Adobe Distiller Crashes certain large Publisher files

I am trying to convert certain files in Publisher to PDF files using the Adobe Distiller.  Most files work ok, but certain ones that have a lot of data crash publisher every time.  This is not just on one terminal.  The same error occurrs with the same files on other terminals in our office.  What could be some possible causes and solutions?  Thanks.
0
anonymous (74717)

Outside of the fact that you haven't told us any details about your software
versions.........how large is this file? I've converted >5MB files with no
problem.

"cchtmpls" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to convert certain files in Publisher to PDF files using the
Adobe Distiller.  Most files work ok, but certain ones that have a lot of
data crash publisher every time.  This is not just on one terminal.  The
same error occurrs with the same files on other terminals in our office.
What could be some possible causes and solutions?  Thanks.

0
jl_amerson (3088)
12/18/2003 7:32:02 PM
Print the Publisher files to the Adobe Generic Postscript printer driver,
then use Distiller to create the PDF.

donotknock (1942)
12/18/2003 8:26:34 PM
Thank you for the suggestion.  Sadly, the Adobe Generic PostScript printer driver did not work.  Here are the specs:

Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Adobe Acrobat Distiller 5.0
Publisher 2000
Windows 98 Second Edition

The error is caused by trying to print to the Acrobat Distiller from Publisher
The error is an illegal operation shut down error:
"MSPUB caused a general protection fault in module GDI.EXE"

Any more tips?
0
anonymous (74717)
12/18/2003 9:11:08 PM
That is easily fixed.

Go to the website of your video card manufacturer and download and install
the latest version of the video driver making sure you have the correct
model and type of your video card.

donotknock (1942)
12/18/2003 9:21:29 PM
It fascinates me that the video drivers can affect so much with Publisher.
When I was having some weird glitches earlier this year, I remembered you'd
recommended updating the video driver to someone else. I thought you were a
bit off but it was worth trying. And darn it! It worked.  :-)

"���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message
> That is easily fixed.
>
> Go to the website of your video card manufacturer and download and install
> the latest version of the video driver making sure you have the correct
> model and type of your video card.

jl_amerson (3088)
12/19/2003 1:58:45 AM
Add me to the list of converting large pub files to pdf.  Over the last
couple of years have converted several files exceeding 20 mb. But I don't
use the spendy Acrobat, I use PDF-XChange.  And it's a one step speedy
operation.  At Donald's station, "If you can hear light, it's us."
Shazam!  Darn! Now my cape is in the way.

--
Don
--------

"JL Amerson" <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Outside of the fact that you haven't told us any details about your
software
> versions.........how large is this file? I've converted >5MB files with no
> problem.
>
> "cchtmpls" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to convert certain files in Publisher to PDF files using the
> Adobe Distiller.  Most files work ok, but certain ones that have a lot of
> data crash publisher every time.  This is not just on one terminal.  The
> same error occurrs with the same files on other terminals in our office.
> What could be some possible causes and solutions?  Thanks.

0
Engineer1 (288)
12/19/2003 4:27:26 AM
These issues are a pain when they are unknown.
Sadly, we are at the end of what we can suggest.
There are no issues at all printing from any version of Publisher, and
normally a GDI error would always point to the video driver.
I have never heard of any issues with the Adobe Generic printer driver.
The only thing you can do, and I can virtually guarantee it will work, is to
start Windows in SAFE MODE and then create the PDF file.
Post back with the result.

donotknock (1942)
12/19/2003 6:54:54 AM
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
from Don Schmidt <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa>...
> Add me to the list of converting large pub files to pdf.  Over the
> last couple of years have converted several files exceeding 20 mb.
> But I don't use the spendy Acrobat, I use PDF-XChange.  And it's a
> one step speedy operation.  At Donald's station, "If you can hear
> light, it's us." Shazam!  Darn! Now my cape is in the way.

