After catalog merge where items are different heights...

It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap together 
when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some 
descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short 
descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big gap. 
Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the previous 
textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML, 
for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other.

The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire 
formatted contents out into a single textbox or text flow of some sort. It 
looks like I will have to try to do some sort of merge into Word to get all 
of the text together so I can then laboriously copy and paste one large text 
stream into publisher. I am trying to make a fund raiser brochure for an 
auction (a catalog of auction items). 

Any suggestions? Thanks!
0
Oceaneer (5)
4/11/2008 7:15:01 AM
publisher 21446 articles. 3 followers. Follow

4 Replies
691 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

In step 5 (2003) or step 3 (2007) create new publication. You can edit the 
results and change the text boxes and/or page setup.

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:09ECFAF4-3092-4BAC-8067-ADC19553D094@microsoft.com...
> It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap together
> when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some
> descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short
> descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big gap.
> Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the previous
> textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML,
> for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other.
>
> The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire
> formatted contents out into a single textbox or text flow of some sort. It
> looks like I will have to try to do some sort of merge into Word to get all
> of the text together so I can then laboriously copy and paste one large text
> stream into publisher. I am trying to make a fund raiser brochure for an
> auction (a catalog of auction items).
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks! 


0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/11/2008 9:18:12 AM
Yes, I can change the textboxes but that changes the height for all of them 
when the catalog is generated. I am talking about after the catalog is 
generated and the pages full of info are created. At that point I may have, 
on a single page, one item with a 5 sentence description followed by an item 
with a single sentence description followed by another with an 8 sentence 
description. I want the third item to slide up. Is that possible? If not, I 
will keep looking for a professional publishing package that can do this 
simple task.

Thanks for your help.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> In step 5 (2003) or step 3 (2007) create new publication. You can edit the 
> results and change the text boxes and/or page setup.
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> 
> "Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:09ECFAF4-3092-4BAC-8067-ADC19553D094@microsoft.com...
> > It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap together
> > when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some
> > descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short
> > descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big gap.
> > Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the previous
> > textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML,
> > for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other.
> >
> > The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire
> > formatted contents out into a single textbox or text flow of some sort. It
> > looks like I will have to try to do some sort of merge into Word to get all
> > of the text together so I can then laboriously copy and paste one large text
> > stream into publisher. I am trying to make a fund raiser brochure for an
> > auction (a catalog of auction items).
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks! 
> 
> 
> 
0
Oceaneer (5)
4/11/2008 2:49:01 PM
This is exactly why I suggested to merge to a new publication. You can manually 
change the size of your text boxes, rearrange the product pictures. It will not 
do it automatically. What you set in the catalog block is what you get in the 
merge.
Have you looked into Word's merge?

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:59F43B12-2A72-4493-A58C-367BECAA4620@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I can change the textboxes but that changes the height for all of them
> when the catalog is generated. I am talking about after the catalog is
> generated and the pages full of info are created. At that point I may have,
> on a single page, one item with a 5 sentence description followed by an item
> with a single sentence description followed by another with an 8 sentence
> description. I want the third item to slide up. Is that possible? If not, I
> will keep looking for a professional publishing package that can do this
> simple task.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> In step 5 (2003) or step 3 (2007) create new publication. You can edit the
>> results and change the text boxes and/or page setup.
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>
>> "Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:09ECFAF4-3092-4BAC-8067-ADC19553D094@microsoft.com...
>> > It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap 
>> > together
>> > when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some
>> > descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short
>> > descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big 
>> > gap.
>> > Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the 
>> > previous
>> > textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML,
>> > for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other.
>> >
>> > The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire
>> > formatted contents out into a single textbox or text flow of some sort. It
>> > looks like I will have to try to do some sort of merge into Word to get all
>> > of the text together so I can then laboriously copy and paste one large 
>> > text
>> > stream into publisher. I am trying to make a fund raiser brochure for an
>> > auction (a catalog of auction items).
>> >
>> > Any suggestions? Thanks!
>>
>>
>> 


0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/11/2008 4:21:51 PM
Thank you, Mary. This is exactly what I was afraid of. I don't know if you 
have ever made a catalog of any length at all with varying descrption lengths 
but any type of manual editing is completely out of the question. We're 
talking about 50-100 pages of moving around and re-sizing the little text 
boxes. Or you settle for big gaps in the pages.

