I UNCHECKED THE SHOW SCREENTIPS, BUT IT WON'T STOP

Ok, the "cut, copy, paste" box keeps showing up when I try to tupe in
Publisher. Other boxes show up all the time like on the desktop, "arrange
desktop", etc. On the web, one shows up "back" etc.
I have unchecked the box for "Show Screentips" but it still won't stop.
It prevents me from doing any work.
Please help!!!!!

If the balloons are turning up on your Windows desktop, this has nothing to do with
Publisher.
HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307729

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"jims_punkin" <jims_punkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, the "cut, copy, paste" box keeps showing up when I try to tupe in
> Publisher. Other boxes show up all the time like on the desktop, "arrange
> desktop", etc. On the web, one shows up "back" etc.
> I have unchecked the box for "Show Screentips" but it still won't stop.
> It prevents me from doing any work.
> Please help!!!!!

0
gsauer (5094)
9/22/2005 2:58:47 PM
jims_punkin <jims_punkin@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
heard to utter:
> Ok, the "cut, copy, paste" box keeps showing up when I try to tupe in
> Publisher. Other boxes show up all the time like on the desktop,
> "arrange desktop", etc. On the web, one shows up "back" etc.
> I have unchecked the box for "Show Screentips" but it still won't
> stop. It prevents me from doing any work.

Screentips are the tips that are shown in balloons.
The labels that are shown when you hover over buttons are controltips or
tooltips.  They are designed to show you what the buttons do.  They cannot
be disabled.  If you are typing, move your mouse to the corner of the screen
where a controltip should not be displayed.  Or learn to ignore the
controltips.  It's not THAT difficult.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
9/22/2005 4:01:42 PM
It's not just the little balloons that show up. It's the full tool list on
any given window that is open. Even when just the desktop is on the box shows
up. These boxes are the ones that usually show up when you right-click. (Just
now one came up and it stopped me from typing. I have to click on the screen
to make it go away. Sometimes I have to click five or six times.) The little
info boxes don't usually interfere with normal workflow. These do!!

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> jims_punkin <jims_punkin@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
> heard to utter:
> > Ok, the "cut, copy, paste" box keeps showing up when I try to tupe in
> > Publisher. Other boxes show up all the time like on the desktop,
> > "arrange desktop", etc. On the web, one shows up "back" etc.
> > I have unchecked the box for "Show Screentips" but it still won't
> > stop. It prevents me from doing any work.
>
> Screentips are the tips that are shown in balloons.
> The labels that are shown when you hover over buttons are controltips or
> tooltips.  They are designed to show you what the buttons do.  They cannot
> be disabled.  If you are typing, move your mouse to the corner of the screen
> where a controltip should not be displayed.  Or learn to ignore the
> controltips.  It's not THAT difficult.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

jims_punkin <jimspunkin@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
heard to utter:
> It's not just the little balloons that show up. It's the full tool
> list on any given window that is open. Even when just the desktop is
> on the box shows up. These boxes are the ones that usually show up
> when you right-click. (Just now one came up and it stopped me from
> typing. I have to click on the screen to make it go away. Sometimes I
> have to click five or six times.) The little info boxes don't usually
> interfere with normal workflow. These do!!

Ah I think I understand what you're on about now - are you talking about
context menus?

This sounds like you have either accidentally activated voice recognition
(which can cause all sorts of erratic behaviour, even if you don't have a
microphone plugged in), or you have a problem with your mouse drivers.  Try
updating your mouse drivers, or using a different mouse.  If you're on a
notebook, try turning down the sensitivity on the touchpad or disabling it
altogether.

It might also be that you have a virus or spyware on your machine.  I
suggest downloading, installing, and scanning with AVG from
http://free.grisoft.com, Microsoft AntiSpyware from
http://www.microsoft.com/antispyware/, Ad-Aware SE from
http://www.lavasoftusa.com, and SpyBot Search and Destroy from
http://security.kolla.de/

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)

New mail notification should not show a red flag
When I receive new mail notification, the little box shows a red flag and a high priority status symbol. When I go to outlook, neither are true for the email. New mail should only show those if it is true ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Restart slide show from last slide
Hi All, I need a keyboard combination to be able to restart a slideshow from the last slide. I have a PPT, but I will also be showing some other software, so I need to switch between PPT and other windows and thus stop the slideshow. F5 restarts the show from the first slide, not the last. Any suggestions? Thanks so much! Which PowerPoint version are you using? In PowerPoint 2003 and later versions, you can use Shift+F5 to start the slide show from the current slide. For PowerPoint 2000 and PowerPoint 2002 (XP), you can perhaps use Shortcut Manager from http://officeone.mv...

Show Markup options for Word
I need to make it easier for editors to understand what changes have occurred in a document. I'd like sometimes to not show the deletions. That confuses the syntax and consumes a lot of time to have to also read what is not in the article any more. There should be an option to show *insertions only*. So the revisions can be quickly and easily reviewed. It would be good for me as a writer too, as I don't always care about what I didn't want to say, but just where I've changed things and need to recheck. ---------------- This post is a suggestion f...

