Huge file size

If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases (that's
normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT decrease---it
remains the same.  Apparently, it is cumulative---right now I am working with
a Godzilla 339MB file size.  Even if I remove all of my images from the
publication, and I have nothing but text, the file size remains huge.  Can
anything be done to decrease the file size of an existing publication?

Dave Block
Tech Writer
Long Island, NY
0
DaveBlock (8)

Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
heard to utter:
> If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases
> (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT
> decrease---it remains the same.  Apparently, it is cumulative---right
> now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size.  Even if I remove
> all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text,
> the file size remains huge.  Can anything be done to decrease the
> file size of an existing publication?

a) Have you got the latest service pack for Office XP?

b) Have you tried a Save As?

c) Are you basing each new publication on the previous version? (i.e. Issue
375 of a newsletter based on the .pub file for Issue 374)?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org/

0
the_nerd (6344)
6/2/2006 4:42:16 PM
Thanks--

1.  I'll check.

2.  Yes, tried Save As with no luck.  I too thought Pub 2002 would be like
Acrobat in this way---open a PDF and Save As to decrease the file size.
Great minds think alike!

3.  Yes, the publication is in a continuous series of revisions, using the
existing publication and adding to it or subtracting from it.  Why would this
be an issue?

Besides performing the service pack (if needed) the only other option I can
think of is to recreate, page by page, the publication.  A bit overwhelming
to think about, but it can be done.

Thanks for your reply,

Dave
--
Tech Writer

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
> heard to utter:
> > If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases
> > (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT
> > decrease---it remains the same.  Apparently, it is cumulative---right
> > now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size.  Even if I remove
> > all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text,
> > the file size remains huge.  Can anything be done to decrease the
> > file size of an existing publication?
>
> a) Have you got the latest service pack for Office XP?
>
> b) Have you tried a Save As?
>
> c) Are you basing each new publication on the previous version? (i.e. Issue
> 375 of a newsletter based on the .pub file for Issue 374)?
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org/

0
DaveBlock (8)
6/2/2006 5:13:02 PM
This may help
PUB2002: Publication Retains Large File Size When Pages Are Deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279368/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks--
>
> 1.  I'll check.
>
> 2.  Yes, tried Save As with no luck.  I too thought Pub 2002 would be like
> Acrobat in this way---open a PDF and Save As to decrease the file size.
> Great minds think alike!
>
> 3.  Yes, the publication is in a continuous series of revisions, using the
> existing publication and adding to it or subtracting from it.  Why would this
> be an issue?
>
> Besides performing the service pack (if needed) the only other option I can
> think of is to recreate, page by page, the publication.  A bit overwhelming
> to think about, but it can be done.
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Dave
> --
> Tech Writer
>

> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
>> Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
>> heard to utter:
>> > If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases
>> > (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT
>> > decrease---it remains the same.  Apparently, it is cumulative---right
>> > now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size.  Even if I remove
>> > all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text,
>> > the file size remains huge.  Can anything be done to decrease the
>> > file size of an existing publication?
>>
>> a) Have you got the latest service pack for Office XP?
>>
>> b) Have you tried a Save As?
>>
>> c) Are you basing each new publication on the previous version? (i.e. Issue
>> 375 of a newsletter based on the .pub file for Issue 374)?
>>
>> --
>> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>> http://ed.mvps.org/

0
mary-sauer (6480)
6/2/2006 5:32:36 PM
Mary, I think you hit on the solution!  Thank you!

Dave Block
--
Tech Writer

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> This may help
> PUB2002: Publication Retains Large File Size When Pages Are Deleted

> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks--
> >
> > 1.  I'll check.
> >
> > 2.  Yes, tried Save As with no luck.  I too thought Pub 2002 would be like
> > Acrobat in this way---open a PDF and Save As to decrease the file size.
> > Great minds think alike!
> >
> > 3.  Yes, the publication is in a continuous series of revisions, using the
> > existing publication and adding to it or subtracting from it.  Why would this
> > be an issue?
> >
> > Besides performing the service pack (if needed) the only other option I can
> > think of is to recreate, page by page, the publication.  A bit overwhelming
> > to think about, but it can be done.
> >
> > Thanks for your reply,
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > Tech Writer
> >

