Create A Catalog

I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always sourced it
out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many software programs out
there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.  I want a catalog with 2 rows,
up and down, with 8 items per row, per page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a
template for this?  I've tried downloading templates to my old version, but I
can't get the pictures to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the
program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so
much in advance for any advice!!
0
ladiwolf (3)

Sure, why not?

You may resort to creating your own catalog though. Templates, to me at
least, seldom fit the bill.

However, if you're a busy business owner and don't know much about images,
and printing, graphics design; you may find it more cost effective to
continue to outsource it.

"ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always sourced it
| out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many software programs
out
| there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.  I want a catalog with 2
rows,
| up and down, with 8 items per row, per page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a
| template for this?  I've tried downloading templates to my old version,
but I
| can't get the pictures to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the
| program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you
so
| much in advance for any advice!!

0
webmaster911 (1600)
4/30/2007 1:52:24 PM
Publisher comes with catalog templates built in. These consist of a cover and
the back page.

What you are wanting is something that has to be done manually and with a merge
database.

There are articles that will give you an idea how it all works. The Publisher
2003 how-to articles are far superior to 2007 versions. There is a training
article.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always sourced it
> out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many software programs out
> there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.  I want a catalog with 2 rows,
> up and down, with 8 items per row, per page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a
> template for this?  I've tried downloading templates to my old version, but I
> can't get the pictures to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the
> program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so
> much in advance for any advice!!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/30/2007 1:54:04 PM
ladiwolf wrote:
> I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always
> sourced it out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many
> software programs out there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.
> I want a catalog with 2 rows, up and down, with 8 items per row, per
> page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a template for this?  I've tried
> downloading templates to my old version, but I can't get the pictures
> to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the program and there
> is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so much in
> advance for any advice!!
=============================
The catalog you describe should be easy
enough to create in any version of Publisher.
Personally, I would just create a series
of text boxes and group them together...
8 in each column.

Please explain the problems you are
having with pictures.

Here are some tips that may help with
pictures.

1) When you are ready to import a picture...
click the "Picture Frame" button in your
Objects pane on the left of your screen.
When you choose "Picture from file"...
your pointer will change to a cross hair...
now...left click / drag a box the size you
want the picture to be in the location you
want it to appear. When you release the
mouse button, you will be able to browse
to the picture.

2) To replace an existing picture with a
different one...double left click the current
picture and the 'Insert Picture' window will
open so you can browse for a replacement.

3) Once you have a picture in the correct
position...Select it and the text box it's in
and group them together. Then if you happen
to move the text box...the picture will stay in
position.

--

       John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

      Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie (2069)
4/30/2007 2:28:03 PM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Publisher comes with catalog templates built in. These consist of a cover and
> the back page.
>
> What you are wanting is something that has to be done manually and with a merge
> database.
>
> There are articles that will give you an idea how it all works. The Publisher
> 2003 how-to articles are far superior to 2007 versions. There is a training
> article.
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always sourced it
> > out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many software programs out
> > there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.  I want a catalog with 2 rows,
> > up and down, with 8 items per row, per page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a
> > template for this?  I've tried downloading templates to my old version, but I
> > can't get the pictures to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the
> > program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so
> > much in advance for any advice!!
>

> Thank you both so much!  I downloaded a template from Microsoft and it looks almost identical to the out sourced one that I had created.  I just couldn't get the pictures to go into the template properly.  The right hand column pictures kept going to the left when I inserted them.  I have a complete web page and I just wanted to cut and paste my information.  I'm glad to see that there is a template and now I feel better about purchasing it.  Thank you!
0
ladiwolf (3)
4/30/2007 2:32:03 PM

"John Inzer" wrote:

> ladiwolf wrote:
> > I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always
> > sourced it out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many
> > software programs out there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.
> > I want a catalog with 2 rows, up and down, with 8 items per row, per
> > page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a template for this?  I've tried
> > downloading templates to my old version, but I can't get the pictures
> > to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the program and there
> > is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so much in
> > advance for any advice!!
> =============================
> The catalog you describe should be easy
> enough to create in any version of Publisher.
> Personally, I would just create a series
> of text boxes and group them together...
> 8 in each column.
>
> Please explain the problems you are
> having with pictures.
>
> Here are some tips that may help with
> pictures.
>
> 1) When you are ready to import a picture...
> click the "Picture Frame" button in your
> Objects pane on the left of your screen.
> When you choose "Picture from file"...
> your pointer will change to a cross hair...
> now...left click / drag a box the size you
> want the picture to be in the location you
> want it to appear. When you release the
> mouse button, you will be able to browse
> to the picture.
>
> 2) To replace an existing picture with a
> different one...double left click the current
> picture and the 'Insert Picture' window will
> open so you can browse for a replacement.
>
> 3) Once you have a picture in the correct
> position...Select it and the text box it's in
> and group them together. Then if you happen
> to move the text box...the picture will stay in
> position.
>

