obsolescence\[obsolete-list.xls]A'!$C1:$C10,1,1) 1) Can't get the search() worksheet function to work in the macro 2) Debugger has quit on me. Point 2 first: I have had an excel crash, tried to change the name of a watch variable by editing it. Since restarting Excel, the VBA debugger does not respect my breakpoints in SearchInRange(). Am loathe to restart the PC - is there a reason for this, and more importantly, a workaround? Point 1: I cannot step over a line of the form result = searc...

Mail enabling
Hello, I created a folder named " headoffice " and under that folder a folder "Sales" I enabled the email option and created a SMTP e-mail address. Wenn I send a mail within the organisation the mail will be received in the sales box. BUT wenn I send a mail from home it will not be received !!!! What can be the problem ??? Regards, Henk The Sales Folder must be visible from the GAL. In the Folder under Exchange Advanced Tab properties uncheck the box "Hide from Exchange Address List". -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certifie...

Trouble in sending mails
I am having difficulty in sending mails from Out look. HTTP does not accept the Metho -- vibhuti_joshi@hotmail.co Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i vibhuti_joshi@hotmail.com <vibhuti_joshihotmail.com.276if5@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote: > I am having difficulty in sending mails from Out look. > HTTP does not accept the Method Care to be less vague? What version of Outlook? What type of account? What is the exact text of any error messages? -- Brian Tillman ...

Date format to Text Date for use in Mail Merge
I have everyone's start date in a column. I'd like to create another column with their start date in text so that I can then use it in a mail merge for their certificates. I've got it converted but the MM/DD/YYYY is behind the scenes and when I do the merge that comes over versus Month Day, Year. Any help? hi Erinayn, This formula may help... =TEXT(a2,"mm/dd/yyyy") I haven't used mail merge before, but if you can't resolve it using formulae in the spreadsheet, you may be able to temporarily change your system settings under Windows Start Men...

Custom user function sheet recalculate problem
Hi All, I have a custom user function called in many cells in my spreadshee much like -=getdata(ref1,ref2)- which works great! Within this functio a call is made to an SQL database to retrieve one piece information an return it to the spreadsheet. Althought it seems really quick for on cell its obviously a major overhead for many cells. Currently 100 cell updates takes about 15 secs which is actually not bad when it happening only once. However we will run large and complicate spreadsheets with perhaps many times more data being refreshe regularly in different ways. What I want to achive ...

Problem Backing Up PST Files
Using the Backup Tool Plug-In, I want to change the destination to a non-C drive in my system (now called "E:\"). When I browse to and try to change the backup folder to the non-C drive location, I get an error message, "C:\Documents and Settings\[USERFILE]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook backup.pst ..." What gives? And C:\Documents and Settings\[USERFILE]\Local Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook backup.pst Is the entire err msg? And if you simply type the location/file in the File location box? "Joooles_M...

Problem installing Money Plus
I downloaded Money Plus. I've used money for about seven years (2001, 2003 and 2006). When I try to install, it says some components were not install, try reinstalling money. What can I do? In microsoft.public.money, awchap wrote: >I downloaded Money Plus. I've used money for about seven years (2001, 2003 >and 2006). > >When I try to install, it says some components were not install, try >reinstalling money. What can I do? Let's guess you are using XP. I would try creating a new XP user with Administrator privilege. Start->Settings->ControlPanel-&...

Outlook 2000 Rules Wizard: handling sent mail
Hello - I am trying to set up outlook 2000 rules to MOVE mail sent by me from the SENT folder - into a subdivided folder. This works - but it leaves a copy of the mail in SENT. Ideal situation. MOVE sent message to Folder and remove it from SENT. How can I faciliate this? thanks On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:19:47 -0700, "stephen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello - > >I am trying to set up outlook 2000 rules to MOVE mail sent >by me from the SENT folder - into a subdivided folder. >This works - but it leaves a copy of the mail in SENT....

Activex problem
Hi all This may have been asked before, although I've searched the last week or so and haven't found it, so if I've missed a similar post I apologise. Windows XP with all SP's, updates etc. applied Office 2003 - Outlook 2003. When I open some emails I get the following message: "One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either: 1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or 2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls. As a result, the page may not display correctly" This has only started happeni...

Exchange cant receive a BCC mail
Hi all, i have Exchange 5.5 and when i receive mail containing the adresse in the Blind carbon copy(BCC) destination, exchange cant make tails of it. It cant know to whom it is intended too. It send it to the admin(me) because it cant read the BCC field. My exchange is in english but my client are all in french Is there a trick? Thanks Noliping This shouldn't be happening ....can you reproduce the problem yourself, such as from a Yahoo or Hotmail account? Noliping wrote: > Hi all, i have Exchange 5.5 and when i receive mail containing the > adresse in the Blind carbon copy(BCC...

Outgoing mail does not go,
Outgoing mail does not go, but test message to myself goes and is recieved in my inbox. "Jimmiecliff" <Jimmiecliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBFF56C0-6E18-4FCC-BEBD-A59777769D33@microsoft.com... > Outgoing mail does not go, but test message to myself goes and is recieved > in > my inbox. When you click Send/Receive, what happens? Any error messages? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Jimmiecliff wrote: > Outgoing mail does not go, but test message to myself goes and is recieved in > my inbox. And just how do you ...