File Selection and New file names

Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and 
SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and 
Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow this?
Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the 
"last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My 
Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no 
logic, mostly returning to My Docs. 
Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002 
on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open 
the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub 
file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
  
0
rlh (8)
1/25/2005 8:49:06 PM
publisher 21446 articles. 3 followers. Follow

5 Replies
586 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

You cannot select multiple files in 2000. To have more than one file open in 
Publisher 2000 one has to have the application open multiple times. You can have 
multiple publications open in 2002, but you have to open them one at a time. I think 
you mis-remembered.
Have you set Publisher's options to open publications in a specific folder?

-- 
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:10ABA375-DA61-4033-93EA-365AD33323E7@microsoft.com...
> Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and
> SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and
> Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow this?
> Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the
> "last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My
> Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no
> logic, mostly returning to My Docs.
> Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002
> on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open
> the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub
> file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
> 


0
gsauer (5094)
1/26/2005 8:58:43 AM
I did set the options to open in a specific folder but changed it back to My 
Docs.  Should it not open to what is specified until opening in a new folder, 
then default to the working folder - not the specified folder.

Does F8 still highlight the whole document?

Thanks

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> You cannot select multiple files in 2000. To have more than one file open in 
> Publisher 2000 one has to have the application open multiple times. You can have 
> multiple publications open in 2002, but you have to open them one at a time. I think 
> you mis-remembered.
> Have you set Publisher's options to open publications in a specific folder?
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:10ABA375-DA61-4033-93EA-365AD33323E7@microsoft.com...
> > Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and
> > SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and
> > Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow this?
> > Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the
> > "last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My
> > Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no
> > logic, mostly returning to My Docs.
> > Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002
> > on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open
> > the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub
> > file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
rlh (8)
1/27/2005 12:25:03 AM
F8 selects the whole document in Word, but not Publisher. The Open command in 
Publisher will default to where you opened the first document in the current session.

I am not sure I know what you are asking.

-- 
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:26EDBD35-EB87-4E22-81A9-8817CAE7600E@microsoft.com...
>I did set the options to open in a specific folder but changed it back to My
> Docs.  Should it not open to what is specified until opening in a new folder,
> then default to the working folder - not the specified folder.
>
> Does F8 still highlight the whole document?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> You cannot select multiple files in 2000. To have more than one file open in
>> Publisher 2000 one has to have the application open multiple times. You can have
>> multiple publications open in 2002, but you have to open them one at a time. I 
>> think
>> you mis-remembered.
>> Have you set Publisher's options to open publications in a specific folder?
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:10ABA375-DA61-4033-93EA-365AD33323E7@microsoft.com...
>> > Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and
>> > SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and
>> > Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow this?
>> > Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the
>> > "last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My
>> > Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no
>> > logic, mostly returning to My Docs.
>> > Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002
>> > on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open
>> > the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub
>> > file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
gsauer (5094)
1/27/2005 9:54:09 AM
The problem is that Publisher defaults to the folder where the first file was 
opened only part of the time.  Many times it goes back to My Docs, even 
though files are still open from the working (default)folder. Publish seems 
inconsistent in returning to the last folder from which a file was retrieved 
or returning to My Docs on "Open File".

Thanks

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> F8 selects the whole document in Word, but not Publisher. The Open command in 
> Publisher will default to where you opened the first document in the current session.
> 
> I am not sure I know what you are asking.
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:26EDBD35-EB87-4E22-81A9-8817CAE7600E@microsoft.com...
> >I did set the options to open in a specific folder but changed it back to My
> > Docs.  Should it not open to what is specified until opening in a new folder,
> > then default to the working folder - not the specified folder.
> >
> > Does F8 still highlight the whole document?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> You cannot select multiple files in 2000. To have more than one file open in
> >> Publisher 2000 one has to have the application open multiple times. You can have
> >> multiple publications open in 2002, but you have to open them one at a time. I 
> >> think
> >> you mis-remembered.
> >> Have you set Publisher's options to open publications in a specific folder?
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> >> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:10ABA375-DA61-4033-93EA-365AD33323E7@microsoft.com...
> >> > Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and
> >> > SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and
> >> > Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow this?
> >> > Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the
> >> > "last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My
> >> > Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no
> >> > logic, mostly returning to My Docs.
> >> > Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002
> >> > on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open
> >> > the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub
> >> > file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
rlh (8)
1/28/2005 3:43:07 PM
I have the same problem at times. It is one of those irritations one has to put up 
with, all programs have quirks. I put all my Publisher files in a common folder with 
sub-folders that relate to different projects. Publisher will default to the common 
folder, but with the sub-folders it is a quicker way to find the file you want.

