How to search for text within publisher files

Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
specific text within several publisher files, is this
possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

Many Thanks in anticipation !!!
0
anonymous (74718)

Use the SEARCH facility in Explorer.
It searches in the files internally for any specific words you enter in the
Search.

0
brains (331)
7/26/2004 8:04:09 AM
You can search any folder for any phrase in the Windows search dialogue. In the
Search Companion, click "All files and folders."  If all your Publisher files are in
the same folder, expand "look in" and search only the Publisher folder.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
> specific text within several publisher files, is this
> possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..
>
> Many Thanks in anticipation !!!

0
gsauer (5094)
7/26/2004 8:08:29 AM
Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
all files and folders, the directory business is already
defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
then click search, nothing is returned.

Kindest Regards,

Any further help would be appreciated.

Steve Hurley.

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 9:07:12 AM
Hi All, I have been told that it is not possible to search
Publisher files, and that they are held in a binary type
file layout which is not supported by the Search facility,
I have now exhausted all avenues, if you don't beleive me
please try it for yourselves, if it works for you please
let me know. I am giving up.

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 9:59:22 AM
Well give up, as it works perfectly.
You obviously know better so why ask us mere dumb mortals.

0
brains (331)
7/26/2004 11:01:55 AM
gfam

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 11:15:46 AM
Go to the Folder in Windows Explorer, search from the toolbar, maybe it will work
from there.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
> responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
> work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
> I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
> text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
> the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
> all files and folders, the directory business is already
> defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
> word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
> then click search, nothing is returned.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Steve Hurley.

0
gsauer (5094)
7/26/2004 11:42:03 AM
I experience the same failure doing a "Find" in my .pub files. I looked for
the word Messaggio which appears in over 100 .pub and .pdf files and not a
single item was found. I retried after exiting the virus program without
success. Seems you have discovered a new glitch.

I recently removed Findfast from my computer. Wonder if I took out something
I shouldn't have. Time to run sfc me thinks.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
> responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
> work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
> I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
> text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
> the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
> all files and folders, the directory business is already
> defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
> word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
> then click search, nothing is returned.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Steve Hurley.

0
Retired (261)
7/26/2004 11:42:46 AM
Cheers Don, thanks for your comments, at least I am not
the only one with this problem, I have given up now,
primarily I do not have the time to chase this issue at
the momment, however if I do get a positive response,
rather than the totally obnoxious one from the the brain,
I will let you know, and maybe we can both do our searches
in peace and harmony.

Kindest Regards,

Steve
England

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 12:32:01 PM
Hi Mary, still no joy, I am afraid, a lot of the people in
my office have tried it, a lot on differing
hardware/software, but to no avail, I will have to give in
for the time been, more pressing things to do before end
of play, if I get get to the bottom of this problem I will
let everyone know (bar the Brain), who must be having a
bad day.

Kindest Regards, and many thanks, greatly appreciated.

Steve.
England

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 12:36:02 PM
Hi Don, use agentransack downloadable and free off the
web, works a treat....

Kindest Regards,

Steve.
England.

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 1:04:39 PM
Hi Mary, I have found a fix, albeit not within windows,
suprise, I am using AgentRansack, free off the web, works
fine...

Cheers

Steve....

0
anonymous (74718)
7/26/2004 1:07:35 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
> specific text within several publisher files, is this
> possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app, does your
version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option available?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
7/26/2004 1:36:36 PM
Hi anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
(anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
|| specific text within several publisher files, is this
|| possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

AFAIK, Publisher files are not searchable within. I have never had any luck
doing so.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
7/26/2004 5:50:54 PM
Hi Ed Bennett (the_nerd@mvps.org),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app,
|| does your version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option
|| available?

Ed, while I know this feature exists, and it hasn't worked for me yet, I am
wondering if it requires Fast Indexing to be enabled? (which I refuse to
do).
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
7/26/2004 5:53:02 PM
Hi, Brian:

It works for me in Publisher 2003. I don't have Fast Indexing turned on,
either. (With it turned on, searches may be faster, but everything else is
slower :( I don't do enough searching to make the sacrifice.)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:53:02 -0500, "Brian Kvalheim - [MSFT MVP]"
<bkvalheim@publishermvps.com> wrote:

>Hi Ed Bennett (the_nerd@mvps.org),
>in the newsgroups
>you posted:
>
>|| Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app,
>|| does your version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option
>|| available?
>
>Ed, while I know this feature exists, and it hasn't worked for me yet, I am
>wondering if it requires Fast Indexing to be enabled? (which I refuse to
>do).