> --
>
>        John Inzer
>     MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
>       Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
>             Notice
> This is not tech support
>       I am a volunteer
>
>  Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>

> Hi!
I downloaded the catalog.  The first page was the first and last page of the
catalog and I put everything in.  It was extremely difficult to put a picture
on the front cover, but I did it. Not sure how, but it happen.  I went to the
second page where there were columns.  I clicked on the picture they had,
deleted it, and than went to insert my picture.  It immediately put the
picture in the column on the left.  I couldn't move the picture after I click
on it.  No matter what I did, it wouldn't move.  I than tried to create a
test box and that moved it to that column but messed up the entire text. I
couldn't imagine doing that for every item so I gave up.  I have an old
Publisher version, I wasn't sure if that was the problem.  Again it was the
exact version I wanted. I thought I could just cut and paste from my web
site, but that doesn't seem to work.  That is why I was hoping the new
version could do that for me.  Can it? Or is that only in a perfect world!
0
ladiwolf (3)
4/30/2007 2:46:05 PM
ladiwolf wrote:
>> Hi!
> I downloaded the catalog.  The first page was the first and last page
> of the catalog and I put everything in.  It was extremely difficult
> to put a picture on the front cover, but I did it. Not sure how, but
> it happen.  I went to the second page where there were columns.  I
> clicked on the picture they had, deleted it, and than went to insert
> my picture.  It immediately put the picture in the column on the
> left.  I couldn't move the picture after I click on it.  No matter
> what I did, it wouldn't move.  I than tried to create a test box and
> that moved it to that column but messed up the entire text. I
> couldn't imagine doing that for every item so I gave up.  I have an
> old Publisher version, I wasn't sure if that was the problem.  Again
> it was the exact version I wanted. I thought I could just cut and
> paste from my web site, but that doesn't seem to work.  That is why I
> was hoping the new version could do that for me.  Can it? Or is that
> only in a perfect world!
============================
It sounds like you need to spend some
time learning how to use the program.

Here's a good place to begin:

Creating a publication
http://tinyurl.com/32ew4l

Instead of deleting the default image
from the template...try double left clicking
the image. This should open the Insert
Picture window which would allow you
to browse to a replacement image.

--

       John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

      Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie (2069)
4/30/2007 3:29:58 PM
Right-click the picture, click change picture. Pasting from a web site is not a
good idea, you will get low resolution images most of the time. If you must
paste, select the picture in the catalog then paste, the paste will replace the
picture you selected. Publisher 2000 catalog is the same as a booklet.

Help here
http://web.archive.org/web/20000818153841/microsoft.com/enable/products/docs/publisher2000.htm
http://www.bcschools.net/staff/PublisherHelp.htm

The catalog feature in 2003-07 is nothing like 2000. It is merge based.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> [...]
> on the front cover, but I did it. Not sure how, but it happen.  I went to the
> second page where there were columns.  I clicked on the picture they had,
> deleted it, and than went to insert my picture.  It immediately put the
> picture in the column on the left.  I couldn't move the picture after I click
> on it.  No matter what I did, it wouldn't move.  I than tried to create a
> test box and that moved it to that column but messed up the entire text. I
> couldn't imagine doing that for every item so I gave up.  I have an old
> Publisher version, I wasn't sure if that was the problem.  Again it was the
> exact version I wanted. I thought I could just cut and paste from my web
> site, but that doesn't seem to work.  That is why I was hoping the new
> version could do that for me.  Can it? Or is that only in a perfect world!

4/30/2007 3:55:35 PM
Hello: I have been trying for DAYS to create a catalog in Publisher. I have
tried to create a table, I have tried several things, but the pictures will
not all stay the exact same size. I have about 9 pages of the catalog that is
just going to be pictures (like a photo album) It will be 3 across and 6
down. I made all of the pictures the exact same size in a photo editing
program, but when I pull them into Publisher, they are all different sizes.
How is the best way to bring in 9 pages of photos EXACTLY the same size. I
cannot use the merge because I have no text or anything else that I am
merging - it's just graphics - nothing else! ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST
APPRECIATED AS I AM NEARING MY DEADLINE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THIS CATALOG
AND I CANNOT GET IT COMPLETE. THANK YOU!

