Gradient Transparency in Publisher 2003

I'm new at Publisher 2003 and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong.  After creating my page of text and graphics I decided I wanted a gradient in the background of the page.  I drew a box, filled it with a gradient, and moved it the the back of the document layers.  When I printed it, the gradient looked too dark.  I went into the "fill" settings for the box and adjusted the transparency for the gradient to make it look "softer" on the page.  Now the transparency looks great in Publisher, but when I print it I get the same dark gradient as before.  It acts like my printer is ignoring the transparency setting on my gradient.  Am I doing something wrong?  My printer is an HP Officejet.  Even the "print preview" command shows me the original dark gradient.  I've tried restarting, saving the document as a different name, etc.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
0
dhertz (1)

Is the printer PostScript?
Publisher 2003 Does Not Print Transparent Areas
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829174&Product=pub
HP may have newer drivers for your printer.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"dhertz" <dhertz@charter.net> wrote in message
> I'm new at Publisher 2003 and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong.  After
creating my page of text and graphics I decided I wanted a gradient in the background
of the page.  I drew a box, filled it with a gradient, and moved it the the back of
the document layers.  When I printed it, the gradient looked too dark.  I went into
the "fill" settings for the box and adjusted the transparency for the gradient to
make it look "softer" on the page.  Now the transparency looks great in Publisher,
but when I print it I get the same dark gradient as before.  It acts like my printer
is ignoring the transparency setting on my gradient.  Am I doing something wrong?  My
printer is an HP Officejet.  Even the "print preview" command shows me the original
dark gradient.  I've tried restarting, saving the document as a different name, etc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0
laserdog (1122)
2/1/2004 10:32:06 AM
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
from dhertz <dhertz@charter.net>...
> Now the
> transparency looks great in Publisher, but when I print it I get the
> same dark gradient as before.

This is a known issue.
For your purposes, I would suggest altering the colours of the gradient,
rather than the transparency.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/1/2004 11:19:58 AM
Mary Sauer wrote:
> Is the printer PostScript?
> Publisher 2003 Does Not Print Transparent Areas
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829174&Product=pub
> HP may have newer drivers for your printer.

Mary,

Whether the printer is PS or not is entirely irrelevant - I have *NEVER*
used a PS printer and it has always been thus - this is a Hercules beetle
and one MS couldn't be bothered to fix - it's the same in 2002 as well.

0
cerridwen (233)
2/1/2004 2:06:52 PM
On the other hand, if one creates a gradient in a Paint program and inserts it into
Publisher it will print properly. I've not had an issue doing it this way. Gradients
aren't all that useful. The Knowledge Base does talk about changing the vector in
Publisher into a raster to get the effect.

--
"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> Mary Sauer wrote:
> > Is the printer PostScript?
> > Publisher 2003 Does Not Print Transparent Areas
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829174&Product=pub
> > HP may have newer drivers for your printer.
>

> Mary,
>
> Whether the printer is PS or not is entirely irrelevant - I have *NEVER*
> used a PS printer and it has always been thus - this is a Hercules beetle
> and one MS couldn't be bothered to fix - it's the same in 2002 as well.

0
laserdog (1122)
2/1/2004 6:45:14 PM
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
from Mary Sauer <laserdog@mycolumbus.rr.com>...
> On the other hand, if one creates a gradient in a Paint program and
> inserts it into Publisher it will print properly. I've not had an
> issue doing it this way. Gradients aren't all that useful. The
> Knowledge Base does talk about changing the vector in Publisher into
> a raster to get the effect.

I have had the same trouble with semitransparent PNGs and EPSes.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/1/2004 8:00:43 PM
I am having the same problem right now.  Unfortunately,
I'm using a picture as the background image and cannot go
in and change the colors on it without changing the
transparency.  I have access to Photoshop, is there a way
to change my publisher document to something in Photoshop
to print it properly?
0
anonymous (74719)
2/2/2004 7:15:08 PM
You can create a gradient in Photoshop and import it into Publisher.