0
anonymous (74718)

Maintaing position of graphics withing a text area when text boxes are linked.
Using Publisher 2003. Making a catalog. A text box will cover a category. Within this category are several different product. Say 4 product. The decription of these four product can run into several pages. So I link these text boxes to make my life easier. One or more paragraphs are devoted to each product. Each product description includes an inserted graphic of the product beside the first paragraph of each product description. Later when I add or change text, the text flows from one text box to another. nice! however the graphics do not follow. So I end up moving each graphic ind...

publisher 2000 #46
I have recently migrated files from an old computer to a new one and publisher 98 would not work so i upgraded to publisher 2000 thinking that would work. But still can't get it to run. The problem is when I go to the clip art gallery I get an error ither error code 80070057 or an unspecified error. I have tried registering the clipart.exe file and this has not helped. The funny thing is there are some clip art clips that I can find and insert so it is not a total block out on the clipart gallery. any ideas? Try having the Publisher CD in the drive when selecting an image. -- D...

CSV File, change separator sign
I can not change separator sign creating CSV file in office2007 running on XP PRO. I want to have , as separator defalt is ; I have changed in control panel nationals setting but it still does not give me csv fil whit , as separator it keeps give me ; as separator. Can anyone tell me how to solve this. I've run into this myself, and eventually found it fastest just to use NotePad or EditPad. 1. Export your .CSV doc 2. Open it in NotePad 3. CTRL-H to activate Search/Replace feature Search: ; Replace: , 4. Save the .CSV file. -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB...

Searching for Newsgroups

How do I save a narrated (sound embedded) PPT07 file in SCORM form
I want to allow my company's LMS (Learning Management System) to store, push, and report viewership of narrated (Isound embedded) PPT 2007 files. The LMS has two APIs for content: SCORM 1.2 or AICC. Has anyone found a way to store narrated PPTs (or take intermediate steps) to create SCORM-format output so an LMS can manipulate it? ...

Search & replace in formulae

Diconnext text boxes in document
We have some documents made in Publisher around 15 pages long with the text autoflowing from one page to the next. We would like to separate these into separate text boxes on each page. The problem is when we turn the connect feature off, we lose all text on all pages after that. How can we turn off that feature and make each page its own text box, without losing anything?? Has anyone else run into this? and what are we doing wrong? You aren't losing the text, if you re-size the first text box you will see all the text is there only now it is trying to be on one page. You can ha...

1 excel file but 2 windows open
I receive a excel file from my workmate when I open this file, the excel windows open and display the same content, but the file name shown are different, e.g 1 windows show abc:1, another windows show abc:2 And the file owner dont know why the file become like this. Any setting make this effect ? and how to make it become a normal file? Thanks in advance Select the window which shows abc:2 and use the close icon for this window (not the Excel window) then save the file - when you subsequently open the file it will only show one window. You get this effect by clicking Window | New Window...

How to pre-fix automatic text for all mailboxes in the Exchange 5.5 ?
Hi I am looking to configure a fixed text for all mailboxes when the users send a mail. But I will not use the automatic signature for each mailbox because I have 250 !! Is possible to do it ? My environmet is Exchange 5.5 SP4. Thanks CHV You can, but only for mail that passes throught he IMS. See http://www.mvps.org/exchange/imsappend.htm -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "chv" <chv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c3c01c3c581$bb7adbf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > I am looking to configure a fixed te...

attach multiple files to an email
I am trying to send multiple small pdf files from Access 2003 via Outlook to different districts. The problem is, that I don't know the number of attachments -- it varies by district and by date sent. It could be 1 or it could be up to 30. In my email code I tried to loop through a recordset and then keep attaching the files, but it's not working. My code is as follows: Dim cnnLocal as new adodb.recordset Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset Set cnnLocal = CurrentProject.Connection rs.Open "select Path from tblTemp_ToDistrict where DistrictID = " & rsDistrict!OfficeID...

Search engine optimization

selecting gp company within crystal at run-time
I'm using GPv8 and Crystal 10(?). I have a report in Crystal that I want to be able to run against any of our multiple company databases in GP. For example, I want one of the parameters the user would enter to be "Select Company". How can I do this? Right now I have multiple versions of the report saved, with each pointing to a different SQL Server Database. Thanks, Rob Post your email address and I will send you a sample code which will let you process data from a selected company. I had to do it for myself to create a Consolidated Historical Trial Balance Report...

