Images not recognized by IE (or Outlook's browser)

I created a Web page with MS Publisher 2003 that includes two JPEG images. I
can see them just fine with IE6, but when I put the cursor on them and right
click, I do NOT get an image context menu. It's as if they're not there.
This does not happen with other sites, from which I can save images freely.
I tried viewing the site with Outlook 2003 and had the same problem. When I
use Firefox, however, the images behave normally and can be downloaded. I
tried adjusting security, firewalls, etc. but nothing helped. MS browsers do
not recognize the images as images, even though they do display them
properly. Is there some trick to creating sites with d/lable images?

Thanks.

0
zviofer (4)

What is the URL?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Zvi Ofer" <zviofer@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
>I created a Web page with MS Publisher 2003 that includes two JPEG images. I can see
>them just fine with IE6, but when I put the cursor on them and right click, I do NOT
>get an image context menu. It's as if they're not there. This does not happen with
>other sites, from which I can save images freely. I tried viewing the site with
>Outlook 2003 and had the same problem. When I use Firefox, however, the images
>behave normally and can be downloaded. I tried adjusting security, firewalls, etc.
>but nothing helped. MS browsers do not recognize the images as images, even though
>they do display them properly. Is there some trick to creating sites with d/lable
>images?
>
> Thanks.

0
gsauer (5094)
12/21/2005 6:50:18 PM
Sorry, but the right click option to save the picture is disabled by default
in Pub 2003. And no, at this point in time there isn't a way to change that
default.

DavidF

"Zvi Ofer" <zviofer@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
> I created a Web page with MS Publisher 2003 that includes two JPEG images.
> can see them just fine with IE6, but when I put the cursor on them and
right
> click, I do NOT get an image context menu. It's as if they're not there.
> This does not happen with other sites, from which I can save images
freely.
> I tried viewing the site with Outlook 2003 and had the same problem. When
> use Firefox, however, the images behave normally and can be downloaded. I
> tried adjusting security, firewalls, etc. but nothing helped. MS browsers
do
> not recognize the images as images, even though they do display them
> properly. Is there some trick to creating sites with d/lable images?
>
> Thanks.

0
Nope8657 (939)
12/21/2005 8:01:29 PM
> What is the URL?

www.zviofer.com

0
zviofer (4)
12/21/2005 8:09:51 PM
"DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, but the right click option to save the picture is disabled by
> default
> in Pub 2003. And no, at this point in time there isn't a way to change
> that
> default.

But that wouldn't explain why I CAN right click and save images in Firefox
when viewing a Publisher 2003-produced Website. If the images are
downloadable in Firefox, why aren't they downloadable in IE6? When
viewing/editing the site with Publisher, BTW, I can also right click and
edit/save pictures. It's only IE6 and Outlook 2003 that won't do it.

0
zviofer (4)
12/21/2005 8:19:47 PM
I doubt that I can answer your question to your satisfaction, but as I
understand it the coding engine in Pub2003 uses VML and XML code that works
best in IE, and usually does not work well in Firefox. This lack of cross
browser support is a common issue and concern. Apparently it is this 'lack
of cross browser support' that makes it possible for the context menu to
work in Firefox.

Personally I hope the next version will have both better cross browser
support, and make disabling the context menu an option, not the default.

DavidF

> "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, but the right click option to save the picture is disabled by
> > default
> > in Pub 2003. And no, at this point in time there isn't a way to change
> > that
> > default.
>
> But that wouldn't explain why I CAN right click and save images in Firefox
> when viewing a Publisher 2003-produced Website. If the images are
> downloadable in Firefox, why aren't they downloadable in IE6? When
> viewing/editing the site with Publisher, BTW, I can also right click and
> edit/save pictures. It's only IE6 and Outlook 2003 that won't do it.

0
Nope8657 (939)
12/21/2005 9:45:54 PM
Sorry to put this on list, but I have no private E-mail address for DavidF,
whom I'd like to thank for his very helpful explanation. At least I now know
where the incompatibility lies. I bought myself a copy of FrontPage 2003 and
recreated the same page. The images now behave exactly as they should.
Thanks again.

Zvi Ofer

>I doubt that I can answer your question to your satisfaction, but as I
> understand it the coding engine in Pub2003 uses VML and XML code that
> works
> best in IE, and usually does not work well in Firefox. This lack of cross
> browser support is a common issue and concern. Apparently it is this 'lack
> of cross browser support' that makes it possible for the context menu to
> work in Firefox.
>
> Personally I hope the next version will have both better cross browser
> support, and make disabling the context menu an option, not the default.

