How to change default 'Files of Type' to open only .pub files

Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I
only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher
Files"?  It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various
extensions.  PUB files are all I want.
--
T.G. Lambini
0

Create a folder in My Documents, name it Publisher or whatever, Open options in
Publisher, general tab, click the publication line, click modify... browse to the
folder where you want Publisher documents to go. Drag all your Publisher documents to
this folder.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Lambini" <Lambini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I
> only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher
> Files"?  It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various
> extensions.  PUB files are all I want.
> --
> T.G. Lambini

0
gsauer (5094)
7/14/2005 4:01:19 PM
Just wondering if there is new info about this. I'd really like Publisher to
default to only opening Publisher files. Moving my pub files to a different
folder doesn't work for me. I have one folder for every event and all my
files (Publisher, Word, Excel, etc.) go into that folder.

Thanks!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Create a folder in My Documents, name it Publisher or whatever, Open options in
> Publisher, general tab, click the publication line, click modify... browse to the
> folder where you want Publisher documents to go. Drag all your Publisher documents to
> this folder.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Lambini" <Lambini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I
> > only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher
> > Files"?  It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various
> > extensions.  PUB files are all I want.
> > --
> > T.G. Lambini

0
jam (16)
10/31/2006 9:27:02 PM
Publisher will only open Publisher files. When you select file, open and browse
to a folder, only Publisher files will be visible.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"jam" <jam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering if there is new info about this. I'd really like Publisher to
> default to only opening Publisher files. Moving my pub files to a different
> folder doesn't work for me. I have one folder for every event and all my
> files (Publisher, Word, Excel, etc.) go into that folder.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Create a folder in My Documents, name it Publisher or whatever, Open options
>> in
>> Publisher, general tab, click the publication line, click modify... browse to
>> the
>> folder where you want Publisher documents to go. Drag all your Publisher
>> documents to
>> this folder.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> "Lambini" <Lambini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I
>> > only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher
>> > Files"?  It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various
>> > extensions.  PUB files are all I want.
>> > --
>> > T.G. Lambini

0
mary-sauer (6480)
10/31/2006 10:54:46 PM
My version (2003) also opens htm, html, mht, mhtml, and doc files. I was
hoping to make it default to files only ending in .pub to save me having to
go through so many other files.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Publisher will only open Publisher files. When you select file, open and browse
> to a folder, only Publisher files will be visible.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "jam" <jam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just wondering if there is new info about this. I'd really like Publisher to
> > default to only opening Publisher files. Moving my pub files to a different
> > folder doesn't work for me. I have one folder for every event and all my
> > files (Publisher, Word, Excel, etc.) go into that folder.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Create a folder in My Documents, name it Publisher or whatever, Open options
> >> in
> >> Publisher, general tab, click the publication line, click modify... browse to
> >> the
> >> folder where you want Publisher documents to go. Drag all your Publisher
> >> documents to
> >> this folder.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >> "Lambini" <Lambini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jam (16)
11/1/2006 2:54:01 AM
What version is that in?
My 2003 lists Pub, htm, html, mht, mhtml and doc.
And it  will open all I guess. I tried Pub and Doc. It opens Doc ok.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> "Lambini" <Lambini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Greentest1 (225)
11/1/2006 11:41:53 AM
If you select Publisher files when you open files of type, those will be the
only ones selectable.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> My version (2003) also opens htm, html, mht, mhtml, and doc files. I was
> hoping to make it default to files only ending in .pub to save me having to
> go through so many other files.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Publisher will only open Publisher files. When you select file, open and
>> browse
>> to a folder, only Publisher files will be visible.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "jam" <jam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Just wondering if there is new info about this. I'd really like Publisher
>> > default to only opening Publisher files. Moving my pub files to a different
>> > folder doesn't work for me. I have one folder for every event and all my
>> > files (Publisher, Word, Excel, etc.) go into that folder.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
11/1/2006 12:19:45 PM
Lambini really explained it best in the original post, but I'm trying to find
out if it's possible to have Publisher default to opening only .pub files
without having to use the drop down menu to change it every time I open a
file.