"ladiwolf" wrote:

> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
> > Publisher comes with catalog templates built in. These consist of a cover and
> > the back page.
> >
> > What you are wanting is something that has to be done manually and with a merge
> > database.
> >
> > There are articles that will give you an idea how it all works. The Publisher
> > 2003 how-to articles are far superior to 2007 versions. There is a training
> > article.
> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx
> >
> > --
> > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >
> > "ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I would like to create a catalog for my business.  I have always sourced it
> > > out, but now want to create my own.  There are so many software programs out
> > > there. I'm afraid that they won't work for me.  I want a catalog with 2 rows,
> > > up and down, with 8 items per row, per page.  Will Publisher 2007 have a
> > > template for this?  I've tried downloading templates to my old version, but I
> > > can't get the pictures to work properly.  I was seeing if anyone has the
> > > program and there is a catalog template in there before I buy.  Thank you so
> > > much in advance for any advice!!
> >

> > Thank you both so much!  I downloaded a template from Microsoft and it looks almost identical to the out sourced one that I had created.  I just couldn't get the pictures to go into the template properly.  The right hand column pictures kept going to the left when I inserted them.  I have a complete web page and I just wanted to cut and paste my information.  I'm glad to see that there is a template and now I feel better about purchasing it.  Thank you!
0
Charlotte (13)
4/30/2007 6:08:03 PM
What version Publisher? Are you using a merge for the pictures?

If you are doing all of this manually, use a table. With your cursor in the
cell, fill, fill effects, picture tab...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Charlotte" <Charlotte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello: I have been trying for DAYS to create a catalog in Publisher. I have
> tried to create a table, I have tried several things, but the pictures will
> not all stay the exact same size. I have about 9 pages of the catalog that is
> just going to be pictures (like a photo album) It will be 3 across and 6
> down. I made all of the pictures the exact same size in a photo editing
> program, but when I pull them into Publisher, they are all different sizes.
> How is the best way to bring in 9 pages of photos EXACTLY the same size. I
> cannot use the merge because I have no text or anything else that I am
> merging - it's just graphics - nothing else! ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST
> APPRECIATED AS I AM NEARING MY DEADLINE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THIS CATALOG
> AND I CANNOT GET IT COMPLETE. THANK YOU!
>
> "ladiwolf" wrote:
>

>> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>>
>> > Publisher comes with catalog templates built in. These consist of a cover
>> > and
>> > the back page.
>> >
>> > What you are wanting is something that has to be done manually and with a
>> > merge
>> > database.
>> >
>> > There are articles that will give you an idea how it all works. The
>> > Publisher
>> > 2003 how-to articles are far superior to 2007 versions. There is a training
>> > article.
>> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> > http://office.microsoft.com/
>> > http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> >
>> > "ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Thank you both so much!  I downloaded a template from Microsoft and it
>> > looks almost identical to the out sourced one that I had created.  I just
>> > couldn't get the pictures to go into the template properly.  The right hand
>> > column pictures kept going to the left when I inserted them.  I have a
>> > complete web page and I just wanted to cut and paste my information.  I'm
>> > glad to see that there is a template and now I feel better about purchasing
>> > it.  Thank you!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/30/2007 6:23:06 PM
I have NOTHING to merge. This is just 9 pages of pictures that I want all the
exact same size.

"Charlotte" wrote:

> Hello: I have been trying for DAYS to create a catalog in Publisher. I have
> tried to create a table, I have tried several things, but the pictures will
> not all stay the exact same size. I have about 9 pages of the catalog that is
> just going to be pictures (like a photo album) It will be 3 across and 6
> down. I made all of the pictures the exact same size in a photo editing
> program, but when I pull them into Publisher, they are all different sizes.
> How is the best way to bring in 9 pages of photos EXACTLY the same size. I
> cannot use the merge because I have no text or anything else that I am
> merging - it's just graphics - nothing else! ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST
> APPRECIATED AS I AM NEARING MY DEADLINE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THIS CATALOG
> AND I CANNOT GET IT COMPLETE. THANK YOU!
>
> "ladiwolf" wrote:
>

> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> > > Publisher comes with catalog templates built in. These consist of a cover and
> > > the back page.
> > >
> > > What you are wanting is something that has to be done manually and with a merge
> > > database.
> > >
> > > There are articles that will give you an idea how it all works. The Publisher
> > > 2003 how-to articles are far superior to 2007 versions. There is a training
> > > article.
> > > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> > > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > > http://msauer.mvps.org/
> > >
> > > "ladiwolf" <ladiwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Thank you both so much!  I downloaded a template from Microsoft and it looks almost identical to the out sourced one that I had created.  I just couldn't get the pictures to go into the template properly.  The right hand column pictures kept going to the left when I inserted them.  I have a complete web page and I just wanted to cut and paste my information.  I'm glad to see that there is a template and now I feel better about purchasing it.  Thank you!
0
Charlotte (13)
4/30/2007 6:34:05 PM
Charlotte wrote:
> I have NOTHING to merge. This is just 9 pages of pictures that I want all the
> exact same size.