0
zviofer (4)
12/22/2005 7:51:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

DavidF

> Sorry to put this on list, but I have no private E-mail address for
DavidF,
> whom I'd like to thank for his very helpful explanation. At least I now
know
> where the incompatibility lies. I bought myself a copy of FrontPage 2003
and
> recreated the same page. The images now behave exactly as they should.
> Thanks again.
>
> Zvi Ofer
>
> "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I doubt that I can answer your question to your satisfaction, but as I
> > understand it the coding engine in Pub2003 uses VML and XML code that
> > works
> > best in IE, and usually does not work well in Firefox. This lack of
cross
> > browser support is a common issue and concern. Apparently it is this
'lack
> > of cross browser support' that makes it possible for the context menu to
> > work in Firefox.
> >
> > Personally I hope the next version will have both better cross browser
> > support, and make disabling the context menu an option, not the default.

0
Nope8657 (939)
12/22/2005 9:15:34 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:51:58 +0000, Zvi Ofer wrote
(in article <dof04u$1mr$1@news2.netvision.net.il>):

> Sorry to put this on list, but I have no private E-mail address for DavidF,
> whom I'd like to thank for his very helpful explanation. At least I now know
> where the incompatibility lies. I bought myself a copy of FrontPage 2003 and
> recreated the same page. The images now behave exactly as they should.
> Thanks again.
>
> Zvi Ofer
>
> "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I doubt that I can answer your question to your satisfaction, but as I
>> understand it the coding engine in Pub2003 uses VML and XML code that
>> works
>> best in IE, and usually does not work well in Firefox. This lack of cross
>> browser support is a common issue and concern. Apparently it is this 'lack
>> of cross browser support' that makes it possible for the context menu to
>> work in Firefox.
>>
>> Personally I hope the next version will have both better cross browser
>> support, and make disabling the context menu an option, not the default.

IMNSHO, FP and Publisher are the devil's tools for web design as they
generate unnecessary code.  If you're serious about designing for the web,
then I strongly recommend you invest in a proper package - and, IMO, that
means Dreamweaver. Shame Adobe looks set to kill it off...

The same site rendered in DW and FP will load several times faster in the
former because it doesn't bloat the code.

0
noone6102 (21)
12/22/2005 10:06:23 PM
noone@home.invalid <noone@home.invalid> was very recently heard to
utter:
> IMNSHO, FP and Publisher are the devil's tools for web design as they
> generate unnecessary code.  If you're serious about designing for the
> web, then I strongly recommend you invest in a proper package - and,
> IMO, that means Dreamweaver. Shame Adobe looks set to kill it off...

But FrontPage is light years ahead of Publisher in terms of lack of code
bloat.

I've heard that DreamWeaver isn't terribly good any more (even before the
Adobe buyout).  Anyone who is SERIOUS about designing for the web will learn
HTML, XHTML, and CSS and will use a text editor.  Either that or Flash, but
I abhor entirely flash sites unless they are along the lines of
www.homestarrunner.com

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
12/22/2005 10:20:43 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:20:43 +0000, Ed Bennett wrote
(in article <#8j9zX0BGHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>):

> noone@home.invalid <noone@home.invalid> was very recently heard to
> utter:
>> IMNSHO, FP and Publisher are the devil's tools for web design as they
>> generate unnecessary code.  If you're serious about designing for the
>> web, then I strongly recommend you invest in a proper package - and,
>> IMO, that means Dreamweaver. Shame Adobe looks set to kill it off...
>
> But FrontPage is light years ahead of Publisher in terms of lack of code
> bloat.

It's relative. If Publisher was the Earth, then FP would be Alpha Centuri
(i.e. 4 light years away).

> I've heard that DreamWeaver isn't terribly good any more (even before the
> Adobe buyout).

Dreamweaver is still the best WD app in this or any other universe? What
would you recommend then - GoLive - euch!

 Anyone who is SERIOUS about designing for the web will learn
> HTML, XHTML, and CSS and will use a text editor.  Either that or Flash, but
> I abhor entirely flash sites unless they are along the lines of
> www.homestarrunner.com

True. Flash is seriously nasty if not learnt correctly. I still say that DW
is the best package out there.