Can I stop Outlook re-naming existing contacts with GAL name?
Hello, I've imported some contacts from a PST file to Outlook 2007. On many of the contacts, I added descriptions after their name, e.g., "John Doe (SALES)". Now I find that Outlook appears to have automatically resolved the addresses to the GAL and re-named the imported contacts with the GAL name! So the "(SALES)" tag has been dropped in the example above. Does Outlook do that and if so how to prevent it from doing that? Thanks, - Alan. ...

Getting an Error when there is nothing to show
-- The bottom of my report which is a statement shows #Error when there is no Invoices to add up. Can I have it blank instead. this my text Box Control Source thanks for any Help....Bob =Reports!rptOwnerPaymentMethod!subChildOwnerInvoiceAmount!tbAmount.Value Try: =IIf([subChildOwnerInvoiceAmount].[HasData], [subChildOwnerInvoiceAmount].[tbAmount]) Explanation in: Bring the total from a subreport onto a main report at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-18.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.h...

Why does shared workbooks uncheck users Windows in Taskbar option
Every time users go into a shared workbook it unchecks their previously selected option to show Windows In Taskbar (Tools\Option\View\Windows In Taskbar). I've tried saving the program with this option checked but it seems every time I make it a shared workbook and go back into it, this option unchecks itself. Any way around this? What version of excel are you running? Saved from a previous post... There's a bug in xl2k that shows up if you're working with shared workbooks. If you're not using xl2k and shared workbooks, it sounds like you don't have permission to ...

Show ALL Activities in Oulook Client
I suggest that a user in front of Outlook today be able to see ALL activities - not just tasks (phone calls, faxs, letters, etc) from the "Outlook Today" main page. Thanks! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssol...

[Entourage 2004] Show me the date!
Hi, How can I force Entourage 2004 (SP2) to sort mails by received and at the same time show me the receive date instead of weekday and time? It doesn't work to disable 'Use relative dates in lists (Today, Yesterday)' in General Preferences > General. It still shows me weekday and time instead of the date. -- Regards Madsen Under the "View" menu, set "Preview Pane" to "Below List" or "None". If the Preview Pane is set so that it is "On Right", the message list will always use relative dates. I agree that it is an unfo...

line feed not showing in report
I have some code that is concatenating names together using vbCrLf. I also tried Chr(13)&Chr(10) which are supposed to be the same anyway. I assign the names to a string variable and then in the OnFormat of the report detail I assign the values to the caption of a lable. Trouble is the line feeds don't end up in there. Public sEmpNames as String sEmpNames = "" loop through the names table... While .... if sEmpNames = "" Then sEmpNames = <next name in table> else sEmpNames = sEmpNames & vbCrLf & <next name...

How do I stop all cells from being selected in excel?
When I click on a cell to add information, all cells are selected. I then can't use the worksheet at all. The mouse will not even let me select any items from the toolbar. I have to completely shut down the program and try to start over. All the cells???? This might not be the solution, but it can't hurt... Look at the statusbar (at the bottom of the worksheet window). Do you see the abbreviation EXT in the embossed boxes to the right. If you do, hit the F8 key to toggle this off. (EXT means to extend the range.) If that doesn't help. Try gently banging on your mouse-...

Formula result showing 0
Hello, I have entered a SUM formula. The cell shows 0 value for all the rows. When i click on the Function Argument, i can see the actual result. How can i refresh to show the correct result? Formula entered is =SUM((Overall!$J$2:$J$1229=Summary!A2)*(Overall!$D$2:$D$1229)) Help appreciated. Thanks Rajula Try =SUMPRODUCT((Overall!$J$2:$J$1229=Summary!A2)*(Overall!$D$2:$D$1229)) OR array entered. Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula. ...

Activities don't show up until we hit the refresh button
Hello all, We upgraded from 3 to 4 and it appears that the upgrade did not complete successfuly, but the users used the system. Everything appears to be working well except for a couple of strange things like when we create an activity the activity does not appear until we hit the Refresh button, going to history and coming back does not fix the issue, only the refresh button any quick fix on this one? thanks ...

Outline of labels do not show
I am using Word 2003. When I try to print individual labels by typing each label in a full sheet of labels, I am not able to see the outline of each label on my screen so I can't count down to the place where I ended printing lables the last time. This is a new thing for me. In the past when I show a whole sheet of labels, the ouline of each label was visible on my screen. Click Table | Show Gridlines. (Alternatively, you could display text boundaries, via Tools | Options, View tab.) -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Guy Delaney" <delaney@uniteds...

Entry Table not Showing
When I right click the top left cell (above row 1 and to the left of column 1) it displays a list of tables. Every table except the Entry table changes. Is there a bug or a setting I need to fix? Is is because you are already on the Table entry - which table is ticked? -- Regards, Ben. "Michael Jansen" wrote: > When I right click the top left cell (above row 1 and to the left of column > 1) it displays a list of tables. > > Every table except the Entry table changes. Is there a bug or a setting I > need to fix? When I click entry, it does ...