If the pictures are already in Publisher, the simplest solution would be
to write a macro to resize all of them (unless you were to delete and
start over).

If the pictures haven't yet been imported, then it would be easiest,
even though you don't have data to merge, to set up a merge just to get
them imported uniformly. Create a list of the filenames of all the
images you want to import, create a Catalog Merge Area with just a
single image based on the one field in your "database" (list), and merge
to a new publication.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Charlotte wrote:
> > I have NOTHING to merge. This is just 9 pages of pictures that I want all the
> > exact same size.
>
> If the pictures are already in Publisher, the simplest solution would be
> to write a macro to resize all of them (unless you were to delete and
> start over).
>
> If the pictures haven't yet been imported, then it would be easiest,
> even though you don't have data to merge, to set up a merge just to get
> them imported uniformly. Create a list of the filenames of all the
> images you want to import, create a Catalog Merge Area with just a
> single image based on the one field in your "database" (list), and merge
> to a new publication.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Charlotte (13)
5/1/2007 5:13:00 PM
Charlotte wrote:
> Okay, I have played around with this and it seems the easiest thing for me to
> do is to delete the pictures out and do the merge. I have just ONE more
> question. I have 148 pictures. Do I have to insert each hyperlink
> individually in the source document? Or is there an easier way to do that?
> Sorry for so many questions but I am VERY new to this and I have not worked
> with Publisher very much. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't have to be an active hyperlink, just the image filename with
path.

To generate the list, try this program
http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6344)

create a roster

Task Create - Status

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

create macro
Hi, How can I create a TWO seperate macros in a spreadsheet in Excel: there are icons/pictures which have a macro attached to it. How do I attach the macro? macro 1: to move to a different cell address like B158. macro 2: to print a certain range of cells. (say A158:G200) Thank u in advance Khalil One way: Put something like these in a regular code module: Public Sub MoveMacro() Application.GoTo .Range("B158"), Scroll:=True End Sub Public Sub PrintCertainRange() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.PrintArea = "A158:G200" ...

Creating a duplicate worksheet
I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a constantly updated duplicate worksheet. This will enable other users the ability to ammend or adapt a duplicate sheet that will not affect the master. Can this be done? -- Thanks Paul Keep the master and distribute copies. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Paul" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. > But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a &g...

problem creating child for newly created entity
Referring to the code below. if I comment out everything after the first call to create, a project is quite happily created in CRM 4.0. If I create an application, and associate it with an EXISTING project by hard-coding the GUID, it works well (but this is not what I want!) When I try to create the application, associated with the project I just created, it times out. if I put a messagebox right after the first create method, I can view the ProjectGUID of the project that was supposedly created but it times out trying to create the application, and when I look, the project was not actuall...

Creating a Sum Column on a Table
I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields are test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically sum the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this? Hi Pete Create a new query based on the table. In a blance column add something like this Result: Nz([TableName]![Field1],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field2],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field3],0) Change the TableName and field names to what they really are. The Nz function will replace a null with a 0 (which you need just in case any other fields are empty. In most case it's not a good idea to...

This note has been created since your attempt to create it
Hello: I am testing things in GP 10.0 after a test upgrade that I conducted. Upon trying to enter a record-level not into a Sales Order Processing Invoice, I get the following message: This note has been created since your attempt to create it. It will not allow me to enter a note. Any ideas? Is this a job for "NoteFix" or something? childofthe1980s Check if the record note index being assigned by the system to the invoice is already existing on the Record Notes Master table (SY03900). To get the next note index number for the invoice, 1) Go to table SOP40200 2) Query fo...

How to Create A Shared Folder in VC
Hi all, I want create a shared folder in vc and then another computer can copy files from the folder . thanks Take a look at NetShareAdd() and NetShareDel(): http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/stgmgmt/fs/netshareadd.asp Tom <CaoJianlin.G@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150976743.914204.165300@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I want create a shared folder in vc and then another computer > can copy files from the folder . > thanks > Yeah , i got that and i found some sample http://www.codeguru.com/...