0
noone6102 (21)
12/23/2005 3:04:55 AM
The catch word that both of you use is "serious". I believe that the limited
web building component of Publisher is targeted toward the "non-serious"
person that already owns and uses Publisher to produce their print
documents, and wants a web presence. They are the hobbyist, the small
business person, etc. that want a simple, static site that they can build
using their existing software and skill set. This person does not want to
invest the money to buy FrontPage or Dreamweaver, nor invest the time to
learn those programs, let alone learn coding and a text editor. It is argued
that one should use the right tool for the job, but for this person
Publisher can be the right tool for producing their "non-serious" website,
and FrontPage and Dreamweaver can be over-kill. It is a natural and logical
extension of Publisher capability that MS recognized and targeted. The
marketing goal, I imagine, was that when these people outgrew the web
building capability of Publisher, they would move up to FrontPage.

With that said, since Pub 2000, the powers that be, in an attempt to improve
this web building capability, have mucked things up a bit. The code
generated by Pub 2003 can be more than 2.5 times as large as Pub 2000, pages
take over twice as long to load, and this difference is exponential as you
add graphics. While the web design capability has improved in many ways with
each version since Pub 2000, functionally it has been diminished. There are
many things you can do with Pub 2000 that you can't do with Pub 2003. So
yes, though no professional, expert or "serious" web designer would use
Publisher, a DTP, to produce websites, there are a large group of
individuals where it is, or perhaps was, the right tool for the job.

My hope, as one of the targeted group, is that the code bloat and other
issues with Pub 2003 produced websites will be addressed in future versions,
so the "non-serious" web builder will be able to use Publisher more
effectively to produce their "non-serious" website.

Just my two cents worth...

DavidF

> noone@home.invalid <noone@home.invalid> was very recently heard to
> utter:
> > IMNSHO, FP and Publisher are the devil's tools for web design as they
> > generate unnecessary code.  If you're serious about designing for the
> > web, then I strongly recommend you invest in a proper package - and,
> > IMO, that means Dreamweaver. Shame Adobe looks set to kill it off...
>
> But FrontPage is light years ahead of Publisher in terms of lack of code
> bloat.
>
> I've heard that DreamWeaver isn't terribly good any more (even before the
> Adobe buyout).  Anyone who is SERIOUS about designing for the web will
learn
> HTML, XHTML, and CSS and will use a text editor.  Either that or Flash,
but
> I abhor entirely flash sites unless they are along the lines of
> www.homestarrunner.com
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
Nope8657 (939)

Error installing outlook client on office 2007/vista
Hi I have run into a problem installing the outlook client on vista / office 2007. Initially the setup program detected the CRM SQL2005 express edition missing (whcih I duely instructed it to install) and incorrectly detected ..NET 1.1 SP1 missing (1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 are all installed on the laptop). The setup program would not install the .NET 1.1 so I eventually reinstalled this manually (despite it being already present). Now if I rerun the crm setup program I recieve the following error after accepting the licence screen: "The type initializer for Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Com...

Outlook 2002 & MS Mail
I know this may sound a very stange request but...! I have Windows XP PC with Outlook 2002 installed (as part of the XP office software). All my other PCs on my network are NT and have Outlook 2000. I can configure all these to be corporate emails connecting to a mail server. When I try and configure Outlook 2002 it will not let me select corporate and I do not have the choice of MS Mail server. Can anybody please help... Outlook 2002 does not directly support MS Mail but there is a workaround you can use to connect to it -- you can find it here: http://www.poremsky.com/msmail_xp.htm --...

document imager
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>have microsoft office for mac 2008, student edition, i am trying to scan a document so that i can edit it, older versions of word had something called OCR that would enable you to do this, i cannot find it on my version, how do i do it?</i> What you're referring to is Twain support which requires VBA. Since there's no VBA in Office 2008 there's no Twain support. The only real difference is that you cannot scan directly into your document. You'll need to use the software that c...

Document Imaging
I have two issues related to this. First, Document Imaging is not showing in 2010 beta. I have done a complete install, and told the install to run all from my computer. I have Windows 7 64 and I cannot find Document Imaging. A related problem is on my machine also running 7 64 and I have Office 2007, Document Imaging appears but the Document Imaging Printer doesn't appear. Is this a 64 bit issue? If so, why are they making a big fuss that 2010 will be available in 64 bit. Why have the 64 bit if you have reduced functionality? ...

