drawing lines in publisher

In the old Publisher to draw a pefectly straight line you just held down
control and drew, it snapped to either horizontial or vertical depending on
what you where creating.  How do you do that in 2002?
0
wrhl.info (1)

It's the SHIFT key that you hold down, not CTRL. I think it was always that
way, but I could be wrong.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:43:08 -0700, wrhl.info
<wrhl.info@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In the old Publisher to draw a pefectly straight line you just held down
>control and drew, it snapped to either horizontial or vertical depending on
>what you where creating.  How do you do that in 2002?

0
anonymous (74721)
9/25/2004 2:19:02 AM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Myrna
Larson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> It's the SHIFT key that you hold down, not CTRL. I think it was
> always that way, but I could be wrong.

All lines drawn in Publisher are perfectly straight, unless you use the
curved line tool or something.

Holding Shift makes the line align to principle angles (multiples of 15�),
and holding Ctrl sets the first point clicked as the centre of the line
rather than the end.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
9/25/2004 12:05:54 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
> Myrna Larson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
>> It's the SHIFT key that you hold down, not CTRL. I think it was
>> always that way, but I could be wrong.
>
> All lines drawn in Publisher are perfectly straight, unless you use
> the curved line tool or something.
>
> Holding Shift makes the line align to principle angles (multiples of
> 15�), and holding Ctrl sets the first point clicked as the centre of
> the line rather than the end.

That would be 'principal' angles, Ed! ;o) How long ago was it you did your
English GCSE? And, IIRC, you got an A* (or was it an A+?)

*principle* /n./ a general truth or assumption from which to argue. A
general rule of morality that guides conduct.http://tinyurl.com/5yk99

*principal* /n./ or /adj/ chief or main. http://tinyurl.com/6mdjg

lose his marbles?

0
misstick (379)
9/25/2004 9:53:05 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
> That would be 'principal' angles, Ed! ;o) How long ago was it you did
> your English GCSE? And, IIRC, you got an A* (or was it an A+?)

Gah - -al and -le have never quite settled with me. :-\ They didn't care
much about minor spellings like that at English GCSE
English Language was the only GCSE in which I got an A rather than an A* (no
A+s these days), and that was about 18 months ago now.
I am now facing the horrors of UCAS.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
9/26/2004 9:06:18 AM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
> Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
>> That would be 'principal' angles, Ed! ;o) How long ago was it you did
>> your English GCSE? And, IIRC, you got an A* (or was it an A+?)
>
> Gah - -al and -le have never quite settled with me. :-\ They didn't
> care much about minor spellings like that at English GCSE
> English Language was the only GCSE in which I got an A rather than an
> A* (no A+s these days), and that was about 18 months ago now.
> I am now facing the horrors of UCAS.

Edward,

It isn't "minor spelling" it's a grammatical error - you might as well say
that using 'advice' instead of 'advise' or vice versa, was a "minor
spelling"! It's a point of grammar - spell it '-le' and the sentence ceases
to make sense!

It was UCCA in my day... Did I hear tell you'd applied to Oxbridge? If so,
look me up sometime....

lose his marbles?

0
misstick (379)
9/26/2004 2:03:09 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
> It isn't "minor spelling" it's a grammatical error - you might as
> well say that using 'advice' instead of 'advise' or vice versa, was a
> "minor spelling"! It's a point of grammar - spell it '-le' and the
> sentence ceases to make sense!
Fair point - the state of English in the country bears witness to the lack
of emphasis on the minor points of grammar in modern English teaching.
I'm normally pretty meticulous about S&G, but there are a few word pairs
(practise/practice etc.) where I can never remember which is which.

> Did I hear tell you'd applied to Oxbridge?
Not yet - my form is being handed in tomorrow :-)
(Oxford is my first choice, as much as there is a first choice these days
because all universities are placed in alphabetical order at first, first
and second choices are only chosen when offers have come in)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
9/26/2004 5:18:17 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
> Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
>> It isn't "minor spelling" it's a grammatical error - you might as
>> well say that using 'advice' instead of 'advise' or vice versa, was a
>> "minor spelling"! It's a point of grammar - spell it '-le' and the
>> sentence ceases to make sense!
> Fair point - the state of English in the country bears witness to the
> lack of emphasis on the minor points of grammar in modern English
> teaching. I'm normally pretty meticulous about S&G, but there are a
> few word pairs (practise/practice etc.) where I can never remember
> which is which.