-- 
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A5F9D6F6-7775-4DC7-9BFE-F95AB46AACDC@microsoft.com...
> The problem is that Publisher defaults to the folder where the first file was
> opened only part of the time.  Many times it goes back to My Docs, even
> though files are still open from the working (default)folder. Publish seems
> inconsistent in returning to the last folder from which a file was retrieved
> or returning to My Docs on "Open File".
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> F8 selects the whole document in Word, but not Publisher. The Open command in
>> Publisher will default to where you opened the first document in the current 
>> session.
>>
>> I am not sure I know what you are asking.
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:26EDBD35-EB87-4E22-81A9-8817CAE7600E@microsoft.com...
>> >I did set the options to open in a specific folder but changed it back to My
>> > Docs.  Should it not open to what is specified until opening in a new folder,
>> > then default to the working folder - not the specified folder.
>> >
>> > Does F8 still highlight the whole document?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>> >
>> >> You cannot select multiple files in 2000. To have more than one file open in
>> >> Publisher 2000 one has to have the application open multiple times. You can 
>> >> have
>> >> multiple publications open in 2002, but you have to open them one at a time. I
>> >> think
>> >> you mis-remembered.
>> >> Have you set Publisher's options to open publications in a specific folder?
>> >>
>> >> -- 
>> >> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> >> "rlh" <rlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:10ABA375-DA61-4033-93EA-365AD33323E7@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Question #1:  When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and
>> >> > SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files.  This works in Word 2002 and
>> >> > Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000.  Is there a setting to allow 
>> >> > this?
>> >> > Question #2:  How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the
>> >> > "last" file opened when opening another file?  Sometimes it returns to "My
>> >> > Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no
>> >> > logic, mostly returning to My Docs.
>> >> > Comment:  Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05.  When started  using Publish 2002
>> >> > on new computer and opening files created in Publish 2000, it did not open
>> >> > the file as its own named file, but kept opening them as a new untitled Pub
>> >> > file.  However it started working ok later with no change on my part.
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
gsauer (5094)
1/29/2005 9:23:47 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

link a popup form to edit selected record
Hello All, I am usiing Access 2007 and I have a form that contains three subforms that are used to review data. Specifically, the first subform (fsubData_List) is a list of all the records in the datasource. The second subform (fsubData_search) contains an edit button and is going to be used to search and filter from the entire dataset. The third subform (fsubData_detail) is used to list all of the detailed information for the record selected in the first subform. This is done via a hidden field call txtRelay which is used to store the unique ID for the selected record. This all ...

Extracting names from a database.
In column A I have twenty groups, in Column B ref#, In Column C First Name, In Column D Surname and In Column E the numerical value. The data rows are from 2 to 534. I can find the total and maximum for each group using arrays. 1. What I like is the name of who has the highest value in each group. 2. If they are tied then all the names that are tied maximum. 3. If possible all the names in the group with a value over 2. I hope that this makes sense. Hi try: 1. =INDEX(D2:D534,MATCH(MAX(E2:E534),E2:E534,0)) 2. Try the following array formula: =INDEX($D$2:$D$534,SMALL(IF($E$2:$E$534=MA...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Outlook 2003: Copy Full Names to email display Names
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. I believe 2000 used to choose email addresses based on the Full Name field. 2003 appears to choose based on the Email Display name. Most of my email Display Names are just the email addresses. What is the easiest way to copy the Full Name to the email Display Name? What do you mean by "choose email addresses?" The Display Name has varied with each version of Outlook, but it is of no consequence. What makes you think it is? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message new...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

Outlook Setup
Hi, I am looking at getting outlook 2003 with exchange 2003 (running on 2003 R2 server) and we would like to have outlook automatically populate the exchange settings for each user when they logon. What options do i have with this? Is profgen the only option? Thanks Profgen is too old. Look at the Office Custom Installation Wizard, or a third-party fee tool like Profile Maker. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Paul Stilgoe" <stilgs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154648749.175001.41050@75g2000cwc.googlegroup...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Selecting columns containing spaces
Both of these Select statements return the same set of rows. How can I find out what's really in them? Select * from tblAcademics where description = "" Select * from tblAcademics where description = " " In particular, can I trust that description is not null in those rows? The following SQL returns no rows Select * from tblAcademics where description is null A column is either NULL or NOT NULL. It cannot be both. If it contains a space or an empty string then it is NOT NULL. -Dorian "Laurel" wrote: > Both of these Select statements return t...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...