Outlook 2003 desktop and tray icon
After installing Outlook 2003 over Outlook 2000, I had to make the following registry change in order to force Windows 2000 to show the new Outlook 2003 icon (rather than the old Outlook 2000) icon on the desktop: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\DefaultIcon] @="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MICROS~3\\OFFICE11\\OUTLOOK.EXE,0" However, when I open Outlook 2003, besides the icon in the task bar, an additional icon is shown in the tray area and that is still the old Outlook 2000 icon. - How can I control the display of this icon in the tray? - How to get Windows to sho...

Using the places com add-in in outlook
I installed the file and it is under the tools menu, how do I use it to specify specific paths? ...

Sharing Outlook Calanders
Ok, here is what I want to do. Create about 7 or 8 shared calanders, give access to them to about 10 people, and set it up so people can go to their calander on outlook and open the shared calanders. But when I create the 7 shared calanders all under 1 email account, I then can't open them on any other users. It just lets me open their default calander, not the extra ones I created. How do I go about doing this? To access a shared folder that isn't one of the folders listed on the = File | Open | Other User's Folder dialog, the mailbox owner needs to = grant "folder ...

Outlook 2003 / Mozilla Firefox
Hello ! I'm encountering a little problem since i installed Outlook 2003. It opens Html links twice in Mozilla Firefox ! First time i runned it, it opened the link as usual in Firefox ( which is the default navigator in XP ) and asked to specify the location for the *.exe to the navigator. And since that, it reacts weird ! Any suggestions will be helpful ! Thanks, Philippe -- FiL FiL <fil@chez.lui> wrote: > I'm encountering a little problem since i installed Outlook 2003. It > opens Html links twice in Mozilla Firefox ! First time i runned it, it > opened th...

How to recognize that a window handler is of Console window
Hi I have all the handles to the windows on desktop. but I do not want handle to a console window. how to I recognize that handle is a console window's handle. I have tried the GetClassName but I do have a question that, Is it not possible that the class name could also belong to another window? Well, the class name for the a console window is ConsoleWindowClass. I don't think that any other window beside console windows will be able to use this class name. AliR. <anup.kataria@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1163760570.342031.65680@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi ...

MS outlook 2000 Level1Remove
I can not unblock access files applied patch Level1Remove to access files but did not work added the string as per MS ".exe; .mde .mdb .MDB Thanks Rock I believe that your Level1Remove string should actually look like: exe;mde;mdb Not ..exe; .mde; .mdb -- Ray at work Microsoft ASP MVP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29e001c3fcab$74dc55f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I can not unblock access files > applied patch Level1Remove to access files but did not work > added the string as per MS ".exe; .mde .mdb .MDB > > Thanks Rock > ...

Bug in Outlook 2002
We are experiencing a problem with Outlook XP when trying to send a file as attachment from an Office Application or right clicking on a file and saying Send To Mail Recipient. When you press send nothing happens, unless you press send repeatedly in very quick succession, or alternatively use CTRL+Enter. The OS on all PC's is Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 with all updates applied from Windows Update. Office XP is Service Pack 3 with all updates applied to the administrative point and rolled out to all PC's. Outlook reports version 10.6515.6626 (SP3) Could some please noti...

OUTLOOK BCM
When you first open outlook after installing BCM business contact manager A screen pops up asking yes no remind me later. I inevertantly click the no by mistake and now I can't get BCM screen to come back so I can click yes. How do I get BCM screen to pop up so I can say yes or remind me later? Secondly when I go to the newsgroups for help some of the groups start with Febuary 17 somtimes and other times show questions with todays date why is this ? Hi, When you wanna associate the BCM with the profile, Click on File Menu --> New --> Outlook Data File --> Select the ...

Outlook.pst File Size
Hi: In an effort to manage the thousands of emails that I've sent and recieved over the years I have created multiple smaller .pst files to create my own 'archive' structure. The primary reason for creating the additional .pst files was to prevent the Outlook.pst (default) file from exceeding 2 GB in size. After moving ALL of the emails out of the Outlook.pst (default) file, the file size did not decrease (>2GB). Are the emails still saved, though hidden, in the Outlook.pst (default) file even though they have been moved out of this file? The only data that...

IMAGE
Hello I have set up some stationery but my nice crisp clean company logo looks poor qualiy when I do a test and receive it back in the email. It looks very good in outlook when sending but not so on receiving - does Outlook compress images to a certain quality - can I do something to ensure good quality image? thanks Jeff ...