--
"Tara Pfeifer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having the same problem right now.  Unfortunately,
> I'm using a picture as the background image and cannot go
> in and change the colors on it without changing the
> transparency.  I have access to Photoshop, is there a way
> to change my publisher document to something in Photoshop
> to print it properly?

0
laserdog (1122)

Actual hours
Hi All, I am using Project Server 2007 together with Project 2007 pro. For one of our enterprise projects I noticed that Actual Hours are not moved to project pro. I can see reported hours (actual hours) in Reporting database but I do not see them under Published database (for this some project of course). Do you know how to move hours to publish database? Just to give you overview since that week is possible for Project Manager to approve time submited by users and see them in Project Pro ( in published database). However for last 3 monts that hours are not in published dat...

Show subject in sent items in Office 2003
I have Outlook 2003. I ran the repair in the help bar and now I do not have the subject listed in my sent items box, I have the date recieved, sent,and size..... but I do not have the subject or who it was sent to. How do I get this back? Can any body help? View, Current View, Customize Current View. jimmyoz wrote: > > I have Outlook 2003. I ran the repair in the help bar and now I do not have > the subject listed in my sent items box, I have the date recieved, sent,and > size..... > but I do not have the subject or who it was sent to. How do I get th...

How to start Outlook 2003 from scratch.
Hello all, I already have a log in account with Outlook.PST file. How to start Outlook 2003 from ground scratch again with a brand new different PST file? TIA. ...

From new Publisher to old
Hi. I have constructed a document in Publisher XP, and I am now sitting at a computer with Publisher 2000. And I need the document now. Is there anyway that I online can convert the document. I realise I should have converted at the computer with the newer Publisher, and I though I did - but I must have forgotten. Is there any way I can get around my stupid mistake, or will I HAVE to pay? ...

select a series that is transparent for formatting in a bar chart
I am creating a Gantt chart using a floating bar chart. I have changed the fill and border of series one to none. This worked fine and it can't be seen. However it still shows up in the legend. How can I select this series so I can take it out of the legend. Thanks Hi, For information on deleting legend entries http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm Cheers Andy NDBC wrote: > I am creating a Gantt chart using a floating bar chart. I have changed the > fill and border of series one to none. This worked fine and it can't be seen. > Howeve...

Publisher shuts down
Please forgive me if this is long winded. I'm running Office 2000 Premium. When I click on any existing Publisher files, they open but immediately close with the notice 'MSPUB.exe has generated errors' etc, and says it's creating an error log and I will have to restart the program. Can someone please tell me how? I'm not very computer literate but learning fast with this problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling through the Add/Remove programs (several times), I used detect & repair, used the scan disc features, defragged, cleaned out all my temp files, ev...

Back to back printing with Publisher 2007 in General
It's beginning to become apparent to me that there are MANY problems with back-to-back booklet printing in Publisher 2007. I've tried printing this project on three printers now and run into similar problems no matter which one we use. 1) Even using a duplex printer it seems to be impossible to set things up to print on both sides. 2) Even after using the Wizard to set up single-page / flip over back- to-back printing it seems to be impossible to get it to work 3) There are various cropping problems with the edges of things being cut off that display perfectly on the screen and in pr...

subtotals 2003
When I try to create subtotals in Excel 2003, the subtotals choice in Data is grayed. I have created the list and have made sure the table is inactive. This worksheet and subtotals works on a different computer, but I cannot get it to work on mine. ...

can't open majority of attachments in Outlook 2003
I installed someone's quick fix of Outlook Tools and cleared (I think) the Temp File Folder and this still didn't help. The message I get when I try to open 99.9% attachments in Outlook is: that the OUtlook file OLK19DF does not have a program associated with it. I need to go to My Computer to create an association and then click View>Options>and then click file types. I've tried everything at that place and nothing is happening. :confused:I'm a senior and admittedly, I am not a computer genius but I seriously can not figure out what to do. Can someone p...