> > "Ed Bennett" wrote:
> >
> >> Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
> >> heard to utter:
> >>
> >> a) Have you got the latest service pack for Office XP?
> >>
> >> b) Have you tried a Save As?
> >>
> >> c) Are you basing each new publication on the previous version? (i.e. Issue
> >> 375 of a newsletter based on the .pub file for Issue 374)?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> >> http://ed.mvps.org/

0
DaveBlock (8)
6/2/2006 5:54:02 PM
Glad to help...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Mary, I think you hit on the solution!  Thank you!
>
> Dave Block
> --
> Tech Writer
>

> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> This may help
>> PUB2002: Publication Retains Large File Size When Pages Are Deleted
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks--
>> >
>> > 1.  I'll check.
>> >
>> > 2.  Yes, tried Save As with no luck.  I too thought Pub 2002 would be like
>> > Acrobat in this way---open a PDF and Save As to decrease the file size.
>> > Great minds think alike!
>> >
>> > 3.  Yes, the publication is in a continuous series of revisions, using the
>> > existing publication and adding to it or subtracting from it.  Why would
>> > this
>> > be an issue?
>> >
>> > Besides performing the service pack (if needed) the only other option I can
>> > think of is to recreate, page by page, the publication.  A bit overwhelming
>> > to think about, but it can be done.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your reply,
>> >
>> > Dave
>> > --
>> > Tech Writer

0
mary-sauer (6480)
6/2/2006 6:03:20 PM
Unfortunately, this does not help at all.  Apparently, I do not have any
Design Gallery Objects in my publication.  If I click the Design Gallery
Object button, and open the Design Gallery dialog, and I click the "Your
Objects" tab, it is empty.  Thanks anyway for trying!

Maybe my design gallery IS full of "Your Objects" but for some reason I am
unable to access the images.

Dave Block
--
Tech Writer

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Glad to help...
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mary, I think you hit on the solution!  Thank you!
> >
> > Dave Block
> > --
> > Tech Writer
> >

> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> This may help
> >> PUB2002: Publication Retains Large File Size When Pages Are Deleted
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279368/en-us
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
DaveBlock (8)
6/2/2006 8:48:02 PM
Problem:  Publication retains large file size even though pages and graphics
are deleted.  So far, the following solutions have NOT worked:

1.  Deleting Extra Content in the Design Gallery Objects dialog.
2.  Use the "Save As..." file menu item.
3.  Installing the latest service packs and updates.

Can anyone think of any other ideas?

Dave
Tech Writer

"Dave Block" wrote:

> Unfortunately, this does not help at all.  Apparently, I do not have any
> Design Gallery Objects in my publication.  If I click the Design Gallery
> Object button, and open the Design Gallery dialog, and I click the "Your
> Objects" tab, it is empty.  Thanks anyway for trying!
>
> Maybe my design gallery IS full of "Your Objects" but for some reason I am
> unable to access the images.
>
> Dave Block
> --
> Tech Writer
>

> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
> > Glad to help...
> >
> > --
> > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >
> > "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Mary, I think you hit on the solution!  Thank you!
> > >
> > > Dave Block
> > > --
> > > Tech Writer

0
DaveBlock (8)
6/5/2006 2:13:02 PM
I've tried to come up with a solution. My best advice would be to start all over
again. Copy/paste pages over to a new instance of Publisher. I'll take a look at
it if you are willing to send it.  I have broadband, might zip it up and send it
along to
mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Problem:  Publication retains large file size even though pages and graphics
> are deleted.  So far, the following solutions have NOT worked:
>
> 1.  Deleting Extra Content in the Design Gallery Objects dialog.
> 2.  Use the "Save As..." file menu item.
> 3.  Installing the latest service packs and updates.
>
> Can anyone think of any other ideas?
>
> Dave
> Tech Writer
>