For example, when I first installed Word, the "files of type" box orignially
defaulted to doc, dot, htm, html, url, rft, mht, mhtml and xml. Once I
changed it to .doc, it remembered that choice and now when I use Word and
open a file, it shows me only .doc files.

I'm hoping there's a way for Publisher to do the same.

Thanks!
0
jam (16)
11/1/2006 4:43:02 PM
I have a short term resolution to this problem.
Make a default template save it in the Default folder. Delete the "Publisher
program [shortcut]" from the start programs menu. Then make a short cut to
this template in the start menu. You may also want to change the icon for
this shortcut making it loot like the orginal. This is only an interim
solution, but it works.
Jbell

"Lambini" wrote:

> Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I
> only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher
> Files"?  It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various
> extensions.  PUB files are all I want.
> --
> T.G. Lambini
0
JBell (7)

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Default Company at Login
What determines the default company that is displayed to the user at login? Is it simply alphabetical or is there somewhere to set as the default? i.e if we have 3 companies ABC-Company, 123_Company and All Other Company, Inc., can All Other Company, Inc. be forced as the default presented to the user? Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_70567BB1 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit If there is only 1 company in the list, the list will default to that company. If there is more than 1 company, nothing will default. You could do this trivially with Dexterity if you are o...

Why does the change change to a number?

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

HRESULT opening outlook 2000 in xp pro
I get an error "Exception from HRESULT 0x80040200" every time I start my outlook 2000 in XP pro. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? ...

File lockout update
Redmond, July 28, 2004, 23:15 PDT Here is the current status on the lockout issue. We are working to restore the original locks on these files. (See my earlier posting for a more detailed description.) It is our expectation that, when fixed, this will not require any downloads (or uploads), but the solution may require a connection to our web site. This was not caused by any download of Money software, and we don't think that a download will be necessary to fix it. We are not sure whether every user will be fixed automatically, or if some manual steps will need to be done. If there are ...

Open Purchase Order Inquiry
I am building a SQL statement that looks at PO's that have inventory items with a GL account that is different than the GL account on the Inventory Item or Inventory Class. I found 421 items... yikes! But I am trying to figure out a way to narrow this list and only show me open po's... does anyone know what I need to add to my statement in order to get this? SQL STMT: SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT dbo.POP10110.PONUMBER, dbo.POP10110.ITEMNMBR AS PO_ITEM_NUMBER, dbo.IV00101.ITEMNMBR AS INV_ITEM_NUMBER, dbo.POP10110.INVINDX, dbo.IV00101.IVIVINDX FROM ...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

HELP ME
What type of file is sent in the confirmation of received or read. Thank you, The responses use TNEF so they can be processed by your outlook. This creates a winmail.dat. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you use? http://forums.slipsti...

OWA as default web page
I have a front end server I'm using for OWA. I would like to configure IIS to default to the login prompt when the user hits the web server, without having to type "/exchange". For example: https://webserver.domain instead of https://webserver.domain/exchange Is there a way to configure this? Thanks The article below describes how to redirect the Default Web page to point to the Exchange virtual directory. 319878 XWEB: How to Make Outlook Web Access the Default Web Site http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319878 >-----Original Message----- >I have a front end server...

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

some replies come from default account
Some email replies from me come from the address to which the email was sent and others come from my default address. For example if I reply to a message that came to kozmo@thisaddress.com, the reply comes from kozmo@defaultaddress.com. I can change it manually for each reply but that's a pain and if I forget to it's a problem. Not all messages behave this way. Some come from the correct "reply from" address. I can't figure out what the difference is for those that come from the correct address. I'm using OL2000 on XP, Internet Mail Only. Any ideas what'...

Excel File Portection/Password
I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Drew the file should open in Excel 2000 without a problem (after entering the password of course). What kind of error do you get? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Drew wrote: > I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need > to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it > won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Frank, It says the password is wrong. Thi...