Convert Text for a PDF File - Pack and Go or Publish as PDF

When using "Pack and Go" or "Publish as PDF" in Publisher 2007 is there a way
to convert text to an image or a shape?  In other higher powered software
packages there is an option to outline text to change text to shapes.  I am
not sure how to do anything other than embed the fonts with Publisher.

The problem I am running into is when I send a PDF to our printing company,
who uses MACs, the font is lost because it is not native to that platform.  I
can not send them the TrueType files, because the file types are
incompatible.  They asked me to covert the text to an image or a shape so it
does not come across as text in the PDF.  They also said something about
converting the text to curves, which they thought was an option in Publisher.
 The end result is their computer does a goofy font substitution and the text
does not look at all like it should.

Bottom line, if I can open the PDF and highlight the text as you would in
any text editor, there is a problem when the printing company opens the file.

I have saved the publication as a JPG, along with some other image file
types, but the quality was lost as compared to the PDF.  At this point I am
considering changing to a printing company who is PC based.  Although I spoke
with a few and they are not huge fans of working with Publisher files.  Any
suggestions, comments or recommendations?

Thanks!

Have you tried using Microsoft's *save as PDF* add in?
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en

Publisher cannot convert text to curves. You can save an individual text box as
a picture with the 300 dpi resolution, insert it and adjust the contrast.

Have you tried using the Commercial Printing options?

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"bandbrocks" <bandbrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When using "Pack and Go" or "Publish as PDF" in Publisher 2007 is there a way
> to convert text to an image or a shape?  In other higher powered software
> packages there is an option to outline text to change text to shapes.  I am
> not sure how to do anything other than embed the fonts with Publisher.
>
> The problem I am running into is when I send a PDF to our printing company,
> who uses MACs, the font is lost because it is not native to that platform.  I
> can not send them the TrueType files, because the file types are
> incompatible.  They asked me to covert the text to an image or a shape so it
> does not come across as text in the PDF.  They also said something about
> converting the text to curves, which they thought was an option in Publisher.
> The end result is their computer does a goofy font substitution and the text
> does not look at all like it should.
>
> Bottom line, if I can open the PDF and highlight the text as you would in
> any text editor, there is a problem when the printing company opens the file.
>
> I have saved the publication as a JPG, along with some other image file
> types, but the quality was lost as compared to the PDF.  At this point I am
> considering changing to a printing company who is PC based.  Although I spoke
> with a few and they are not huge fans of working with Publisher files.  Any
> suggestions, comments or recommendations?
>
> Thanks!

0
mary.sauer (2018)
4/4/2009 12:27:52 PM
Sorry to to respond so late.

If you have created the PDF properly then there is
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO reason for the printing company to outline the
fonts. That is a hack and it tells me that they do not have their act
together. Run, don't walk, away from this kind of BS. With a little bit
of forethought, known as planning, they can handle your job with out all
of the BS they're throwing at you.

The fonts are embedded in the PDF, usually as subsetted. This means that
the fonts are "embedded in the PDF". So they don't need the fonts unless
you are asking them to make type changes.

TrueType fonts are not incompatible. They probably "print" the PDF to
their RIP which means that the fonts get converted to PostScript when
being printed.

Send me the PDF so I can see what's going on. This isn't rocket science,
molecular biology, brain surgery or theoretical physics. This is really
pretty straight forward work... Just not from InDesign.

I've run into more "problems" that "artists" have created with InDesign
and QuarkXPress than I have with Publisher. It's not the software, it's
the person using the software.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Markzware Recognized Trainer
(425) 582-8554 - Office
(206) 201-2320 - Voicemail
(206) 618-2537 - Mobile
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:
http://www.automatetheworkflow.com
http://www.mattbeals.com
http://blog.mattbeals.com