Setting Up Multiple Users for Outlook 2003 with windows XP #2
Hi Kathleen - I originally installed office (Small Business Edition) over a year ago. I entered my name and accepted the EULA at that time. Outlook has run just fine since then for my original account with supervisor rights. I created the new XP user account a few days ago, and would like to be able to get Outlook running with this account using a separate .pst file and email account. When I try to run Outlook when I am logged in to the new account, I am not given the opportunity to enter anything. The Windows Installer box runs for a few seconds and then closes, and the second box opens wit...

Add image over other images
Hey guys, Basically I have two pictures: A map (quite a large picture) A symbol (quite small and to be placed over the map at specified points) Anyone have any idea how I could go about this? Thanks in advance for any help! Am 05.05.2010 05:51, schrieb bourkeyo: > Basically I have two pictures: > > A map (quite a large picture) > A symbol (quite small and to be placed over the map at specified points) > > Anyone have any idea how I could go about this? Take a look at the following classes/methods: 'Bitmap': Constructor and 'Save' m...

Outlook receive issue
Hi, I am using outlook 2000 to send and receivie messages.I am able to send out messages but not being able to receive messages automatically. I have tried to click on send and receive. The windows pop up and say that the transaction is completed successfully but I did not receive the messages actually. I have to manually click on tool > send and received > my account then the messages will arrive into my inbox. How can I resume the auto receive messages funtion? Thanks a million! MWGP ...

Outlook is running in the background. How do I turn it off?
Outlook is running in the bckground. Don't know why or how. How do I stop it? Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. (activesync, iTunes, etc.) 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin-Covey Plan Plus! 4. COM Add-ins. 5. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background to check for new mail and fire reminders. 6. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan i...

Capturing a screen image
I frequently write material to use in my classrooms and labs where my students use Excel XP. I would like to be able to do an old-fashioned PrintScreen, but this doesn't work any more. How can I print the entire screen image in my document? Thanks, Evelyn Depending on what you want, hit printscreen button or the printscreen button in combination with Ctrl or Shift. then go to your application, such as word or excel and do edit => Paste. This should give a bitmap picture of the part of the screen you captured. Regards, Tom Ogilvy Evelyn <elplummer@prodigy.net> wrote i...

TreeCtrl and Images
I want to display normal and state images in my tree control from image list. Generally, treectrl displays checkbox first in a row and it then displays the normal image. Is it possible to reverse this order i.e. to show normal image before the state image ? On Jan 6, 10:44=A0am, shubhishubhi <shubhishu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to display normal and state images in my tree control from image l= ist. > Generally, treectrl displays checkbox first in a row and it then displays= the > normal image. Is it possible to reverse this order i.e. to show ...

outlook 2000/2002
when i export mail,sent mail, contacts, calendar etc from outlook 2000 to 2002, i loose all the date fields and attachments. Please help Thanks Abi Don't export. Just re-use the same .PST file in Outlook 2002. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:09e001c3aec7$17c69100$a001280a@phx.gbl, abi johnson wrote: > when i export mail,sent mail, contacts, calendar etc from > outlook 2000 to 2002, i loose all the date fields and > attachments. ...

Outlook trace logs
Hello, does anyone know how to read the etl trace log files from outlook 2003? is there any free available tool or are they supposed only to be used by PSS? Daniel PSS. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Daniel S" <danny@alsway.com> wrote in message = news:5B747599-2990-4C15-BC5F-4DA8AD50E02D@microsoft.com... Hello, does anyone know how to read the etl trace log files from outlook 2003? = is=20 there any free available t...

microsoft outlook 2000 receiving mail problem
everytime i try to recieve email, i get this error: Outlook has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart this program. An error log has been created. Any ideas where i can find the error log or how i can fix this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

mirror image
I put together a floor plan for a home. I need to mirror or flip the floor plan 180 degrees but I can't seem to be able to do this. I selected the whole floor plan, clicked on shapes, rotate or flip, flip vertical but that only flips each shape. It keeps each shape stationary but flips it 180 degrees. That is not what I need to do. I want to be able to flip the whole image. For example. The garage, bedrooms and bathroom is on the south side. I want it to be on the north side instead. Can you help me? I just tried this. Select everything, group, then flip it. Appeared to work (at l...

Outlook #224
When I clicked on link in an email, AOL open automatically. I uninstalled AOL, now nothing happen when I clicked on the link. Please help. Thank you. Tim ...