Task w/ Multiple Resource - schedule around availability

I have a task that requires two resources to work concurrently.  It is a
series of presentations that need to occur within a single span of five
days.  Both resources must be available to attend each and every
presentation within that 5 day period.

There is work that must be complete prior to presentations, therefore
this task has a predecessor.  It so happens that one of the resources
that must perform the task is away on vacation when the predecessor
finishes.  Even though the vacation is entered as an exception in the
calendar of the resource, MS Project still schedules the presentation
task to start right after the predecessor completes, when only one of
the resources is available.

What do I need to do to have the task scheduled asap, but only when both
resources are available?

--
KevDev
KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KevDev
6/2/2010 3:08:34 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

This is explained in detail in an article I wrote about it on my website
http://users.online.be/prom-ade
and click through to Microsoft Project: an abstract

In short, DO NOT enter the absence as a holiday but as a task (with a mucst
start on constraint). Then do Resource Leveling because leveling has an
option to keep the reosurces working simultaneously.

HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"KevDev" <KevDev.4bxrpb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a task that requires two resources to work concurrently.  It is a
> series of presentations that need to occur within a single span of five
> days.  Both resources must be available to attend each and every
> presentation within that 5 day period.
>
> There is work that must be complete prior to presentations, therefore
> this task has a predecessor.  It so happens that one of the resources
> that must perform the task is away on vacation when the predecessor
> finishes.  Even though the vacation is entered as an exception in the
> calendar of the resource, MS Project still schedules the presentation
> task to start right after the predecessor completes, when only one of
> the resources is available.
>
> What do I need to do to have the task scheduled asap, but only when both
> resources are available?
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Jan
6/2/2010 6:54:46 PM
Jan:

Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.

The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.

Thanks so much,
Kevin

--
KevDev
KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KevDev
6/3/2010 1:09:06 PM
Thanks, Kevin.

--
"KevDev" <KevDev.4bzgtb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Jan:
>
> Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.
>
> The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
> resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
> appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
> our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Kevin
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Jan
6/3/2010 2:38:52 PM
Careful though - the man-hours your resource is spending on the holiday is
now included in the project's total man-hours even though it not really work
performed in driving the project's deliverables and similarly, the
resource's salary costs for those man-hours is included in the total budget.
Jan and I would have to disagree on desirablility of this method since IMHO
it artificially inflates both the work and budget for the project, adding
both work hours and costs attributed of that work into them when neither
actually exist. It's a handy way of adjusting a schedule but it severely
distorts everything else except the timeline. I tend to believe that tasks
in the project schedule should be strictly limited to physical activities
spent working on project deliverables.  Time off such as holidays,
vacations, and days off, and time spent waiting for something to happen such
as the reciept of an approval, etc, are by definition non-activity or
non-productive activity.  IMHO such factors should never be represented as
tasks since to do so implies something productive is happening in them when
in fact it's not.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"KevDev" <KevDev.4bzgtb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Jan:
>
> Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.
>
> The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
> resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
> appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
> our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Kevin
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Steve

Calendar and Tasks
Morning All, Is it possible to have the tasks show up on the calendar? Scott V No. Only beside it. you can drag a task to the calendar if you need to assign a time to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Scott Viney" <scott@kar...

Is syncing between a laptop and a PC possible w/o an exchange server?
I have a client who wants to sync his outlook calendar/mail/contacts between his desktop and his laptop. Is it possible to sync two outlook calendars/mailboxes/contacts without an exchange server? If so, how? Thanks so much! Deb See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Deb wrote: > I have a client who wants to sync his outlook > calendar/mail/contacts between his desktop and his laptop. > Is it possible to sync two outlook > calendars/mailboxes/contacts without an exchange server? > If so, how? > > Thanks so much! Deb ...

How to round number to the nearest multiple of signifiance?
I have entered the formula in my cell, and I want my result to be rounded to the nearest multiple of signifiance (for example 5). I have tried with function CEILING and FLOOR, but these functions only rounds number UP(ceiling) or DOWN(floor), so for this I have to know what my result is to rounded it. That is not the solution, I would like for Excel to do it automaticaly. Here is example: If my result is say 117.49 and lower (to the limit of 115), I want to round it to 115, if result is 117.51 and higher (to the limit of 120) to round to 120...(multiple of significance is 5). Can it be done...

