Breaking links in Publisher 2002 (XP)

Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
with Excell-linked graphics.  There is no option to break
links under the "edit:links" menu, and the option to break
links isn't possible under the commercial printing tools
menu.  Does anyone know of a different way to go about
this?

Please e-mail me at wmorris@mma-research.com

Thanks!
Whitney
0
anonymous (74719)

What if you moved the files it wants to be linked to? I've found that'll
break those links in a heartbeat.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Whitney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
> with Excell-linked graphics.  There is no option to break
> links under the "edit:links" menu, and the option to break
> links isn't possible under the commercial printing tools
> menu.  Does anyone know of a different way to go about
> this?
>
> Please e-mail me at wmorris@mma-research.com
>
> Thanks!
> Whitney

0
jl_amerson (3088)
5/20/2004 3:07:27 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
Whitney <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
> with Excell-linked graphics.

Out of interest, why would breaking links decrease the filesize?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
5/20/2004 3:41:03 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
> Whitney <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
>> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
>> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
>> with Excell-linked graphics.
>
> Out of interest, why would breaking links decrease the filesize?

I was just thinking the very same thing and I've come to the same
conclusion - it wouldn't.

0
cerridwen (233)

Linking directly to CRM
Is there any way to create hyperlinks that will pop up windows pointing to specific instances of CRM entities. Either in Read only or editable form? Not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but... If you open up a contact detail screen in your CRM, and hit F11 on your keyboard, it will reveal the url of that specific screen - it should look similar to this: http://yourservername/sfa/conts/edit.aspx?id={6505B000-A555-462A-A45A-C907246F55AF} And any user, which appropriate permissions and roles, can use that url to view that specific contact detail record. CRM Security will be respected...

Microsoft's Mactopia site loses links to promotions and downloads
What a mess! Microsoft launched it's new updated web site for Office for Mac today and the links to promotions are messed up. There is no way for users that are purchasing Office for Mac to view the offers or coupons at this time. When you log into Mactopia you get the new link http://www.microsoft.com/mac/comingsoon.htm. This includes the Mac Downloads page! Clicking on the Preview Office 2008 for Mac link offers a link to the Suite Deal that just returns you to the main page. IMHO Heads should roll over a mistake like this! -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees...

Cannot Run Money 2002 After Installing on Windows XP
I installed Money 2002 on my system after reburning it with Windows XP. I get the error message "Unable to initialize a required Money component...". I have tried using the KB article 313374 to fix it, but CHECKSKU isn't creating the RequiredInfoState registry key. When I run CHECKSKU, it (correctly) notes that the RequiredInfoState registry key is missing. After answering "Yes" to the question "Do you want to try repairing the Money installation now?", I immediately get the error "Money is not installed correctly. Last error = 0x8007064A&qu...

saving ms publisher files in a different file format
I create a business card in microsoft publisher 2000. I save it. It saves as a .pub file. If I want to use the file in email or paint shop or whatever, none of my programs will accept .pub files. And, publisher won't let me save the file as a .jpg, .gif, or anything like that. How do I save or convert or ? a publisher file in another file format so I can insert it into email, word, paint shop, or any software program I need to use it in? Appreciate any help, Nancy refer to http://www.microsoft.com/office/using/column16.asp and http://www.mvps.org/publisher/compatibility.html -- ...

cannot access outlook 2002
Hi, I click the outlook icon and get the following message: cannot start microsoft outlook. File access denied. you do not have permission required to access the file. C:\documents and settings\myname\local settings\application data\outlook\outlook.pst I think I caused the problem, as I was looking for a TEMP file in the similar area. I may have upset some attributes for all subfiles in c:\documents and settings\ ptoblem I have is I've no idea what I did, and therefore no idea what to undid. thanks, Try creating a new profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all repl...

Borders
I am creating a quote template in excel. To get the correct 'look and feel', I have used borders. This is fine if the quote can be contained on a single printed sheet, however, as soon as I go into a second page, I cannot get the border to recognise a page break. In other words, I have a series of vertical border lines but no horizontal border to signafy the end of one page and the start of another - Can this be automated? Many thanks! Excel 2002 ...

