Cannot do a Save or Save As of Publisher File

We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space on
our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but
cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous posts
regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified that
the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The boxes
are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,
--
J M. Grant
0

Any chance that you are using a trial version of Publisher?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Joseph" <jmgr4nt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space
> on
> our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but
> cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous posts
> regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified that
> the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
> priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The
> boxes
> are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> J M. Grant

0
jl_amerson (3088)
4/7/2005 8:09:16 PM
Are you trying to edit the file from the CD? If that is the case, copy it back to
your hard drive and try again.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Joseph" <jmgr4nt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space on
> our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but
> cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous posts
> regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified that
> the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
> priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The boxes
> are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> J M. Grant

0
gsauer (5094)
4/7/2005 9:09:45 PM
No, these are all licensed and latest versions.  At this point I have to
believe that it is something that happened in the creation of the DVD, sorry
I said earlier CD but this was on a DVD.  My only concern now is how to
verify the theory and make sure we don't have this problem going forward.

Here is what I have done so far:

  I was able to locate the original file on a backup tape, restored it to
the network and that file loaded and was able to be saved without getting the
error message.

I was able to take that backup file and using our regular DVD creation
software was able to save it and then open and resave it without the error as
well.

I have had one of the artists go through the failed file from the original
DVD to verify the data and the images are all there and they confirmed that
it is complete.  So the user data in the file is not corrupt.

I am at a loss as to where to go next since I cannot recreate the error
except with the original file from the DVD.  I should also mention that the
files sizes between the original file from the DVD that is not working and
the one that works from the backup are exactly the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated but I am not going to spend
to much more on this since we found a working backup copy and will reburn the
DVD archive.  I have instituted a procedure where all archive DVDs will now
have to be verified to make sure that all the publisher files are usable
before being filed.

Thanks,
Joseph

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

> Any chance that you are using a trial version of Publisher?
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Joseph" <jmgr4nt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space
> > on
> > our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but
> > cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous posts
> > regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified that
> > the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
> > priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The
> > boxes
> > are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > J M. Grant

0
jmgr4nt (3)
4/11/2005 1:15:02 PM
Mary,

Thanks, no we are copying the file from the DVD, sorry not CD, and then
opening it and trying to edit it and resave it under a new name.  Please see
my response above on what we have done so far.  Your assitance and response
though was appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joseph

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Are you trying to edit the file from the CD? If that is the case, copy it back to
> your hard drive and try again.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "Joseph" <jmgr4nt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make space on
> > our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version but
> > cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous posts
> > regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified that
> > the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
> > priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The boxes
> > are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > J M. Grant

0
jmgr4nt (3)
4/11/2005 1:18:05 PM
Okay - now I'm curious. CD or DVD should not make a difference. Any chance
you could send me a copy of the file from the DVD? No promises but..........
If you can, send it to jl dot paules at gmail dot com.

--

> No, these are all licensed and latest versions.  At this point I have to
> believe that it is something that happened in the creation of the DVD,
> sorry
> I said earlier CD but this was on a DVD.  My only concern now is how to
> verify the theory and make sure we don't have this problem going forward.
>
> Here is what I have done so far:
>
>  I was able to locate the original file on a backup tape, restored it to
> the network and that file loaded and was able to be saved without getting
> the
> error message.
>
> I was able to take that backup file and using our regular DVD creation
> software was able to save it and then open and resave it without the error
> as
> well.
>
> I have had one of the artists go through the failed file from the original
> DVD to verify the data and the images are all there and they confirmed
> that
> it is complete.  So the user data in the file is not corrupt.
>
> I am at a loss as to where to go next since I cannot recreate the error
> except with the original file from the DVD.  I should also mention that
> the
> files sizes between the original file from the DVD that is not working and
> the one that works from the backup are exactly the same.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated but I am not going to
> spend
> to much more on this since we found a working backup copy and will reburn
> the
> DVD archive.  I have instituted a procedure where all archive DVDs will
> now
> have to be verified to make sure that all the publisher files are usable
> before being filed.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Any chance that you are using a trial version of Publisher?
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Joseph" <jmgr4nt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a file that was created some time back, burned to CD to make
>> > space
>> > on
>> > our network.  We now need to use the file to create a smaller version
>> > but
>> > cannot get Publisher to save it anwyere.  I have seen the previous
>> > posts
>> > regardin NAV and that was done without success.  I have also verified
>> > that
>> > the file is not "read only" or "hidden".Of note though, I have full
>> > priviledges to the file and yet I cannot change permissions on it.  The
>> > boxes
>> > are all greyed out.  What am I missing here?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > J M. Grant

0
jl_amerson (3088)

How can I update my "Publisher for Windows 95"?
I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? one_thing_303 wrote: > I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a > more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? The current version of Publisher is Publisher 2007, available at most software stores as well as online. Check that your computer meets the system requirements before purchasing. Publisher has undergone rather a substantial number of chan...

