"Publisher cannot open the file" error. AHH!

I have a catalog I've been updating for publication at the end of Feb.  I've
got many hours into the rehash.  I last worked on it 1/24.  I opened it
tonight... got the error of "Publisher cannot open the file".  I ran error
recovery on reboot, I copied the file and tried to open the copy... all to no
avail.  I had autorecovery turned on, but there is nothing I can find for any
sort of backup.  I tried a couple recovery apps, but I don't care about the
text, I need the layout/images/text as a whole.
I had a hunch and noticed I did a Microsoft Update on the system the same
day.  Anyone else have such a problem?

Publisher 2002
WinXP Media Center

--
Marc A. Mercier, Web / Catalog Designer
The Sausage Source, LLC

Well, I uninstalled all the updates installed by Windows Updater, removed
WinPub2002 and restarted.  I removed the Office>Publisher left behind in the
registry.  I reinstalled WinPub2002... no go.  I just installed 2007 trial...
no go.
I told the owner a year or so back after our first catalog that Publisher
isn't pro software for what we need to do.  It's fine for his mailing labels,
product labels, etc, but not when you're doing a 32+ pg full color catalog.
I mentioned it again today now that he knows I've lost a weeks work and as
far as he's concerned the 'catalog is gone'.  Happy not are we.  FINALLY
he'll consider purchasing InDesign... but no learning curve time since the
deadline is Feb 29th so I'll be rehashing the catalog in WinPub2002.  Luckily
I still have last year's catalog on hand and WinPub2002 *will* open that
file... time to start over.  If anyone has any suggestions, etc... let me
know... there's a company t-shirt, hat or whatever in it for you if it works.
--

"LinkBratwurst" wrote:

> I have a catalog I've been updating for publication at the end of Feb.  I've
> got many hours into the rehash.  I last worked on it 1/24.  I opened it
> tonight... got the error of "Publisher cannot open the file".  I ran error
> recovery on reboot, I copied the file and tried to open the copy... all to no
> avail.  I had autorecovery turned on, but there is nothing I can find for any
> sort of backup.  I tried a couple recovery apps, but I don't care about the
> text, I need the layout/images/text as a whole.
> I had a hunch and noticed I did a Microsoft Update on the system the same
> day.  Anyone else have such a problem?
>
> Publisher 2002
> WinXP Media Center
>
> --
> Marc A. Mercier, Web / Catalog Designer
> The Sausage Source, LLC

I just finished a 32 pg 4 over 4 theater playbill and it looked great. I do
two of them a year with Publisher...various versions and have only had
problems when I've used last year's as a template (only happened once).  I
also have InDesign but I can work faster in Publisher.

You may want to send someone your file and see if they can open it in
Publisher.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"LinkBratwurst" <LinkBratwurst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Well, I uninstalled all the updates installed by Windows Updater, removed
| WinPub2002 and restarted.  I removed the Office>Publisher left behind in
the
| registry.  I reinstalled WinPub2002... no go.  I just installed 2007
trial...
| no go.
| I told the owner a year or so back after our first catalog that Publisher
| isn't pro software for what we need to do.  It's fine for his mailing
labels,
| product labels, etc, but not when you're doing a 32+ pg full color
catalog.
| I mentioned it again today now that he knows I've lost a weeks work and as
| far as he's concerned the 'catalog is gone'.  Happy not are we.  FINALLY
| he'll consider purchasing InDesign... but no learning curve time since the
| deadline is Feb 29th so I'll be rehashing the catalog in WinPub2002.
Luckily
| I still have last year's catalog on hand and WinPub2002 *will* open that
| file... time to start over.  If anyone has any suggestions, etc... let me
| know... there's a company t-shirt, hat or whatever in it for you if it
works.
| --
| Marc A. Mercier, Web / Catalog Designer
| The Sausage Source, LLC
|