Status Bar Text with Active X Controls
I have treeview and listview Active X controls on a form. When in form view when either of these controls has the focus I would like to display some descriptive text in the status bar. Unlike other Access controls, these Active X controls do not have a status bar text property. Is there any work around for this, so I don't have "Form View" displayed in the status bar? Ken You need the acSysCmdSetStatus and acSysCmdClearStatus actions of the SysCmd method Look up SysCmd in Access Help HTH "Ken Warthen" <KenWarthen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Where in HQ do we set caption text for Customer Additional Tab?
I have scoured the documentation and can't seem to find it. Where can I set the captions for the fields on the Customer Additional Tab? I have set then in the Customcaption table to what I need, but I would still like to know where the heck I can set those from within HQ Manager. -- RMS 1.2.0.171 1 HQ 23 Stores in 9 states 145 Lanes This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_03D8_01C6E179.3C0CC4C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Butch, Sorry, no option to do that. I think that Retail Realm = ww...

Why are meeting requests showing up scrambled / plain text?
I have been receiving meeting requests in Outlook 2007 and they never show up properly. They show up in plain text and are completely scrambled and illegible. I don't know why they are showing this way? It used to be that this only happened from outside emails, but it's now an issue when I get emails from inside the company as well. I have the feeling that this is a setting issue or the way my outlook was set up. But how do I change it? Thanks! Im having the same issue with a client. Lost.. Plain text means they are losing the TNEF encoding in transit. This happens ...

Printing multiple copies of Publisher 2002 document
I am trying to print mulitple copies of a Publisher 2002 document to a laser printer 0r networked copier. (Win XP) When I select "Print" from the file menu, the section where I can type in how many copies I want is grayed out. This only happens when I have selected "Spot Colors" or "Single Color Publication" in the "Color printing" options of the commercial print tool. Otherwise I am able to print multiple copies. I need to send the job as a "spot color" job to my printer, however. Any ideas on a workaround? Thanks Tom M wrote: || I am t...

using VLOOKUP in a text box
Hello, I have a user form with textbox1 and textbox2. I want to enter a phone number into textbox1, and then I want textbox2 to be populated from another sheet based on the value in textbox1, just like a lookup table. So the name of the person whose phone number is in textbox1 will appear in textbox2. Does anyone know how to do this? thanks I created a small userform -- two textboxes and a commandbutton. This was the code behind the userform: Option Explicit Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim res As Variant Dim LookUpRng As Range If Me.TextBox1.Va...

Command Button To Delete Text In Single Field In Record
Hello All, I want to be able to do is open a particular form, which based on a table. "Enquirys" form is called "Enquiry_Date_Reset" On the form i want to scroll to a particular record and then press a button which will clear the date which is stored in the [Date Sent] field for that particular record set. (Not the whole record) is this possible? Regards Dan On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:08:56 -0700, dan.cawthorne@gmail.com wrote: > Hello All, > > I want to be able to do is open a particular form, which based on a > table. "Enquirys" > > form ...

Sorting numbers acts like text sort
We have a worksheet (Excel 2000) that was e-mailed to us. When we open it, it says there are macros, which there aren't. No matter if we say "Disable" or "Enable" macros, all cells are formatted to "General", and when sorting, the numbers 10000, 7102, 1169 sort as: 10000, 1169, 7102. We can try to format as number, but to no avail. Sorting still isn't right. Have seen this many times before, but don't know how to resolve. Can you help? Thanks. Never mind. Sorry to waste your time. Saw two suggestions below on this page. Missed them the first ...

excel VBA

need help parsing text to get xml
I have a string that contains the \", \t, \r, \n. I need to get the xml. sample below: "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\r\n<USERS xmlns:xsd=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema\" xmlns:xsi=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance\" xmlns=\"http://www.slcorp.com\\xml\\slcorp_dtd_schema.xml\">\r\n\t<ACCT>GameTek</ACCT>\r\n\t<USER>\r\n\t\t<USER_ID>Mike</USER_ID></USER>\r\n\t</USERS>\r\n" I have tried replacing as follows so I can get the xml. I have tried 2 approaches (1) str = str.Replac...