The solution will be that I will generate one continuous stream of formatted 
information and paste it all into one textbox like a Quark or other page 
making software would produce. Then all I will have to worry about are 
page/column breaks.

Thanks again.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> This is exactly why I suggested to merge to a new publication. You can manually 
> change the size of your text boxes, rearrange the product pictures. It will not 
> do it automatically. What you set in the catalog block is what you get in the 
> merge.
> Have you looked into Word's merge?
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> 
> "Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:59F43B12-2A72-4493-A58C-367BECAA4620@microsoft.com...
> > Yes, I can change the textboxes but that changes the height for all of them
> > when the catalog is generated. I am talking about after the catalog is
> > generated and the pages full of info are created. At that point I may have,
> > on a single page, one item with a 5 sentence description followed by an item
> > with a single sentence description followed by another with an 8 sentence
> > description. I want the third item to slide up. Is that possible? If not, I
> > will keep looking for a professional publishing package that can do this
> > simple task.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> In step 5 (2003) or step 3 (2007) create new publication. You can edit the
> >> results and change the text boxes and/or page setup.
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> "Oceaneer" <Oceaneer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:09ECFAF4-3092-4BAC-8067-ADC19553D094@microsoft.com...
> >> > It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap 
> >> > together
> >> > when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some
> >> > descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short
> >> > descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big 
> >> > gap.
> >> > Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the 
> >> > previous
> >> > textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML,
> >> > for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other.
> >> >
> >> > The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire
> >> > formatted contents out into a single textbox or text flow of some sort. It
> >> > looks like I will have to try to do some sort of merge into Word to get all
> >> > of the text together so I can then laboriously copy and paste one large 
> >> > text
> >> > stream into publisher. I am trying to make a fund raiser brochure for an
> >> > auction (a catalog of auction items).
> >> >
> >> > Any suggestions? Thanks!
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
Oceaneer (5)
4/11/2008 5:38:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Inconsistency between global catalog in root and global catalog in child domains
Hi, I have a very strange problem in my AD. It seems that there is an inconsistence between global catalog in the root domain and global catalog in the child domains. Global catalog on all root domain controllers are identical. Global catalog on all child domain controllers are identical. However (at least) one orphaned object exist in the global catalog on the child DC's, but not in global catalog on the root DC's. The object is not accessible through adsiedit, ldp, etc. and thus we cannot delete it. Does anybody have a good idea on how to get this object deleted. How the inco...

Re: CListViewCtrl and variable sub-item colours.
Hi All I have a CListViewCtrl using the report mode style. I wish to vary the background colours of some sub-items. Some will be displayed normal, others on a mild green background, others on a mild red background. Any ideas or examples on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Did you get an answer for this yet? The easiest way to make minor changes to controls like a list control, is to implement the "custom draw" feature (note: not owner draw, which is more complicated). See http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/lvcustomdraw.asp Regards, Mike "Larry...

Where do I find the Product Catalog
Help me out please, I know I've seen it once but I just can't find the right screen. What application/URL do I need to open, my current http://sbs:5555 - settings link doesn't show the product catalog even under administrator In CRM 3.0, the Product Catalog is on the main "Settings" screen. "TheComputerGuy (PF)" <TheComputerGuyPF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA477C15-6FD1-4A98-BF02-4B00766C5F77@microsoft.com... > Help me out please, I know I've seen it once but I just can't find the > right > screen. What appl...

Mail merge issues/ security delays with using Word to create merged emails
Hi, I recently updated my officed product to OFfice 2000 sp-1 then 2 then 3. Before updating I had no troubles using Word to merge emails. However since updating I now get a HIGHLY annoying and TIME consuming window that asks me permission to automatically generate an outgoing email. Then I have to WAIT 5 second and CLICK YES per merged email. If you are trying to maintain a list of some sort and send 50-100 emails, this is indeed very annoying. Any assitance to eliminate or by-pass this step would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Peter I don't think there's anything to get...

Equation of items value
Dears, We have GP 10.0 SP2, we’re using average cost for inventory items. We’re trying to make an equation for inventory value from inventory module Equation of value = (IV BB + ADJ IN + PUR RCT + Sales Returns) – (Sales Invoices + ADJ OUT). We’re using the Smartlist inventory transactions to get above data, and filter by document type for each part, the result of this report should tie to the result of stock status Report since we are working on a snap shot of 2008 “no TRX in 2009 entered” so when we export the item QTY from Smart list with current cost the result of “QTY * Current Cost...