| "LinkBratwurst" wrote:
|
| > I have a catalog I've been updating for publication at the end of Feb.
I've
| > got many hours into the rehash.  I last worked on it 1/24.  I opened it
| > tonight... got the error of "Publisher cannot open the file".  I ran
error
| > recovery on reboot, I copied the file and tried to open the copy... all
to no
| > avail.  I had autorecovery turned on, but there is nothing I can find
for any
| > sort of backup.  I tried a couple recovery apps, but I don't care about
the
| > text, I need the layout/images/text as a whole.
| > I had a hunch and noticed I did a Microsoft Update on the system the
same
| > day.  Anyone else have such a problem?
| >
| > Publisher 2002
| > WinXP Media Center
| >
| > --
| > Marc A. Mercier, Web / Catalog Designer
| > The Sausage Source, LLC

0
webmaster911 (1600)
1/31/2008 5:00:37 PM
I've done 2-1/2 of these catalogs.  I guess the reasons for my issues are
(referring to other posts):
* I opened the previous revisions, did a save-as to the new name & did my
modifications (which shouldn't matter)
* I installed the updates 894540, 894541, 894542
* Adding a PromptForBadFiles key in the registry did nothing for 2002.  2007
comes up with "Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to
open. To protect your computer, Publisher will not open the file."  When I
click ok, I get the "Publisher cannot open the file" error.
* Ctrl-Shift-I didn't work on 2002.  2007 does work and gives me an error of
1100009.

--

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

> I just finished a 32 pg 4 over 4 theater playbill and it looked great. I do
> two of them a year with Publisher...various versions and have only had
> problems when I've used last year's as a template (only happened once).  I
> also have InDesign but I can work faster in Publisher.
>
> You may want to send someone your file and see if they can open it in
> Publisher.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rob Giordano
> Microsoft MVP Expression
I'd be happy to try to open your file.

Did you try all the steps outlined in this article?
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us

Publisher will balk if you have a damaged or outdated printer driver. Norton can
be troublesome as well.

mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> I've done 2-1/2 of these catalogs.  I guess the reasons for my issues are
> (referring to other posts):
> * I opened the previous revisions, did a save-as to the new name & did my
> modifications (which shouldn't matter)
> * I installed the updates 894540, 894541, 894542
> * Adding a PromptForBadFiles key in the registry did nothing for 2002.  2007
> comes up with "Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to
> open. To protect your computer, Publisher will not open the file."  When I
> click ok, I get the "Publisher cannot open the file" error.
> * Ctrl-Shift-I didn't work on 2002.  2007 does work and gives me an error of
> 1100009.
>
> --
> Marc A. Mercier, Web / Catalog Designer
> The Sausage Source, LLC
>

> "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
>
>> I just finished a 32 pg 4 over 4 theater playbill and it looked great. I do
>> two of them a year with Publisher...various versions and have only had
>> problems when I've used last year's as a template (only happened once).  I
>> also have InDesign but I can work faster in Publisher.
>>
>> You may want to send someone your file and see if they can open it in
>> Publisher.
>>

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Rob Giordano
>> Microsoft MVP Expression

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/31/2008 5:50:04 PM
Thank you for the offer Mary.  Sent a pre-email to you.  Standard stuff...
NDAs, proof of bonding request, etc.  (KIDDING!).  Can't do the whole file.
Did .rar chunks of 8mb each.  That okay?
I did try everything I could find in the newsgroup.  SOL.  I appreciate
another set of eyes.
--

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I'd be happy to try to open your file.
>
> Did you try all the steps outlined in this article?
> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
>
> Publisher will balk if you have a damaged or outdated printer driver. Norton can
> be troublesome as well.
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/

Publisher 2003- message
I have used Publisher for a 120+ page "news letter" for the past 5 years. Upgraded to 2003 early last year. Have had a problem with fonts changing indescriminately (no sollution as yet). Latest problem - having spent many hours on a new document which includes grafics and text - I received the message - Publisher cannot open the file. HELP PLEASE Surely after 5 years you have a backup or two. It is never a good idea to use the same document over and over without re-saving it with a new name. Maybe you have a copy in a temporary folder Type %temp% in the address bar of Wind...