Test file needed quickly
Does anyone know where I can get a very large testt excel file that has a running macro? What I need to do is to run several apps that will "drain" most of my resources. I need to test another app in how it will handle low resources. I was thinking someone might have a test file just for this reason. A large spreadsheet that has a macro doing some calculations, at the same time while other apps are running. Thanks ahead for any help or suggestions. You realize if you fill a cell and then copy it to the rest of the sheet, it get really big, really fast? Dave wrote: > Doe...

Code Bloat/Growing Excel files?

Publisher File #3
When I insert aphoto into a publisher file it looks "mosaic" not all photos only some what kind of image file? how big is the file? does it look normal if you look at the image with an image editor/view = outside of pub? could be a lot of things...need more info. "Chloe" <Chloe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:11CC693A-D976-487E-A76E-EEE051D67B32@microsoft.com... | When I insert aphoto into a publisher file it looks "mosaic" not all = photos=20 | only some ...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

money file extraction: virus or worm
hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it started extracting a bunch of files. then that screen closed. now the program will not work. is there a worm or virus targeting people's MOney files? travis johnson lafayette, oregon In microsoft.public.money, travis johnson wrote: >hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of >starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it >started extracting a bunch of files. > >then that screen closed. > >now the program will not work. > >i...

Save and save as

Publisher 2007 #35
Why does it keep crashing when I minimise it? Is your video/graphics driver current? Are you getting an error message? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "comicool" <comicool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BAA1E8A-1A18-4C5A-8652-C7A3F3E30F1B@microsoft.com... > Why does it keep crashing when I minimise it? ...

Saving Images

vba to check if a file on a server is currently open or in use by someone.
How can I use vba to check if a file on a server is currently in use o open by anyone on the network - and is it possible to see which use has the file open???? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com MS has code here that checks to see if any file is open: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q138621 XL: Macro Code to Check Whether a File Is Already Open (Q138621) And take a look at WriteReservedBy in VBA's help. I've never used it. Some people say it works ok for them--others say it doesn't. "dovrox <" wrote: > > How can ...

HELP I havbe been moved to Publisher from Printshop Help Convertin
How can I get MS publisher2003 to open my Printshop.sig files ??????please help I believe you are out of luck. Do you still have PrintShop? Copy and paste. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chris Atwell" <ChrisAtwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2D44049-4B39-4C6B-B0C3-3B9A8662B5EA@microsoft.com... > How can I get MS publisher2003 to open my Printshop.sig files ??????please help Is there no way of converting printshop files like .biz to publisher? "Chris Atwell" wrot...

Publish Survey
I created a survey in Sharepoint but can't figure out how to get it to display on a page/part. Whe i pull it over from 'design page' i only get a section but no link or survey questions. Hope someone can help (survey function is very new to me). -- Thank you ------=_NextPart_0001_B4CABC24 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit http://vspug.com/ssa/2006/11/01/creating-a-survey-in-moss-2007/ http://vspug.com/ssa/2006/11/03/creating-a-survey-in-moss-2007-programmatica lly/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6OFlk8X-Yc&feature=related Hope this ...

"Unattainable" savings goals

can publisher increase gift certificate numbers
Is it possible when using Publisher 2003 to create gift certificates, to have the number on the gift certificate automatically increase by 1? Thanks Chris Sure can. Check out the following link: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "chris turner" <chris turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1D3E690-6F0E-4090-9DEB-967FC5C48D11@microsoft.com... > Is it possible whe...

Saving default tabs

lost pictures in a Publisher document
I recently opened a document created in 2006 and found that all of the pictures I inserted are missing. The correct spacing is there, but no picture. How do I get them back (if possible). Thanks Read the third FAQ here Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Cidmar" <Cidmar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B89472C-BE72-4F62-BC65-81BA0F761652@microsoft.com... >I recently...

Save to unProtect a Document?

PST file import to windows mail
I have chage my PC and I cannot import the PST outlook file in to my new windows Mail so far A error message appaer when I try to import a outlook message. Is someone have an idea regarding this issue Thanks Philippe You need outlook installed and configured on the Vista PC before you can import There is a workaround, assuming the old pc with outlook on is still available. You export your mail to outlook express, then copy the outlook express msg store to the Vista PC, then Mail can import it. Or you download the Office trial, with outlook, connect your pst as default to outlook, ...

Save csv format to dbf format

Daylight Savings Time #2