Mail Merge Template sharing issue?
Hi, When developing a word template, publish it and upgrading it's policy to organization it behavious different. The difference lies that on the developing station, the word document starts without the internet explorer invoking or without the question of retrieving the sql data, while on a users workstation everything has to be setup again (connect tot sql string, push the CRM button). I'm referring to word 2007 and word 2003 xml documents. ergo; the templates behave like it should only on the developing workstation. Any clues? Thanks in advance, Jan ...

Assembly Items
We've added some assembly items, which seem to be working fine - but we cannot 'manage' them! In the help section it states that there is a menu item on the database menu to list/manage assembly items, but it isn't there!! So how do I manage the assembly items I've added?? Assembly items appear in the item list - they are marked with Item Type = "A". select one of these items and click "Properties" and you will get a special properties screen for assembly items. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.co...

Page Numbering & First page Different 2007
Page numbering and controlling the first page is wrong most the time. Is there an alternative by going thru fields and stopping the first page from having a number on it. Word is too capricious, forgets where it is, etc... Hi, Detailed instructions for adding page numbers in Word 2007 are given in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012265131033.aspx . If you are placing your page numbers in headers or footers, the section-specific settings that you configure according to those instructions override any switches that you might add to the PAGE field. If you keep this ru...

view tasks, calendar items and inbox at the same time
Hi, is it possible to view tasks, calendar items and the inbox at the same time? Background: I would like to schedule with the calendar. Unscheduled items are stored in tasks. As inbox items occur they either are done immediately, or they become a task, or moved into the calendar for further processing. I=B4m using outlook 2003 with XP. Any help would be nice, Barny barnybe <barnybe@gmx.de> wrote: > is it possible to view tasks, calendar items and the inbox at the same > time? Not in the same window. You can display the Taskpad int he Calendar view (View>Taskpad), but yo...

Email being sent directly to Deleted Items folder
I am having some email go directly to the Deleted Items folder rather than appearing in my Inbox. I have no rule. I have junk mail filering set to High. "Permanently Delete Suspected Junk Email Instead of Moving it to the Junk Email folder" is unchecked. Why is this happening? OS Window XP all SPs and paths loaded Outlook 2003 all SPs and paths loaded Thanks, Will Will Fleenor <will@k2e.com> wrote: > I am having some email go directly to the Deleted Items folder rather > than appearing in my Inbox. I have no rule. I have junk mail > filering set to Hig...

how to change stub height on statement?
The default stub height on the statement.xml is 3 inches. I want to change this to 3.5 inches, but when I change the StubHeight value in the xml file to 3.5, it moves the stub border down to 3.5" correctly, but messes up the rest of the statement below the payment stub. The variable I changed must affect other parts of the statement. How can I avoid this? Thanks, kevin never mind, i re-printed a few times and was unable to repeat the printing error, could have just been a fluke. on the first print after changing the stubheight property, the account summary and account receivab...

Catalog Merge with MySql
Hello, I've setup catalog merge using MySql as the data source. But I'm confused how I would setup one aspect. I have a table in the database that contains my products and then a table that has the pictures associated with those products. I'm not sure how to setup publisher to show the pictures for the products. Any help would be great. Thanks, Sandy I have found that if you put your data base and pictures into the same folder you will save yourself some grief. In the picture field of your data base you only need to put the picture name and format without having to type the...

Difference between WM_APP and WM_USER
What is the difference between WM_APP and WM_USER ? What is for each used? nicetom786@yahoo.com wrote: > What is the difference between WM_APP and WM_USER ? > What is for each used? > WM_USER is nowadays used by MFC and maybe some newer controls. It used to be reserved for your use but Microsoft broke the reservation. WM_APP is reserved for you to use for custom messages within your app. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] Range Meaning 0 through WM_USER-1 Messages reserved for use by the system. WM_USER through 0x7FFF Integer messages for use by private window...

Merge Customer Accounts
Does anyone have a way to merge customer accounts? Hi Butch - there's an article in the knowledgebase on customersource that explains how to do this by running queries against the database. Make sure you first make a backup of your database before attempting anything however. hth kevin "Butch" wrote: > Does anyone have a way to merge customer accounts? > > > Butch, If you have access to CustomerSource; http://tinyurl.com/hdt9u -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see...