Line Chart
I thought this would be easy, but I am really stumped! I need to show the percentage in addition to the value in the data labels for a line chart. Example, January February Series 1 5 6 Series 2 15 4 I would like the January data label for Series 1 to show 5 (25%) I would like the January data label for Series 2 to show 15 (75%) I would like the February data label for Series 1 to show 6 (60%) I would like the February data label for Series 2 to show 4 (40%) TIA FOR ANY HELP! You need to construct your lab...

Showing a specific value against a normal curve
I'm wondering if it's possible to show a specific data point against a normal curve. I would like to be able to show where, for example, a particular test score would fall on the curve of all test scores. Suggestions please? Draw a normal curve, then add a 2nd series that represents the z-value for the test score of interest. To draw a normal curve: Normal curve http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/ To add a vertical line, adapt the ideas for drawing a horizontal line Adding a horizontal line to a chart http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_...

GP 10 Manufacturing Order Receipt
Please explain how to remove the automatic report dialog boxes during a MO receipt. I have turned off all Inventory posting reports in Posting Administration. Thank you Brian You also need to turn off inventory transaction posting reports such as issues and receiving reports. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "bkent" wrote: > Please explain how to remove the automatic report dialog boxes during a MO > receip...

Uncheck Items in ListBox.
I have a list box called "ListPrint". The Control is "PrintValue" (from the table TbPrintValue) the Rowsource is "TbPrintForm" (Table that has all the list box items) and the form's record source is "TbPintValue". I have the following code to reset the form so that the check boxes in the list box can be checked again. Unfortunately it does not work and the items checked remained checked. Please help. Private Sub Form_Close() Dim varItem As Variant For Each varItem In Me!ListPrint.ItemsSelected Me!ListPrint.Selected(varItem) = ...

Data points showing for empty cells?
When I populate a worksheet column sparsely (leaving many cells blank), and then create a line chart of the data, the null cells do not create data points. This is what I want to happen. However, if I want to populate the column (e.g. D) based on the existence of values in corresponding cells in another column (e.g. C), using the following formula in D: =IF(C1<>"",SUM($C1+100) ,"") the cells that are empty now create data points in the chart. Apparently "" is not the same as an empty cell. How can I perform my calculation in D, based on the existence ...

Run Rules Now windows has unchecked rules
Whenever I go to rules wizard and click on Run Now button, Run Rules Now window opens with all my rules but all of them are unchecked, I have to check them manually everyday when I start my comp and outlook. I am using MSOL 2002 (10.2627.2625) Help.... That's how run rules now works. It's for rules you don't want running constantly. Do you have the rules turned on? That's the check boxes on the first screen about Rules. Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook] Acorn Training and Consulting www.acorntraining.com.au Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the ...

Timed appts are not showing
Does anyone know why suddenly my timed events are not showing (in letters) but in block colors (but the All day events are doing just fine)? Have I accidentally 'turn off' something ?? They're showing fine on Day and Week pages but not on Month page? It used to show just fine on the Month page .. Thanks .. Happy holidays Irene +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: outlook.jpg | |Download: http://www.outlookbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4| +------------------------...

Need the check state of list control item as user checks/unchecks it
I have CListCtrl object. As soon as the check box is selected i need to display some message box. If NM_CLICK message is handled and GetCheck() is used it is too early and will not get the proper state of the item selected . Please let me if anybody knows. Hook LVN_ITEMCHANGED a sample code may look like this void CCustomListCtrlDlg::OnItemchangedList1(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) { NM_LISTVIEW* pNMListView = (NM_LISTVIEW*)pNMHDR; BOOL bTest = m_Ctrl.GetCheck(pNMListView->iItem); *pResult = 0; } Regards, -Boben. "Rajani" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Show data on criteria
How to achieve the next item in a report : I only want to show data when it is in its criteria : So my datafield is called "Bit_count" where values like "128 BIT", "256 BIT" can reside. I Only like to display information in my report when the value is "128 BIT". How to solve this problem. Thanks for comments. Jereon, Sounds like you're trying to restrict the records delivered by the report to only records with a Bit_Count of "128 Bit"?? What is the RecordSource of your report? If it's a Table, then change it to a Query (ba...

show active cell
Hi I want to show the contents i the active cell in another cell, fo example cell A1. Also when i change active cell. dalla -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Not sure what you mean exactly. But if you want B1 to always show wha A1 has, in B1 type ... =A1 Is that what you're looking for -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Put this in the worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View Code): Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange( _ ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Range("A1").Value = ...

Formatting a cell to show just calculated value?
I have alpha characters in Column AA, numeric values in Column AB, and a formula in Column B to combine the two. The formula is: =AA2&AB2. For example, if the value in Column AA is XYZ, and value in Column AB is 789, the formula will place XYZ789 into B2. Question: How can I format B2 after the formula has placed XYZ789 into the cell, so there isn't the above formula, rather, I would like it to show only XYZ789 because I do not wish to send Columns AA and AB with the spreadsheet. TIA for ideas/solutions. ---- Emily Steed Please post your response to NG, thanks. Emily ...