How do I MailMerge a photo from a DB

I am using Publisher 2000 (from Office 2000 Pro) under W2K.

I am creating membership cards via Mail Merge with data from an Access 2000
DB.   One of the fields is an ID photo (OLE Object jpg image).

I have not been able to figure out how to merge the ID photo onto the
membership card.    "Insert" creates the same photo on all cards.  "Mail
Merge" => "Insert Field" does not list the field that contains the photo.

  - David D.

Hi David D. (daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| I am using Publisher 2000 (from Office 2000 Pro) under W2K.
|| I am creating membership cards via Mail Merge with data from an
|| Access 2000 DB.   One of the fields is an ID photo (OLE Object jpg
|| image).
|| I have not been able to figure out how to merge the ID photo onto the
|| membership card.    "Insert" creates the same photo on all cards.
|| "Mail Merge" => "Insert Field" does not list the field that contains
|| the photo.

David, this wasn't introduced until Publisher 2003. Publisher 2003 allows
you to merge photos from a path in a database. So if you had an excel
database of paths to pictures, where the path would be for example C:\My
Documents\My Pictures\dog.jpg.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
5/11/2004 3:40:19 PM
As Brian said, this merge feature started with Pub 2003

HOWEVER it will not take the photo itself from the database.

It will only take the name of the file from the database. The photo itself
must be external to the database and accessible but Publisher (i.e. not on a
CD or something where it is not available to Publisher).

There may be some issues getting the path to the photo correct as well.

Brian mentioned this but I thought you'd not notice the significance.

0
mactno1 (79)
5/12/2004 6:40:21 PM
Thanks.   I got it working on a computer that has Pub 2003.   It appears
that if the photos are in the datasource directory, then no filepath is
needed.  (or it may simply be that the path does not display in the Excel
cell, but it works anyway).

  - David

"Mac Townsend" <mactno@crapadcomgraphics.com> wrote in message
> As Brian said, this merge feature started with Pub 2003
>

> HOWEVER it will not take the photo itself from the database.
>
> It will only take the name of the file from the database. The photo itself
> must be external to the database and accessible but Publisher (i.e. not on
> CD or something where it is not available to Publisher).
>
> There may be some issues getting the path to the photo correct as well.
>
> Brian mentioned this but I thought you'd not notice the significance.

Outlook 2003 MailMerge with Word XP (2002)
I only upgraded to Outlook 2003 while retaining the rest of Office XP. It appears that I can no longer do a mail merge from my Outlook contacts using Word XP. Any help regarding how this may be achieved? Your help is appreciated. Best regards, Sastry Versions must match. Never upgrade only one application if you want to retain integration. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Sastry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:028001c3aa0f$5a452c60$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I only upgraded to Outlook 2003 while retaining the rest > of Office XP. It appears...

CRM mailmerge capabilities, do these capabilities exist?
Does anyone know what, if any, mail merge capabilities exist in the Microsoft CRM package? Thanks, Chris Hi Chris, So far, this is what I have figured out: I will run a query in CRM for the contacts that are desired for the mailing. I then export these to excel and use Word to do the actual mail merge. I don't believe there is a simpler way, but if anyone knows, I would like to learn this as well. Best, Gina >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know what, if any, mail merge capabilities exist in the >Microsoft CRM package? > >Thanks, >Chris > > >...

Dismount of Exchange DB
Let me ask if this is possible... In SQL 2000, a method by which you dismount a DB, backup, and then remount in new location (assuming same server name) - works just fine for RESTORE process. Can you do the same for Exchange 2003 DB? I want to stop the services, dismount the DBs, copy them, and restore to another identical environment (segregated from same LAN segment) and restore it to that environements Exchange 2003 Server. Will this work? Thank you. I'd suggest to read the Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide. It goes through scenarios such as this where you w...

Run reports on 2 different msde db's
We have 2 stores. 1 has 2 pos stations with a store ops server running the msde db. The other has just 1 pos/server combo which has a local copy of the msde db. They both sync with our HQ server via the Hq Client. What we want to do is run reports for both msde db's from the 1 store ops server. I can connect to the second msde db from the store ops server using the store ops administrator, connect option. When I run reports via the manager, the reports are based on the local msde. I can go into store ops administrator, configuration and change the Primary database Server. ...

mailmerge based on activities
I would like to send Contacts a mail merge letter. Only the contacts with a specific Activity during a week. How can I manage the selection of these Contacts with these Activities for the mail merge? Thank you. Marc ...

User Opens DB to a specific form
I have three groups of users (representing three distinct sales orders processing stages, if it matters) and a form for each group. Assuming I have Workgroup Security set up properly (I'm still trying to understand this - let me study it a little more) can I have the appropriate form come up automatically when a member of a processing group opens the database? Also, can I apply a filter so that the individual only sees his own records in that group? Since I'm asking for the Moon, I may a well ask for the Stars, too. Each form has buttons taking the user to any of the other form...

