Can Publisher do duplex printing???

I need to print a monthly bulletin on a Ricoh 1075 printer/copier.  The
printer will do duplex printing: I created a Word document and it prints
duplex A-OK.

My Publisher document is 16 logical pages 8.5x11 which I want to print
duplex 2-up on 4 11x17 physical pages.   I can get the pages to print
2-up a-ok, but I can't get the pages to print duplex.  I've tried every
possible print layout setting there is....duplex, booklet, you name it.
  No matter what I do the pages come out one sided.

There must be some trick I'm missing, but what could it be?   I searched
the MS Knowledge Base but could find nothing on duplex or booklet printing.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:41:35 +0000, Birk Binnard wrote
(in article <#y83TtwJGHA.2896@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>):

> I need to print a monthly bulletin on a Ricoh 1075 printer/copier.  The
> printer will do duplex printing: I created a Word document and it prints
> duplex A-OK.
>
> My Publisher document is 16 logical pages 8.5x11 which I want to print
> duplex 2-up on 4 11x17 physical pages.   I can get the pages to print
> 2-up a-ok, but I can't get the pages to print duplex.  I've tried every
> possible print layout setting there is....duplex, booklet, you name it.
>   No matter what I do the pages come out one sided.
>
> There must be some trick I'm missing, but what could it be?   I searched
> the MS Knowledge Base but could find nothing on duplex or booklet printing.

Why on Earth would the MSKB give you an answer to an issue with your
printer/printer settings? This has nothing whatsoever to do with Publisher
(and I don't care if "all my other apps print fine" DTP applications are a
*LOT* more fussy about drivers).

0
naggingdoubt (192)
2/1/2006 10:46:07 AM
Is the Ricoh 1075 a duplex printer? If not, best to mention which version of
Publisher you are using.

Why use 8�" x 11" size if the printer can handle 11" x 17" paper?

You might want to do a Printer setup for the 11" x 17" paper and then a Page
setup for 8�" x 11" using the booklet setting.

--
Don
"May your shadow be found in happy places." (North American Native)

"Birk Binnard" <birkb@NOSPAMbirkbinnard.com> wrote in message
>I need to print a monthly bulletin on a Ricoh 1075 printer/copier.  The
>printer will do duplex printing: I created a Word document and it prints
>duplex A-OK.
>
> My Publisher document is 16 logical pages 8.5x11 which I want to print
> duplex 2-up on 4 11x17 physical pages.   I can get the pages to print 2-up
> a-ok, but I can't get the pages to print duplex.  I've tried every
> possible print layout setting there is....duplex, booklet, you name it. No
> matter what I do the pages come out one sided.
>
> There must be some trick I'm missing, but what could it be?   I searched
> the MS Knowledge Base but could find nothing on duplex or booklet
> printing.
> --
> Birk Binnard
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

Birk Binnard <birkb@NOSPAMbirkbinnard.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> I need to print a monthly bulletin on a Ricoh 1075 printer/copier. The
> printer will do duplex printing: I created a Word document and it
> prints duplex A-OK.

Did you try to print duplex A3 or duplex A4?

> There must be some trick I'm missing, but what could it be?   I
> searched the MS Knowledge Base but could find nothing on duplex or
> booklet printing.

Two words: Printer Drivers.  The duplex feature is one of your printer, and
is entirely out of Publisher's hands.  It is controlled entirely by the
software for your printer (and the firmware, of course).  Updating drivers
and/or firmware should fix the issue; if not, ask Ricoh support.  And don't
let them tell you it's a Publisher problem.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/1/2006 1:39:38 PM
I posted the problem here because I did verify the printer will print
duplex just fine from Word.  This tells me the printer & printer driver
work OK.  It's Publisher that does not print duplex.  Seems to me that
indicates a problem with Publisher, no?
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com

The pages of the bulletin are 8.5 x 11.  If you use 11x17 paper in
Landscape mode you can put 2 logical pages on one physical page, both
front and back.  Then if you fold the 11x17 pages in half you get a nice
little booklet.

I did try the booklet setting and all other combinations I could think
of, but I only got single sided prints out of the printer.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com

I previously answered your comment about printer drivers.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com
Birk Binnard <birkb@NOSPAMbirkbinnard.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> I posted the problem here because I did verify the printer will print
> duplex just fine from Word.  This tells me the printer & printer
> driver work OK.  It's Publisher that does not print duplex.  Seems to
> me that indicates a problem with Publisher, no?

