Increase the resolution of a picture in a pdf/ publisher document

I created an ad in publisher, which included our logo, converted it to a PDF
document and submitted it to the company. They informed me that the logo was
not the same "high resolution" and would not print as clearly as the rest of
the document. How do I fix the resolution of the logo. I have a copy of the
logo in Microsoft Picture Manager also. Please help I am new at this.

Thanks
0
Pick (6)

You can't increase the resolution and not end up with crap. (I couldn't find
a nicer word, sorry.)

The part that doesn't make sense is that the entire ad is the same
resolution in the end. What format is your logo in?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created an ad in publisher, which included our logo, converted it to a
>PDF
> document and submitted it to the company. They informed me that the logo
> was
> not the same "high resolution" and would not print as clearly as the rest
> of
> the document. How do I fix the resolution of the logo. I have a copy of
> the
> logo in Microsoft Picture Manager also. Please help I am new at this.
>
> Thanks

0
jl_paules (2767)
9/8/2006 5:48:14 PM
The logo is in Microsoft Picture Manager. I am a new employee here and most
of the artwork etc. for recruitment were created before I started. If I
convert the logo to a PDF will that help? Thanks for your help
Pick
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> You can't increase the resolution and not end up with crap. (I couldn't find
> a nicer word, sorry.)
>
> The part that doesn't make sense is that the entire ad is the same
> resolution in the end. What format is your logo in?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I created an ad in publisher, which included our logo, converted it to a
> >PDF
> > document and submitted it to the company. They informed me that the logo
> > was
> > not the same "high resolution" and would not print as clearly as the rest
> > of
> > the document. How do I fix the resolution of the logo. I have a copy of
> > the
> > logo in Microsoft Picture Manager also. Please help I am new at this.
> >
> > Thanks

0
Pick (6)
9/8/2006 6:06:02 PM
I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I meant
the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
way.

Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)

When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file name
below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension (the
part after the dot)?

--

> The logo is in Microsoft Picture Manager. I am a new employee here and
> most
> of the artwork etc. for recruitment were created before I started. If I
> convert the logo to a PDF will that help? Thanks for your help
> Pick
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can't increase the resolution and not end up with crap. (I couldn't
>> find
>> a nicer word, sorry.)
>>
>> The part that doesn't make sense is that the entire ad is the same
>> resolution in the end. What format is your logo in?
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I created an ad in publisher, which included our logo, converted it to a
>> >PDF
>> > document and submitted it to the company. They informed me that the
>> > logo
>> > was
>> > not the same "high resolution" and would not print as clearly as the
>> > rest
>> > of
>> > the document. How do I fix the resolution of the logo. I have a copy of
>> > the
>> > logo in Microsoft Picture Manager also. Please help I am new at this.
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
jl_paules (2767)
9/8/2006 6:26:21 PM
It is a jpeg file.
Thanks

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I meant
> the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
> way.
>
> Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
> for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)
>
> When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file name
> below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension (the
> part after the dot)?
>

> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The logo is in Microsoft Picture Manager. I am a new employee here and
> > most
> > of the artwork etc. for recruitment were created before I started. If I
> > convert the logo to a PDF will that help? Thanks for your help
> > Pick
> > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can't increase the resolution and not end up with crap. (I couldn't
> >> find
> >> a nicer word, sorry.)
> >>
> >> The part that doesn't make sense is that the entire ad is the same
> >> resolution in the end. What format is your logo in?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>

> >> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Pick (6)
9/8/2006 6:36:02 PM
Okay - right click on the file name and select Properties. On the right it
will give you several specs about that file. Beside Picture Properties is
the word "More". Click on that. Near the bottom, it will tell you what the
resolution of that file is. What does it say?

--

> It is a jpeg file.
> Thanks
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I
>> meant
>> the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
>> way.
>>
>> Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
>> for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)
>>
>> When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file
>> name
>> below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension
>> (the
>> part after the dot)?
>>

>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The logo is in Microsoft Picture Manager. I am a new employee here and
>> > most
>> > of the artwork etc. for recruitment were created before I started. If I
>> > convert the logo to a PDF will that help? Thanks for your help
>> > Pick

0
jl_paules (2767)
9/8/2006 6:43:11 PM
Right-click the logo in Publisher, click save as picture, see if the image will
save at 300 dpi. Can you recreate the logo, is it complex? Is there a web site
with the logo?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is a jpeg file.
> Thanks
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I meant
>> the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
>> way.
>>
>> Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
>> for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)
>>
>> When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file name
>> below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension (the
>> part after the dot)?
>>

>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The logo is in Microsoft Picture Manager. I am a new employee here and
>> > most
>> > of the artwork etc. for recruitment were created before I started. If I
>> > convert the logo to a PDF will that help? Thanks for your help
>> > Pick