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

bandbrocks wrote:
> When using "Pack and Go" or "Publish as PDF" in Publisher 2007 is there a way
> to convert text to an image or a shape?  In other higher powered software
> packages there is an option to outline text to change text to shapes.  I am
> not sure how to do anything other than embed the fonts with Publisher.
>
> The problem I am running into is when I send a PDF to our printing company,
> who uses MACs, the font is lost because it is not native to that platform.  I
> can not send them the TrueType files, because the file types are
> incompatible.  They asked me to covert the text to an image or a shape so it
> does not come across as text in the PDF.  They also said something about
> converting the text to curves, which they thought was an option in Publisher.
>  The end result is their computer does a goofy font substitution and the text
> does not look at all like it should.
>
> Bottom line, if I can open the PDF and highlight the text as you would in
> any text editor, there is a problem when the printing company opens the file.
>
> I have saved the publication as a JPG, along with some other image file
> types, but the quality was lost as compared to the PDF.  At this point I am
> considering changing to a printing company who is PC based.  Although I spoke
> with a few and they are not huge fans of working with Publisher files.  Any
> suggestions, comments or recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
0
matt4238 (148)
4/8/2009 3:21:37 PM
Thanks for the information, the recommendations and the suggestions.  Per my
reply to Mary, I am going to find a new printing company.

"Matt Beals" wrote:

> [...]
> > incompatible.  They asked me to covert the text to an image or a shape so it
> > does not come across as text in the PDF.  They also said something about
> > converting the text to curves, which they thought was an option in Publisher.
> >  The end result is their computer does a goofy font substitution and the text
> > does not look at all like it should.
> >
> > Bottom line, if I can open the PDF and highlight the text as you would in
> > any text editor, there is a problem when the printing company opens the file.
> >
> > I have saved the publication as a JPG, along with some other image file
> > types, but the quality was lost as compared to the PDF.  At this point I am
> > considering changing to a printing company who is PC based.  Although I spoke
> > with a few and they are not huge fans of working with Publisher files.  Any
> > suggestions, comments or recommendations?

I have tried the add in and get the same result.  When I saved the text box
to a picture, even at 300 dpi, the resolution of the text when I brought it
back in was poor at best.  I have also messed around with the commercial
printing options with no luck either.

Thanks for confirming that Publisher can not convert text to curves.  So at
this point I think I am going to find another printing company.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Have you tried using Microsoft's *save as PDF* add in?
> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en
>
> Publisher cannot convert text to curves. You can save an individual text box as
> a picture with the 300 dpi resolution, insert it and adjust the contrast.
>
> Have you tried using the Commercial Printing options?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "bandbrocks" <bandbrocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When using "Pack and Go" or "Publish as PDF" in Publisher 2007 is there a way
> > to convert text to an image or a shape?  In other higher powered software
> > packages there is an option to outline text to change text to shapes.  I am
> > not sure how to do anything other than embed the fonts with Publisher.
> >
> > The problem I am running into is when I send a PDF to our printing company,
> > who uses MACs, the font is lost because it is not native to that platform.  I
> > can not send them the TrueType files, because the file types are
> > incompatible.  They asked me to covert the text to an image or a shape so it
> > does not come across as text in the PDF.  They also said something about
> > converting the text to curves, which they thought was an option in Publisher.
> > The end result is their computer does a goofy font substitution and the text
> > does not look at all like it should.
> >
> > Bottom line, if I can open the PDF and highlight the text as you would in
> > any text editor, there is a problem when the printing company opens the file.
> >
> > I have saved the publication as a JPG, along with some other image file
> > types, but the quality was lost as compared to the PDF.  At this point I am
> > considering changing to a printing company who is PC based.  Although I spoke
> > with a few and they are not huge fans of working with Publisher files.  Any
> > suggestions, comments or recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks!

Where is Microsoft Publisher 2002?
Microsoft Publisher 2000 was included in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I can't find Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP). Did Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP) have to be purchased separately? If it is part of the Office XP bundle how do I load it. Not all versions of Office are the same as other versions - just like the different editions vary. You need to read the box to make sure you are getting what you need - or to see what program are included. Pub 2002 had to be purchased separately because it wasn't included with any retail s...