Nope.

Publisher has no control over the functionality of your printer driver.

Publisher cannot and will never be able to control the duplex functionality
of your printer.  That must be done in your printer driver.

Publisher does, however, require that you have a fully-functional printer
driver.  Many applications are more tolerant about printer drivers, as they
don't make as extensive use of the various driver calls (or whatever they
use, as I haven't studied the Windows printing interface in that great
detail).  Publisher and other DTP applications put much higher demands on
their drivers, so the worse-written drivers are less likely to function
correctly.

Do you believe me yet?  Sarah already explained the problem once:

> (and I don't care if "all my other apps print fine" DTP applications are
> a LOT more fussy about drivers).

All I've done is attempt to phrase it in a different way.  If you choose to
post back AGAIN saying "But Word prints fine", I'll be forced to get really
quite annoyed.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/1/2006 4:25:06 PM
Birk Binnard <birkb@NOSPAMbirkbinnard.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> I did not try using A3 or A4 -- I thought these were European size
> paper settings.

No, those are INTERNATIONAL STANDARD paper sizes.  Used everywhere apart
from the archaic USofA.

I misread your post.  What I should have asked is "Have you tried duplexing
at TABLOID (11x17) size?"

It is possible that your duplex module may only work on letter- or
legal-sized paper, and not tabloid.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/1/2006 5:23:37 PM
Based on suggestions posted here I did check the Ricoh website and
discovered that there is a recent printer driver update for my printer.
  One of the fixes listed in the driver update doc was "failure to
respond to duplex request."  I thought this was an odd statement since I
did print duplex successfully from Word (by specifying Duplex in the
printer setup dialog), so when I saw this output I figured the printer
was A-OK.

Well this was a wrong assumption.  Installing the new driver software
was a bit of a hassle, but I did manage to get it done.  After that I
was able to print the 16 page bulletin successfully on 4 duplex 11x17"
pages.  Interestingly enough, the new driver puts up a dialog box just
before duplex printing starts asking if it's OK to proceed with printing
on both sides of the paper.  Another little quirk is it's necessary to
re-set all the page setup/duplexing parameters each time the document
prints.  It looks like the settings all get reset to default values
after each print operation.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com

http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/downloads.asp?tsn=Ricoh-USA&path=http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc2/model/x1060_70/x1060_70en.htm

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

>I did not try using A3 or A4 -- I thought these were European size paper
>settings.
>
> I previously answered your comment about printer drivers.
> --
> Birk Binnard
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

0
mikehalll (72)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

Can Not Reply To Emails

Adobe Pagemaker 7.0 into MS Publisher
I am trying to get a school to move to Microsoft products. They currently do all of their newsletters and certificates in Adobe Pagemaker. How do I get these files imported into MS Publisher 2003? Is there a 3rd party tool that can do this? Has this not been requested before Any help will be appreciated. The only way you can do it is via the ClipBoard. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying human rights being held at Guantanamo Bay. ...

Can't delete email #2

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Publisher #47
I have Microsoft Student , Teacher. Can I add Publisher or anything else to help me design my own business cards? Sure, you can purchase and install Publisher separately. You also can use Word to design your cards. http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Festina" <Festina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CC65344-48FC-49B5-AC88-CC860A0BF6C8@microsoft.com... >I have Microsoft Student , Teacher. Can I add Publisher or anything else to > help me ...

Drawings move during printing
I have created a drawing from several objects (arcs, ovals, triangles, etc.). When I try to print, some objects move (especially annoying is BlocArc). How should I solve this problem? The way I do it now is to copy it as an Enhanced metafile picture into Word and print from there, but the quality is not the best (printing lots of objects on a A0 paper). It refers to objects from the control toolbox, but the information in the following post by Dave Peterson may help: http://groups.google.ca/groups?&threadm=4252EFEF.C8CBA674%40netscapeXSPAM.com 00xPhoenix wrote: > I have crea...

"Publisher cannot open the file"
Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the computer, copied the file to another folder but still it won't open. Any suggestions please. Chrisssss...... Chrisssssss......... wrote: || Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open || just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line || pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the || computer, copied the file to another folder ...

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...