General Editing Questions for Publisher 2007

I am very familar with Word 2007, but only somewhat familar with Publisher 
2007.

  I was just give a 242 page manscript in Publisher 2007 and asked to edit 
it.  I am having a problem as I seem to create more problems with each one I 
fix.  Let me list them and see if you might help me:

 1. Can I do a page break?  The manuscript seems to use an object and text 
rolls over to another page. This wrapping of text overflows and causes 
subtitles of my text to appear at the top or botton of a page.
2. Can I do automatic footnotes and endnotes?  I try to add them now, but 
they are all part of what appears to be each page's text box.  Footnotes 
appear either at the bottom or top with each overflow.
3. Can I do an automatic table of contents?  I am now doing it manually, and 
of course this is driving me crazy. 
4. A paper-thin blue line appears at the bottom of some pages.  Print view 
shows they do not print.  What are they telling me?
5. I feel if I can do a forced page break, I can at least confine my 
overflow within a chapter.  I tried a Break Forward Link thinking this would 
do this - and lo and beyond I came up with blank pages from that point on.  
The undelete solved my problem. Whew.  However, I need to understand this 
feature better.
6. Is there an online tutotial that may assist me as Publisher quick 
reference when I get stuck?

Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide.


0
Steve3367 (862)
3/2/2009 9:24:03 PM
publisher 21446 articles. 6 followers. Follow

3 Replies
444 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

Lots of help here
Help for Publisher 2007
http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Publisher does not support footnotes, an index or TOC. Long documents are best 
done in Word as you are discovering. Footnotes will have to be manually 
inserted, best in a new text box.

With your cursor in front of the text, ctrl+shift+enter will put the text in the 
next text box if the text boxes are linked.


-- 
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CC061C69-47D9-43F9-AF71-4862795BE223@microsoft.com...
>I am very familar with Word 2007, but only somewhat familar with Publisher
> 2007.
>
>  I was just give a 242 page manscript in Publisher 2007 and asked to edit
> it.  I am having a problem as I seem to create more problems with each one I
> fix.  Let me list them and see if you might help me:
>
> 1. Can I do a page break?  The manuscript seems to use an object and text
> rolls over to another page. This wrapping of text overflows and causes
> subtitles of my text to appear at the top or botton of a page.
> 2. Can I do automatic footnotes and endnotes?  I try to add them now, but
> they are all part of what appears to be each page's text box.  Footnotes
> appear either at the bottom or top with each overflow.
> 3. Can I do an automatic table of contents?  I am now doing it manually, and
> of course this is driving me crazy.
> 4. A paper-thin blue line appears at the bottom of some pages.  Print view
> shows they do not print.  What are they telling me?
> 5. I feel if I can do a forced page break, I can at least confine my
> overflow within a chapter.  I tried a Break Forward Link thinking this would
> do this - and lo and beyond I came up with blank pages from that point on.
> The undelete solved my problem. Whew.  However, I need to understand this
> feature better.
> 6. Is there an online tutotial that may assist me as Publisher quick
> reference when I get stuck?
>
> Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide.
>
> 


0
mary.sauer (2018)
3/2/2009 10:45:57 PM
Thank you Mary.

I have been looking at the tutorial link you sent. It is most helpful.

I do have one question.  I went to the demo for the create link.  This is 
most helpful, but , what is happening in my case is each page seems to have a 
text box that links overflows (links) to the next page.  That is fine, BUT, 
when I break the link, for example if I break the second link of a 10 box 
link, I lose (now I know from the demo it is is in overflow mode) the text in 
the other boxes.  So how can I start a new link in the middle of a link?

