Cannot Save The File error when creating PDF

My Publisher 2007 has been able to create pdf files using the Save As PDF/XPS
plugin from microssoft for over a year. Just used it earlier today. Now I get
a 'Cannot Save The File' when I try to publish or save as PDF. I see a lot of
older post about this problem, but only suggestions to use other free PDF
creators.

If I create a new publication it works, but it will not work with existing
ones. What changed? It appears to be a coruption in the pub file. Why doesn't
microsoft create a file integrity or validation check to look for errors
rather than pointing everyone to other non microsoft solutions? Address the
issue, determine the cause, fix the problem.

Either it is a file coruption or the Microsoft PDF convertor has a hicup. I
can copy all of the contents to a new pub file and it works fine.

Have you tried Office Diagnostics in the Help menu?

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"LostBrain" <LostBrain@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> My Publisher 2007 has been able to create pdf files using the Save As PDF/XPS
> plugin from microssoft for over a year. Just used it earlier today. Now I get
> a 'Cannot Save The File' when I try to publish or save as PDF. I see a lot of
> older post about this problem, but only suggestions to use other free PDF
> creators.
>
> If I create a new publication it works, but it will not work with existing
> ones. What changed? It appears to be a coruption in the pub file. Why doesn't
> microsoft create a file integrity or validation check to look for errors
> rather than pointing everyone to other non microsoft solutions? Address the
> issue, determine the cause, fix the problem.
>
> Either it is a file coruption or the Microsoft PDF convertor has a hicup. I
> can copy all of the contents to a new pub file and it works fine.

0
Mary
1/30/2010 11:48:43 AM
LostBrain wrote:
> My Publisher 2007 has been able to create pdf files using the Save As
> PDF/XPS plugin from microssoft for over a year. Just used it earlier
> today. Now I get a 'Cannot Save The File' when I try to publish or
> save as PDF. I see a lot of older post about this problem, but only
> suggestions to use other free PDF creators.
>
> If I create a new publication it works, but it will not work with
> existing ones. What changed? It appears to be a coruption in the pub
> file. Why doesn't microsoft create a file integrity or validation
> check to look for errors rather than pointing everyone to other non
> microsoft solutions? Address the issue, determine the cause, fix the
> problem.
>
> Either it is a file coruption or the Microsoft PDF convertor has a
> hicup. I can copy all of the contents to a new pub file and it works
> fine.

You'd do better to ask Microsoft that question! Nobody here admits to
being Microsoft.

Geoff
ExploitEd

Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could
remember the darn question

0
GbH
1/30/2010 12:37:08 PM
If the file is damaged there isn't much Microsoft can do. It certainly isn't
worth the cost of a technical call. The OP found a workaround.  If the OP tried
the Design Checker or the many other troubleshooting options...
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote in message
> LostBrain wrote:
>> My Publisher 2007 has been able to create pdf files using the Save As
>> PDF/XPS plugin from microssoft for over a year. Just used it earlier
>> today. Now I get a 'Cannot Save The File' when I try to publish or
>> save as PDF. I see a lot of older post about this problem, but only
>> suggestions to use other free PDF creators.
>>
>> If I create a new publication it works, but it will not work with
>> existing ones. What changed? It appears to be a coruption in the pub
>> file. Why doesn't microsoft create a file integrity or validation
>> check to look for errors rather than pointing everyone to other non
>> microsoft solutions? Address the issue, determine the cause, fix the
>> problem.
>>
>> Either it is a file coruption or the Microsoft PDF convertor has a
>> hicup. I can copy all of the contents to a new pub file and it works
>> fine.
>
> You'd do better to ask Microsoft that question! Nobody here admits to being
> Microsoft.

> Geoff
> ExploitEd
>
> Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could
> remember the darn question

0
Mary

creating a table automatically
hi this is my first post, i'm fairly new to excel & i was hoping someone could help me out. i'm doing some computer work for my uncle & as i was going through everything that needed doing & i came accross this excel problem. I'd already created the document which is an operational status report. when he asked me to set it up so that a section of the report would automatically appear on each new page of the document. he's given me a list of the cells he wants to appear automatically. the list is a box from the cell A8 down to the cell N17. within the box is at least...