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/8/2006 6:46:03 PM
Horizontal resolution = 96 dpi; Veritical resolution = 96 dpi

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> Okay - right click on the file name and select Properties. On the right it
> will give you several specs about that file. Beside Picture Properties is
> the word "More". Click on that. Near the bottom, it will tell you what the
> resolution of that file is. What does it say?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is a jpeg file.
> > Thanks
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I
> >> meant
> >> the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
> >> way.
> >>
> >> Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
> >> for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)
> >>
> >> When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file
> >> name
> >> below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension
> >> (the
> >> part after the dot)?
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>

> >> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Pick (6)
9/8/2006 6:54:02 PM

> Horizontal resolution = 96 dpi; Veritical resolution = 96 dpi

In that case someone at some time has saved the logo as a jpeg. The jpeg
format is a "lossy" format that was specially developed for compressing
typical "photos" and should definitely not be used for saving high
resolution images. A typical company logo would be initially drawn and saved
in a high resolution "drawing" format such as metafile (.wmf) which is
essentially a graphical "description" of the drawing. Do you have access to
the original logo in its original format? Otherwise, it might be that
someone has scanned an original high quality printed logo, in which case
they should have scanned it at the highest native resolutuon that the
scanner can handle and saved it in a lossless format, such as Windows bitmap
(.bmp) or some other lossless format. If you don't have access to the
original drawing, do you have access to a scanned copy such as the one I
have described?

Maureen

0
Mike6174 (65)
9/8/2006 8:37:22 PM
Hi,
It only allows the 150 dpi or 96 dpi (web); I am unable to select the other
options.

Thanks

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Right-click the logo in Publisher, click save as picture, see if the image will
> save at 300 dpi. Can you recreate the logo, is it complex? Is there a web site
> with the logo?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is a jpeg file.
> > Thanks
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't want to know what program you are using to view the file, I meant
> >> the format of the file. I think you are really going about this the hard
> >> way.
> >>
> >> Let me open Picture Manager and walk you thru what I'm asking... (hang on
> >> for a moment, my computer is old and take a few moments)
> >>
> >> When you open PM. do you see your pictures as thumbnails with the file name
> >> below it. For example, logo.jpg. I'm asking what is the file extension (the
> >> part after the dot)?
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>

> >> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Pick (6)
9/8/2006 8:42:02 PM
I will check to see if anyone has the original logo.
Thanks much!

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "Pick" <Pick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Horizontal resolution = 96 dpi; Veritical resolution = 96 dpi
>
> In that case someone at some time has saved the logo as a jpeg. The jpeg
> format is a "lossy" format that was specially developed for compressing
> typical "photos" and should definitely not be used for saving high
> resolution images. A typical company logo would be initially drawn and saved
> in a high resolution "drawing" format such as metafile (.wmf) which is
> essentially a graphical "description" of the drawing. Do you have access to
> the original logo in its original format? Otherwise, it might be that
> someone has scanned an original high quality printed logo, in which case
> they should have scanned it at the highest native resolutuon that the
> scanner can handle and saved it in a lossless format, such as Windows bitmap
> (.bmp) or some other lossless format. If you don't have access to the
> original drawing, do you have access to a scanned copy such as the one I
> have described?
>
> Maureen

0
Pick (6)

Increase size of pie chart within control?
Is there a way to increase the size of a pie chart within its control? I have a limited amount of space in which to display the chart, so the overall size of the control is restricted. But within it there's quite a lot of "wasted" white space and I would like to make the pie itself larger and more legible. Can do, or not? Many thanks CW In design mode, double-click on the chart within the control to select it for editing. Then use the sizing handles to resize the chart area to the size of the control; this does not have to be square. Click on the plot area to select it ...

Problemen met Publisher converteren naar PDF voor professionele publikaties / problems with converting publisher files to PDF for commercial professional printing use
We experience problems with converting publisher files to PDF. We us MS publisher 2003 with the Acrobat Distiller. Our printing company continuously experiences problems accepting our pdf. We use EPS. Is there anybody there that has experienced the same problem and found a solution? We ondervinden problemen met het converteren van bestanden van MS publisher 2003 icm Acrobat distiller naar pdf formaat. Onze drukker kan met de pdf vrij weinig beginnen en moet elke keer losse bestanden ontvangen en geheel opnieuw gaan opmaken. Heeft iemand hier ervaing mee? Simon SiScho <simon.schoonen@per...

How to load a picture when the dialog created?
I wanna show a picture when my dialog created.So I write it in OnInitDialog().But when the dialog come out,I cannot find my picture.Then I try to write my code in OnPaint(),it cannot work. But,when I set a timer in these part like "SetTimer(1,0,NULL)",and write the "draw picture" code in the timer,my picture can be showed now. Why??? :( Where are you trying to create this picture? On the dialog? Is it a splash screen that you want? Look at codeguru/codeproject for samples etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "valkyrie" <valkyrie@enorth.c...