"Publisher cannot open the file" error
When I try to open a Publisher 2003 file in Publisher 2007 I am getting a "Publisher cannot open the file" error message. I've seen all the comments about SP2 and the Hotfix but I've tried the Hotfix and uninstalling SP2 but neither helped. I can open some 2003 but not all and the weird thing is that I used to be able to open the files without any issue. Any suggestions would be welcome. I had the same issue (you may have seen my previous post) and ended up submitting a paid incident to Microsoft. In short, if you open certain publisher files from previous versions be...

Publisher cannot open the file #5
Keep getting a 'Publisher cannot open the file' error message but it i a publisher file and opened okay previously. I can also open othe publisher file but not this particular one (which I desperately need a Sod's law dictates). Tried renaming the file and made sure it wasn' read only to now avail. Please help!!! Yours, Deseperate PS Using Publisher 200 -- alainejose Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Look in your temp folder to see if Publisher created a temporary file. Type %temp% in the address bar of Windows Explorer. Look for files that have a pub prefix, renam...

"Publisher Cannot open the file!!"
hello, lasty year i created a 52page catolouge for work in pub, i need to update this but unfortunatly it has told me that "Publisher Cannot open the file" i have tried all the help options i could find online and i have had no luck, there is about 2 weeks work re doing the file so i would be really happy if somone could help!! thanks russ keegan What version Publisher? Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher-x-none.msp): October 27, 2009 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976177/en-us If you have other versions of Publisher: ...

"Publisher cannot open the file"
Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the computer, copied the file to another folder but still it won't open. Any suggestions please. Chrisssss...... Chrisssssss......... wrote: || Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open || just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line || pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the || computer, copied the file to another folder ...

"Publisher cannot open the file" error message
I have been using Publisher for 2 years to maintain a monthly newsletter for my school district. Suddenly, beginning in August, any file I open from last year, edit, then save as a NEW file WILL NOT OPEN! I get "Publisher cannot open the file" error message. I've tried everything posted on the Microsoft knowledge base, but nothing is fixing this problem. My tech admin thinks it's something to do with something my computer installed to make Office 2007 files compatible with my Office 2003. Any ideas?? I need to have this fixed asap. I can't find whatever my...

"Publisher cannot open the file" error. AHH!
I have a catalog I've been updating for publication at the end of Feb. I've got many hours into the rehash. I last worked on it 1/24. I opened it tonight... got the error of "Publisher cannot open the file". I ran error recovery on reboot, I copied the file and tried to open the copy... all to no avail. I had autorecovery turned on, but there is nothing I can find for any sort of backup. I tried a couple recovery apps, but I don't care about the text, I need the layout/images/text as a whole. I had a hunch and noticed I did a Microsoft Update on the system the...

Publisher cannot open the file
I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?? Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher-x-none.msp): October 27, 2009 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976177/en-us If you have other versions of Publisher: How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256 or Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us -- Mary...

Publisher cannot open the file #8
I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to the point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box that says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved files, including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried ...

Publisher cannot open the file #6
I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating: Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document, I got the same error. Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus protection. I have not upgraded from an...

Publisher cannot open the file error 1100009
A client is using 2007 publisher to open a file created in 2003, which works fine. 2007 throws "Publisher cannot open the file". Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+I shows error code 1100009. I have searched for a while, and tried the following: 1. Installed hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972566/. But it says it is already installed. 2. Added PromptForBadFiles registry key. But the error message is the same. 3. Installed all latest Microsoft updates. The environment is Windows 2008 Terminal Server using Office 2007 Enterprise SP2. I have also tried this on Windows 7 Enterprise w...

publisher cannot open the file #4
I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for our non-profit. I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save your document, or try closing additional windows. This file on Pub 2003 was the only window open at the time. I saved the doc but when I try to open now, it says publsher cannot open the file. I can open all the other pub files but this one. Please, I spent countless hours researching historical materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print ...

