Can No Longer Save File

Greetings,

I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I
use Publisher for all my marketing & advertising).  I've used this
particular file for a couple years.  However, it has grown to the size of
276 MB.

I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more.  I
tried saving it onto a CD but that failed too.  I've tried closing all other
applications but the file in question & its still no use.

Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz
RAM 256 MB
Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB

I've posted in the Windows XP newsgroup but I haven't gotten any useful
answers yet.  I realize my problem could be lack of RAM or HD space or maybe
even both.

I just thought I pose the question here, in the hopes that some Publisher
experts can shed additional light on the subject.

Thanx!

0
pegasus (1)

I think you answered your own question
when you mentioned RAM and HD space.
Do you have any programs you could
uninstall to create more HD space? I'm
surprised that you are able to open and
edit the project on a machine with only
10% free HD space.

Actually, hard drives are relatively inexpensive
now...maybe you could consider installing
a larger one? Just as an example, Office
Depot is offering a 80GB Maxtor this week
for $49.99 after rebates.

In the meanwhile...maybe a little maintenance
would help:

Running Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and
Defrag on a regular schedule is a good idea.

(310312) Description of the Disk Cleanup
Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312

(315265) How to Perform Disk Error Checking
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265

(314848) How to Defragment Your Disk
Drive Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848

--

John Inzer

"Pegasus Colwell" <pegasus@wingedwonders.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I
> use Publisher for all my marketing & advertising).  I've used this
> particular file for a couple years.  However, it has grown to the size of
> 276 MB.
>
> I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more.  I
> tried saving it onto a CD but that failed too.  I've tried closing all
> other applications but the file in question & its still no use.
>
> Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz
> RAM 256 MB
> Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB
>
> I've posted in the Windows XP newsgroup but I haven't gotten any useful
> answers yet.  I realize my problem could be lack of RAM or HD space or
> maybe even both.
>
> I just thought I pose the question here, in the hopes that some Publisher
> experts can shed additional light on the subject.
>
> Thanx!

0
oobie (2069)
5/19/2005 6:26:29 AM
PUB2000: Publication Retains Large File Size When Pages Are Deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218725

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Pegasus Colwell" <pegasus@wingedwonders.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I use
> Publisher for all my marketing & advertising).  I've used this particular file for
> a couple years.  However, it has grown to the size of 276 MB.
>
> I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more.  I tried
> saving it onto a CD but that failed too.  I've tried closing all other applications
> but the file in question & its still no use.
>
> Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz
> RAM 256 MB
> Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB
>
> I've posted in the Windows XP newsgroup but I haven't gotten any useful answers
> yet.  I realize my problem could be lack of RAM or HD space or maybe even both.
>
> I just thought I pose the question here, in the hopes that some Publisher experts
> can shed additional light on the subject.
>
> Thanx!

0
gsauer (5094)
5/19/2005 8:08:15 AM
Do you try to load any "non-embedding" fonts at startup?
This may prevent you from saving.

Regards Terje

"Pegasus Colwell" <pegasus@wingedwonders.com> skrev i melding
> Greetings,
>
> I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I
> use Publisher for all my marketing & advertising).  I've used this
> particular file for a couple years.  However, it has grown to the size of
> 276 MB.
>
> I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more.  I
> tried saving it onto a CD but that failed too.  I've tried closing all
other
> applications but the file in question & its still no use.
>
> Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz
> RAM 256 MB
> Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB
>
> I've posted in the Windows XP newsgroup but I haven't gotten any useful
> answers yet.  I realize my problem could be lack of RAM or HD space or
maybe
> even both.
>
> I just thought I pose the question here, in the hopes that some Publisher
> experts can shed additional light on the subject.
>
> Thanx!

concatenate files...
Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: >Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party >tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul Yes, the same way you did before: copy file1.txt + file2.txt fileboth.txt Type copy /? at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt Paul H wrote: ...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

Can Not Reply To Emails

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Can't delete email #2

backtick saving bug
Description: Internet Explorer 8 Save To Disk damages documents with backticks in attribute values. Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a HTML document containing the code <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="`" DISABLED > 2. Open the document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. 3. Tell Microsoft Internet Explorer to save the document to disk as bare HTML using ISO encoding. 4. Open the saved document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Expected result: 4. The saved page should display the same content as the original page. Actual result: 4. The saved page displays...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Outlook 2003 SP1 upgrade
I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open - If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as to why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates everything worked fine. Any help would be gratefully received - Regards, Michael Hewson MCP ...