I am having problems with line spacing in Publisher.

I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
is fine; only the last line does this.
I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
and size that I need.
Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?
0
chinamike (3)

Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format picture,
Layout tab, select exact.

Change your text box to have no bottom margin.

Look at the help for baseline.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
> of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
> people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
> about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
> is fine; only the last line does this.
> I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
> Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
> seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
> and size that I need.
> Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
mary-sauer (6479)
3/5/2007 7:10:48 PM
Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.

I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.

Thanks.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format picture,
> Layout tab, select exact.
>
> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
>
> Look at the help for baseline.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
> > of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
> > people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
> > about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
> > is fine; only the last line does this.
> > I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
> > Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
> > seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
> > and size that I need.
> > Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
chinamike (3)
3/5/2007 8:02:10 PM
Usually the space is because the title font size is larger than the body text.
Change the text size before you do a return. Or change the text size in the
space between the title and the body text.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
> with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
> the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
> in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
> out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.
>
> I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format
>> picture,
>> Layout tab, select exact.
>>
>> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
>>
>> Look at the help for baseline.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
>> > of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
>> > people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
>> > about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the
>> > paragraph
>> > is fine; only the last line does this.
>> > I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
>> > Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
>> > seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
>> > and size that I need.
>> > Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
mary-sauer (6479)
3/5/2007 9:45:15 PM
I know to do that, but the problem was the "Align with Guides" command. When
the program aligned the text with the guides, it was dropping the text to the
nearest guide line, and then leaving a two-guideline space between title and
text. What I finally did was to set the space after paragraph to 0 for both
styles, turned on widows and orphan control, turned off "keep text together,"
and things seem to be working now. Learning how to use the baseline giudes,
however, was one of the more useful things that I have come across in a year
or so. Thanks.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Usually the space is because the title font size is larger than the body text.
> Change the text size before you do a return. Or change the text size in the
> space between the title and the body text.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
> > with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
> > the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
> > in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
> > out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.
> >
> > I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format
> >> picture,
> >> Layout tab, select exact.
> >>
> >> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
> >>
> >> Look at the help for baseline.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
chinamike (3)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Microsoft Publisher Greeting Card Contest 2004 #3
Yes, it is that time! Put your best ideas together and create a greeting card with Microsoft Publisher for your chance to win a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional! For more details, check out the following link: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=103 Submit your entries to: contest@publishermvps.com. All entries must be submitted by December 17, 2004. All entries will be converted to Publisher 98 format by me before uploading so that more users may be able to open the files. I will also retain the original file format offline. If you have any questions, please let us kn...

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Parse text field based on spaces or commas or periods
Is there a way to parse a text field of different lengths at the places where there is a space or comma or period? Thanks! Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E6ADC9F9-B62F-4FF6-98D3-19EA899926BD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to parse a text field of different lengths at the places where > there is a space or comma or period? Thanks! ...

Problem with Authentication

Updated KB: Thin Line Appears and Is Printed Outside Object with Border and Fill Applied
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290911 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

publisher file type
Publisher 2007 files open as WORD files. Files saved in Publisher save as WORD files even though Publisher is selected in Save As Well only for you. But before we try and guess what you are doing wrong maybe you could supply a little more information about the version you are using and what you are really doing because it seems to be a problem unique to you. John G. On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:54:01 -0800, RandyP <RandyP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Publisher 2007 files open as WORD files. Files saved in Publisher save as >WORD files even though Publisher is...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

Publishing charts
We are using Excel to manipulate some real time data then publish the updated results every 15 minutes to the Internet. I am publishing charts using Excel's Save as Web Page feature, but then only want to use the images of the charts as an included image in the actual web pages. The images end up with names like "xyz_89654_image001.gif". The "image001.gif" part I don't have a problem with - as long as there is only one image in each subdirectory, that will be it, and the xyz comes from the workbook name. It's the number in the middle that I have real prob...

IF AND problem