If we're making a list, you can add me to it
I converted a 300+MB file to PDF last year.
I also created a 3gb PostScript file using the Distiller driver a couple of
weeks ago, but it refused to distill

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
12/19/2003 5:28:39 PM
I was able to install the latest video driver for my system, but the same error occurrs.  I was able to get it created in safe mode, however, without error.  Who else should I try to contact next about fixing this, if you can offer nothing else

Thank you for your help!  It is very appreciated!
0
anonymous (74717)

Adobe
Which editions of Adobe Acrobat will enable the emailing of PDFs? I know Adobe Acrobat Professional will (that's what we use), but my client wants to spend as little as possible. Both the Standard and Elements editions can create PDF documents. ------=_NextPart_0001_06E71395 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, The requirement for emailing reports as PDF files from Microsoft Dynamics is any Adobe Acrobat edition which has either Acrobat Distiller or PDFWriter. Visit the following url for an Adobe product comparison - http://www.adobe.com/product...

email from publisher #2
I currently use Outlook Express for mail and will eventually change to Outlook. However, when using pubisher to send a document as an email, Publisher has changed the directory and is no longer using my Express contacts. How do I switch this back? Also can anyone tell me the bennifits of Outlook over express and how to carry over all the contacts from Express. Thank Avi. Avi, Your question could be better answered by posting to the Outlook Express or Office Outlook newsgroup. microsoft.public.windows.inetexplores.ie6_outlookexpress or microsoft.public.outlook "Avi" <Avi@dis...

Outlook crashes
Hi, I have recieved a mail that causes Outlook to immediately crash when I start it, so I can�t remove the mail the normal way. Is there any other way to remove the actual mail? Grateful for any advice. /borje B�rje Samuelsson wrote: > Hi, > I have recieved a mail that causes Outlook to immediately crash > when I start it, so I can�t remove the mail the normal way. > > Is there any other way to remove the actual mail? > > Grateful for any advice. > > /borje Sorry. This is a newsgroup dedicated to questions about Access, the database program in Office Pro...

Office Publisher
I can see my photo along the clipart and font on print preview and on the print screen but it doesn't print, how can I get it to print? "DoodleBug" wrote: > I can see my photo along the clipart and font on print preview and on the > print screen but the photo doesn't print, how can I get it to print? Look at the Advanced print settings options on the print page, be certain you have Print full-resolution linked graphics enabled. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "DoodleBug" <DoodleBug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

After reinstalling Publisher I cannot ungroup clipart
I had to reinstall Publisher XP on my computer. Since the reinstall, I can no longer ungroup ASPX and WMF clipart. When I ungroup these clips, they become transparent--nothing left by the handles. Any suggestions? Did you install the Office XP service packs? Where are you acquiring an aspx graphics file? Are you copying the image from the Microsoft ClipArt site? Could be your cache is full, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Stitchy" <Stitchy@discussions.microso...

Publisher Font problem
Hi all, I can not use all the fonts that are installed in Publisher 2003. All of these fonts are available in Word 2003, but in Publisher they do not work. Two examples are Bradley Hand ITC and Forte. Thanks for any help. Maybe a detect and repair. Or TweakUI, it has a font folder repair. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx It is strange, if you install Publisher 2003 as a standalone these two fonts are included. I don't know why they won't work for you. Fonts that are installed with Office http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

how do i locate student data files in excell
I am a student trying to use microsoft office xp for students and teachers, I am having trouble finding the storage location of the student data files. Hi what student data files are you refering to? Cheers JulieD "vigilba" <vigilba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A661A92A-7C40-462C-85AF-7ED1D496E926@microsoft.com... >I am a student trying to use microsoft office xp for students and teachers, >I > am having trouble finding the storage location of the student data files. ...

Excel 2007 Crashing Problem #2
My company has been riddled with Excel 2007 crashing since we started migrating to the 07 suite. Two users who prominently use Excel for their job tasks have seen many issues mainly when converting .xls documents to .xlsx. The common theme i have seen here has been file size and weather or not the file contains links. Both users also work heavily with graphs. My question is, has there been reported problems with converting large excel files to the new format? Or has there been a graphing problem? ...