Should be able to assign a different checkbook to different store
I would like to be able to assign a different Checkbook ID to each store. We deposit to different accounts for bank reconciliation reasons and now have to manually change each transaction that is imported to GP ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://w...

Merging 2 publications
I have 2 different MS Publisher publications, both multiple pages. I want to merge them into 1 publication. One has a text file that overflows to text boxes on multiple pages. "Copy all objects on page" seems to only work within a single publication. Open Publisher twice with a file in each. Cut and paste. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Volunteer" <Volunteer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FE25F04-3F8D-46D2-8533-1C5D4652072B@microsoft.com... > I have 2 different MS Publisher publications, both multiple pages. I want to > merge them into 1 ...

PST File merging?
We recently set up a new 2003 e-mailserver. We had to create mailboxes and then import PST files. My question is that some people are missing a few pieces of mail, contacts, and personel distribution lists. If I merge a PST file from a week ago with a mailbox that is working now, will it just add the differcence in the content or will the contents of the mailbox be replaced with the PST file entirely? Regards, Merge data into the target store (Default selection) This option causes the program to merge data into the target store. Before copying any messages in a folder to the target st...

How to merge multiple Inbox.dbx
Is ther eany way I ca n merge Inbox.dbx from multiple folders? I've multiple user who logs on the PC, If I start outlook with signing them off, the inbox get created under there home directory, so now I've about five places where I've INBOX.dbx, is anyone out there know how to merge all together? thanks for your time This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.wind...

form to specify copies of different reports
Hello, I have a table with two fields, spec type and report name. The report name is not visible to the user, it is a field with the title of the report. So if a person clicks on the type of spec in a different field, it looks up the report name and opens it in print preview. Now, I would like to take this one step further and have a continuous form with a list of all of the types for which reports are available (query that says reportname is not null) AND has a box for "quantity" which would specify how many copies of the report (which are all one page, unbound reports). So t...

autofit catalog merge area for catalog merge
I would like to use the catalog merge area to merge rows of data into a brochure. The amount of data in each row may vary so I'd like the catalog merge area to autofit as it merges, as opposed to having large blank areas for some merged cells and truncated text in others. Any ideas? You could convert the brochures into a publication in step 5 and adjust the areas. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "EM" <EM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:653A15BF-B4A5-48A1-ABD5-972116584D64@micro...

Shipment/Invoice Needs to Allow Different Date for Invoice
Right now the Processing of a Shipment/Invoice in Receiving Transaction Entry (Version 9.0) generates an Invoice that has the same date as the Receiver. This can create issues with when the inovice is processed for payment and with discounts taken that a vendor may dispute. (the invoice date does not match the vendor's invoice date ). If you change the date used when processing this transaction to be the invoice date and not the receipt date, then that creates problems with not giving a true representation of when the product was actually received, especially if the date is around...

When I send emails, they aren't appearing in the sent items folde.
Kerrie <Kerrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Have you enabled the option to save sent messages in the Sent Items folder? -- Brian Tillman Have you checked the view in your Sent Items folder? Make sure it's not set to Unread Messages. Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza > > > ...

Merge Data in tables
I am trying to merge a data base into a table. I want to fill out some name tag fillers and when I do the "merge" it puts the same name in all 8 of the cells. How do I make it put different names in different cells? I am using Publisher 2000. Set up the sheet size for one name tag, then do 8-up when you print.. "Ralph S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1254d01c417f9$fa6d9e40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to merge a data base into a table. I want to > fill out some name tag fillers and when I do the "merge" > it...

Dataset Merge / getchanges just adding records?
I'm using the following subroutine. The two different XML files are identical with the exception of three additional records in the second one. One has 450 records, and the other has 453. After merging, I get 903 records. I guess what I expected was 3 records; just the differences in the two. The two tables have the exact same structure, etc.... So am I misinterpreting how to do this? It seems to me that the merge should produce only three new records! Private Sub btnStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStart.Click Dim dsOld As Data...

Help, trying to merge and purge
Hello I've been learning Access for my job and I have been doing quite well on my own, although I have run into a problem. I have to update our database with new records, and the way my boss wants to do this is take our new records (which are already in .mdb format of course) and merge them with the record we currently have. Then he wants me to purge all of the duplicate records, so that our new database as our old records and our new records without any duplicates. Would anyone a good way to go about this? Thank you. The problem is simple if there's only 1 table, but get c...