Frozen Document - Cannot Edit

I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in my group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it won't let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!

(1) Next time use a .pdf format. there are several free/low cost
alternatives to Acrobat.

(2) What kind of an error messae are you getting? Which version of Publisher
are you using?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
>I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in my
>group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it won't
>let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I
>really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!

---

jl_amerson (3088)
7/1/2004 1:19:10 AM
Microsoft Publisher 2000 SP-3

I found out after the fact that I should have saved it as a .pdf for the others to view.  I'll do this next time.

I am not getting an error message.  I can open the document, but when I click on it to try to edit one of the text boxes, the only thing it will highlight is the border.  I cannot get into and/or edit the individual text boxes and objects.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> (1) Next time use a .pdf format. there are several free/low cost
> alternatives to Acrobat.
>
> (2) What kind of an error messae are you getting? Which version of Publisher
> are you using?
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
> >I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in my
> >group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it won't
> >let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I
> >really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!
When you open this document, do you have the wizard showing in the left
panel? Any chance you have a "Finish" button showing in the lower right
corner of that panel? If so, click on Finish and see if that works.

--

message news:08743BC5-9071-457E-B646-3920EEB77FEE@microsoft.com...
> Microsoft Publisher 2000 SP-3
>
> I found out after the fact that I should have saved it as a .pdf for the
> others to view.  I'll do this next time.
>
> I am not getting an error message.  I can open the document, but when I
> click on it to try to edit one of the text boxes, the only thing it will
> highlight is the border.  I cannot get into and/or edit the individual
> text boxes and objects.
>

> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> (1) Next time use a .pdf format. there are several free/low cost
>> alternatives to Acrobat.
>>
>> (2) What kind of an error messae are you getting? Which version of
>> Publisher
>> are you using?
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
>> >I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in
>> >my
>> >group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it
>> >won't
>> >let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I
>> >really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!

---

jl_amerson (3088)
7/1/2004 1:50:47 AM
The Wizard is there, but there is no finish button.  Any other ideas?  By the way, thanks for your quick responses and help with this.  I really appreciate it.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> When you open this document, do you have the wizard showing in the left
> panel? Any chance you have a "Finish" button showing in the lower right
> corner of that panel? If so, click on Finish and see if that works.
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:08743BC5-9071-457E-B646-3920EEB77FEE@microsoft.com...
> > Microsoft Publisher 2000 SP-3
> >
> > I found out after the fact that I should have saved it as a .pdf for the
> > others to view.  I'll do this next time.
> >
> > I am not getting an error message.  I can open the document, but when I
> > click on it to try to edit one of the text boxes, the only thing it will
> > highlight is the border.  I cannot get into and/or edit the individual
> > text boxes and objects.
> >

> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> (1) Next time use a .pdf format. there are several free/low cost
> >> alternatives to Acrobat.
> >>
> >> (2) What kind of an error messae are you getting? Which version of
> >> Publisher
> >> are you using?
> >>
> >> --
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>

> >> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
Email me privately for an email address so that you can send that file to
me. Let me see what happens.

--

message news:71CE8F1D-2011-4C6B-9F82-E21188E601FF@microsoft.com...
> The Wizard is there, but there is no finish button.  Any other ideas?  By
> the way, thanks for your quick responses and help with this.  I really
> appreciate it.
>

> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> When you open this document, do you have the wizard showing in the left
>> panel? Any chance you have a "Finish" button showing in the lower right
>> corner of that panel? If so, click on Finish and see if that works.
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:08743BC5-9071-457E-B646-3920EEB77FEE@microsoft.com...
>> > Microsoft Publisher 2000 SP-3
>> >
>> > I found out after the fact that I should have saved it as a .pdf for
>> > the
>> > others to view.  I'll do this next time.
>> >
>> > I am not getting an error message.  I can open the document, but when I
>> > click on it to try to edit one of the text boxes, the only thing it
>> > will
>> > highlight is the border.  I cannot get into and/or edit the individual
>> > text boxes and objects.

---

jl_amerson (3088)
7/1/2004 2:40:11 AM
Got it. After you have to outside border highlighted, select Arrange|Send to
Back. Now you can select anything you want.

