Disappearing graphics from publisher files

I have been working on documents for clients that have earlier version of MS
Publisher.  When I save them for their specific version of MS Publisher about
3/4 of the embedded graphics disappear.  How can I get the graphics to stop
disappearing?  The graphics do not disappear when I save the file as a MS
Publisher 2003 document.
0
Amy (241)

Amy,

How were the embeded graphics created?
- Were they imported ("insert", "Picture", "Clipart..."/"From File..."/"From
Scanner or Camera...")?
- Did they get pasted from another applications?
- were the drawiing tools in publicher used?

It is possible that the imnages are in a format older versions of Publisher
are not able to work with.

Try is using the fololowing:
  1) Use the 'Pack And Go' feature (under the 'File' menu) as though you
were taking it to a commercial printer to make links of the images as it
packs the publication (this is probably faster than making links of all the
images yourself).
  2) Unpack the 'Pack And Go' publication then resave it to the older format.

The linked graphics will need to be sent with the new Publisher file (unless
you have the older versionof publisher and can re-embed the images in the
older file format).

Let me know if this helps.

--
Mike Bailey
Prepress Technician

"Amy" wrote:

> I have been working on documents for clients that have earlier version of MS
> Publisher.  When I save them for their specific version of MS Publisher about
> 3/4 of the embedded graphics disappear.  How can I get the graphics to stop
> disappearing?  The graphics do not disappear when I save the file as a MS
> Publisher 2003 document.
Mike,

Thanks for the information.  I believe that you solved my quandry.  I
downloaded a majority of graphics to use in the ms pub 98 document
recently... and those are the ones disappearing.  So they are probably in a
format that ms pub 98 can not handle.  I will try re-formating them in a jpeg
format and see if that works.  I can't send the graphics seperately because
that is part of my responsibilites... in other words the client can't handle
that part.

Once again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...
Amy
0
Amy (241)
11/18/2004 2:58:03 PM
Mike Bailey wrote:
> How were the embeded graphics created?
> - Were they imported ("insert", "Picture", "Clipart..."/"From
> File..."/"From Scanner or Camera...")?
> - Did they get pasted from another applications?
> - were the drawiing tools in publicher used?
>
> It is possible that the imnages are in a format older versions of
> Publisher are not able to work with.
>
> Try is using the fololowing:
>  1) Use the 'Pack And Go' feature (under the 'File' menu) as though
> you were taking it to a commercial printer to make links of the
> images as it packs the publication (this is probably faster than
> making links of all the images yourself).
>  2) Unpack the 'Pack And Go' publication then resave it to the older
> format.
>
> The linked graphics will need to be sent with the new Publisher file
> (unless you have the older versionof publisher and can re-embed the
> images in the older file format).

Mr. Bailey, where have you been all these years? It's been awhile!
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
ic (207)

Publisher 2003 #25
I have tried to put both clipart and scanned pictures into publisher 2003. but all I get is a blank box, no picture or graphics at all. I have had publisher 2002 for a while but never had this problem. earthdweller <earthdweller@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have tried to put both clipart and scanned pictures into publisher > 2003. but all I get is a blank box, no picture or graphics at all. > I have had publisher 2002 for a while but never had this problem. Have you tried the options under View > Pictures? Also, you might want to update ...

Saved a file to a floppy now I can't get the file open again
I saved a file to a floppy now I can't open it again. I had it open, closed out of it, and now it will not let me back in. It says my file cannot be accessed. The file maybe read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding. Hi NEVER save directly to a floppy disc from Excel as this is a common cause for file corruption. Always save directly to the harddisc first. So in your case the file is probably corrupted. You may try using OpenOffice (ww.openoffice.org) as it seems to be able to open such corrupted ...

Microdoft Publisher 2007 trial on Vista
Hi Just downloaded the trial Publishwer 2007 version onto my HP Pavillion notebook pc and cannot find it! I have got a validation code but no programme to insert it in. Have tried searchin gfor the programme but can't see it anywhere. Any clues? Many thanks Jayney ...