I just had a very old fashioned English teacher (and I thank the Goddess I
did - I wouldn't have got A+x2 for English if it hadn't been for her!) and
she drummed these things into us daily (she was also my form teacher in the
Fifth Form). '-ise' and '-ice' are very easy to remember the '-ice' ending
is always the noun. The pronunciation is difference - 'advice' is pronounced
'ad-/vice/' whereas the verb is 'ad-/vize/'. Mind you, the Yanks have become
lazy, 'advice/advice' and 'device/devise' are the only two that matter to
them these days - the others 'practice/practise' 'licence/license', etc are
pretty much interchangeable. I don't know, you young whippersnappers don't
know you're born. Why, in my day we were given 1000 lines and six of the
best with our pants down...;o)

The ones that catch everyone out are 'disinterested' and 'uninterested' -
they are /not/ synonyms. I bet you can't tell me the difference. Even my
father, with his St Edward's education (and who prides himself on his
understanding of English) always gets it wrong! Not to mention 'effect' and
'affect'.

>> Did I hear tell you'd applied to Oxbridge?
> Not yet - my form is being handed in tomorrow :-)
> (Oxford is my first choice, as much as there is a first choice these
> days because all universities are placed in alphabetical order at
> first, first and second choices are only chosen when offers have come
> in)

You'll get in no problem and I expect to see you on University Challenge
2006 or something....My cousin was at Jesus College, Cambridge (he could
have gone to either, but he chose Cambridge over Oxford for some bizarre
reason).

When you get down here (and yes I do mean 'when'!) drop me an email (you
have my address) and I'll show you the delights of GX (and that should be in
the Guinness Book of Records as the shortest tour in the world! By the time
you get here 90% of the town will belong to Tesco! Mind you, nearly
everything is owned by Tesco these days!)

I have every faith in you. I wish they'd change the system though.I think it
would be far kinder - and fairer - to apply to unis on the basis of actual
results, instead of predictions/projections. If someone is predicted four
As, say, and they end up with three Cs and a D, then they probably won't get
onto the course of their choice at the uni of their choice and would end up
in the lottery of clearing. Obviously, you won't have that problem, because
your predicted 4 As will be 4 As, of course (I say four because everyone is
doing more than three A-Levels these days - my cousin took six, and got six
As).

Hope to be visiting you in Oxford next Summer (well I am the only other
UK-based person here, aren't I?)

lose his marbles?

0
misstick (379)
9/27/2004 5:09:44 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
> I just had a very old fashioned English teacher (and I thank the
> Goddess I did - I wouldn't have got A+x2 for English if it hadn't
> been for her!)
I have a very old-fashioned Maths tutor (now retired - he used to be head of
maths at our school), and he is the best teacher I've ever had.
When he was still in school (not so long ago) he was well-known for throwing
books and board-dusters at students, pinning them up against blackboards,
throwing punches in the arm and for his pet brick in the filing cabinet at
the back of the room.  I have only had one punch in the arm so far, for
forgetting a constant of integration.

> The ones that catch everyone out are 'disinterested' and
> 'uninterested' - they are /not/ synonyms.
I didn't think "uninterested" was a word/
Googling on define:uninsterested and define:disinterested threw me -
uninterested seems to have the meaning I have always assigned to
disinterested.

> Not to mention 'effect' and 'affect'.
Makes me cringe every time.

> I have every faith in you.
Thanks :-)

> I wish they'd change the system though.I
> think it would be far kinder - and fairer - to apply to unis on the
> basis of actual results, instead of predictions/projections.
It would require a complete re-engineering of the A-level exam system and
the UCAS system, not to mention 6th-form education.
There are still conditional offers, though, which *are* on the basis of
actual results.