Outlook Task Failure
Hi Whenever I try to assign a task in Outlook 2002 I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameters are not valid" Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks ...... Craig *** Problem Description *** Action (A): When trying to save a task item there is an error. Result (R): Could not complete the operation, one or more parameters are not valid Cause (C): Corruption to the tasks folder. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><...

Help w/auto fill or copying
I receive a downloaded report and can't change the format in which I receive the report. Therefore, I have to try and get these 20,000+ lines in a format I can use easily. This is the format of the data: Column A Column B Column C, etc.... Name 1____1001_______X _____________________X _____________________S _____________________Y Name 2____1002_______X Name 3____1003_______Y _____________________Y ____________________________________ Each name can have multiple rows of data and there are about 15 columns. I need the information for each row and my first thought was to try and ...

Concatenate Tasks With Summary Tasks in Reports
I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case someone else has other info... Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example, does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming but I also can't read the entry view as well as before. This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me. In article <FFB3AE7E-881E...

multiple regression
Hi, I need to use linear regression to make a prediction using 3 independet valuables. I went to tools->data analysis-->and chose "regression" in the pop-up window. But, after I got a window for regression, I see only two text boxes to insert independent variables though I uses 3 variables. Does anybody know how I can get a data analysis tool which is used for more than 2 independent valuables? Actually, there is only one box for the independent variables. To specify multiple independent variables simply specify the larger range. For example, if the values for the thr...

Outlook 2007
I'm trying to switch over to OL2007 from Thunderbird. I have several email accounts, some IMAP, some POP3. It really gripes me the way OL2007 handles multiple accounts. Sending an email from any of my accounts defaults to having been sent from a default account. What's so hard about composing an email from within a particular "Inbox" and having the email appear to have been sent from that account?? Instead, unless I remember to change it manually each and every time, OL2007 will cause the email will appear to have been sent from another address entirely. For example I w...

Sum by multiple
Dear all, I need the help on below; Colunm1 0.9 0.89 0.87 I need to show my results as 0.69687 (0.9*0.89*0.87) in query. I don't think Access provides a way to multiple the values in a column, so you will probably need to write a VBA function. OpenRecordset() and loop through the values to get the product. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "sq75222" <sq75222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193A32B1-1EEC-46FC-9...

CRM Task question
Hi, I have a question regarding CRM task and Outlook Task on CRM v1.2, here is the scenario: "User A uses "CRM Task" on Outlook Sales Client to create a task and assign to User B User B updates the task on Outlook only and reply (or assign) back to User A Will the updated task (from the Outlook side) be the same updated task on the CRM if we don't use Online or Offline feature?" Because what happen is my user (user A) showed me an error message stating that there is an error synchronized task (from Outlook) to CRM task. She didn't use synch...

Where can I get a doc/resource telling me which Entity is used where
Hi I am wanting to modify some of the forms/views in our MSCRM3 install. But I am having problems finding which entity is used where. Can someone let me know where I can find documentation that provides this info? TIA Antony ...

HOWTO CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding?
How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the intensive task, but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... Thanks On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:28:59 GMT, "michele" <mandelbort@oggiweb.com> wrote: >How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? >For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the >intensive task, >but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... >Thanks > Run the task in a low priority thread. ...

Bug: Delete key causes multiple inbox items to be deleted
I have to watch very closely as I delete items from my Outlook inbox using the Delete key because every once in a short while TWO entries get deleted at once. It has happened often enough and consistently enough that I am confident that I have not double-clicked the Delete key or held the Delete key down too long. If anyone else has seen this behavior and has figured out how to avoid it, please post a reply. I am running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000) on Windows 7. I just now adjusted my keyboard repeat rate. If I do not experience the problem again...

Sharing Tasks in the 2007 versions of Project and Outlook
Hi, I would like to export and work on my Project 07 tasks in Outlook 07. I am aware of how I can export them but this does not keep the link with Project. Could anyone tell me if there is a way of doing this in Microsoft or if there is an add-in I could purchase. Thanks Caz This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D7_01CAB3DB.7FC83F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Caz, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) You might like to see Companion Products an...

Multiple Outlook Inboxes for One User
Hi Everyone. How can I setup multiple Outlook Inboxes for a single user? (Outlook 2000) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Deb You can't. Outlook uses one inbox for received mails but you can move the mail based on rules. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Deb asked: | Hi Everyone. | How can I setup multiple Outlook Inboxes for a sin...