And I hope you have a succession adoption event. Both of my cats are SPCA
alumni. As were all of the pets I've had as an adult. I support my local
branch as best I can.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
>I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in my
>group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it won't
>let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I
>really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!

---

jl_amerson (3088)
7/1/2004 3:14:24 AM
Thanks so much for your help.  I was really dreading having to put that together again from scratch.

Also, thanks for adopting and caring about homeless pets.  We can only do so much on our own and need the community's help to make this work.  At our first event at this location, we adopted out 3 kittens and 2 adults, which is great!  We're hoping future events will be as successful.

Thanks again!  Give your kitties a pat on the head for me. =)

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Got it. After you have to outside border highlighted, select Arrange|Send to
> Back. Now you can select anything you want.
>
> And I hope you have a succession adoption event. Both of my cats are SPCA
> alumni. As were all of the pets I've had as an adult. I support my local
> branch as best I can.
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "jenniferewilcox" <jenniferewilcox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:96209642-9DA4-4049-B891-C4D1A17AE775@microsoft.com...
> >I made a flyer in Publisher and copied and pasted to Word so others in my
> >group could open it.  Now I want to update the Publisher doc, but it won't
> >let me.  I checked and it is *not* marked read-only.  Any ideas???  I
> >really don't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch.  Thanks!

Import a Word document into an existing Publisher document
Is there a way to import a Word document into an existing Publisher document? I know how to import into a NEW Publisher document. The cut & paste method doesn't work--formatting in the original Word document is not preserved. Help, please. Create a text box where you want the .doc to begin, right-click, click change text, click text file, browse to the Word file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC48BDF8-4A59-467D-A563-8AB1CE0E64D5@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to import a Word docum...

Open in Edit Mode
I currently have a double click function to open another form by double clicking a unique id number. Is there a way to set up the double click to open the other form in "add" mode if there is no number present in the field? Here is the current double click vba I have: Private Sub ServicerID_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.OpenForm "servicersAll", , , "[ID] = " & Me.[ServicerID] & "" End Sub "ServiceEnvoy" <serviceenvoy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191356220.380657.273480@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... >I currently...

How can I search mulitple Word documents with section breaks ?
I have over 100 Word documents, only some of them have section breaks, and I want to replace with hard page breaks. Is it possible to perform a file level search base on the criteria of whether section break is deployed or not ? Hi Pete, To search for a section break in a single file, press Ctrl+F, click More, click Special, and click Section break. Alternatively, you can type ^b directly in the Find what box. Then press Enter. To replace all the section breaks in a single file by hard page breaks, press Ctrl+H. In the Find what box, type ^b, and in the Replace with box,...

Address merge into Publisher 2003 Document
Hello All, I am trying to get my addresses from a csv file into Publisher 2003 to print newsletters. Is there a way to create an address field in Publisher that merges or pulls the data from the source, but does not make a new page for each contact as it merges? I am working on an 8 page newsletter and I need the addresses to be dropped into the last page without changing the number of pages in the document in order for it to print correctly. Is anyone aware of any way to do this? I am also working on postcards and when I do the merge it gives me hundreds of pages, but it also give...

displaying xml document
I have a string which contains an xml document in my app. Does anyone know of an easy way to display XML data in a browser, with nice indentations between nodes, and maybe even the +/- controls that IE uses when displaying XML? Matt You are funny... -- 2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C# Robbe Morris http://www.masterado.net Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp <stotty@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121285423.026083.193470@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a string which contains an xm...

Editing Wrap points of a graphic
I now have the XP version of publisher. I find it very frustrating. It has lost some of its powerful features. In the older versions of publisher one could edit the wraping points of a graphic from it's "box" to fit its actual outline with just the click of a button. Now it seems that the process is much more complicated...Now, as far as I can tell, the only way to edit the wrap points of a graphic is to do it manually one section at a time. Arrange - textwrapping - edit wrap points. Does anyone know of a faster way?? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new ...