> (I say four because everyone is doing more
> than three A-Levels these days - my cousin took six, and got six As).
By the time I've finished I'll have 5 A-levels and an AS (there's a lot to
be said for getting a headstart)

> Hope to be visiting you in Oxford next Summer (well I am the only
> other UK-based person here, aren't I?)
The only one I know of :-)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6344)
9/27/2004 6:03:28 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Miss
> Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw>!"...
>> I just had a very old fashioned English teacher (and I thank the
>> Goddess I did - I wouldn't have got A+x2 for English if it hadn't
>> been for her!)
> I have a very old-fashioned Maths tutor (now retired - he used to be
> head of maths at our school), and he is the best teacher I've ever
> had. When he was still in school (not so long ago) he was well-known for
> throwing books and board-dusters at students, pinning them up against
> blackboards, throwing punches in the arm and for his pet brick in the
> filing cabinet at the back of the room.  I have only had one punch in
> the arm so far, for forgetting a constant of integration.
>
>> The ones that catch everyone out are 'disinterested' and
>> 'uninterested' - they are /not/ synonyms.
> I didn't think "uninterested" was a word/
> Googling on define:uninsterested and define:disinterested threw me -
> uninterested seems to have the meaning I have always assigned to
> disinterested.

Exactly. 'Uninterested' means 'not taking or having an interest in'.
'Disinterested' means 'impartial'.

The following sentence will aid you in remembering the difference

A football referee must not be uninterested in the match, but must remain
disinterested at all times. Not the best, but it's always worked for me.

>> Not to mention 'effect' and 'affect'.
> Makes me cringe every time.

Here's another.

Apply this cream to the affected area three times a day and, if you haven't
noticed any effect in a week come back and see me.

Works every time.

>> I have every faith in you.
> Thanks :-)
>
>> I wish they'd change the system though.I
>> think it would be far kinder - and fairer - to apply to unis on the
>> basis of actual results, instead of predictions/projections.
> It would require a complete re-engineering of the A-level exam system
> and the UCAS system, not to mention 6th-form education.
> There are still conditional offers, though, which *are* on the basis
> of actual results.
>
>> (I say four because everyone is doing more
>> than three A-Levels these days - my cousin took six, and got six As).
> By the time I've finished I'll have 5 A-levels and an AS (there's a
> lot to be said for getting a headstart)
>
>> Hope to be visiting you in Oxford next Summer (well I am the only
>> other UK-based person here, aren't I?)
> The only one I know of :-)

lose his marbles?

0
misstick (379)

can i add holidays to a publisher calendar

Insert Lines
I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. I need to put 4 extra lines under each name. Is there a way to do this without having to individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. Thanks. On Apr 29, 9:29=EF=BF=BDpm, RENEE <RE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. =EF=BF=BDI need = to put 4 > extra lines under each name. =EF=BF=BDIs there a way to do this without h= aving to > individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. =EF=BF=BDT= hanks. Output as CSV Open...

How do you add or subtract the subject line from the inbox / sent.
If you sign on to outlook and are in your inbox, you get a list of emails with name: subject: and date. How do you add or subtract the subject line? I have a friend who does not have the subject line and we can not figure out how to add it. Click your right mouse button over the grey column headings in the Inbox where the Subject heading is missing, select Field Chooser from the menu that appears and a box will appear containing all the mail fields, scroll down until you see Subject and then click and hold your left mouse button on the Subject field and drag it to where you want it in ...

modify series data by changing chart lines?
I would like to change series data in a spreadsheet that has been line charted by manipulating the chart lines or trend-lines. Is that possible in Excel? Thanks for any help. ...

Microsoft Publisher-MailMerge-Images
When I merge my addresses into Pubisher (I do a newsletter for my church) - when i print ... the images on the document are horrible-distorted. It's only when I do the mailmerge....I am printing on the best cannon HUGE printer you can use... When i chose to not do mailmerge it prints fine.... PLEASE help ... :( amy.wolfmeyer@gmail.com All images or just some? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Amy Wolfmeyer" <Amy Wolfmeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

a new drawing not erase previous drawing?
visual studio c++ 6.0, mfc, graphics in my program a new drawing erases previous drawing. How to manage that all that is drawn stays alive on the window? And is not erased when the window is covered by another window, as well. And that the image does not flicker... Those last two have from time to time appeared in my attempts to solve the first problem. And that I didn't manage at all - make the first drawing, then the second, see them both at the same time on the window. I have tried the following and maybe more: Invalidate(false), InvalidateRect(false), override OnEraseBkgnd, ...

saving in publisher 2000
I have been trying to download my project on a cd to take to a company for copies but after download I can not open due to it says it is a readable file only. I have gone back and unchecked the readable file only and still am not able to read please can someone help with this? papeco wrote: > I have been trying to download my project on a cd to take to a company for > copies but after download I can not open due to it says it is a readable file > only. I have gone back and unchecked the readable file only and still am not > able to read please can someone help with this? ...