Creating and Organization Chart from and excel file
I was able to create an org. chart awhile ago and now when I try to use the org. chart wizard and select the excel file I get an error "cannot read names". I have excel and visio 2003. Can anyone help???? I want to include 4 fields from from excel file (name, title, department, reports_to). Help! Have you tried creating an Excel file recently? Perhaps there's an issue with your existing Excel file. I'd try generating a dummy file using the wizard, and then try importing it iback nto a new Visio file using the wizard. If that works, then you may want to cut / pas...

Quirky recent file list #2
Debra--- I do tend to open from Windows Explore more then File>Open. But I am saving the file. It's more that it is annoying when I close a file by accident and don't quite remember where it got saved on the server. Stacie -- SPenney ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SPenney's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1079 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267592 Well, I guess you weren't the only one who wanted this behaviour changed. <g> If/when you upgr...

Linking a graph to a csv file
**Excel 2002 Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow, I'm screwing this up. I ultimately need to have a self- updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file). According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs. However, my programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files. When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I open the source file. I *can't* take the time to open each csv - there will be hundreds. What am I missing wi...

Import Palm files
Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, calendar, etc Depends what you can export to from Palm Desktop. Personally, I've found this messy. Why not just get sync software that can sync your Palm with Outlook directly? Chapura Pocketmirror or Pumatech Intellisync are two ideas....or your Palm CD may have come with this option. F. Carvalho wrote: > Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files > (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, > calendar, etc ...

How do I create a pivot table if the pivot table icon or menu ite.
If rhe pivot table icon ...??? Please clarify in the body of the message. "Lynn@WS" <Lynn@WS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E6B098C-551A-4389-9048-7F4F5A6E5EF8@microsoft.com... > ...

How to set tab order for a dynamically created CEdit?
Anyone knows? Use SetWindowPos(...) and change the position in the z-order. -- Vipin Aravind <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139117672.835639.159660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Anyone knows? > Use SetWindowPos. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139117672.835639.159660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Anyone knows? > ...

outlook 2000 help file

ESM error
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have Exchange2k3 SP2 running on a Win2k3 server. Our Exchange Admin is out on medical leave so I am resuming his responsibilities. My problem is I cannot access some of the storage groups using exchange system manager. We have 4 mailbox stores and I get an error trying to access 3 of them. The error is "An unknown error has occurred. ID no: 80040d1b Exchange System Manager". What is really puzzling is if I click on a storage group a second time, I don't get the error but the storage group shows up as empty. I have thi...

Create pre-set margins & page no's.
How does one "pre-set" margins & desired page-numbering option so that most Word files that a person creates or copies from the Internet automatically are set to these specifications when a new document page is opened? (I am tired of doing this "by hand"over and over again each day!) Also, can I create one or more of this type of "template?" (I've never done this sort of thing before.) Create a template with the desired options specified. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Wo...

#Error Message
I have created a calculation to count the number of people and placed it in the Name Footer: =count([EyNumber]) and called the unbound box, CountNames. When there are no results it returns the #Error message. How can I remove this error message and display a message like, "No Data", or display the true results of a count? I have tried using the IsError function but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks Hi Nigel, Try: =IIf(IsError([EyNumber]), "No Data", Count([EyNumber]) Clifford Bass Nigel wrote: >I have created a calculatio...

List Shows Private Files
DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS? Whenever I save an attachment, and go to the drop down menu for file name, I am shown a list of dozens of files recently accessed on the computer (not just files accessed by Outlook Express). This occurs even if recent cocuments is turned off in Windows XP and even if the recent documents folder for Windows XP has been cleared. This shows too much! Others using Outlook Express on the same computer can potentially view the file names of every document, image, and device recently accessed. Where is the folder to clear this data out of? duncan <anonym...

Memory Usage When Playing WMV HD Files
Hi all, When I watch a WMV HD file using WMP11, the file appears to start up and play well until I try to fast forward / jump to another part of the file, then the player just stops and after watching via the task manager, WMP memory usage goes through the roof ie. gigabytes and ultimately the player crashes. Have reinstalled the player, have tried various codecs etc but all appears to be unsuccessful. System is XP based, E6600 cpu with 4gb PC6400 memory and 8800GTS 640mb graphics. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dumb question: what video card d...