Re: Sorting
It sounds as if you have some extraneous characters in the data. If you enter =len(e1) in cell f1, do you see the number of characters you'd expect in f1, or is it a larger number? Jim "CARM" <carm@atsupply.com> wrote in message news:... > Message-ID: <ce4e212dbf2649aa8f14e58acc9f0c53@newspe.com> > X-Mailer: http://www.umailcampaign.com, ip log:65.202.51.130 > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel > NNTP-Posting-Host: 22.bb.5446.static.theplanet.com 70.84.187.34 > Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl!newspe.com > Lines: 1 > Xref: TK2MS...

Multiple indexes on same fields in different order
I sometimes need to find the largest or smallest value in a field. If I put two indexes on the same field, one in ascending order and one in descending order, is Jet smart enough to use the proper index if a give it a grouping query with the condition Max or Min, or am I just wasting resources? Pete -- This e-mail address is fake, to keep spammers and their address harvesters out of my hair. If you want to get in touch personally, I am 'pdanes' and I use yahoo mail. But please use the newsgroup when possible, so that all may benefit from the exchange of ideas. ...

add new data to specific columns in multiple worksheets
I have a very large spreadsheet that I'd like to break down into multiple worksheets. I have only three columns that I need repeated on each worksheet. When I add new data to these columns on sheet one, I'd like that data to be inserted into sheets 2 and 3 and so on. I know I can group the worksheets to accomplish this, however I'm turning the maintenance of this workbook over to someone who is completely computer illiterate and I need to make the process as simple as possible. Chances are excellent that the person who will be maintaining the data will forget to ungroup the...

OMG! Need help w/security issue
This one is truly bizarre folks!! I have an Access '97 database using a workgroup file. I have been added to that workgroup file, and granted "full rights" to the database. Yet, when I attempt to open it in Access 2002 (with the goal of converting to 2002), I cannot open the database. For that matter, neither can "Admin". Even when the OWNER of all objects within the '97 version is set to me (or Admin), the specified "owner" cannot gain access in 2002. Now, when I open the database in '97, I get in just fine. Now, here's the kicker: Wh...

task pane correction
To make the task pane go away I went under Help - Microsoft Excel Help- See Also - then clicked on - Online Content Settings and unchecked- Show Template help automatically when available. -- Diane @ SPSCA ...

Average Multiple Worksheets without blanks or zeros
Have a workbook where each worksheet is a day of the month. The last worksheet contains a running tally of each day;s information. I need to average the same cells from different worksheets while omitting the blanks and zeros, in case there is no data for an individual day. Thanks. Assume that you are having values in A1:A10 like the below (A1:A10) 66 0 88 0 (Blank) 0 0 99 (Blank) 0 Use the formula like this, which will ignore blank cells and 0 (zero) values. =SUM(A1:A10)/(COUNT(A1:A10)-COUNTIF(A1:A10,0)) Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! ----------...

Updating tasks with VBA script
I've built a scheduling tool which uses Access to create the tasks. Once the tasks are generated, they're sent to Outlook. My problem is the tasks are grouped in categories and if a due date is changed it needs to move all the following tasks by x number of days. (My keyfield ie- 57-41, then 57-42, etc. is stored in the contacts field) I had planned to first pull the data back to Access to see what dates changed. Off of that data, I'd delete the following tasks and reinsert them with the modified dates. I would prefer to do this in Outlook but do not know the Outlook object mod...

Trapping the close message when sent from the task bar button
Hi, I am using a application that uses a Tray Icon. I need to make it behave like MSN Messenger. I am almost there and one of my remaining problem is that I can't see how to trap the "close application" message that is sent when the user right clicks on the task bar and chooses "Close", I need to hide my window in the case and I only want to be able to close my application by right clicking on the tray icon and choose "Exit" Thanks a lot! Simon ...

counting rows with same values for multiple values
I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How can I count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of times different values reoccur? For example Asset1 - dept1 asset2 - dept 1 asset3-dept2 asset4-dept2 asset5-dept3 dept1 has 2 assets dept2 has 2 assets dept3 has 1 asset Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name Jon Viehe Wrote: > I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. Ho > can I > count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number o > times > different val...

Workflow generated task and changed owner
We are using a workflow to inform administration staff about a new generated order. That works fine and the task will be generated for the right CRM user. But, if we change the owner of that related order also the task previously generated by the workflow will be re-assigned to that nre owner. With CRM 3.0 it was working fine (left the task unchanged). With CRM 4.0 the task owner will be changed unexpected. The first thougt which comes to me is that it might have something to do with "Type of behaviour". Open the task entity and double click on N:1 relationship name Acco...