Pasting A Picture
Hi all, I got a customer with a crazy request... He wants to copy a web page into the account screen... I cant retreive the account via Iframe because it does'nt allow to pass records.. is there a way in which I can copy and paste the contents of the site into an iframe or text field?? I know it sounds ridicules but the Customer insists.. and for some reason the Customer is always right.. tnx, Guy S Hu Guy, Are you interested in custom solutions?. Regards, Manick manick.m@hotmail.com "Guy Shokrani" wrote: > Hi all, > > I got a customer with a crazy request...

Email newsletters in Publisher 2003 #2
I already have publisher 2003 and have been asked to create an html newsletter. Problem is some viewers can only see in plain text, and as soon as I make any changes to any of the email newsletter templates, it throws out the text only version and repeats things etc. Can anyone tell me why it's doing this as I'm getting rather annoyed with it now! Thanks You have no control over your viewers settings - some people don't have their browsers enabled to view html email. You can include a message in your email for them to go to a URL where they can view your html message...o...

Lost document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Can anyone help??? <br> I have been working on an excel (Office for Mac) spreadsheet for a week. I have been saving it on my work network which I access from home through 'Shared' on Finder. I finally finished it tonight and saved it but wanted to rename the file. Instead of doing 'Save As' I double clicked file name and re-entered text. However, I think I accidentally used a character which shouldn't be used in filenames &quot;/&quot; and when I clicked enter, the excel file icon a...

picture and data question
I want to have a picture under the data so I can enter data and have both print out. I have the picture in the workbook. Now I need to enter data over the picture. I am sure there is something simple I am missing, but... How would I manage to do this? dave On Jan 20, 1:33 pm, Dave Gerecke <dave.gere...@netconnect.com.au> wrote: > I want to have a picture under the data so I can enter data and have > both print out. > I have the picture in the workbook. > Now I need to enter data over the picture. I am sure there is something > simple I am missing, but... > How would I ...

Possibility to quick modify protected cells in shared documents
I am sharing a workbook with my staff. I am looking for a possibility to change a cell content from specific cell while the other users cannot. (I know you can lock the cells and un-protect, but that's only possible if I disable sharing) The best would be if a password request pop-up appears after I focus on the cell. What is the VBcode if I need it? Bart 2003 Your code won't be able to unprotect a worksheet either--the same rules for sharing applies to it. But you can use: Tools|Protection|Allow users to edit ranges and give that range a password that only you know. You'll ha...

Drivers for percentage increase
I am trying to set up a driver to include in my budget profile so that my managers can select the percentage from a driver and see on each budget line what the outcome will be i.e staff costs may be calculated at 150,000 but if I used my driver to calculate an increase of 3.5% that would change the staff costs to 155,250. Can anyone help? Regards Jo I am not sure what you question is but this may help:- In cell A 2 I have 150,000 In cell B 2 I have 3.5% In cell C 2 I have:- =(A2*B2)+A2 - and this returns 155,250 to cell C 2. If my comments have helped please h...

Publisher 97 #5
I have Windows XP and installed my old version of Publisher 97 but it won't read all the pictures on the disk to add to a publication. Does XP have a problem reading older versions even after they have been installed. I have the same problem with other Office products. There are no issues whatsoever in installing Publisher 97 on XP, or for that matter older versions of Office. I would suggest it is an issue with your CD Rom. Try copying the whole installation CD to your hard drive and install from there and see how you go. -- ...

Publishing locked sheets
I am trying to publish an Excel sheet with locked cells as a web page. Unfortunately, Excel 2002 will not allow this, and insists that I turn off the cell locking before it will convert to html. Is there any way around this, as it is important that some of the cells cannot be edited. If anybody has any advice, I would very much appreciate your help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Problem with sending PO as PDF
I have one user who all of a sudden is not able to email Purchase Orders as PDF. He can do it as text. He can send other reports (such as Service calls) as PDF. All other users can do it either as text or PDF The client is Outlook 2003 and the full Adobe PDF package is installed. Any ideas? TIA What version of GP are you using? What version of Adobe? "Jeff Metcalf" wrote: > I have one user who all of a sudden is not able to email Purchase Orders as > PDF. > He can do it as text. > He can send other reports (such as Service calls) as PDF. > All other users can ...