how to draw a bitmap transparently?
Hi, I have an owner draw button associated with a bitmap. In the bitmap editor, I turn off the option "draw opaque" for the bitmap. That is, I make it transparent. However, the the bitmap's background color still shows up on the button. The bitmap has only a solid circle in the middle. What else do I have to do? Please help. Thanks. Tony One thing you can do--and this works only for some restricted cases, which you may or may not have--is to make the button background 192,192,192, and when you LoadImage, you specify LR_MAP3DCOLORS. It will change the 192,192,192 to...

owner draw CListBox, how to draw "no item found"
Hello, I have an owner draw listbox, in the DrawItem I draw the items. If the listbox doesn't contain any item I would like to display a message "no item found" but this is no item, so DrawItem is the wrong place. Where should I do this? OnPaint, OnEraseBkgnd? I thought I would be able to do something like this for a test (just paint the window blue) but it's always white BOOL CmyListbox::OnEraseBkgnd(CDC* pDC) { if (m_pItemList.GetCount() < 1) { CRect rc; GetClientRect(&rc); pDC->FillSolidRect(rc,RGB(0,0,255)); return TRU...

I need to make changes to publisher file I created, how?
I created a file yesterday and saved it. I went to open it today and make some changes, it won't let me. What am i doing wrong? Thanks maybe the file is set to Read Only, browse to the file with Window = Explorer and right click on the file...if it's set to Read Only uncheck = that box. "Aggi" <Aggi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:A75EBA7C-EAAB-4C4A-9195-DD40B306F153@microsoft.com... > I created a file yesterday and saved it. I went to open it today and = make=20 > some changes, it won't let me. What am i doing wrong? > Thanks Ple...

Secondary Axis Grid lines
Is there a way to show grid lines for a secondary y-axis? They've added this is 2007, which has so far only added to the confusion. It makes no sense to have two sets of Y axis gridlines, so set up the chart with the gridline-requiring data on the primary axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Arun" <Arun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CBEB888-9705-4F56-94CA-84BCC6FD875C@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to show grid lines for a second...

Deleting Blank lines with VBA
Help I have a macro that runs multiple formulas. However, when the formulas are finished I am left with about 64000 blank lines. I am unable to insert a row on the worksheets as I get a Run-Time Error 1004 (Try to locate the last Nonblank Cell using CTRL-END). Here is a same of some of the formulas I am running ( the macro is very large). ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaI", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C27" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaJ", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C28" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaK&qu...

Guides not visible over images in Publisher 2003
hi all, i am using publisher 2003 under XP with SP2 and am having the following problem: i am creating a flyer. i want to have an image going across the entire background. when i try to pull the layout guides out from the ruler, i don't see them (yes, they are on, too). as soon as i delete the image, i see them again. i would expect the guides to be on a meta level...above everything else, since they aren't really objects meant for printing. any ideas on how i can get them to show? thanks! thanks brian... don't know why i didn't think of this myself. instead, i let ...

Draw a horizontal line after the last record is printed on each pa
The details section of my report draws vertical lines which grow to accomodate text size changes. I would like to have a horizontal line drawn when last record finishes printing on the page and joins the end of the last vertical line to make a table. Please help. Thanks. -- Lydia Liu Access/VB Programmer There was at least one answer posted to your same question yesterday. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Lydia" wrote: > The details section of my report draws vertical lines which grow to > accomodate text size changes. I would like to ha...

Line chart: Dates in uneven intervalls on x-achsis #2
'Supplementary' questions: Is there a clever way to make excel recogniz that '3 months' stands for '0.25 years', and '6 months' stands for '0. years'? I know, this is only cosmetics. Nevertheless it would be interesting ;) Gil -- gdavid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gdavids's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27378 You could use a helper column that divides months by 12 to scale as years. Jer...

How to make webpage from publisher
I bought Publisher 2002 thinking I could make a webpage of our church newsletter. I use Publisher to make the printed copy of the newsletter just fine, but whenever I try to save it as an html document I get a jumbled mess. I downloaded the "upgrade" today, and now my choice is to "export as webpage" instead of "save as" webpage. When I tried this I got a folder full of individual art and one messed up page. The original newsletter had 4 pages. When I typed "export as webpage" in Help, I didn't get any information. sigh. Can anyone help me? I ...