Outlook 2003 Junk Mail Filter Update
Updates to the junk mail filter often result in more junk being delivered than prior to the update. Happened again this week. I am not deleting obvious junk manually. In the past, problem usually corrects itself with the next junk mail filter update. In the mean time its a problem. Anyone else experience this problem or know how I might solve it? Thank you. Outlook-specific newsgroups include: microsoft.public.outlook.general microsoft.public.outlook.bcm microsoft.public.outlook.bcm.developers microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring microsoft.public.outlook.contacts micros...

Outlook 2003 Cached Mode problem
Hi all, Just before end of business of Friday we had a problem with Outlook 2003 and cached mode and thought I would float it on here to see if anyone has any ideas on what to look for next week. We are in the middle of an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration. The Exchange 5.5 enterprise has multiple sites and multiple domains. We are doing one of the first sites at the moment and have introduced a new 2003 server and are migrating users across. Most of the users are still Outlook 97 / 98 users and they have been fine with plans to upgrade them later on. Did our first couple of Outlook ...

Publisher 2007 Mail Merge #2
I'm trying to use an Excel file for a mail merge in Publisher (mailing labels). There are 50 addresses and I can only get Publisher to print each address across an entire sheet of labels so I end up with 30 labels with the same address. How do I set this up to print one address per label so I end up with 50 labels? thanks! larry ...

Digital Certificate problems with Outlook 2003
Hi everyone, I have been facing a weird problem with some verisign certificates in outlook 2003. The problem goes like this. I configure a certificate which is able to sign and ecncrypt e-mail. I�m able to sign mail with this certificate. The receiving party is able to read the signed mail and even able to reply with an encrypted mail to te original sender. However, once the original sender receives the encrypted mail Outlook displays an error indicating that the underlying criptography platform is unable to find the name of the digintal ID (the error is not exactly that 'cause I&#...

How do I send a publisher newsletter in an email?
Everytime I try to send the newsletter in publisher it will not go? What do I need to do? Convert it to a PDF document.. to do this, you will need a program that can do this.. Try PrimoPDF.. http://www.primopdf.com/ It is free, btw.. "'Gina" <'Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3721B27-530A-426C-B9B2-9785D3EF232D@microsoft.com... > Everytime I try to send the newsletter in publisher it will not go? What > do > I need to do? Reference: Create and send e-mail publications using Publisher: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publish...

Money 2003 Reconcile help...archive recovery possible?
Around the first of the year, I archive my Money 2003 file and it messed up my checking account to the point where I have to change the starting balance when I reconcile. It seems that Money archived all transactions older than 1/1/2005, regardless of whether they were reconciled yet or not! I could complain about that forever it ticks me off so much. I manually added back the transactions that were still outstanding and if I fudge the starting balance each month, I am able to reconcile as long as I take the "ignore differences" option when I am balanced by my reckoning. My quest...

Gradient
Hi, I am trying to change the gradient to the background of my chart. I want to start with a blue on top and reduce the gradient so that eventually I have no colour at the bottom (i.e. white). I have found the gradient but the colour at the bottom is still a very light blue. Any advice? You need to tell us which version of PowerPoint. Gradients are very different in 2007. -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Caz" wrote: > Hi, > > I...

Scroll Mouse in VBA 2003
Since moving from Office 2000 to 2003 the Scroll wheel does not work in the Excel VBA Editor. Anyone know a fix? The MS 4.x driver works fine for me in all versions of Excel for scrolling modules in the VBE. The 5.x driver does not, so I downgraded after trying it. Some people swear by this as a fix for 5.x: http://www.gasanov.net/VBScroll.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "A. Morolez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c08301c489e5$a9462880$a501280a@phx.gbl... | Since moving from Office 2000 to 2003 the Scroll wheel | does not work in the Excel V...