Using Excel With MailMerge?
I'm using an Excel worksheet for my mailmerge source because I need som calculations done that can't be done in Word. I have copied th formulas 50 rows down. When I try to merge, it gives me 50 pages whe I only have data in 20. The other 30 rows consist of formulas whic don't do anything since there is no data on those rows. Even though th cell values are blank, it reads the cell formulas as being anothe row. So what I'm trying to do now is this: create a named ranged tha adjusts its size (A1:K"some number") according to how many rows hav data in them. Using COUNTA ...

when I open pubisher my photos do not appear on screen
I'm putting a newsletter together. Sometimes when I open the document in microsoft publisher the photos I pasted in do not appear on screen but they are there are will print. I need to see them as I work on the document. Help! Ron Aaron San Antonio, Texas aaron@winston-sa.org Help here, read the third FAQ http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "ronnie" <ronnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Burning photos onto CD
When I burn photos onto CD the media player appears to finalise or close the disc so that when I try to burn more photos onto it, it ask me to insert a writable disc and I cannot add more photos, even though the disc is not full. How can I stop the media player finalising the disc? On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:30:01 -0800, Ricardo <Ricardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I burn photos onto CD the media player appears to finalise or close the >disc so that when I try to burn more photos onto it, it ask me to insert a >writable disc and I cannot add more photos...

mailmerge
Tried to use mailmerge fro a mailing and could not load the recipients due to dialog or data engine failure? Not enough information for us to help. List your versions of Word and Outlook List the steps you used. List the error messages more precisely. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "D. A. Caston" <debracaston@comcast.net> wrote in message news:039501c365bd$c431acc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Tried to use mailmerge fro a mailing and could not load > the recipients due to dialog or data engine failure? ...

Using Photo's in a publication
I am trying to create a Calendar, 12 pages plus a cover 1 month to a opening. I want to have a photo from my collection showing each month, it will be printed on the reverse side of the page. My problem is I can't see the photo when I insert it I have looked at the View menu and set the picture setting to view picture not placeholder? what else am I getting wrong? -- Banjo Pat Banjo wrote: > I am trying to create a Calendar, 12 pages plus a cover 1 month to a > opening. I want to have a photo from my collection showing each > month, it will be printed on the reverse side o...

mailmerge #2
i am using a data source (names and addresses) in excel 2000 and mailmerging it with a document (letter) in word 2000. i have 1222 names and addresses in my excel spreadsheet. it will only print the first 760 letters. i can not make it print the last 461 letters. is my data source in excel too big or what is my problem. the first letters printed perfectly. help. -- frank Frank, I have experienced this issue too. I typically keep halving my data source until it works. Two datasources in your case should work. http://HelpExcel.com "frank" wrote: > i am using a da...

Why does an inserted and locked photo move to a 2nd page?
I have a photo inserted at the top of a page and set to "lock anchor" and "behind text". When the document becomes long enough to warrant a second page the photo jumps to the top of the second page instead of staying in place at the top of the first page. Why is this happening? Is there something else I need to do to insure it stays at the top of the first page? Thanks for any input! I'm baffled! In Need of Help wrote: > I have a photo inserted at the top of a page and set to "lock anchor" > and "behind text". When the document b...

Microsoft CRM Integration for Great Plains
Hello, I am attempting to link our CRM 1.2 and Great Plains 8.0 servers, using the "Microsoft CRM Integration for Great Plains" component, but I am having difficulty doing this. After choosing our Great Plains server using the wizard, it fails and give me this message: http://dras.us/images/gperror.gif I know I've selected the current GP SQL server, and GP is functioning correctly. Could someone provide me with some insight? aarmstrong@noemail.nospam Alan: My understanding is that GP 8 to CRM 1.2 does not currently work and is not supported. Sean Fullerton "Al...

Mailmerge to PDF
I want to print a 4-page flyer with Mailmerge to Acrobat PDF Writer. I have 540 records . The funny thing is that Publisher starts printing but stops after every 10 records asking me for a new PDF file name?? Of course I don't want to distribute 54 separate files to another PC, let allone the printing nightmare. Does anybody has an idea what's going on here? Icouldn't find anything anywhere where there is a setting for this. I am on PUB2003 and use Acrobat 4.05 Thanks A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from TomAL <tomalgire@yahoo.com>!"...