Opening Documents
Hi All, I have a problem which is driving me mad. I have tried looking on Microsoft website, but as always, can find no real help. When I open a spreadsheet from my desktop, Excel puts a 1 after the file name, and will only let me save it as a New File. If I open the same file from within Excel, then there are no problems. Any clues?? Cheers Norm Your workbook was saved as a template. See "about templates" in XL Help In article <eEMvDQ9REHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Norman D" <NDoldon@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a problem which is driving me...

Save As "Word 97-2003 Document" format does not save an RTF file i
Thanks for reviewing this question. Word 2007 does not convert a RTF file to the Word 97 (DOC) format when using Save As and selecting the type: Word 97-2003 Document format. To reproduce: Open Word 2007 add some text to the document Select Save As and the file type "Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 RTF (*.doc)" Note file is saved in the RTF format Select Save As and set the type to "Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)" Use the same file name. Notice you will be prompted to save the file again. (This is very annoying to our customers) Open the file in notepad and n...

Office word 2007 cannot open a document on the Desktop
Dear Sir/Madam Hello there, any one can give a help in the last few weeks I saw a error within Office Word 2007, which it can't open a document on the desktop and following message comes up (There was a problem sending the command to the program.). I applied the file extention from Control Panel and it still exists, sometimes I had had to click on the document right click and open it through the choice (Open). Many thanks indeed. Sincerely, Elsharif Run Office Setup from the Control Panel and choose the REPAIR option. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Elsh...

Document Note in SOP inquiry window
There is a note field to the right of Document No in SOP inquiry window. Does anyone know which SQL table is used to store the information when a note is entered into that field? Susan, SY03900 stores all the notes in a company. In the SOP10100 or SOP30200 table the NOTEINDX for that transaction will link to the NOTEINDX in SY03900. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: www.victoriayudin.com "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:559E7D40-2CEA-4DFB-8A85-D...

Importing Scanned Document
I'M TRYING TO IMPORT A SCANNED DOCUMENT INTO MICROSOFT EXCEL AND CAN'T. I'M USING HP LASERJET ALL IN ONE AND WINDOWS XP. CAN SOMEONE GUIDE ME IF THIS CAN BE DONE. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Your best bet is to use the Scanner's OCR feature to scan to a Text(*.txt) file then open that in Excel and let the Text to Columns Wizard do the work. I have an HP Scanjet 4300C and the HP OCR does not too bad a job with most font types when scanning. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:20:33 -0600, lyman <lyman.z4nvm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrot...

Bulk edit script missing semi colon
When trying to perform a bulk edit on all selected contacts under an Account, I received an error message: "An error has occurred on the scrip of this page." Line 249, Char 6, Error: Expected ';' Code 0, URL: http://crminternal//_grid/cmds/dlg_bulkedit.aspx?iObjType=2&iTotal=6&sIds= Do you want to continue running script Yes/No. This same error has been seen by another user in our environment, although I don't believe it is doing the bulk edit from the Account screen. Both systems have been updated to Rollup 2, per the Add/remove programs, although Hel...

saving documents
if I add pointers to the document class as member variables, how does mfc save the data when I save the document at runtime? I'm worried addresses are saved rather than the actual data. wanwan wrote: > if I add pointers to the document class as member variables, how does > mfc save the data when I save the document at runtime? > > I'm worried addresses are saved rather than the actual data. MFC doesn't save the data (or the pointers). If you use the serialize feature of MFC then the data is saved by code that you must write in the document Serialize function. B...

appearence of word document
hi if u please , when i open some word document it appeares confused, i.e : array of small rectangles appeares when open the documents, not all documents .. thanks alot for helping . See the Knowledge Base article "Formatting lost, symbols appear when you open document" at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291180/en-us?spid=2530&sid=106 -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bassam" &l...

Edit the opportunity product price per unit
We do low dollar high volume processing. The default price for a product is set to .25 per unit ---- but this price can vary by customer but CRM does not allow me to modify the price per unit. The only thing I can do is modify the product discount amount to get the total value correct. How do we get CRM setup so you can modify the product price per unit in the opportunity product entity? We do not and will not be using CRM quotes so I don't need any recommendations that I need to use that functionality to get what I'm asking for. Quotes would only work if when you activated ...

