HELP! Splitting a 200mg+ file into smaller files

I starting putting together a very large family journal
in MS Publisher 2002.  I am now at a file size over 200MG
and am less then 10% complete with the project. I can not
find a way to split the file into "chapters" of smaller
units.  Is it possible? Can I have 20 or 30 files that
link together and act as one? Where can I find
information out on this subject?

Jim
0
jimpyles (2)

If I were faced with this project I'd create a pub file for each chapter
then make each chapter a pdf file and then join the pdf files into one file.

I use Publisher 2000 so it would require me to open two Publishers and cut
and paste a chapter, do a save, open the next chapter, do a cut and paste to
a new file etc until all chapters are in their own files.

Next create pdf files of each chapter and finally, join the pdf chapters.

Below is my canned pitch for creating pdf files but I want to add, there is
an excellent add-on program to PDF-XChange called PDF-Tools which will do
the joining of the pdf files into one file. Note: PDF-Tools also has many
other functions and worth exploring.

================
You will need a program to convert the file to a pdf format. There is of
course Adobe Acrobat but its a bit on the spendy side for most folks at $250
or higher. I had the need to create pdf files some 5 years ago and did some
trials on freeware, shareware and commercial programs (excluding Adobe
Acrobat). The winner for me was/is the commercial program PDF-XChange that
goes for ~$40 US.

PC Magazine, Aug 5 issue compares 11 pdf programs with PDF-XChange sharing a
three way tie for a 4 star rating and came in first of the three for price.

You can read the article at:

http://www.pacifier.com/~dschmidt/osia_vancouver_usa/page7.html

You can see some pdf files created with PDF-XChange at:

http://www.pacifier.com/~dschmidt/osia_vancouver_usa/index.html

Bring up any of the 60+ files on the Il Messaggio Archives page.
Click on the song link and enjoy the visit.

BTW, the PDF-XChange site is:

http://www.docu-track.com

Ciao,
--
Don
Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

"Jim" <jimpyles@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I starting putting together a very large family journal
> in MS Publisher 2002.  I am now at a file size over 200MG
> and am less then 10% complete with the project. I can not
> find a way to split the file into "chapters" of smaller
> units.  Is it possible? Can I have 20 or 30 files that
> link together and act as one? Where can I find
> information out on this subject?
>
> Jim

0
RetiredEngr (169)
9/29/2003 5:48:41 PM
I do plan on exporting to PDF. My problem was all the
work it will take to cut and paste so many times for
chapters as you suggest.  Plus when I have tried to do
that for some reason it copies photos and other objects
but not the text in text boxes.  I get a message about
links missing.  I expect this is the link between each
pages' text box so information will wrap between each
text box.

Any ideas?

0
jimpyles (2)
9/29/2003 6:28:46 PM
Did you try locking the graphics and text together before cutting and
pasting?

--

> I do plan on exporting to PDF. My problem was all the
> work it will take to cut and paste so many times for
> chapters as you suggest.  Plus when I have tried to do
> that for some reason it copies photos and other objects
> but not the text in text boxes.  I get a message about
> links missing.  I expect this is the link between each
> pages' text box so information will wrap between each
> text box.
>
> Any ideas?

0
RetiredEngr (169)

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C38727.7192DB70

You are really using the wrong product for a book that size.
You would be substantially better off with Serif PagePlus ver. 9.0
The pictures are properly linked and not embedded and linked like =
Publisher.
I use Publisher extensively as well as PagePlus and I would not tackle a =
job like you are doing in Publisher.

--
------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C38727.7192DB70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>You are really using the wrong product for a =
book that=20
size.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>You would be substantially better off with <A =

href=3D"http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplus9/index.asp">Serif =
PagePlus ver.=20
9.0</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>The pictures are properly linked and not =
embedded and=20
linked like Publisher.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>I use Publisher extensively as well as =
PagePlus and I=20
would not tackle a job like you are doing in Publisher.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000></FONT><BR><FONT color=3D#000000>--=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C38727.7192DB70--

0
donotknock (1942)

------=_NextPart_000_0099_01C38728.1973FFE0

[...]

would not tackle a job like you are doing in=20
Publisher.</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT color=3D#000000>-- </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0099_01C38728.1973FFE0--

0
donotknock (1942)

sumifs help

Help !

Practice Files
Hi. I just purchased a used copy of "Step by Step Microsoft Excel 97 Visual Basic" by Reed Jacobson. Unfortunately, the practice files seem to be corupt on the accompanying CD. Does anyone have access to these file that they might send to me or know where I can download them? Thanks, Mike. mdemos@REMOVETHISattglobal.net ...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Uplaod file / Image file grater that 3mb.
Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. What to Do? I am using WINHTTP. You could try WinRar to break the file into smaller chunks Les <shrikant.gurav11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9cccc88a-a554-47ff-866f-c394295483ac@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. > What to Do? > I am using WINHTTP. ...

exch 5.5 help

Problems sharing a file
I'm running Excel 97 SR2 and Win98SE. When I share the workbook Excel wants to save the book. OK. It then notifies me that it contains macros & VB code ... OK. I then get an illegal operation message and it closes Excel without saving. When I open the file again, sharing is not enabled. Did I miss something? Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Oscar ...

Can't load old .PST files
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000 and have saved my .PST files before reformating. After installing Outlook 2000, I tried to get all my mail/calendar/contacts back by using the .PST files I had saved but it doesn't work. I have a file named outlook.pst and one caled archive.pst. How can I use them? If trying to 'read' frm a cd you cannot OL requires read/write access. Copy frm cd to hd, ensure read only flag is off, then in OL File/Open/Personal Folders.... browse to location David "Louise" <pou@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:064201c36b45$9136f7c0$a101280a@p...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Publisher (PUB) file viewer?
How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having the actual software? You don't. You can't. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Steezy20" <Steezy20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75144304-0B4C-4EED-B4F7-614D6085FD65@microsoft.com... > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having > the > actual software? Steezy20 wrote: > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without > having the actual software? Look, you l...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

Looking for control to browse files
Hi, I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I amworking with) I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such. I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item. I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good. What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file, something like a simple Open dialog Can someone point me to the right documentation, please ...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

CFile::GetLength error in processing HUGE file.
Hi�� I have a question about my VC6 app. I read a huge binary file, which is >4GB. An exception will throwed when I run to the code below: .... CFile fileSrc(strSrcFilePath,CFile::modeRead); dwSrcLen = (unsigned long)fileSrc.GetLength(); <--- this row of code results in error! .... My app hangs in EINCORE.CPP, and the debug message is: CFile exception: generic, File Unknown, OS error information = 87. Any helps? Thanks. David, You do know that the largest integer that can be stored in a 32- bit unsigned long is 4 gig, right? So, clearly you are not going to get the value you w...