To increase the upload file limit ONLY for one site collection
Hi, I have more than 1900 site collections on a web application. I know I can modify the upload file limit thru the CA or directly on the Web config file. However, I do not want to change the setting for all the site collections. I need to be able to change the setting only for a particular site collection. Is there anyway I can add manualy that entry in the web config file. Has anyone tried? Is this possible? Thanks in advance, Antonio ...

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

Opening Files #5
When I first open Excel ( Office 2003) it goes to the wrong file. How can I get it to open intially the file I want ? Thank You -- George E To set up your main file in XL: <Tools> <Options <General> tab, And in the "Default File Location" box, Enter the path to whatever drive, and directory and file that you want. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "George E...

svhost.exe: A CRM-related File?
Hello all. McAfee VirusScan has suddenly notified me that it detected a "potentially unwanted file" on the machine that I am using to host an ActionPack version of Microsoft CRM. This is an SBS installation, with everything running on one test machine. Here is the warning from McAfee: ---------------- Potential Unwanted Program Detected! The file C:\WINNT\System32\svhost.exe is a Potentially Unwanted Program (ServU-Daemon) ---------------- When I try to move the file to the desktop, I am alerted that it is in use and cannot be moved (no surprise, huh?). The interesting thin...

How to turn off auto save on forms?
Hi All, I need to be able to have the database not auto save when entering in new information on a form. I would like for there to be a prompt for them to save the information. As of now when you enter in new information and close the form it auto saves, and this is what I am trying to avoid. Can anyone please help with this? Thanks On Jan 7, 8:14 am, Michelle <Miche...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I need to be able to have the database not auto save when entering in new > information on a form. I would like for there to be a prompt for them to &...

file sbolext.dll
Downloaded a program some time ago that I found had spyware in it.When I took out the programs I started getting error message at start up of Outlook. "file hotbar\bin\448~1.o\sbolext.dll missing" Downloaded from Microsoft the newest version of the file. Still getting the error message on start. The program runs fine, don't know why it is looking for this file. Running Office 2000 Sr-1. The program removed was hot bars for wall paper and scam mail. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. e-mail address is jvanwie@tampabay.rr.com. ...

i renamed a file i needed and lost the info how do i get it back?
I had 2 files with the same name in excel. After I excited excel, I wanted to rename my new file, and I thought I was renaming the new file, but I actually renamed the old file I was working in and when it said this file exists do you want to change I said yes. I lost all my work. How do I get it back? You can't unless you had a backup. Not nice to excite excel. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Tera" <Tera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6545DD51-3597-45DB-A187-F248ED970C8F@microsoft.com... >I had 2 files with the same n...

popup box message; "Publisher cannot open the file"
saved as a .pub file but unable to open. popup box message "Publisher cannot open the file" What version Publisher do you have? Do you know what version Publisher was used to create the file? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "stature" <stature@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AD1D565-743D-478D-95DD-5C5358400272@microsoft.com... > saved as a .pub file but unable to open. popup box message "Publisher cannot > open the file" ...

Publisher says there's a problem with your file. Publisher won't
file in order to be safe. I worked on this document for 5 hours . Please help! Mari, It would probably be helpful if you could tell us exactly what error message you are receiving and what version of Publisher you are using. Please don't try to put everything in the subject heading. Bruce "Mari" wrote: > file in order to be safe. I worked on this document for 5 hours . Please > help! Did you backup at all? You may get lucky and Publisher saved a copy. In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address bar. Look for any file that has pub as a prefix, change the ...

Changing Default Server When Creating a New Mailbox
Hello, I was wondering for Exchange 2003 if there is a way to change the server that is highlighted first when you go to Exchange Tasks --> Create Mailbox. It appears that the first Exchange server in the list that is alphabetically the highest is displayed. I was wondering if there are any attributes I can change in ADSIEdit or AD Schema to change the default displayed server to a different one. Thanks in advance. ...