Publisher 2007 and Outlook's calender
Hi, I've been trying to make a calender with the Publisher, based on the data it Outlook 2007. Is there any automatic way to do it? Thanks ...

to increase quantity
hello everybody, i have a question: i want to use project to calculate the delivery time of a machine component. I know the bill of material and the time of every step (manufacturing, mounting, etc.). I don't have problem to create a gantt for this item: but i have problem when i want to create a gantt for a number greater than one of my item. I think that i have to use a function that increase the duration of each step of the process, but i don't know how. Please help me. thank you -- sentenza ------------------------------------------------------------------------ s...

Default picture frame size
I want to set a default picture frame size, but the "Apply settings to new objects" checkbox in the format picture option is greyed out On 27 Apr 2004 11:11, Rachel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to set a default picture frame size, but the "Apply settings to >new objects" checkbox in the format picture option is greyed out You can't do that with picture frames. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. So if I wan...

publisher 2007 label template
I ama novice Publisher user. I have an A4 sheet of labels 7 cm wide and 3.7 cm high (no margin) . I want to print a small picture and some text on these labels. I cannot find a suitable template for these on my PC nor on the microsoft site. Seaching for the template is made more difficult without knowing the name of this label size. Is somebody able to guide me in the right direction or tell me exactly which template I should be looking for/downloading from the MS download site please? Found your label here http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:5RQjZ2lx0t4J:downloads.toweroffice.co.za/l...

Date Increase
I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a field to enter the date the password was last changed, and another field for the date the password expires, which is every 30 days. Is there anyway i can set the date password expires field to update automatically? The 2nd field is just calculated from the 1st and better left as a calculation in a query rather than a field in a table. There are no triggers at the table level in Access. Dan Wood wrote: >I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a >field to enter...

Scanning photos into publisher
I have Publisher 98 and it won't let you put a frame around the picture you scan into publisher. I want to know if a later version of publisher would allow you to do this & would the scan quality be any better than in 98. Thank you! Have you tried using whatever software came with your scanner? I prefer to scan my photos in first, tweak them with Photoshop Elements, and then insert them in Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jacqueline Kehl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f48801c43dc9$f0c1a580$a101280a@phx.gbl... &g...

motinor resolution
How seriously should I take the system requirement of 1024x768 monitor resolution for Office 2004? In particular, will it work on a 800x600 monitor? Thanks, Alex I have run it on a machine at 800x600 screen resolution. It seemed to work adequately, in that all features worked, but there were some oddities with pop-ups appearing out of place and cut-off text. On 5/19/04 10:09 AM, in article f2be01c43db3$4e030e80$a101280a@phx.gbl, "Alex" <voronov@umn.edu> wrote: > How seriously should I take the system requirement of > 1024x768 monitor resolution for Office 2004? In ...

can I increase excel column numbers to more than 256?
I am trying to analyse tables including more than 256 variables. I cannot transpose them into rows because the program i am using in association with excel (xlstat) takes the columns as the variables. Is there a way to increase the number of the columns?? or is it a fixed specification of the excel worksheet? thank for any help! Yes, it is fixed - you cannot increase the number of columns. You can, of course, split your data up into chunks of 250 columns - the first block of data on row 1, for example, then the next set starting on another row etc. Pete ...

Compress Pictures should be added to Format Picture in Publisher
In Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2003 there is a useful feature called 'Compress Pictures' which can be found in the 'Format Picture' dialog box, and on the Picture toolbar. The feature was added recently to Publisher 2003, in Service Pack 1, but unfortunately the button was only added to the Picture toolbar and not to the 'Format Picture' dialog box as well. Can this be changed in the next service pack so that the UI is consistent? It would also be nice if the same feature could be added to Publisher XP. -- 'Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new crea...

Updates took out Publisher
We have 7 computers at church and our Publisher software no longer opens our latest newsletters. We have 6 Prof. XP's and one Business Vista running Business Suite 2007. Any others having similar problem? -- Al This article explains why you are experiencing failure to open old files. Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool for the 2007 Microsoft Office suite http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954914/en-us -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "PrAl" <PrAl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01EAB8BC-48E0-46E1-858B-09FCBE27D74F@microsoft.com... > We hav...

Microsoft Publisher Greeting Card Contest 2004
Yes, it is that time! Put your best ideas together and create a greeting card with Microsoft Publisher for your chance to win a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional! For more details, check out the following link: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=103 Submit your entries to: contest@publishermvps.com. All entries must be submitted by December 17, 2004. If you have any questions, please let us know by emailing us at contest@publishermvps.com -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS&q...

Increasing alphabectically
Windows XP and Excel 2003 The first time through the program should read: With Active Sheet .First = Sheets("Rates").Range("B2") .Second = Sheets("Rates").Range("B3:B186") End With The next time through the Ranges should read "C2" and "C3:C186" Then next time "D2" and "D3:D186" and so on until it reaches "X2"and "X3:X186" Can someone suggest a good way to do this. Please. You could use index values rather than th...

not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture after 1st time