Clearing search results in Outlook 2002
Upon completing a search, when I go to clear the results and use Outlook again it gives a message "Outlook can not display this view" and the locks up. I have to exit completely and restart to get Outlook working again.Any ideas? ...

Can you get line breaks in a text cell
I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free text input. Is there a way I can put in a line or para break into a cell (as you can in a cell of a word table). Can't easily use separate cells as the number of paras can vary. I could use word but then I lose the facility to use excel on all the cells that contain data. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA Rob Just hit Alt-Enter which editing a cell to start a new line RFJ wrote: > I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free > text input. &...

Excel
Users are reporting that when they save an excel spreadsheet, that when they re open it, the embedded links re point from their G drive to their H or local C drives. Sometimes the link is substituted by random words. I know that this sounds virus related but can find no fix for it on the web. FWIW With multiple users I have to suspect them first <grin>. I hav noticed a tendency to get problems when linked files are :- 1. Not in the same folder as the main file. 2. The user's currently active folder (check with File/Open) i different. I guess a user would have to save the file...

Link to another workbook & indirect
I've been playing around with =indirect but I can't get it to work with linking to a different workbook. I have a workbook that tracks fuel usage for about 50 trucks. There are as many sheets as there are trucks and each sheet's name is the truck's number. That number is always in A1, by way of a formula. With the new year I've created a new workbook with no data and I'm looking to copy each trucks mileage from last years workbook to the new one. ='[Fuel2009.xls]107'!$H$2 links to the correct cell but what I'm looking to do is to use the cont...

Page Breaks
When I add a page break on one page I get a paragragh return on the next page which brings down the copy on the page....How do I have a page break without the return on the following page? Unless the paragraph mark is before a table, you should be able to delete it. But you can work around this in any case by formatting the text on the desired new page as "Page break before." -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "designermom" <designermom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

linking problem
Hello All, Please help i have a linking peoblem, the error i get is : Linking... LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : error LNK2005: _iswupper already defined in TMHotkeys.obj LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : error LNK2005: _iswdigit already defined in TMMDParser.obj LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : warning LNK4006: _iswupper already defined in TMHotkeys.obj; second definition ignored LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : warning LNK4006: _iswdigit already defined in TMMDParser.obj; second definition ignored 10x hy, check for double included files! >-----Original Message----- >Hello All, > >Please help i have a lin...

page break preview #3
I have created a new "sheet" in my workbook. My first sheet includes Page 1 to Page 22. I want my second sheet to start at Page 17, which I changed on the page setup page, however, the page break preview is still showing PAGE 1. How can I change this to show Page 17? VickiJo, If you're printing or previewing sheets separately, you'll get a starting page number of 1. If you're printint or previewing multiple sheets, it'll continue the page numbers from sheet to sheet. The First Page Number (File - Page Setup - Page tab) must be set to "Auto" for ...

Linking worksheets after runnning report
O.k. please bear with me for this one I will try my best to explain. I am running a report (layout) using peoplesoft software and it returns the information in excel. When I run the layout the criteria is entered in one row, say A4 for example. The problem is that when I run the report (layout) the information expands. So I now have information in cel A4 - A10 (or wherever the data ends) on my layout worksheet. I want to link the layout worksheet to a different worksheet so I can format it, and display it in a more visually appealing manner. The problem is with the link. Before I...

getting rid of linking errors...
hello every1, I am new to VC++. I have assignement in which i am trying to port VC 6 code to VC 2005. Although I removed some of the common errors, I am getting some linking errors while building the sol'n. These are as follows: LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library USBInfo.lib(USBInfoInterface.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: void __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::_Copy(unsigned int)&...