Publisher cannot open the file #2
Help!!! I am using Publisher 2003. It was working in the past. It has bee activated. When I create a new document, save it, close publisher the restart it, I get the above error. I've tried uninstall (using CD) an reinstall. The reinstall does not ask for activation. So, currently I'm dead in the water. Any ideas on how to fix the problem. Davi -- DavidFarthing You are welcome to send me the file to see if I can open it. If you'd like to accept the offer, email me for an addy to send it to. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "DavidFarthing" <Da...

Publisher cannot open the file you specified
Hi On a new installation of Pub 2003 on XP, when trying to open a saved file comes up with ' Publisher cannot find the file you specified. The next dialog box will let you browse to locate the file on your hard disk or floppy disk' This seems like a systemic thing, but have run Norton Windoctor, reinstalled, but no luck, continues to get this message, or 'unable to open file'. Any suggestions please This is usually a Norton problem, disable "scrip blocking" and maybe in Norton options, disable "Office Plug-ins." You receive a "File is not avail...

Publisher cannot open the file #9
Yesterday I saved a Publisher 2007 file. Today (on the same PC) I cannot re-open the file; I get an error message "Publisher cannot open the file.". Any suggestions? Having EXACT same problem! Error #1100009 Have tried articles 928890, 198256 and even a hot fix (would not run - came back with error 40) Please help! "Jim W" wrote: > Yesterday I saved a Publisher 2007 file. Today (on the same PC) I cannot > re-open the file; I get an error message "Publisher cannot open the file.". > Any suggestions? The hotfix was from article 972566 - retu...

publisher cannot open the file #7
We saved a file in Publisher on the network. It's a template we've used for several months. When we tried to open the file again, Publisher detected a problem with the file and stated that if the file could be trusted select OK. Then it could not open the file. Tried the .TMP file, differnet machines, copying, and renaming - no luck. The file is there, but cannot open. Is there a recvovery tool available? Publisher doesn't play well with networks. You could try moving the file to a local drive. No guarantees but it's worth trying. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Pub...

Publisher cannot open the file #3
I upgraded Office Small Business Professional 2000 to SBP 2003. Now I cannot open files created in Publisher 2000. Please help - would have never bothered to upgrade had I known this was coming! Thanks Are you running Norton Antivirus by chance? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Publisher 2003 Upgrade" <Publisher 2003 Upgrade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55771BEE-74C1-4D58-9B89-2514A06C0B3E@microsoft.com... >I upgraded Office Small Business Professional 2000 to SBP 2003. Now I >cannot > open files created in Publisher 2000. P...

Publisher Cannot Open the File #11
My client has a a computer that receives the message "Publisher Cannot Open the File" 1) All other client computers on the network can open Publisher files just fine from network resource (SBS 2003R2) 2) Computer with issue has been completely reformatted and fully patched with same result (Publisher Cannot Open the File). Copying files to local desktop does not resolve issue either. 3) I applied hotfix from kb972566. No luck. 4) Tried registry change of "PromptForBadFiles". No Luck -- Michael, Microsoft Small Business Specialist Is this Publisher 2007 by chance? ht...

Publisher cannot open the file #10
I get this error message when I try to open a couple of saved Publisher 2007 files. I can open Publisher files but there are two in particular that won't open. Furthermore, I emailed them to myself and successfully opened them on my laptop. I downloaded a hotfix that seemed to have my error code (Ctrl+Shft+I shows 1100009), to no avail. HELP!!! I too had this problem and the Hot fix worked as described earlier by Mary...see below.....My thanks to Mary This is a known issue, Microsoft has a hotfix that addresses the error. Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publis...

Publisher cannot open the file (ctrl-shift-i code = 1100009)
I have big problem..I spend more than one year to make a website, now suddenly i cant open it anymore :S. Its not my security i checked that... So if someone could help me ..I would be very thankfull. ...

popup box message; "Publisher cannot open the file"
saved as a .pub file but unable to open. popup box message "Publisher cannot open the file" What version Publisher do you have? Do you know what version Publisher was used to create the file? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "stature" <stature@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AD1D565-743D-478D-95DD-5C5358400272@microsoft.com... > saved as a .pub file but unable to open. popup box message "Publisher cannot > open the file" ...