Unable to print graphics/objects
Hi, I'm trying to create a award certificate through the wizard in Publisher 2000. The problem is that when I save it and open it on another machine which has publisher 2003, the border object disappears while printing, (it shows fine on the machine, only print is causing problems). I have also tried creating on pub. 2003 from scratch on that machine but I'm still unable to print the border object which is embedded in the template. Even a print preview does not show the border. I have also tried to convert it to Word and html, still the same. I tried converting to PDF as well ...

Safe boot not responding/.mht saved files not opened
have XP Home. After tapping F8 key and selected safe Mode, the cursor starts blinking but nothing happens. I know I could start Safe mone from SysConfig but I am curious to know why does not open anymore. Larely I cleaned up registry with a tool, Asahnppo, could that be the cause? Also I can not open some saved pages from web in .mht mode, but only some, others open regularly. Somebody has an explanation for these issues? Thanks in advance for your help Stefano -- stefanoes stefanoes wrote: > have XP Home. After tapping F8 key and selected safe Mode, the cursor sta...

Search for Filename and Text Within that File
I've been able to locate files with a macro using this: trap: 'error trapping here Dim iCtr As Integer With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .SearchSubFolders = True .LookIn = "g:\client\" & Range("h6") .Filename = "*ControlSheet.xls" End With With Application.FileSearch If .Execute() > 0 Then MsgBox ("Control Sheet with those parameters does not exist! There are " & .FoundFiles.Count & _ " other Control Sheets for this Client ID.") For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Co...

Signature logo disappears on reply
I'm finding that with multiple versions of Outlook, a logo used in the signature disappears when included on a reply/forward. Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks ...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

Folders Are Disappearing !
I have several (Outlook 2007) folders and various rules directing certain emails to certain folders. But some of those folders magically disappear and my rules become useless because everything goes into one folder (inbox). Anyone know why this happens, and what to do about it ? The rules would not work if the folders are not there to move the files (emails) into them, so that part is understable. We just need to address why the folders are disappearing and how to prevent it. I need some clarification on where these folders are located. Are they sub-folders of Personal Folder. I hav...

Contacts Disappearing.
Everytime one of our employees enter a new contact or update a current contact. Some of them disappears or the update does not take place. Thanks I'd first copy them all to a pst so you don't lose anymore. Import them into a test mailbox and see if it has the same issue. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "...

Publisher/Access problem
I am using MS Office 2000 Professional on a Windows XP Professional OS. (Access 2000 SP-3, Publisher 2000 SP-3) I created a Publisher file called "reunion.pub". It contains: name, address,and other information. I went to reference it using MS Access and the ".pub" file was automatically converted to a ".mdb" file. Now I can't reference it using MS Publisher. Is there any way to convert the file back to a ".pub" file so that it can be used in Publisher? Thank You, Sam Ceccola After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a mes...

updater in system tray disappears
Windows XP SP3, IE7 When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install. It starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes back to let me install the updates. -- Even if I reboot. So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates I want. After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can install these updates now. At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updat...

2003 Publisher and PDF Question
When i convert a published file to pdf, the objects i inserted are lost. What am i doing wrong? A few more details please. What objects? What .pdf software are you using? -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB0E760-6F64-4698-9B86-3498D3BF52EC@microsoft.com... > When i convert a published file to pdf, the objects i inserted are lost. > What am i doing wrong? ...

Press the / key and the FILE menu highlights
Howdy, I tab to a cell, press the / key, and instead of editing the cell and putting a / at the beginning, Excel highlights the File menu. Does anyone know how I can disable this _feature_? I can already hit the ALT key to accomplish this. If I tab to the cell, hit F2, then / it works, but I'd like to just be able to hit the /. Thanks, Mike You can start the entry with an apostrophy '/ You could preformat the cell as text. You could turn off a transition setting: tools|Options|transition tab remove the slash character from the "Microsoft Office Excel menu key" bo...