Frozen rows
I have created a workbook that has three frozen rows at the top of the page. Is there a way to start numbering the rows below those 3 first. I.E. XDate XJim Glass huts XSales record ---------- 1 2 3 For appearance sake.............................. You can enter =ROW(-3) in A4 then copy down. Then uncheck Tools>Options>View>Row and Column Headers. BUT for the sake of formulas, A4 is still A4 no matter that it says 1. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:20:00 -0800, Old_skills_lost <Oldskillslost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created a work...

Publisher 07 can't open older publisher documents
I've just installed Publisher 2007 but can't open years of work created on older publixher versions. An error message says that publisher no longer supports files created in older versions of itself. Is there a way I can open those documents? I don't know why this is happening. I suspect a security update. I've had several folks email me personally with this situation. One poster sent me two 2000 files that I opened in Publisher 2000, saved and then I could open them in 2007. I could not open the files in 2007 before hand. Might try the instructions in this article:...

Frozen message in Drafts box
With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen. I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit. All I could do was highlight the type. Any ideas as to what might have caused this and how to get out of the situation would be welcome. In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts box the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft only contained placeholders (albeit with full description), but not the actual emoticons. How do I recover from this, without having to rein...

How to avoid save dialog when quit active document
Hi all: I have create a container-server active document. It works well when it opens a document in IE. but when close IE frame , a save dialog prompt out, it says: this document has been modified. Save changes before it was closed? 1 yes: .... I don't want this dialog appears when close IE, how to do it? Best regards. I think, you can use SetModifiedFlag( ) function of COleDocument with value as FALSE. "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:562EC84F-22C0-45FA-9B92-72F0D1ACAB8E@microsoft.com... > Hi all: > I have create ...

Preview pdf document
When I receive a document with a pdf attachtment I would like to preview this attachment in the reading pane without opening it. Is this possible? Greetz, Maarten No. At some point in the future you will be able to with Outlook 2007 and the proper filters installed. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exch...

How do I stop my Publisher 2003 document from saving as a webpag.
When I save a particular publication ( a newsletter) in Publisher 2003 as a Publisher 2000 document (so I can work on it elsewhere) it opens as a web page instead of a print document. When I convert it back to print, I lose a few inches of print on the left page that just don't print even when I change the margins. The missing print shows on the screen normally, it is only in print preview and on paper that it cuts off. Can I stop this from happening? Can I retrieve the missing print? Please help! You may have to reconstruct this publication. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://off...

saving documents
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I go to save a document, my folders do not appear in the "where box". They always did in my older version of Word. How can I save them to the right folder? You have Leopard/Apple to thank for this one :-) Click the square button with the big triangle on it (it's to the right of the Save As:[filename] list) to expand the dialog window. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 8/24/08 3:25 PM, in article 59b57b88.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "mary_12@officeformac.com" <mary_12@office...

Frozen Panes and Visible Graphs...Marti
Thanks for reading. I use Excel 2003 up-to-date. I have a spreadsheet with headers in the first 4 rows, dates in column A, and data starting in B5 - S5 across and down to row 297. I have frozen the pane at B5 so I can see the headers and dates. Columns A-S take up about 2/3 of my screen across. I'd like to put some summary data and graphs in the remaining 1/3, but have them visible on the screen no matter where I am in the rows, from 5 to 297 - does that make sense? So, can I, for example, put the graphs and summary data in U7 - X20 and have it "magically" in U100 - U 114 ...

frozen transactions
MS Money 2004 Windows XP with SP2 I have two transactions (disbursements) that show up in italics in the journal listing and can not be edited or deleted. The originated at Electronic Payments (Epays) that were saved as drafts because my bank was down. When I later went back and tried to submit the payments I got an error message. I deleted the payments from the page where you submit the payments but they did not go away from the journal listing. The little envelope indicating that they are electron pays did go away. Further the date has passed and the payments were not made elect...

tool bar icons for insertion into instruction document
I understand I may be in the wrong group, but I am trying to prepare a rather remedial teaching document and wanted to be able to insert a tool bar icon for recognition into the document but have been unable to locate or determine where I should go to retrieve and insert these icons for visual reference on my training document. Please help. Thanks. ...