Update Master Project

Hello,

I have two Projects located in the same folder.  They are named Master and
KTR Updates.  Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with
updates from the KTR Updates project?  Each week I receive a new KTR updates
project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was
not able to locate one.  Updates could possibly include updates in progress(%
compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish.  Updates may also have
completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks
added.  I'm primarily interested in acquring only non-rolled tasks updates.
This is a very difficult task for me as I'm novice to vba with MS Project.
Any suggestions or assistance that anyone may provide would really be a major
benefit to me because of the time it takes to update the Master manually.

Thank you so much in advance.
--
By persisting in your path, though you forfeit the little, you gain the
great.

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Question:  By "Master" do you mean that the KTR file is included in the
Master file along with some other things?"  Or, are you saying they are two
completely differnt files and you want to use information from KTR to update
some other lines in the Master?

If the KTR file is to be included (in its entirety) into theMaster file you
have already made some excellent progress ... that is putting both files in
the same folder.  We do this with subcontractor files very frequently.

Every update period, we copy the fiels to a new folder (Jauary, February,
March, etc....).  We are certain not to rename the files (KTR is always KTR,
etc).

When creating the Master file we use Insert/Project... from the main menu.
When the dialog box opens, make sure the "Linked" checkbox is selected.
Keep everyone in the same folder.  Now you can copy that folder into the
"June" folder.  When KTR submits their updates, just overwrite the file in
the Juen folder retaining its name.  When you open the Master, teh updates
are already included because teh files are linked.  One potential problem ...
if there are links (predecssors or successors) in the Master that drive tasks
in the KTR file, then this technique will not work.... the pred/successors
must only flow "up hill"
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"DavidH56" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two Projects located in the same folder.  They are named Master and
> KTR Updates.  Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with
> updates from the KTR Updates project?  Each week I receive a new KTR updates
> project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was
> not able to locate one.  Updates could possibly include updates in progress(%
> compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish.  Updates may also have
> completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks
> added.  I'm primarily interested in acquring only non-rolled tasks updates.
> This is a very difficult task for me as I'm novice to vba with MS Project.
> Any suggestions or assistance that anyone may provide would really be a major
> benefit to me because of the time it takes to update the Master manually.
>
> Thank you so much in advance.
> --
> By persisting in your path, though you forfeit the little, you gain the
> great.

Thanks Jim for your response, I had to get back to work (where i have MS
Project 2007) to answer your response.
The KTR file is a separate file located in the same folder as the Master
file.  The tasks listed in the KTR file are a subset of the Master file
tasks.  So these tasks are listed in both files.  I currently have to get new
KTR files from that division and then manually update those same lines items
or tasks items in the Master file.  The master file also has additional
tasks. Sometimes when items are completed, they will not be listed in the KTR
file.  Sometimes when new items are added, i have to manually add them to the
Master file.  The two files are not currenlty linked.  I tried linking them
tasks but kept getting error, so I started linking individual cells or
fields.  This seems to take a very long time.
--

"Jim Aksel" wrote:

> Question:  By "Master" do you mean that the KTR file is included in the
> Master file along with some other things?"  Or, are you saying they are two
> completely differnt files and you want to use information from KTR to update
> some other lines in the Master?
>
> If the KTR file is to be included (in its entirety) into theMaster file you
> have already made some excellent progress ... that is putting both files in
> the same folder.  We do this with subcontractor files very frequently.
>
> Every update period, we copy the fiels to a new folder (Jauary, February,
> March, etc....).  We are certain not to rename the files (KTR is always KTR,
> etc).
>
> When creating the Master file we use Insert/Project... from the main menu.
> When the dialog box opens, make sure the "Linked" checkbox is selected.
> Keep everyone in the same folder.  Now you can copy that folder into the
> "June" folder.  When KTR submits their updates, just overwrite the file in
> the Juen folder retaining its name.  When you open the Master, teh updates
> are already included because teh files are linked.  One potential problem ...
> if there are links (predecssors or successors) in the Master that drive tasks
> in the KTR file, then this technique will not work.... the pred/successors
> must only flow "up hill"
> --
> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>
> Jim Aksel, MVP
>
> Check out my blog for more information:
> http://www.msprojectblog.com
>

> "DavidH56" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have two Projects located in the same folder.  They are named Master and
> > KTR Updates.  Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with
> > updates from the KTR Updates project?  Each week I receive a new KTR updates
> > project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was
> > not able to locate one.  Updates could possibly include updates in progress(%
> > compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish.  Updates may also have
> > completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks
> > added.  I'm primarily interested in acquring only non-rolled tasks updates.
> > This is a very difficult task for me as I'm novice to vba with MS Project.
> > Any suggestions or assistance that anyone may provide would really be a major
> > benefit to me because of the time it takes to update the Master manually.
> >
> > Thank you so much in advance.
> > --
> > By persisting in your path, though you forfeit the little, you gain the
> > great.

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Timesheet efforts are getting under project server database
Iam entering timesheet for one period but my database project server reporting is not reflecting any efforts that i have entered?? but for some periods it is enering Thank you This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0118_01CA750B.B6AF43F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi krishna, Try posting on the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup (forum). = Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products = and other useful Project information can be seen a...

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Trying to create a flexible number of years to project cash flows
Hi I want to define the number of years that I would like to project cash flow and then have a cashflow sheet generate the number of year up and until the defined number of years in seperate columns, any ideas? ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Enter into some sheet the values for starting and last years Define those cells as named ranges (Insert.Name.Define) p.e. FirstYear and LastYear Into cell where you want your column names (as year numbers) to ...

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Printing Multiple Workbooks through Master Document?
Word has a facility to pull together multiple documents into one "master" document. I have 120 separate workbooks that need to be grouped and printed in specific orders. Unfortunately that order changes monthly. In order to print easily does Excel have master document capabilities or would a macro openening and closing specific files from an input source be better? I've tried linking and inserting the print ranges into a workbook but this has not worked. Suggestions? Hi ScottP33 If you want to have control of the order you can fill in the names of the workbooks from a d...

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...