Money 2003 Deluxe: Why does the Split Transactions sometimes NOT subtract?
One thing I DO NOT UNDERSTAND about MS Money is why, for reasons which are not apparent to me, when working with the Split Transactions dialog box, that it decides, all by itself, that it should not even attempt to make totals subtract from the whole transaction? Why does it sometimes just start at $0.00 and add up, instead of subtracting from the total of the check? Rod When you set the check total, Money thinks that you are saying that the splits should add up to that amount. If you want the total caculated as the sum of the splits, it is better to leave the total blank, then enter th...

about transparent window
hello I use SetLayeredWindowAttributes API then the other control(Button or EditBox...) all transparent, but I want the control not transparent,Now,I use UpDateLayeredWindow API then I cannot see any control in my window but can respond message(click..),those all not I want.Please help me thank Show code. joe On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:40:00 -0800, zola <zola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hello > I use SetLayeredWindowAttributes API then the other control(Button or >EditBox...) all transparent, but I want the control not transparent,Now,I use > UpDateLa...

Word 2003 Menu items
I accidentally deleted "Tools" from the main menu bar. How do I get it back? Most answers on Word itself tell you to use the Tools menu, but of course I can't do that as it isn't there Right-click any toolbar and choose Customize from the context menu. You should then be able to drag the Tools menu back to the menu bar. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Frank3633" <Frank3633@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3185543-A4C5-4DEE-BBC5-120A52F5FA60@microsoft.com... >I accidentally deleted "Tools" from the main...

Archiving in Outlook 2003 #2
Hi, I'm trying to set up one of my users to AutoArchive only her Sent Items folder. We're in an exchange 2003 environment, and she has Outlook 2003. She has a quite large directory structure. So as I see it, the obvious way to do this is first to set the following options in her global archive settings: -Check "Run autoarchive every 7 days" -uncheck prompt -uncheck delete -uncheck archive or delete old items Then in the folder-specific archive settings for the Sent Items folder: -Check "Archive this folder using these settings" -Clean out items older than 6 mon...

outlook 2003 Send/Receive disappears
Friend called me about this and I had never seen it before - any comments ? Open Outlook 2003 you see the SEND/RECEIVE button on the toolbar and then after 5-10 seconds it disappears from the standard toolbar. I walked him thru right-click on toolbar - customize and Tools - but Send/Receive not there. He said that PC had no changes when this started happening. He had tried Outlook - REPAIR prior to calling me. He did have Zonealarm Pro on there until last week and then he installed Norton Internet Security, but he said this was an issue before those changes. He's going to reins...

MS PUBLISHER 2007 #2
We have most of our office computers using Windows XP Pro, with Publisher 2003. Our newest computers have Microsoft VISTA with Publisher 2007. We cannot open any of the files we created in Publisher 2003 in Publisher 2007. Is there an upgrade or security issue. Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mike Eckert" <Mike Eckert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02BBF751-B7...

Publisher 2007 #25
First and after today probably last time Publisher user! Can anyone restore my faith in 'user friendly' MS products? I have a single page to print out as part of a report. When I print it I get the entire page divided into quarters and each quarter is printed on a separate page. Or better described as having cutting out 1/4 of a page for 4 pages and a lot of tape!. Is there any way of printing the one page I need on one page???? Or copying it over to another Office program for printing??? Any help is appreciated. Are you using standard size stock? If not, have you setup y...

Can Publisher capture a website from the web?
I have 2 sites that I have been managing for a few years with netObjects Fusion. Fusion will not run on my new Vista computer and I have been playing with Publisher 2007 and like it. Rather than rebuilding 2 websites from scratch I am wondering if there is a way I can "take" them from the web into Publisher, short of copy past bit by bit. PS - Fusion creates a proprietary file so its files are of little use. Thanks Lynn wrote: > I have 2 sites that I have been managing for a few years with netObjects > Fusion. Fusion will not run on my new Vista computer and I have been ...