Excel 2003 to 95 File format conversion
I've donated my old computer and software to a non-profit and need to convert files down from Excel 2003 to Excel 95. My HELP file refers to a "Microsoft Excel 97-2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook format" but I haven't been able to find it. Has it been discontinued? Hi, Judith. First, I don't recommend saving in multiple formats if they won't need them because it just makes the file bigger. I have Excel 2003 and Excel 5.0/95 and the one you mention are both available from the Files of type dropdown. Perhaps you didn't do a complete installation of Excel/Office? ***...

Only allowing certain users to access my Excel spreadsheet
How can I allow certain people to access my excel spreadsheet? Password protect it and give them the password. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "corky" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0288C2D5-E80A-4E72-A2C4-518F4988BCF2@microsoft.com... > How can I allow certain people to access my excel spreadsheet? ...

Parsing XML file
I'm trying to parse a XML file and extract a few data elements. I'm having trouble extracting the exact elements. I get the entire content of the XML file in the text box currently. I can't figure out how to just get the elements/attirbutes that I want. This is being done in Visual Web Developer Express. The code I have so far is: Dim sr As New System.IO.StreamReader("C:\test123\upload\" + FileUpload1.FileName) Dim xr As New System.Xml.XmlTextReader(sr) Dim m_xmld = New System.Xml.XmlDocument Dim m_nodelist As...

Word Hangs on File, Open
Hi -- My Word 2008 hangs everytime I do a File, Open. It is ok when I do File, Open Recent or any other menu item. I tried deleting the plist file in preferences with no luck. Any ideas? Is there a way to reload Word for Mac? It is more than annoying because I forget about the issue periodically and lose open work in Word due to having to force quit the app. Thanks! First & Foremost: Do Not reinstall Office. The files & issues that cause such problems are not a part of the installation & don't get repaired or replaced by reinstalling. That is a "l...

How do I center my web page in publisher
I created a web page in publisher but it puts it to the right of the screen. How can I center it so it will show up in the center of the screen. Philip Philip wrote: > I created a web page in publisher but it puts it to the > right of the screen. How can I center it so it will show > up in the center of the screen. > > Philip RIght - you sure? All Publisher sites align to the left. And in answer to your question, TTBOMK you can't. Though I'm sure Davd B will tell you otherwise. www.davidbartosik.com/faq.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: ww...

HELP! Money 2004 Crashes when Closing
I had to reformat reinstall my entire computer. All went well, except I'm having trouble with Money. Now, I cannot backup. When I do, the program freezes up. When I try to exit, I get "internal application error" and have to close out using the three finger salute. Following this, I restart money, and the database is reported to be invalid/corrupt. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, and the problem stays. Any suggestions? Kenny Try opening the Sample.MNY file in the program files\microsoft money folder. If it works, see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=104. "Kenny&...

How do I change dates on an inserted calendar in Publisher?
Publisher 2003 had an easy way to just change the month on an already formatted calendar. How do I do this in Publisher 2007? New, on the Format Publication task pane, click Apply a Template. Select calendars. All your choices are on the right. You may have to scroll down to see the "Set Calendar Dates...". -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "RonMGEe" <RonMGEe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC47AF6D-715E-4ABD-9752-05D634FD9C69@microsoft.com... > Publisher 2003 had an eas...

Outlook 2000 on Win98 Crash problem
Lately when I start up Outlook 2000 or Explorer there is a good chance a box will come up telling me the program in question performed an illegal action and will be shut down. This happens when I either start Explorer (for which I have a web page as the home page) or Outlook begins examining an e-mail with html encoding. When that happens the only option I have is to reboot and hope it doesn't happen the next time. I don't know what's causing it or what the best fix is. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

The File As field is empty, do you want to save this file. Outlo.
I created a contact folder with my own field names. After entering the data I want when I move to the next row of data I get this error message, "The File As field is empty. You may have not entered a name or company. Do you want to save this contact with an empty File As field?" How do I correct this error? Thanks -- Terry It's a warning, not an error. Sounds like you need to set up your data entry view so you can enter the Full Name or Company, which Outlook will automatically use to generate a File As name. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Out...