> "Dave Block" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, this does not help at all.  Apparently, I do not have any
>> Design Gallery Objects in my publication.  If I click the Design Gallery
>> Object button, and open the Design Gallery dialog, and I click the "Your
>> Objects" tab, it is empty.  Thanks anyway for trying!
>>
>> Maybe my design gallery IS full of "Your Objects" but for some reason I am
>> unable to access the images.
>>
>> Dave Block
>> --
>> Tech Writer
>>

>> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>>
>> > Glad to help...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> > http://office.microsoft.com/
>> > http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> >
>> > "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
mary-sauer (6480)
6/5/2006 3:18:34 PM
Mary, thank you sincerely.  Unfortunately sending 336MB through email is...a
bit much.  Thanks anyway, I guess there is nothing I can do except re-create
the whole publication.

Dave Block
Tech Writer

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I've tried to come up with a solution. My best advice would be to start all over
> again. Copy/paste pages over to a new instance of Publisher. I'll take a look at
> it if you are willing to send it.  I have broadband, might zip it up and send it
> along to
> mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com
>

> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Dave Block" <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Problem:  Publication retains large file size even though pages and graphics
> > are deleted.  So far, the following solutions have NOT worked:
> >
> > 1.  Deleting Extra Content in the Design Gallery Objects dialog.
> > 2.  Use the "Save As..." file menu item.
> > 3.  Installing the latest service packs and updates.
> >
> > Can anyone think of any other ideas?
> >
> > Dave
> > Tech Writer
> >

> > "Dave Block" wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, this does not help at all.  Apparently, I do not have any
> >> Design Gallery Objects in my publication.  If I click the Design Gallery
> >> Object button, and open the Design Gallery dialog, and I click the "Your
> >> Objects" tab, it is empty.  Thanks anyway for trying!
> >>
> >> Maybe my design gallery IS full of "Your Objects" but for some reason I am
> >> unable to access the images.
> >>
> >> Dave Block
> >> --
> >> Tech Writer

0
DaveBlock (8)

Font Size on Command Buttons
When I create a command button I can do all of the below except set the FontStyle. What is the correct syntax for this? With objActiveWkb.ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add("Forms.CommandButton. 1") .Left = intLeft .Top = intTop .Object.Caption = strButtonCaption .Width = intWidth .Height = intHeight .Object.Wordwrap = True .Object.Font.Size = 10 ' .FontStyle = "Bold" End With How about just .object.fontbold = true I don't think there's a .fontstyle associated with this. I didn't see it w...

Linking locked files ...?
XL2Ksp3 Can I link files within the same folder, when (after) they are both workbook and worksheet protected? ...

Opening Excel files #2
For some time now, whenever I open an Excel file (named in the format "text1 text2 text3.xls" by double clicking on the file itself in Explorer, or a link to the file, instead of via the Excel open dialog, once the program loads it gives me an error message that says: "file "text1.xls" cannot be found" if I press OK, I then get: "file "text2.xls" cannot be found" If I press OK again, I get: "file "text3.xls" cannot be found" If I press OK again, it then opens the original file. Whilst I can still access the original f...

PST Files #13
Is there anyway in the PST file to have auto archiving turned off completely? If so how? Even better if I could disable it. I've made a recent change the PST to enable cached mode, however those profiles created before the new PST don't have this configured. Obviously if I make the change to disable archiving, they won't have this change either. If I set the variable "ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent" to TRUE will this do this? But I don't want to disturb users that are already in cached mode and I don't want to have users auto complete e-mail address rese...

Why should I code in header file [VS VC++ 2005]
Hi, In VC++.Net 2005 visual studio, if I create a new winform drag and drop a button, then double click it to write click event code, then it auto generates the template code for the event in Form1.h file rather than Form1.cpp file. This behaviour is against standard C++ coding standards, where my header file is supposed to just have declarations. I read in other topics that this is due to C# association of single file concept with the winform. Can someone (from MS or MS experts) explain why is this done? and how can I avoid it to generate template code in header file and write my code in...

outlook.pst is not a personal folder file
Well, I got Outlook working by doing a complete reinstall and update and it was fine until I bought my new Dell with Vista - Heavily cluttered and an arrogant snob. Why make life so dificult I ask myself. On a bright note, it is less cluttered now that have De-Dell-ized it. I reinstalled Vista and Outlook 2003 and I thought before I risk moving my data across, I shall create a briefcase. Then, to my cost I was to find later, I stumbled onto sync centre. I proceeded to sync and found it had deleted 'My documents' folder from the server and created an EMPTY 'documents' ...