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

Convert single colum/multiple rows to multiple colums.
Hi, I have a .dat file when opened with Excel it has 1 column and 7 rows per entry. I would like to delete some rows and convert the rest to something like. Any chance this can be done. It's quite large. 51,793 rows. TIA Jeff Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Name Date Lenny Kravitz - 2000 - Greatest Hits -- Table: {2} { "music" "Name", "06/04/2008", "Lenny Kravitz - 2000 - Greatest Hits", }, --Table: {3} etc. etc. ...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

email set up in publisher

automatically naming files for savingb

Article published by Microsoft reg. 'Event' custom entity
Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen it and can provide a hyperlink? I will really appreciate it. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.aspx you'll probably find it in the above link "mkatsev" wrote: > Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a > sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I > bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

Batch converting leads to accounts
Is there a way to convert leads to accounts in batches? I need to convert up to 500 each day and don't have the time to go through them one at a time. Dave Lagergren On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:28:44 GMT, "Who Cares!" <whocares@freetidet.org> wrote: >Is there a way to convert leads to accounts in batches? I need to >convert up to 500 each day and don't have the time to go through them >one at a time. Only way is through the SDK. Write some code that loops through your leads and creates accounts, contacts and opportunities as needed and marks the lead as qu...

Help ! formatting data to text

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

Publisher 2003 #42
I am working on a 50+ page document in Publisher 2003, which I imported from Word. Suddenly, pages that were previously consecutive are "jumping" when I scroll through the document, jumping from page 19 to 33, etc. The text box links at the bottom of each page are working. I've tried cutting and pasting into a new document in case this one is corrupt, but with no success. I'd hate to have to start again, because I don't know what I could do differently, but this document is useless the way it is. Any ideas? Thanks. - Eldeem Description of the "Import Word Document...

Text in column causing SUMPRODUCT error
Greegings. I have a SUMPRODUCT formula that is having errors when one of the columns has text instead of a NULL or a number. If I delete the text cells in that column it works as desired. I'll give a simple example. Suppose I have the following in A1:B6.... a 1 a 2 a abc b 1 b 1 a 2 And I need this... =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6="a")*($B$1:$B$6)) It errors out until I delete the "abc" in cell B3, then it works as desired. I tried to replace the "abc" with a 0 by trying this... =IF(ISNUMBER(B3)=FALSE,0,B3) And it works for that pa...

Search Enhancement Pack
this will fix the microsoft folder problem from opening at logon. go to c:\program files.>>open the microosoft folder.>>cut the search enhancement pack folder and paste it into the program files folder.>> now delete the microsoft folder. this works trouble free. (OPTIONAL) then if u want to, u can open the search enhancement pack that is now in c:\program files, then open the installers folder and click on the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Installers\SearchEnhancementPack2.0.269\SearchEnhancementPack.msi. this will install it from this loc...

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

Publish as PDF or XPS plug-in
I am using Publisher 2007 on a Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3 box. When I go File > Publish as PDF or XPS and publish a document using the default settings for high quality printing with the "Open file after publishing" option enabled, the PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat 4.0. In the Windows Tools > Folder Options > File Types window, I have configured the file type PDF to open with Adobe Reader 9.0. When I double click a PDF on the desktop, the PDF opens in Adobe Reader 9.0. When I use the publish as PDF or XPS plug-in to create a PDF, the PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat 4.0. Why? Ch...

Help replacing text with Yes or No
I have a field formated as general. The field contains either 1 or is left blank. If the field has a 1 I want to replace it with Yes and if the field is blank I want to replace it with No. any help is appreciated. -- Jerry Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........... Assuming your data in Column A, put this in B1 and copy down........ =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No") Then highlight the column and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas..........then delete column A if you wish....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jerry Arnone, ...

Can't Convert Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data to MS Money 2004
First I tried to convert the Quicken Data using the MS Money 2003 OEM Version that came with the new computer I bought last week. Then I purchased MS Money 2004 Standard Edition and still couldn't convert my Quicken data. On the box, Microsoft says they offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no details about how to get your money back. Does anyone know how I can get my money back? Regards, John E. Golden ...

'Text' instead of number
I have spent two days manipulating data (about 300,000 cells' worth) I imported as Fixed-Width (from MAS-90, if anyone cares). The final step involves multiplying two numbers. The POSITIVE numbers imported fine, the NEGATIVE numbers imported as X.000- and give me a #VALUE! error when I use any math function with them. I have tried the Trimall macro. I am guessing that somehow Excel thinks the '-' is a DASH and not a negative... How do I change that???? See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/postfixnegatives.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- &g...