Steve

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Lots of help here
> Help for Publisher 2007
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx?ofcresset=1
> 
> Publisher does not support footnotes, an index or TOC. Long documents are best 
> done in Word as you are discovering. Footnotes will have to be manually 
> inserted, best in a new text box.
> 
> With your cursor in front of the text, ctrl+shift+enter will put the text in the 
> next text box if the text boxes are linked.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> 
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:CC061C69-47D9-43F9-AF71-4862795BE223@microsoft.com...
> >I am very familar with Word 2007, but only somewhat familar with Publisher
> > 2007.
> >
> >  I was just give a 242 page manscript in Publisher 2007 and asked to edit
> > it.  I am having a problem as I seem to create more problems with each one I
> > fix.  Let me list them and see if you might help me:
> >
> > 1. Can I do a page break?  The manuscript seems to use an object and text
> > rolls over to another page. This wrapping of text overflows and causes
> > subtitles of my text to appear at the top or botton of a page.
> > 2. Can I do automatic footnotes and endnotes?  I try to add them now, but
> > they are all part of what appears to be each page's text box.  Footnotes
> > appear either at the bottom or top with each overflow.
> > 3. Can I do an automatic table of contents?  I am now doing it manually, and
> > of course this is driving me crazy.
> > 4. A paper-thin blue line appears at the bottom of some pages.  Print view
> > shows they do not print.  What are they telling me?
> > 5. I feel if I can do a forced page break, I can at least confine my
> > overflow within a chapter.  I tried a Break Forward Link thinking this would
> > do this - and lo and beyond I came up with blank pages from that point on.
> > The undelete solved my problem. Whew.  However, I need to understand this
> > feature better.
> > 6. Is there an online tutotial that may assist me as Publisher quick
> > reference when I get stuck?
> >
> > Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide.
> >
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
Steve3367 (862)
3/2/2009 11:38:01 PM
Break the link where you want a new text box to start. Elongate the box with the 
text, cut/paste the text into a new box.

This is the disadvantage of using Publisher when you have a long document.

-- 
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E12FA9E4-49B5-45A7-8347-27A92A099197@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Mary.
>
> I have been looking at the tutorial link you sent. It is most helpful.
>
> I do have one question.  I went to the demo for the create link.  This is
> most helpful, but , what is happening in my case is each page seems to have a
> text box that links overflows (links) to the next page.  That is fine, BUT,
> when I break the link, for example if I break the second link of a 10 box
> link, I lose (now I know from the demo it is is in overflow mode) the text in
> the other boxes.  So how can I start a new link in the middle of a link?
>
> Steve
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Lots of help here
>> Help for Publisher 2007
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx?ofcresset=1
>>
>> Publisher does not support footnotes, an index or TOC. Long documents are 
>> best
>> done in Word as you are discovering. Footnotes will have to be manually
>> inserted, best in a new text box.
>>
>> With your cursor in front of the text, ctrl+shift+enter will put the text in 
>> the
>> next text box if the text boxes are linked.
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:CC061C69-47D9-43F9-AF71-4862795BE223@microsoft.com...
>> >I am very familar with Word 2007, but only somewhat familar with Publisher
>> > 2007.
>> >
>> >  I was just give a 242 page manscript in Publisher 2007 and asked to edit
>> > it.  I am having a problem as I seem to create more problems with each one 
>> > I
>> > fix.  Let me list them and see if you might help me:
>> >
>> > 1. Can I do a page break?  The manuscript seems to use an object and text
>> > rolls over to another page. This wrapping of text overflows and causes
>> > subtitles of my text to appear at the top or botton of a page.
>> > 2. Can I do automatic footnotes and endnotes?  I try to add them now, but
>> > they are all part of what appears to be each page's text box.  Footnotes
>> > appear either at the bottom or top with each overflow.
>> > 3. Can I do an automatic table of contents?  I am now doing it manually, 
>> > and
>> > of course this is driving me crazy.
>> > 4. A paper-thin blue line appears at the bottom of some pages.  Print view
>> > shows they do not print.  What are they telling me?
>> > 5. I feel if I can do a forced page break, I can at least confine my
>> > overflow within a chapter.  I tried a Break Forward Link thinking this 
>> > would
>> > do this - and lo and beyond I came up with blank pages from that point on.
>> > The undelete solved my problem. Whew.  However, I need to understand this
>> > feature better.
>> > 6. Is there an online tutotial that may assist me as Publisher quick
>> > reference when I get stuck?
>> >
>> > Thanks for whatever assistance you can provide.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
mary.sauer (2018)
3/3/2009 11:15:52 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