A Huge Opportunity . . .
Hello. On April 1, 2007, a new concept in Computer Support will be rolled out across the United States and Europe. We believe that PC-VIP will turn the market for support services to the SMB space <i>ON IT'S EAR</i>. We are looking for qualified support professionals to act as field personnel in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, Austin, Seattle, and Washington DC, as well as in Paris France and Brussels, Belgium, immediately. The money is big, and no kidding, this will be so big that it's entirely likely that anyone who isn't "with us&qu...

Exporting an editable file
I don't have Publisher Have a (luddite) client who has a two page .pub document and after a struggle, finally got it in pdf format, but the pdf does not allow copying any of the text although the security settings allow it. How do I tell her to export the text so that it can be included in an information document? Thanks, Beverly Howard Will copy and paste into Word do it for you? -- Don Vancouver, USA "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message news:uVIla2EoEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I don't have Publisher > &...

How to open old pst files
I would like to check old events from "archive.pst". How can I open archive.pst without messing out the current outlook.pst? TIA. Craig File | Open | Outlook Data File --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message = news:uHUmQAfvFHA.3764@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I would li...

Import text file - Did something break
I have been able to click on a tab delimited text file and presto, it was correctly imported to a worksheet, after a recent "upgrade" it only works about half the time. I tried setting the global delimiter but it still misses some but not all of the tabs. If I manually import the file and select tab as the delimiter, it works fine... Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- Ron, Try importing your file again, after having manually set the delimiter to tab. I...

recently used file list in file menu not working and unreadable.
two problems, the first spawned the other, and both have taken hours=20 of time already (mostly in fruitless research) to try and remedy: First problem: the recently used file list in the file menu is = displaying=20 the files by their whole "pathname" and not merely by their filenames. =20 As new system architecture pretty much requires me to save things in=20 certain nested places, this is INSANE. the names are too long, and I=20 often have difficulty identifying my files. Previous versions of excel=20 seem to have been able to only display the filename.. I've been=20 searc...

HELP! Splitting a 200mg+ file into smaller files
I starting putting together a very large family journal in MS Publisher 2002. I am now at a file size over 200MG and am less then 10% complete with the project. I can not find a way to split the file into "chapters" of smaller units. Is it possible? Can I have 20 or 30 files that link together and act as one? Where can I find information out on this subject? Jim If I were faced with this project I'd create a pub file for each chapter then make each chapter a pdf file and then join the pdf files into one file. I use Publisher 2000 so it would require me to open two Publ...

Huge file size
I have a excel file that has all of a sudden grown to a huge size 19,278,336 . It is stock market data with a worksheet for each year of data (1968 to 2004). So 35 worksheets. For years it has always run about 1.8 meg. Just this year it has all of a sudden grown with no real difference in the data I add each day. Each row has 9 columns of data advances, declines, etc. There are 21 columns that make calculations based on the preceding 9 columns. But years 1968 - 2003 just have data, not formulas. I converted the cells to numbers from formulas. And I had several charts, but I de...

Attachements and Size of Mails in Public Folder
Hello! I want to Import in my Public Folders some Mails (like a Archiv) Now I have some Mails with more than 10 MB. Now Exchange says to me "Maximum Size for Objects in Exchange reached" (A German message). What do I have to do to increase the ammount? I tried to increase the maximum of sendable mails -> no effekt I Tried Q235895 from microsoft - but i found the Administrative Groups not in my Exchange Manager (perhaps the German word known?) Greetings TNT ...

file attachment #4
Could anyone suggest how to override the setting that I have in Outlook Express? I try to send a file attachment with my emails and it deletes them when I send the email out. It says OE has deleted the file just in case it has a bug in it.Akkkk! any help would be appreciated. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com...

merging files
I have a seperate account for my wife and I in money. I would like to merge the 2 accounts....does anyone know of a way to do this? See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q90. "Brock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:033901c3ac96$55d266f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a seperate account for my wife and I in money. I > would like to merge the 2 accounts....does anyone know of > a way to do this? ...