MailMerge
H Having trouble merging from excel into word using data from a 2nd or 3rd sheet within the excel doc. Info always comes form the first. I am assuming I need to be able to enter my own page names when selecting which info needs to be merged ie. rather than having to use 'entire speadsheet'. Is this possible. I have been onto the mvps site already with no luck and have tried naming my various sheets already but am still not able to select them Any advice would be appreciated! Lauren Hi MS Word does only support getting data from the first Excel sheet. >-----Original Message-----...

Converted 97-2000 DB works fine on multiple PCs, fails on new machine!
One of my clients has been running a converted 97 - 2000 DB for well over a year now with no problems. This is a split DB with the backend on a file server and the frontend local on the client. They bought a new PC and installed Win 2000 and Office 2000, (which is what is on the other machines). The DB will not work properly on this new PC. Many reports started kicking out the "This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated..." message. I then went to the underlying queries and found that the problem was with fields that were using user created public...

Drop down boxes and linking to db
I am attempting to create a purchase order form and I would like in the ship to address to place a drop down box of all my suppliers. When the user clicks on the drop down box, a list of suppliers will appear. The user will then choose a supplier name and click on it. After clicking on it, I would like the form to automatically display the address, contact info. and other relevant information. I am lost as to how to do this. Thank you. Francis --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You could use Data|Validation to show the list of suppliers. See Debra Dalgleish's sit...

Mailmerge Out Of Memory
I have installed Publisher 97 on my new Windows XP PC even though I already have Publisher 2003 on the machine. The reason I installed the old version also was simply because it was taking me a lot longer than I had hoped to master 2003 and there are some old publications which I need from time to time. Everything in 97 works fine on the new machine, except for one item. When I attempt to use MAILMERGE, whether it be OPEN DATA SOURCE or CREATE PUBLISHER ADDRESS LIST, it responds with the same message PUBMERGE - OUT OF MEMORY As I say, everything else works fine. So what have I done w...

Opening Access db via DAO in vb.net
Hi In my vb.net app I am trying to open a db via DAO as below; Imports dao Dim dbSynch As dao.Database dbSynch = DBEngine(0).OpenDatabase("C:\MYDB.MDB") The problem is that on the last line I am getting the error 'DBEngine' is a type and cannot be used as an expression. What am I doing wrong? Many Thanks Regards Try: Dim dbSync As DAO.Database Set dbSync = OpenDatabase("C:\MYDB.MDB") -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message...

Attached Photos appear in body
I sent a message to myself from Outlook 2010 with a photo attached. When I dl'd the message in Outlook the photo appeared only as an attachment and not in the body of the message. That is what I expected. However, when I dl'd it in Live Mail the photo appeared full size in the body as well as an attachment. That surprised me. I reversed the process and attached a photo to a message in Live Mail and sent it to myself. Again it appeared as an attachment only on Outlook but when read in Live Mail it also appeared in the body and as an attachment. What do I need to d...

MailMerge
I know there are many add-on products that can do MailMerge. My needs though are basic and I don't wish to buy an add-on. What I want to do is on any form that has an address have a MailMerge button that will load Microsoft Word and create a single letter with the individuals name, address, etc. Seems very basic but am unable to find a way to do so. Any help or guidance would be appreicated. John This is standard if you launch Microsoft CRM from within the Outlook client for any account or contact or selection of accounts/records or indeed the results of an advanced find. It's ...

Restore Exchange 2003 DB on another server and domain
This maybe way off, but here it goes... Hypothetical question =) I have Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 in an existing environment, but now I need to MOVE (not migrate) the Exchange 2003 DB onto the other domain. Can I just copy the EDB and STM file from one Exchange box and put it in another - keep in mind that the destination is also in a DIFFERENT domain. On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:02:10 -0600, "Jesse Arket" <jessarket@hotmail.com> wrote: >This maybe way off, but here it goes... > >Hypothetical question =) > >I have Windows 2003 domain and Exchange...

Text won't wrap around Clip Art & Photos
Help! I need an answer to this yesterday. For some unknown reason, text won't wrap around clip art or photos in Publisher 2003. I've tried everything in "format autoshape" and nothing works. The strange thing is that everything worked fine a few days ago. Is there something I should do or something I shouldn't do? I'm quite familiar with Word and Corel WordPerfect but I'm very new to Publisher (any version) and would appreciate any guidance I can get. Thanks in advance! Make sure the image is in front, right-click the text box, format text box, layout ...

How to get all constraints on all tables in a DB
Hi, How can I get all the constraints specified on all the tables in a given database? Thanks for your help. Which version of SQL Server are you using? Michael MacGregor Both 2005 and 2008 Thnx "Michael MacGregor" wrote: > Which version of SQL Server are you using? > > Michael MacGregor > > > . > For 2005, in Management Studio, right click on the database concerned, select Tasks then Generate Scripts. The Generate SQL Server Scripts Wizard will start, click Next. You will be shown a list of databases, not sure why ...