MS Money Standard 2005
Hello, My mny file and my most recent backup mbf are corrupted and can't be repaired or restored. My most recent prior backup is from May 3rd. I need to repair either my recent backup or my mny file desperately. Can anyone recommend a money file repair company; or better yet point me to a money file specification so that I can fix it myself. I'm a programmer so I'm willing to get into the file and remove the offending transaction or bytes. I can't help but think that this has something to do with the most recent windows update. I understand the corruption of the mn...

Disappearing Menu Items
I added News to the Go menu of Outlook 2003 as described in the help files. This worked fine for a few days but then it disappeared from the menu list. Even worse it isn't in the Customise options any more so I can't add it again. Now I can only access News groups by starting Outlook Express directly. Anyone know how to add it to the menu items again please? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

CRMbar in Outlook disappears
Hello, On the notebooks of our employees I've installed the Desktop CRM Client. On some of these notebooks after a while, the CRM bar in Outlook disappears. Menu > View > Toolbars > Microsoft CRM is checked, and the only solution that worked for me untill now is to do a Repair from the Client install CD. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Because more and more people are having this problem. Regards, Dirk ...

Disappearing M driive
I'm running Windows Server 2000 with exchange 5.5 and caome in today and my m drive is no longer showing up. Tried rebooting and still, no m drive. Have cleaned up the rest of the hard drive and have 2 gb of free space. Am I looking at a reload??? Exchange 5.5 doesn't have IFS capabilities so there is no M:\ drive. Sounds like you may have Citrix installed? If this is actually E2K, then check to make sure that the Information store service is started and/or the databases are mounted. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Error in PDF from Publisher
Is anyone else having problems with PDFs that are made from Publisher? I sent a PDF to our off site printer last week, and the job came back with mysterious black lines in the background. I literally tore the file apart trying to determine the cause, and concluded that the lines appeared during the PDF conversion. There was nothing in the Publisher file that looked awry, and the location of the lines didn't correspond with any of the graphics in the document. They appeared to be completely random. Also, the lines were not visible in the PDF when viewed on screen. When they re-ran the j...

Restoring Money Drag&Drop Files
I'm trying to help a neighbor who, while using Money 2000, dragged and dropped all his files to zip disks. He now has a new computer with Money 2004 and I have been unable to help him restore these files. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance, Carol In microsoft.public.money, G'ma Carol wrote: >I'm trying to help a neighbor who, while using Money 2000, >dragged and dropped all his files to zip disks. He now >has a new computer with Money 2004 and I have been unable >to help him restore these files. Any suggestions??? Copy only the latest .mny file from the...

using cell's contents instead of file name
Please, advise whether it's possible to use a cell's contents instead of a file name. If I have "SSS" in A1, how could I use it instead of the FileName in the path reference such as 'C:\Path\[FileName.xls]Sheet1'!$B$25 that FileName would reflect SSS and it would be [SSS.xls] Using Cell("contents",A1) as 'C:\Path\[Cell("contents",A1).xls]Sheet1!$B$25 isn't working. Thanks Hi normally using INDIRECt would work. e.g. =INDIRECT("'[" & A1 & "]Sheet1'!B25") But this won't work for closed workboo...

Contacts and Address pst file
How do you get the contacts file and the pst address book to have the same data?? Just realized that when I start an email address it finds a name I wanted with no problem but when I went to the address book that name was not in there. I would like the address book to have all the contacts in it also. Is there some way to sync the two?? TonySper "TonySper" <tsperduti@NOSPAMbellsouth.net> wrote in message news:%23DrCMcmeJHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do you get the contacts file and the pst address book to have the same > data?? Just realized that when I s...

Contacts Keep Disappearing
For some reason my contacts keep dissappering each time I close Live Mail. I open it back up and the contacts are gone. It was working fine when I first started using it a week ago. Each time I have to import them in from Outlook Express. What gives and is anyone else experiencing this issue? Are you using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM ? If so, try importing them via the web UI at contacts.live.com(click Manage, then import) Thereafter use that Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM. If not using a Live ID, you may have encountered a problem ...

Official name of the File Selection Part of CFileDialog
I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:Kw%3h.10768$IC.9812@newsfe21.lga... >I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the >CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a >special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? List-View http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/list...