Updating date filed in enity by workflow
I have created a workflow rule, which is updating a user-defined date field in entity with the Execution Time of the rule. After this rule was launched, I can see in Workflow Monitor that it has stoped at entity update action and returned exception 8004022e. Does anybody know, what I am doing wrong? And what this exception is? I don't see any additional text for it in Monitor, so I have no ideas... ...

PFD files cannot be opened with Office 2007
Each time I attempt to open any PDF file, I get a message to select a program to open the file like DOS, Windows, Other, etc. Am I just missing a reader program like Adobie reader or something similar or??? Thanks, John L. Timmons You need the free Adobe Reader to read PDF files. At http://www.adobe.com/, click the Get Adobe Reader button; that'll get you started. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "John L. Timmons" <John L. Timmons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC4BD59B-4B79-4DCC-9B55-D33CE4CDF7CA@microsoft.com... > Each time...

Location of Outlook Files
I need to eliminate "extra" sets of folders in Outlook. In the process of reinstalling the program, I made several appearances of inboxes, calendars, etc. I should be able to find these files with a .pst extension, but can't locate any with Search on this computer. This is Office 2002 running under XP SP3. Any help appreciated. PST files are hidden files. Why you think finding them and doing something to them in Windows Explorer is a good idea is a bit of a mystery, however. What did you think that might achieve? Sounds to me like you will be corrupting you...

OST vs. PST files
I've perused the information I could find on the boards, but what I'd really like to know is a good comparison (pro vs. con) of the use of PST files and/or OST files as a primary storage source Thank OST files are off-line storage files and can't be used as primary storage source. They're used in versions prior to Outlook 2003 for synchronizing a local copy of an Exchange mailbox to be used when you're working offline. In Outlook 2003 they're also used when running in Exchange Cached mode as the local storage cache. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP ht...

Open file(2) from file(1) and then close file(1)
I need to open a file(2) when I open file(1) and then close file(1) File(1) name can change so I need variables. sequence will be Open File(1) Open File(2)... I do it by the following macro: Public LaunchFile As String 'in this public variable I want to keep file(1) name Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim lDir, lFile, lFileMtr As String lDir = Sheets("launch").Range("B2") & "\" 'direction of my file to open lFile = Sheets("launch").Range("B3") & ".xls" 'file name to openm lFi...

Excel 2000
On a Windows 2000 workstation (with all updates applied), an user's excel application now closes any current file that is opened, when she opens up another excel file. Where is the setting to allow for multiple excel files to be open? Are you sure it's closing the other workbooks? Maybe they're just "hidden" behind the activeworkbook. I'd try Window (from the menubar) to see if the other workbooks appear at the bottom of the list. If they do, and the user really just wanted to see separate icons in the windows taskbar, you could just change that setting: To...

Huge file size
If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT decrease---it remains the same. Apparently, it is cumulative---right now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size. Even if I remove all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text, the file size remains huge. Can anything be done to decrease the file size of an existing publication? Dave Block Tech Writer Long Island, NY Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > If I add ...

Where's a OFC file option in 2005?
Hello. My banck works with .ofc file that was working fine in my money2004. But I would like to upgrade to money2005 but I can't even import data from my bank. Now I must type all data. This is a pain. There is other way? like converting the file for any standard money 2005 file? Thanks Does your bank provide any other formats, like OFX ? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/...

Importing PST file
Hi I recently upgraded to Win 2000 and am using Outlook 97. I have a PST file created whilst in Win 98 and am trying to import it into outlook in 2000. When I try to do this, I get a message that I do not have permission to access the file. I have looked at permission in help but am only more confused. Can someone please advise how I can access this file?? It also happens that all my files in word are read-only, and this happened once I upgraded to Win 2000, not out of something I did.. Some sort of security in operation? I originally upgraded to Win XP and this PST file import worked fine...