How do I mailmerge ALL addresses from Excel to Publisher?
I am publishing a 36 page address directory in landscape mode, with a text box on each page divided into two columns. I have tried exporting my Excel spreadsheet into this directory using mail merge and get the first address on the first page, then the second address on the second page, etc. I want to list 8 addresses per column (16 addresses per page). What is the code I have to use to get the addresses to list sequentially????? When I go to print or print preview, because it is a "brochure" I don't have the option to print Multiple pages. Help!!! Have you l...

outlook 2002 #55
Help please. When I open outlook 2002 and click on an email header, it takes a long time, approximately 6 seconds for the email message to show up. When you go to the next email, it does the same thing. If I reboot my system, it is okay for a while but then starts all over again. Thanks Try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds things up. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:024701c3a...

Section Breaks
I inherited a 61 page document that has a table of contents. There is a section break that I want to delete. I would like to delete all the section breaks as it seems to make the page numbering start over. How can I do that? You don't have to delete the section breaks to make the page numbering continuous. For each section, in the Page Number Format dialog box, choose "Continue from previous section." To display the dialog box, first activate the header and footer area, for example by double-clicking the header. Then do the following: - Click the Format Page ...

Sharepoint Linked Table
Hi! I just inherited an Access 2003 database which has a linked table to Sharepoint (dbo_...) without any problem. When you view the actual table from Sharepoint it only has 5 fields, but in Access 2003 have 12 fields. It gets updated without any issue. We are in the process of converting to Access 2007 and the linked table is different from Access 2003. Most of the columns are dropped. Would anyone know how I can keep the same exact column layout (# of columns) as in 2003? This is necessary, because in the code, the linked table updates the local table. Also, we must leave as is, beca...

Help with links in one worksheet please
Hi I have made up a worksheet that will work out all my takings & expenses for the week. I have then made a totals sheet which I would like to add up all the Weekly totals for the year. I have done all the links from the Weekly sheet to the totals sheet and they all work fine. As I will have 52 weeks how do I copy the links I have made for week one (with the relevant changes for that weekly sheet) in the totals sheet? I hope you can understand this Any web sites that may help? Thanks for looking Derek One way is to make a list of your sheet names in col A and use or a modifi...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

Outlook 2002: clear settings
How do I clear all my Outlook settings and do a fresh install? I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the Cloudmark anti-spam software for the past year on my work PC. A couple of weeks ago my Cloudmark stopped working (the buttons stopped popping up). I've installed it on my home PC and it works fine. So I reinstalled Outlook on my work PC but the Cloudmark buttons still don't pop up. The defaults automatically are selected to my previous choices. I want to try tricking Cloudmark in to thinking that I've never installed it on my work PC. How do I clear all my Outl...

Unable to Link a BOFA California Account #2
Hey. Really want to thank Chester for the following link: https://sitekey.bankofamerica.com/sas/pfmEnrollEntryPoint.do?target=MODEL&req=MON I have been trying to download BOA California for a few weeks now with no success. Turns out since I use Quicken as well you have to make a choice, either you download to MS Money or download to Quicken. I now know I simply can't access BOA through MS Money because I really am prone to Quicken. Personally, I think from what information I have gathered thus far "Yodlee Money Center" is the way to go as far as monitoring accounts goe...

How do I print 1 Avery 8871 business card at a time in Publisher?
No options for single card or card position selection displays on the print menu for a Dell A920 inkjet printer. Using Publisher 2003. Check out the tutorial below on Manual layout for Business Cards: http://www.publishermvps.com/General/Tutorials/tabid/39/Default.aspx -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "SForte" <SForte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C44CD3E3-0AED-4BF3-8B0F-9459104B0703@microsoft.com... > No options for single car...

Publisher 2003 hotfix package Update (KB 838901)
Publisher 2003 hotfix package OfficeQFE:11818 ARTICLE CONTENTS a.. SUMMARY a.. Issues that are fixed in the hotfix package b.. MORE INFORMATION a.. Hotfix information a.. Prerequisites b.. Restart information c.. Hotfix replacement information d.. Registry information e.. Hotfix file information b.. Additional notes c.. REFERENCES SUMMARY This article describes the Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 issue that is fixed in the Publisher 2003 hotfix package that is dated April 1, 2004. Issues that are fixed in the hotfix package The following issue...