Publisher Mail Merge problem #2
Hello. The company I work for has a form that I am trying to create a mail merge for. The form is a single Letter-sized sheet of paper. It is 'portrait'-oriented. The goal is to print two different addresses on the same sheet of paper. I have an Excel database and created two sets of merge fields accordingly in Publisher. The sheet of paper is perforated so it will be ripped in half and the top portion will be mailed to one person and the bottom portion will be mailed to another. I need to have one person's info (from my database) merge to the top merge fields, and ...

Anyone want to draw roads?
Just thought that if anyone wants to do diagrams with roads or rivers as double lines then Jeff Lanam (this n/group) kindly provided me with this link to a free programme called OCAD. Its a tiny file, is EASY to use and the results can be exported as a .bmp into Publisher. www.ocad.com I asked on this newsgroup how to achieve this and many threads resulted, so thought I'd post the solution. Many thanks Jeff (see reply to your post) Chrissss........ Glad you solved your map problem. An interesting program. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.o...

Pathetic Publisher!
I'm building a website to promote me and my friends but theirs so much info that I would have liked BOOKMARKS AVALIABLE! Also links to other sites OPENING IN A NEW BROWSER would be helpful! But the real stupid thing is that whoever made Publisher 2003 missed out a few things. Sure, its got cool new stuff and templates and now when u make a website its not compressed into one big picture but all that small detail of opening a browser and bookmarking should have been included. So, im suggesting that Office make an update from the office site so that Publisher 2003 may have bookmarking and op...

Drawing graphs on Modal dialogs
I've encounter a strange phenomenon: I have an MFC application that creates a child dialog using DoModal(). Within this child dialog I have a couple of buttons and a graph plot drawn within the area of a Cstatic using a third party API from GraphicsServer. This modal dialog has a minimize button, but when I minimize the dialog, the graph doesn't minimize with the dialog is always on top of the screen. Has anyone encountered this problem? Do you think is is a GraphicsServer issue or a Microsoft issue? I've called Graphics Server and they say that they haven't countered my proble...

Indicate intersection point on a two-line graph
Hi, I have a simple line graph with two lines (line A and line B). They intersect at a given point (the break even point). How do I indicate on the graph that this is the break even point. I know its very easy to do with an arrow and text box. However, I would like the arrow and text box to move to a new intersection as I change the numbers around. Thanks, Greg Andy Pope has an example on his site which should help: http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "Greg" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a simple line graph with...

publisher 2000 photo editing
I have a bmp file inserted in to a Publisher 2000 document. I want to lighten the entire photo so it is just a background with words on the top of it. I can't find any contrast or watermark or anything like that in my software. Everything changes it to a lighter shade of just one color. I want to keep all the colors, just make the entire image really light. Did you try using a photo editor first? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "stitchesbymindy" <stitchesbymindy@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Where did the drawing go?
Visio 2003 SP2 with all the latest patches. I have an extensive floor plan created in a file. I renamed the page by double-clicking on the tab and replacing the name with 'Current'. I then added a page and called it 'Proposed'. The program hour-glassed for a bit which I thought was curious and then hung. I could close the program and since I did some editing on the file, I saved it when prompted. The next time I opened the file, the design was not visible and the scale was literally off the charts (it says X = - 46 ft., Y = 89478492 ft. 6, and if I go into Page Setup a...

Graph Line Width ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. Dumb question, but I just can't seem to get it to work. Have a chart with a line graph. Guess it's called a Scatter Graph. Bunch of points, with lines connecting the points; the typical kind of thing. Looks fine, but I want to make the lines connecting all the data points "thinner". After clicking on the line graph (which I guess selects it) I right-click with the mouse and go to Format Data Points, but this doesn't seem to do anything for the entire line. How can I easily change the line width for the entire graph ? Thanks, Bob On Apr...

Can't edit Publisher 97 files in Publisher 2002
Is there a way to edit older Publisher files in Publisher 2002. Did in stall the WordArt patch and the files open correctly, but will not let me edit. Could I install my old Publisher 97 on my computer to complete the tasks I need to do, until I figure how to do this on Publisher 2002? Thanks for helping! You should be able to edit them. I edit my old 97 documents. Are the files on your hard drive? Have you checked to make sure they are not read only? Publisher 97 will run well on your system. Install it to a separate folder. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www...