How to get rid of adobe
I have Outlook 2003 on WinXP. I also have Adobe Acrobat 6. Every time I want to create a new e-mail message, and annoying Attach as Adobe pdf icon appears on a toolbar that fills up a full extra line, thereby reducing my working screen area. Although I can make it go away through View | Toolbars | uncheck Adobe open the Attach as Adobe pdf toolbar, it comes back with the very next new message. I.e., getting rid of it doesn't get rid of it even during the time I have Outlook open. Is there some way to get rid of this unwanted, annoying-but-persistent feature? Thanks. -- Bob In news:ba...

old program, new program Publisher
I have MS Publisher 2003 on computer, My son instaled MS publisher 2.0a from 1991-1993 now when I try to open anything I have done on 2003 the old program takes over and can not open the file. I haved looked for the older program to uninstall but all I can find is the 2003 program. Can someone please help?!!! two4ever2002 <two4ever2002@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have MS Publisher 2003 on computer, My son instaled MS publisher > 2.0a from 1991-1993 now when I try to open anything I have done on > 2003 the old program takes over and can no...

Linking files issues
Hi all, I use the 'Insert files' quite a lot, but keep encountering and issue with it. If I link to a Word document, for example, and make alterations from within ON, it doesn't seem to keep the correct sync. For example, if I make amendments straight in the Word doc (ie, not by opening it via ON) and then open the same doc via ON, it opens an older copy. Now I know for sure that there is only the one copy of this Word document and ON indicates it's looking at it, but it seems to be looking at an older version. Does anyone have any clues? Cheers, Dayve Wha...

Recovering drafts when Word crashes
Hi -- I'm using Word as my email editor. I had a long draft email open when Word crashed. Unlike the Word documents which were recoverable through the Auto-Recovery feature, I can't see to recover those draft emails. I had been saving the drafts, and they appear in my Outlook drafts folder. However, when I double-click on them to open them up, I get the following message: "Can't open this item." Any thoughts??!! Thanks, Robin ...

Legend changes after closing file
I have a chart that contains a 2 series bar chart, a line chart and an xy chart (for the purpose of making a verticle line to divide two sections of the chart). In my legend i want to show both series for the bar chart and the line chart - not the xy chart. When I delete the xy chart from the legend it appears fine. Once I save my file, exit and re-open the file my legend is missing one series of the bar chart and in puts the xy chart in place of it. I've tried fixing it several times. Any suggestions? btw I'm using 2007 "Ashley" wrote: > I have a chart that c...

Missing INF file
PC crashed Running Windows XP Home Edition Have fixed the crash but have a problem that I did not have before Trying to put a HP J3680 Office Jet Multi Function printer working but get an error saying INF file missing Any help would be appreciated TIA JMed wrote: > PC crashed > Running Windows XP Home Edition > Have fixed the crash but have a problem that I did not have before > Trying to put a HP J3680 Office Jet Multi Function printer working > but get an error saying INF file missing > Any help would be appreciated > > TIA Did you try uni...

VBA
Hi! I would like to close a file without saving changes to the file. The file to close: "Cost.dat" Filename is assigned to a variable - cost = "C:\My Documents\Cost.dat" I am using the code: Workbooks(cost).Close savechanges:=0 I get error message: Subscript out of range Thanks in advance! You don't supply the drive and folder to the workbooks collection. You'll have to separate it so that it looks more like: workbooks("cost.dat").close savechanges:=false But another way is to use a variable to represent that workbook. dim CostWkbk as workboo...

How to split one big schema file into several small files
I want to split one big schema file into some small schema files. So I can replace or update or extend the current schema in the different verion of applications. Any one know any good ideas, or some samples? Thanks in advance. ...