Where is Microsoft Publisher 2002?
Microsoft Publisher 2000 was included in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I can't find Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP). Did Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP) have to be purchased separately? If it is part of the Office XP bundle how do I load it. Not all versions of Office are the same as other versions - just like the different editions vary. You need to read the box to make sure you are getting what you need - or to see what program are included. Pub 2002 had to be purchased separately because it wasn't included with any retail s...

2 Questions
Hi I run Win 2K with Excel 2K Question 1 I have some VB code in the "Sheet 1" module of my excel file. The code is as follows: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column <> 12 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub I would like this code to run automatically whenever the file is opened. (I am assuming that this would remove the enable/disable dialog box option when opening the file) Can someone tell ...

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 Migration Question: No ADC??
Hello all: I have an environment where I need do do an Exch 5.5 to 2003 Migration. The domain has already been migrated from NT4 to 2003. The only thing is, is that there is no Active Directory Connector setup anywhere in the environment. That leads me to my first question I guess. How is this possible that Exch 5.5 is even working with AD? In terms of upgrading, what would recommendations be? It is a single Site. I was thinking about bringing up a new Exch 2003 server, and using "Move Mailbox" to the new exch server. Replicate all the necessary public folders, decomission the old ...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

Pivot Table Question #15
Hey all, Love pivot tables but i have a question, the table is set up as so Month Pallet# BoxesPur BoxesSold Price Frt Gross Net Jan 1 5 1.0 ..3 Formula Formula 2 5 2.0 .5 3 10 3 .15 Jan Total 10 10 6.0 ..95 So, the problem is in the Jan Total row, is there a way...

How do I create a bookfold document in Word 2007?
I am new to Word 2007. How do I create a document in booklet form? Thanks I'm sure you'll get better answers in an MSWord forum. dadolim wrote: > > I am new to Word 2007. How do I create a document in booklet form? Thanks -- Dave Peterson ...

2007 calendar
How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? File, new, publications for print, calendars, select one, select yearly... click Change date range. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Angel" <Angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7253E645-B0BA-4B90-BF7E-7083802EA379@microsoft.com... > How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? ...

email set up in publisher
I set up a newsletter and tried to email it, a setup wizard came up and I cancelled it. now I dont have the send button for emails. how do I get the wizard or send button back? Cassandra Cassandra wrote: > I set up a newsletter and tried to email it, a setup wizard came up and I > cancelled it. now I dont have the send button for emails. how do I get the > wizard or send button back? Cassandra Start either Outlook Express or Windows Mail (whichever you have); this should prompt you. You have to have Outlook Express, Outlook, or Windows Mail set as your default mail client to ...

Mock question?
Hi all Not sure if this is the right group, I am happyo to repost to correct group if I know what that is! but in the mean time - here goes I am using NMock2 and I have question. I have the following interface: public interface ITime { int Hour { get; } } and the following weather service: public class WeatherService:ITime { public string GetTodaysWeather() { if (Hour >= 0 && Hour <= 6) { return "Sunny"; } else if (Hour >= 7 &&...

Article published by Microsoft reg. 'Event' custom entity
Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen it and can provide a hyperlink? I will really appreciate it. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.aspx you'll probably find it in the above link "mkatsev" wrote: > Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a > sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I > bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

2007 License
I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download together with key There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. (The EULA in Word being dependant on the above) How can I determine if this is licensed to install on a second device, other than trying? - The PID? Contact the MS Partner Program? "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message news:uVA$w8lpKHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... :I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download : together with key : There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. : (The EULA...

