link .pub files

I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has
illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes.  I now want
to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete
book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this!
Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import
that into a new .pub file.  But that does not deal with the pictures, which
all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position.
there MUST be a better way!  Or is it another problem with Publisher, like
the inability to print odd and even pages on a normal A4 printer that other
software allows!
0
greenman (5)

You can copy and paste from one Publication into another. Just open multiple
instances of Publisher. This will retain all formatting.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.
"greenman" <greenman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each
>has
> illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes.  I now
> want
> to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the
> complete
> book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this!
> Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import
> that into a new .pub file.  But that does not deal with the pictures,
> which
> all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position.
> there MUST be a better way!  Or is it another problem with Publisher, like
> the inability to print odd and even pages on a normal A4 printer that
> other
> software allows!

0
bkvalheim1 (519)
10/21/2005 1:27:11 PM
Thanks for that hint - it certainly helps but I don't seem to be able to
Select the Whole file for pasting across - only page by page!  or am I being
stupid?

"greenman" wrote:

> I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has
> illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes.  I now want
> to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete
> book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this!
> Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import
> that into a new .pub file.  But that does not deal with the pictures, which
> all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position.
> there MUST be a better way!  Or is it another problem with Publisher, like
> the inability to print odd and even pages on a normal A4 printer that other
> software allows!
0
greenman (5)
10/21/2005 1:46:03 PM
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:10:02 +0100, greenman wrote
(in article <79D4C687-CE8D-47D6-A2F4-A7280061D1B3@microsoft.com>):

> I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has

> illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes.  I now want
> to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete
> book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this!
> Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import
> that into a new .pub file.  But that does not deal with the pictures, which
> all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position.
> there MUST be a better way!  Or is it another problem with Publisher, like
> the inability to print odd and even pages on a normal A4 printer that other
> software allows!

Methinks you need to learn what DTP is. It is *NOT* word processing. It is
layout and design. If you want to word process, use Word. If you want to
layout a book, then use Publisher.

As Publisher doesn't support footnotes/endnotes you'd be better off keeping
it in Word and adding the pictures to the Word document. I have done this
successfully in the past.

Why on *EARTH* would you need to print odd and even from a DTP application is
beyond me. I have been doing DTP for nearly 20 years and I have *never* in
all that time, needed to print odd and even. Suggest you learn the
differences between DTP and word processing. It's blatantly obvious you don't
know the difference.

Had you bothered to STFW, you'd have known how to combine Publisher files,
but I see you're another who can't wipe their own arse.  Copy and paste, I
would have thought that even you could have worked that out.

The problem isn't with Publisher. The problem is 24" from the screen.

I suppose being offensive turns you on.  Of course I hve STFW - also SFMS and
most other FSengines.  You may be able to copy a whole publisher file into a
blank one - I can't.  And I often print both sides in DTP - try a folded
booklet, printed on A4: who wants masses of blank sides?  Serif handles this
beautifully.

"magrat_garlick@hotmail.com" wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:10:02 +0100, greenman wrote
> (in article <79D4C687-CE8D-47D6-A2F4-A7280061D1B3@microsoft.com>):
>
> > I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has
>
> > illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes.  I now want
> > to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete
> > book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this!
> > Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import
> > that into a new .pub file.  But that does not deal with the pictures, which
> > all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position.
> > there MUST be a better way!  Or is it another problem with Publisher, like
> > the inability to print odd and even pages on a normal A4 printer that other
> > software allows!
>
> Methinks you need to learn what DTP is. It is *NOT* word processing. It is
> layout and design. If you want to word process, use Word. If you want to
> layout a book, then use Publisher.
>
> As Publisher doesn't support footnotes/endnotes you'd be better off keeping
> it in Word and adding the pictures to the Word document. I have done this
> successfully in the past.
>
> Why on *EARTH* would you need to print odd and even from a DTP application is
> beyond me. I have been doing DTP for nearly 20 years and I have *never* in
> all that time, needed to print odd and even. Suggest you learn the
> differences between DTP and word processing. It's blatantly obvious you don't
> know the difference.
>
> Had you bothered to STFW, you'd have known how to combine Publisher files,
> but I see you're another who can't wipe their own arse.  Copy and paste, I
> would have thought that even you could have worked that out.
>

> The problem isn't with Publisher. The problem is 24" from the screen.

0
greenman (5)
10/21/2005 3:25:05 PM
greenman wrote:
> Thanks for that hint - it certainly helps but I don't seem to be able
> to Select the Whole file for pasting across - only page by page!  or
> am I being stupid?

Page by Page is your only option. Sorry.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim1 (519)
10/21/2005 8:16:38 PM
Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
> greenman wrote:
>> Thanks for that hint - it certainly helps but I don't seem to be able
>> to Select the Whole file for pasting across - only page by page!  or
>> am I being stupid?
>
> Page by Page is your only option. Sorry.

I should say also, if you have Adobe Acrobat, you could output the files via
PDF, then use Acrobat to merge the pages.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim1 (519)
10/21/2005 8:24:19 PM
Brain - many thanks for your help.  I'll hack it somehow - but it would be
nice if a future version of Publisher did it for me!

"Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

> Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
> > greenman wrote:
> >> Thanks for that hint - it certainly helps but I don't seem to be able
> >> to Select the Whole file for pasting across - only page by page!  or
> >> am I being stupid?
> >
> > Page by Page is your only option. Sorry.
>
> I should say also, if you have Adobe Acrobat, you could output the files via
> PDF, then use Acrobat to merge the pages.
>
> --
> Brian Kvalheim
> Microsoft Publisher MVP
> http://www.publishermvps.com

> confers no rights.

0
greenman (5)
10/21/2005 11:20:04 PM
You're gonna end up with pdf's for the printer anyway...why bother putting
them all together in Publisher?
I'd just output each pub chapter to pdf and let the printer deal with the
rest. The last time I did a book (actually a phone directory thing) I
wrestled with pagination for days and the printer just ended up taking it
all apart anyway...so to speak.

| Brain - many thanks for your help.  I'll hack it somehow - but it would be
| nice if a future version of Publisher did it for me!
|
| "Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP]" wrote:
|
| > Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
| > >
| > > Page by Page is your only option. Sorry.
| >
| > I should say also, if you have Adobe Acrobat, you could output the files
via
| > PDF, then use Acrobat to merge the pages.
| >
| > --
| > Brian Kvalheim
| > Microsoft Publisher MVP
| > http://www.publishermvps.com
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
| > confers no rights.

0
webmaster911 (1600)

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

Linked Forms

Links not linking

how to know the reason of a failure of file opening?
Hi, After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whether it fails because the target file is used by other programs? Your help is appreciated. Tony ::GetLastError() will return the error code. ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED can indicate several types of access failures, but I believe it is the code returned if the file is opened exclusive already (it doesn't have to be another program; even trying to open it a second time in your own app will fail) joe On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:39:52 -0700, May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote: >Hi, > >After CFile::Open(...) fails, how to know whethe...

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

end of file reached
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp <br> any ideas what this error is ? <br> and how to cure On 1/27/10 9:56 AM, in article 59bb1b90.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "markc0@officeformac.com" <markc0@officeformac.com> wrote: > when i try to send an email using imap account, using smtp > any ideas what this error is ? > and how to cure The file that has reached it's end is often the preferences file. Move the 'Microsoft...

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

links

OPENING FILE
I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AND CAN IT BE FIXED? find someone with xl2002 - this has a built in repair facility. You file has probably become corrupted. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy RUSS KING <WRCING2@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:03d201c36ab0$c7ba2780$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I SUDDENLY CANNOT OPEN A FILE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR > OVER A YEAR. GETTING MESSAGE THIS IS A "READ ONLY" OR MAY > HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED.....WHAT HAPPENED, AN...

can I display the file name of the imported text file in another c
When I refresh data and select a file I would like that file name displayed in another cell because within the file name is a date & time stamp relating to the contents. For example if the imported filename is count_200505110035.csv then I want a cell in the worksheet to display count_200505110035.csv. Any ideas welcomed please? ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

Vista - Money 2005 Cannot open file
Installed Money Standard 2005 on new Vista Machine. Foillowed the following instructions; == Install Money 2005 by right-clicking Setup.exe from your CD and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Find the sample.mny file in your install folder. That may be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005". Copy sample.mny file to your Documents folder in Vista. In Windows Explorer, right-click that file and choose RunAsAdministrator. It will do an update. Close Money. Reboot the computer. Then open Money and check that Help->About... says you then have version 14.0.*.1105. M...

Chart template and links

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

"Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet throws "not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file" error.
Hi, I am trying to use "Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet to fetch "File Share Witness" property of CCR cluster. But when I run this command no "Exchange Management Shell" I am getting "The term 'Get- ClusterResource' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again." error. Any idea why I am getting this error? Do I need to add any "PSSnapin" via Add-PSSnapin cmdlet ? If so which one it is? Basically I am not able to run any of the cluster related GET cmdlets on Exchange Managem...

Access: Please wait while Setup prepares the neccessary files
Hi. I created a form in MS Access 2007 Enterprise Edition. I added a chart to it with a query as a record source. Everytime when I open the form, the wizard starts, saying "Please wait while Setup prepares the neccessary files" and soon the message "Configuring Microsoft Access Enterprise..." follows. It is annoying to see this everytime I try to use the form. Is there any particular reason for such a behaviour of the Access? Regards, Vedran. Hi Vedran, I suspect that some registry setting is not being written if you open the database as a normal user. By chance are y...

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

open a non-office file using cell data from excel
can I open a non-office file using cell data from excel. I want to use data calculated within excel, which I have then put into a string, to then be used to open the file, to which that string refers. Have a look in vba help for SHELL -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "dcauldwell" <dcauldwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88B01B4E-7CFD-455D-B4AC-FD7E000F8B66@microsoft.com... > can I open a non-office file using cell data from excel. > I want to use data calculated within excel, which I have then put into a > string, to t...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...