Recurring General Ledger Transaction in GP
HI there, Any of you guys having idea on how to handle Recurring General Ledger Transaction in GP? For ex. they would like to have a define journal template which could be used on each month. (Just like Scheduled Payments in AP and AR) Thanks in Advance, Logu I just replied to this on Partner Forum Page. In case you missed it: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerdynamicsgp/thread/fa1054ad-3e8e-4567-83a9-1b65286433be -- Thanks Vaidy Mohan www.vaidy-dyngp.com "Logu" wrote: > HI there, > > Any of you guys having idea on how to handle Recurring General ...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...

Using Risk+ with MSP 2007
We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with the Risk+ people on this. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote: > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run > into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? W...

Installation question 06-05-07
I have one server with sql2005 running MOSS 2007 (sharepoint) I would like that sql server also to run CRM dynamics 3.0 pro. We are only 5 users and its a rather fast server so we believe it will go fine performance vice. Can I install SRS from the crm3 disk on a SQL2005 ? does it NEED default website and port 80 ? (the MOSS are using that) any help appreciated Hello, I suggest install SQLServer 2005 Reporting Services (SRS) manually using the SQLServer 2005 installation media. Configure SRS to use a different (new) website, having its own application pool. Then during CRM setup speci...

Publisher 2003 #42
I am working on a 50+ page document in Publisher 2003, which I imported from Word. Suddenly, pages that were previously consecutive are "jumping" when I scroll through the document, jumping from page 19 to 33, etc. The text box links at the bottom of each page are working. I've tried cutting and pasting into a new document in case this one is corrupt, but with no success. I'd hate to have to start again, because I don't know what I could do differently, but this document is useless the way it is. Any ideas? Thanks. - Eldeem Description of the "Import Word Document...

Personal.xls not hidden in Excel 2007?
Hi, When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too, in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.) If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like. Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden? I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file. Thanks, Sam I haven't tried...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

Publish as PDF or XPS plug-in
I am using Publisher 2007 on a Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3 box. When I go File > Publish as PDF or XPS and publish a document using the default settings for high quality printing with the "Open file after publishing" option enabled, the PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat 4.0. In the Windows Tools > Folder Options > File Types window, I have configured the file type PDF to open with Adobe Reader 9.0. When I double click a PDF on the desktop, the PDF opens in Adobe Reader 9.0. When I use the publish as PDF or XPS plug-in to create a PDF, the PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat 4.0. Why? Ch...

Project server 2007 Timesheet creation
Hi, We are using project server 2007. When create a new timehseet, we are facing the following issues. 1. Sometimes the timesheet will be created with all the data filled with the planned hours against the standard row. 1. If we try to add the a new line to the timesheet using Add Lines, it will be added without project name and tasks. Please help me to resolve the issues. Thanks, arun Are you getting add-lines dialog box when you try to add...if your able to see then you shoud select the project task and say ok.hope this helps "Arun" wrote: > Hi, ...

Rounded Corners in Excel 2007 Not Working?!?!
Hi, I can't get rounded corners to work in Excel 2007: I make a chart I right click on Char Area I Select Format Chart Area A Dialogue Box Pops Up with the following Selections: - Fill - Border Color - Border Styles - Shadow - 3-D Format I select fill and fill the chart area with a color .. say blue I right click on chart area again and this time select Border Styles and the following options are available: - Width - Compound Type - Cap Type (drop down menu) - Join Type (drop down menu) - Arrow Settings I click Cap Type and a drop down menu appears with the following options: - Squa...

Outlook 2007 "profile"
Frustrating. When I open Outlook 2007, the program displays a "Choose Profile" screen (with only one option, called Outlook). This is rather new, and I don't know what I did to cause this. I simply want Outlook to open normally without this Profile screen. Any thoughts or comments? By the way, I did check the block that says to make this profile the default -- that didn't help. Thanks. EW Open the mail applet in the control panel. Select show profiles button. Your after the settings at the bottom of the dialog. "Lone Star" <ewyatt_del_me-@excit...